Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

If there is no rebirth ...

edited August 2012 in Buddhism Basics
... why can't we just enjoy life to the fullest, and forget about meditation etc.? If there is rebirth, the fear of taking birth in lower realms may impel us to follow dharma. But if there is no rebirth ...

Comments

• SabreSabre Veteran
    In my experience meditation is enjoying life to the fullest. I get more happiness out of meditation than I do from sensual pleasures. So if there is no rebirth, I'd still be practicing Buddhism. I belief in rebirth personally, but there are quite some people who don't and still see the benefits of meditation.
  • sure you can. that is what 99% of the people do.
    buddha is teaching you how to be free, to escape from "why can't we just enjoy life to the fullest, and forget about meditation etc.?" dont you think there is enough suffering in this very life?
    MaryAnneDaltheJigsaw
  • hermitwin said:

sure you can. that is what 99% of the people do.
    buddha is teaching you how to be free, to escape from "why can't we just enjoy life to the fullest, and forget about meditation etc.?" dont you think there is enough suffering in this very life?

If there is a constant birth-death cycle, then escaping from it would be useful. But if this is the only life we have ...
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited August 2012
    As others have already said...
    With or without rebirth, you suffer in this life or not.
    It's your choice to manifest the 4 noble truths or not.
    SilouanDaltheJigsaw
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2012
    music said:

hermitwin said:

sure you can. that is what 99% of the people do.

If there is a constant birth-death cycle, then escaping from it would be useful. But if this is the only life we have ...
    Yes, it would change the matter, that's for sure. Meditation would still be pleasant I think, but it wouldn't provide a way out.

But since meditation (and the rest of the Buddhist path) is pleasant anyway, it's a safe bet to do it when you are unsure about rebirth. Nomatter what, you become happy in this life. And if there is rebirth, you get a happy rebirth - or escape rebirth altogether.

vlrox
  • I have not been motivated in my practice by ideas of rebirth and whilst I am happily agnostic about the topic, I find understandings about rebirth in this life enough.
    MaryAnne
  • music said:

... why can't we just enjoy life to the fullest, and forget about meditation etc.?

Because knowing/controlling your mind is an essential part of happiness?
    person
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    music said:

... why can't we just enjoy life to the fullest, and forget about meditation etc.? If there is rebirth, the fear of taking birth in lower realms may impel us to follow dharma. But if there is no rebirth ...

Because meditation does not take anything away from the enjoyment of life and can assist with the fears associated with this realm.
  • From my level of understanding, rebirth is not a new birth of you, but merely a continuation of your past karma influencing a new life. Like Dolly The Sheep's old DNA formed a new sheep, identical and yet completely different - not sharing the same mind.
    In the same way you won't be reborn as you, because you have no permanent self. But your actions in this life will give rise to a new life, formed by you.
    Why not give a damn about that life, just throw some bad karma at it?

The question is - do you want to form karma when you know karma affects yourself and others in a bad way, leads to dhukka? Do you want to create bad karma which leads to even more dhukka for yourself and others, than good karma?
    Cloud
  • In this life, with rebirth or without rebirth, as others have said, it is wisest to follow the Dharma and have ones actions actually benefit all sentient beings.

Shakyamuni was asked a similar question and he got the guy to understand that either way the best thing one can do is to live wisely.
  • Funny, that's pretty much the same question a young Prince named Gautama from India asked himself many, many years ago. It's some variation of the universal, "What's wrong with people, anyway?" The answer he found is, "People are suffering."

Various beliefs in what comes after death, from paradise to hell to reincarnation to nothing, can be used to justify our actions, but those beliefs don't drive our actions. Suffering does.
    Vastmind
  • Meditate the right way, and you will see the answers for yourself. Seek the answers not from someone else, but from your own trials and experiences.

I've personally had a very recent experience myself... That joy in itself, can be something that you feel indescribably... in the absence of your physiological processes and chemical balances.

When you live wisely in the Eightfold Path, common sense tells you to a limited extent that things unfold in a far easier way for you to go in.

When you err in the Eightfold Path... You speak harshly, you tell lies, you kill beings, you steal, you follow the wrong doctrines and misinformation... These all are going to bog down your mind.

Think about it this way... Micro-organisms eventually affect macro-organisms. Anything that happens in a single cell can affect a whole being. Anything that happens in a single atom, can change a whole structure. Anything that happens at a far smaller scale, often results in a huge effect.

In my awareness, karma seems to work in a similar principle. Only a fully enlightened one can truly perceive karma as it is - because you need to have qualities that you do not yet have.

