Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Are Monks allowed to indulge in any hobbies, such as writing, drawing or playing an instrument?

edited July 2012 in Diet & Habits
I know it's a random question, but I was curious :D

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Well some of them do, Thich Nhat Hahn does artistic calligraphy, and it's awesome!

• RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited July 2012
    A bhikkhu is prohibited from going to see and hear dancing, singing, and music. (In modern circumstances this will also concern films, videos, TV, etc.) This is similar to the Eight and Ten Precepts [see End Note4]. (See EV,II,p.72)

"In the Buddha's time one could only hear music at a live performance — hence seeing singing and music. However, following the Great Standards, it would seem appropriate to include contemporary forms of entertainment such as dancing, singing and music on television, videos, radios, tape-recorders and stereos. Most comprehensively, this applies to seeing or hearing any kind of entertainment like a 'pleasure-enjoying householder.' Listening or seeing for education is another matter." (HS ch.17)

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/ariyesako/layguide.html

But I don't see anything about not doing those things, just not... Listening to them or whatever.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Depends on the tradition.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    It's all about monastics relinquishing attachment to worldly pleasures and distractions.
    Often, HH the DL is treated to dancing, spectacles and musical overtures in his honour.

I'm pretty certain he's never turned round to any of his hosts and said "you know, my precepts tell me i should not indulge in such things, so if you'll excuse me, I'll just retire to my hotel and sleep on the bathroom floor....." :rolleyes:

It's all about moderation.
    some things cannot always be avoided by a monk, particularly in this ultra-mod-techno-age - but they should not be indulged in.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Artwork is important in Japanese Zen. In Tibetan Buddhism they sing spontaneous Dohas which are about liberation.
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    sand painting!
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Buddhism is a lot more colorful than people like it to be.

Humans. :p
  • Was anyone else like, NOOOOO when they swept it up? :lol:
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    It's all about monastics relinquishing attachment to worldly pleasures and distractions.
    Often, HH the DL is treated to dancing, spectacles and musical overtures in his honour.

I'm pretty certain he's never turned round to any of his hosts and said "you know, my precepts tell me i should not indulge in such things, so if you'll excuse me, I'll just retire to my hotel and sleep on the bathroom floor....." :rolleyes:

It's all about moderation.
    some things cannot always be avoided by a monk, particularly in this ultra-mod-techno-age - but they should not be indulged in.
    Wow, that was good. You actually made me burst out laughing there.

• CloudCloud Veteran
    Was anyone else like, NOOOOO when they swept it up? :lol:
    Do you know why they sweep it up? ;)

• RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited July 2012
    I do now... Because it was in the video lol

But that was my initial response :D
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    Was anyone else like, NOOOOO when they swept it up? :lol:
    So that mandala had it's use. That teaches you!

Nothing is permanent.
    :)
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Depends on the tradition.

It's really this, yeah. In some traditions the rules of discipline are very strict, they keep to the old rules established by the Buddha. They may write a book, but that's about it. It's not suppression really. It's only more opportunities to be mindful and learn about attachments.

In others, like Thich Nhat Hanh's monasteries, monks even play soccer, and instruments, and writing and drawing.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Buddhism is a lot more colorful than people like it to be.

Humans. :p
    :lol:
    I understand there is a distinction in the OP of Monks, but this still
    made me laugh. All the Buddhists I knew growing up were very artisic
    and creative people.
  • Thank you for the videos theyre great, help me get to grips with the idea of impermenance :-) x
  • SileSile Veteran
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited July 2012
    I took this picture at HHDL's monastery when in India. A monk is playing ping pong if you can't make it out, click on the picture to enlarge, I don't know how to crop the photo.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Ah, yes... The Demon Ping-Pong Monk of Bangalore.... I bet there's a poem in there somewhere.... where's Kipling when you need him....?

:D