Karma is the phenomenon which shows the relationship of everything in the world. A bad deed is invoked by bad thoughts... and it plants the "seed" which manifests the pain in various ways in the future. A small action can effect a larger action.

If you believe in life cycles, it is often told by the Buddha that people often experience similar negative situations that they have been in before. One particular deva/deity paid for his negative karma by being born blind. One of his disciples had a very stubborn character even in a few life cycles before.

• The Tibetan Book of the Dead – Robert Thurman

“For even the most diehard materials, Pascal’s famous “Wager” is still compelling: If we become nothing after death, we will not be there to regret having prepared for something. But if we are something after death, and we are not prepared at all, or are badly prepared, then we will long feel bitter, painful regret. So we have everything to lose by not preparing, and nothing to gain; we have everything to gain by preparing, and nothing to lose. Should our preparation be for nothing, a little time spent on it in this life will not be regretted for an eternity. Should our preparation be for something, the time taken away from it for the sake of life’s business or pleasure will be deeply regretted for eternity as the waste of a vital resource.”
    person
  • Silouan said:

The Tibetan Book of the Dead – Robert Thurman

“For even the most diehard materials, Pascal’s famous “Wager” is still compelling: If we become nothing after death, we will not be there to regret having prepared for something. But if we are something after death, and we are not prepared at all, or are badly prepared, then we will long feel bitter, painful regret. So we have everything to lose by not preparing, and nothing to gain; we have everything to gain by preparing, and nothing to lose. Should our preparation be for nothing, a little time spent on it in this life will not be regretted for an eternity. Should our preparation be for something, the time taken away from it for the sake of life’s business or pleasure will be deeply regretted for eternity as the waste of a vital resource.”

Oh, we need to talk about this.

Robert Thurman is a great scholar of Tibetan Buddhism, but has a huge blind spot when it comes to understanding the limitations of his world view. Pascal's Wager is certainly not compelling to anyone who is capable of logical thought. Basically stated, the Wager is, since acting as if God exists has no down side, then everyone should act as if God does exist since if it's true, you're betting on the winning side and if God doesn't exist, it doesn't matter.

Even without delving into the utter selfish, self-serving nature of degrading deep spiritual decisions to a simple win-loss ratio, the immediate logical problem should be apparent. All right, whose God or which God do we bet on? "God" as an abstract is useless. Say Pascal convinced me. So now what? Do I bow at the feet of the Christian God, or follow the Muslim practice, or maybe the Aztecs had the true God and I should sacrifice people to their sun God? I can't believe in reincarnation and the Christian Salvation both, because only one can be true. You are not allowed to just believe in some general God. You gotta be specific to be allowed into whatever God's exclusive afterlife you're betting on.

Also, there certainly is a downside to believing in something that doesn't exist. You're believing in something that doesn't exist. Apparently truth didn't matter to Pascal, but it certainly does to me.
    Ficus_religiosazenff
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    music said:

Nevermind how rich or well to do you are. The prerqusites of pain, grief, sorrow, lamentation frustration and despair are still there. You will get sick, old and decay.

If you do not think it is a problem then there is no reason to cultivate but if you want to avoid this suffering then you do have a reason to cultivate.

A well cultivated mind does not sway with emotion or outer disturbances as much as a n untrained mind does.

That is my experience.

/Victor
    Silouan
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Sabre said:

In my experience meditation is enjoying life to the fullest. I get more happiness out of meditation than I do from sensual pleasures. So if there is no rebirth, I'd still be practicing Buddhism. I belief in rebirth personally, but there are quite some people who don't and still see the benefits of meditation.

I agree.
    There is no hair’s breadth between practice and living life to the fullest.
    (Unless you think breaking your precepts will make you so happy in this life but unfortunately there is a next life in which you will pay or it; which makes me feel sorry for you :) )
    And when your meditatation is a burden you're doing something wrong.
  • Felt it when the sun came up this morning. Distant voices calling me away.

I can hear it when I stand beside the river.

I can see it when I look up in the sky.

I can smell it in the forest from the pines.

You're a part of me and I'm a part of you.

What ever time may take away, you and I will always be together.

• Seems like if there was no rebirth, the whole karma system wouldn't work. Some karma takes longer than one lifetime to work itself out. And what of the karma of babies who die before they even get to do anything.

Good thread. Different way of approaching the rebirth topic.
  • For me, the wager argument which, incidentally, is not absent from the leaves of the Buddhist canon, seems to rest on what I will call for now, Lincoln's logic:

"It is an established maxim and moral that he who makes an assertion without knowing whether it is true or false is guilty of falsehood, and the accidental truth of the assertion does not justify or excuse him" (Abraham Lincoln).

No materialist can claim with certainty that rebirth is a complete fiction. He is guilty of a falsehood if he does (the materialist's position lies in treating rebirth "as if" it were already proven to be false).

On the other hand, for someone who believes in rebirth but doesn't know if it is true, it would be a falsehood to claim they know rebirth is real.

Silouanandyrobyn
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Cinorjer said:

Pascal's Wager is certainly not compelling to anyone who is capable of logical thought.

I knew there was a reason I liked Pascal's Wager

Cinorjer
  • Though I'm an Orthodox Christian,and no longer a Buddhist, let's focus on just this life based on materialism and the innate desire to obtain happiness then. Of course the happiness we are referring to here means freedom from suffering. There is not one single human being on the face of the earth that does not desire peace, love, and joy, and there is no need to prove this.

The materialist seeks to fulfill their desire by putting their hopes in mundane things that are impermanent and have limits though they are not aware of this. They will never have enough money, cars, people in their life, perfect job, etc... Always seeking more.

Over indulgence results in sickness, or the becoming sensitized to the quality of pleasure something may provide thereby requiring more and more. We see the extreme cases, but this happens on more subtle levels too. When a problem arises or something against their will or desire they suffer.

If they are in a sad, angry, or depressed state it is projected onto the objects they once adored and that had previously given them pleasure. I don't think this needs to be proved either because we all experience this no matter where we are at in our respective faiths.

In my Orthodox faith by cultivation of stillness of the heart through watchfulness and prayer, and trying to live the life I have and do experience the falling of the mountains into the sea as Jesus says, or for the Buddhist let fall body and mind. Everything melts away and you just are. In perfect contentment, and that keeps us continuing on our path. We see the enlargement of the heart, and not just the shrinking we also see in ourselves too.
  • person said:

Cinorjer said:

Pascal's Wager is certainly not compelling to anyone who is capable of logical thought.

I knew there was a reason I liked Pascal's Wager

I like you. You really did make me laugh out loud..
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Seems like if there was no rebirth, the whole karma system wouldn't work. Some karma takes longer than one lifetime to work itself out. And what of the karma of babies who die before they even get to do anything.

Funny...I look at it the other way around.

To me, karma that goes beyond this life would be unjust. You'd be suffering from something you didn't know you had done.

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @vinlyn, Why is someone born into either a poor family or a rich family? Because of the actions of people in the past, which led to a birth connected to either a poor or rich family. This is one way we can understand karma as something that connects past, present and future. It's plain that what happened in the past has led to the resultant conditions of the present. We're meant to understand karma in selfless terms, and this is one way to understand it as such. There is always a causal link, which means our actions now will affect not only us but also others and those yet to come.

One doesn't have to have a literal view of rebirth, as applied to an individual person, in order to still see karma as applying beyond a singular lifetime. It's all "us", so it's from us and will continue to affect us. Take the individual out of the picture and it's still a very real phenomena, it's still important.
    person
    Cloud said:

@vinlyn, Why is someone born into either a poor family or a rich family? Because of the actions of people in the past, which led to a birth connected to either a poor or rich family. This is one way we can understand karma as something that connects past, present and future. We don't have to get into the details of who did what, but it's plain that what happened in the past has led to the resultant conditions of the present. We're meant to understand karma in selfless terms, and this is one way to understand it as such. There is always a causal link, which means our actions now will affect not only us but also others and those yet to come.

The difference in our views is what I sometimes refer to as Old World versus New World karma.

And here's where I think you have to be careful:

You say: "Why is someone born into either a poor family or a rich family? Because of the actions of people in the past, which led to a birth connected to either a poor or rich family."

Most Thais would similarly say: "Why is someone born into life with incredible physical or mental handicaps? Because of the actions in a past life."

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Well I'm not a Thai. I'd say the reason someone is born a certain way (with certain attributes) is genetics, and yet those genetics have been passed down through the actions of those in the past, and also altered due to their actions and due to nature. It's still connected. If Mozart's parents had been killed off before he was conceived, there wouldn't have been a Mozart... those particular conditions would not have been present. Other great artists would've come along in similar fashion (just as they have), but it would've differed to some extent... not the exact same combination as Mozart.
  • vinlyn said:

Seems like if there was no rebirth, the whole karma system wouldn't work. Some karma takes longer than one lifetime to work itself out. And what of the karma of babies who die before they even get to do anything.

To me, karma that goes beyond this life would be unjust. You'd be suffering from something you didn't know you had done.

Seems unjust? There isn't a man who dispenses justice on all beings throughout the world. Karma is the natural way that reality functions. It is neither justified nor unjustified. Besides, you did perform those actions. Just because you died doesn't mean they are erased. You inherit your own actions. The Buddha was very clear about that.
    Cloud said:

Well I'm not a Thai. I'd say the reason someone is born a certain way (with certain attributes) is genetics, and yet those genetics have been passed down through the actions of those in the past, and also altered due to their actions and due to nature. It's still connected.

Make no mistake...I don't have the answer. In fact, there is nothing in Buddhism that has troubled me more than the concept...no, not the concept, but rather the workings, the limitations of karma.

vinlyn said:

Seems unjust? There isn't a man who dispenses justice on all beings throughout the world. Karma is the natural way that reality functions. It is neither justified nor unjustified. Besides, you did perform those actions. Just because you died doesn't mean they are erased. You inherit your own actions. The Buddha was very clear about that.
    You think it's so clear, and yet right on our own forum you have the debate going on between whether karma is a consequence in one's own mind, or consequences that are beyond the mind.

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @vinlyn, From a scientific viewpoint it's the same. Do you have trouble seeing how things are passed down from that viewpoint, or how actions of the past reverberate into the present and then the future? Trouble seeing how genetics are passed down? Science actually helps to clarify how karma works, though we can't know the exact details (and they don't matter). The fact that it does work, that there are causal links, is the reason we can become liberated... by skillful action that leads toward unbinding from clinging/craving, through the Noble Eightfold Path.

All we have to do is see the causality involved. If we see causality, we can understand karma. Of course we have to get over "ourselves", into seeing how it is a selfless process, to really understand. To see causality, how the past and present and future are all an interconnected flow, is to see rebirth in action. It just is. We can have different views about rebirth, but we can't deny that there's a connection between the past, present and future... always. We can even at this point stop calling it "rebirth" if that confuses us. Just concentrate on the causality. That's enough.

Impermanence, Not-Self, Karma, Rebirth, Dukkha, Nirvana, Emptiness/Mind, these are all seen as coming together, as having the same ground, through causality. They are all aspects of causality. Bringing these together, seeing how they are all intertwined and related, is really important in Buddhism. Otherwise we're looking at each of them as something separate and not seeing why they're all part of the same reality. If we don't see how they work together, we're not going to understand them (we may even throw them out, as some people do with karma and/or rebirth).
    Cloud said:

@vinlyn, From a scientific viewpoint it's the same. Do you have trouble seeing how things are passed down from that viewpoint, or how actions of the past reverberate into the present and then the future? Trouble seeing how genetics are passed down? Science actually helps to clarify how karma works, though we can't know the exact details (and they don't matter). The fact that it does work, that there are causal links, is the reason we can become liberated... by skillful action that leads toward unbinding from clinging/craving, through the Noble Eightfold Path.

All we have to do is see the causality involved. If we see causality, we can understand karma. Of course we have to get over "ourselves", into seeing how it is a selfless process, to really understand.

Excuse me. I don't mind having a discussion, but having you talk down to me is rather offensive. I have two degrees in the sciences, including an emphasis in paleontology and evolution. So I don't think I have any problem "seeing how genetics are passed down".

It is not realistic to say that "science helps clarify how karma works, though we can't know the exact details". Science is a precise manner of studying phenomenon. It is not congruent with saying exact details don't matter.

Let's see, someone in our forum often likes to say, "Look it up!"

Silouan
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    I'm not talking down to you, I was asking if you could see things from that viewpoint as being the same or not (as karma), of showing causal relationships over time (over multiple lifetimes in other words). Your view is one of karma not going past one lifetime, so this is the area of debate, the purpose for there being any debate at all (of all that I've been saying regarding this).
  • vinlyn said:

vinlyn said:

You think it's so clear, and yet right on our own forum you have the debate going on between whether karma is a consequence in one's own mind, or consequences that are beyond the mind.

Intentional actions are definitely a consequence of "mind." They don't happen without mind. Bowling balls don't intentionally fall off racks. People do intentionally swat flies.
    Cloud said:

I'm not talking down to you, I was asking if you could see things from that viewpoint as being the same or not (as karma), of showing causal relationships over time (over multiple lifetimes in other words). Your view is one of karma not going past one lifetime, so this is the area of debate, the purpose for there being any debate at all (of all that I've been saying regarding this).

If you are going to say that karma goes beyond one lifetime, then the Thai version of why children are born handicapped may very well be accurate.

You can't say karma in a previous life could affect whether your are going to be born into a rich or poor family (on type of condition), but then say that karma cannot affect genetics...in fact, you said it does affect genetics.

You can't have it both ways.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @vinlyn, Right, I said it does. I haven't argued with myself at all. :)

If what the Thai version says is an expression of causality, then why are you saying it's wrong? I just said I'm not a Thai, I didn't comment on whether they're right or not. I haven't been part of this "old karma, new karma" debate that others have and really don't know the content of that debate. What are your thoughts exactly? That karma doesn't work this way because it's unfair? That we shouldn't be born into a poor family, for instance, because we didn't choose to be? Karma explains why this is so, makes it make sense... is it just the unfairness of it that you take issue with? That we should throw karma (at least over lifetimes) out because it's not fair we don't remember the actions of the past that have led us here?
    Over time, if you read this forum, I think there is a tendency for many (perhaps most) of our posters to say that karma is what comes from within after you do something. If it is an unwholesome action, the karmic result is a guilty conscience or depression or other psychologic issues. If your action was a wholesome action, the karma will be in terms of better feelings within yourself, which will result in more wholesome actions.

This is what I call a more Western view of karma.

What I have seen in the East is the view that karma is a punishment or a reward, depending on whether your action was wholesome or unwholesome. For example, my ex told me the reason he has a heart condition, hepatitis, and aplastic anemia is because of his actions in a previous life and he is being punished. The street begger I talked with told me that the reason he was in an industrial accident and had his leg amputated was because in his previous life he had "done bad things".

This is what I see as the more Old World view of karma.

Each version has its limitations. For example, the Western viewpoint fails to answer the question of amorality.

The Eastern viewpoint fails to explain just what "power" (for wont of a better term) dispenses the karmic justice.

And that's just scratching the surface of the debate. And I know, not all Westerners have the more Western viewpoint, and not all Easterners have the more Eastern viewpoint.
    Cinorjer
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @vinlyn, Yeah I don't know about all that. They both seem to be looking in different directions, like they're trying to mold karma, to have it explain something else, rather than understanding it in its original context related to suffering and liberation.
    son_of_dhamma
  • @Cloud
    @vinlyn
    I remember a reading on the topic where if one has a tendency to fall ill frequently in life it is a strong indicator that they killed many beings in previous lifetimes.
    I just catch colds easily...maybe I only shoved people around! :p
    SilouanZeroperson
  • Silouan said:

@Cloud
    @vinlyn
    I remember a reading on the topic where if one has a tendency to fall ill frequently in life it is a strong indicator that they killed many beings in previous lifetimes.

There is a part in the canon where the Buddha describes specific actions as either leading to rebirth in hell, or if they are reborn as a human they will be, "short lived... sickly... ugly... unpopular... die early..." etc. He specifically says what consequences they will face in their next human life, if they aren't reborn in hell. Whether the translation refers to animal life, preta life, or purgatory life is irrelevant.
  • :)
  • vinlyn said:

I just catch colds easily...maybe I only shoved people around! :p

sometimes events aren't karmic consequences but coincidences, like side effects.

• @son_of_dhamma
    In my tradition hell is the absence of God, and fire is not physical fire but of spirit caused by our rejection of His love. Just like we can experience a foretaste of the kingdom of heaven we can also experience a foretaste of hell in this lifetime.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited August 2012
    vinlyn said:

Each version has its limitations. For example, the Western viewpoint fails to answer the question of amorality....

The ancient strategy of religious intimidation still works; I just can’t believe it.
    “When you’re an atheist (when you don't believe in rebirth) you cannot have moral standards. Religion is the basis of society without it there’ll be chaos and anarchy.”

It’s such a big lie!

There’s a whole world of altruism and cooperation in animal life. Ants are better organized than people are, and I assume they are not religious.

Computers programmed for prisoners’ dilemma show the best results with a “moral” attitude of cooperation combined with moderate punishments for anti-social actions. Religion has nothing to do with that.

Some of the least religious human societies have the lowest crime-rates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morality_without_religion#Evidential_support

• Silouan said:

@son_of_dhamma
    In my tradition hell is the absence of God, and fire is not physical fire but of spirit caused by our rejection of His love. Just like we can experience a foretaste of the kingdom of heaven we can also experience a foretaste of hell in this lifetime.

Yes, the Buddha spoke of purgatory as fiery, especially the lowest level.
    ^ My goodness...Buddha was Catholic? :D
  • vinlyn said:

^ My goodness...Buddha was Catholic? :D

I think you have it reversed.
  • Purgatory is a heresy. ;-)
  • If there is no rebirth ...

Who is reborn?

This question implies that someone (a self) or something (an essence) was born, died and (re)born again. With anatta, this cannot be although it appears to be so.
    "Who, O Lord, clings?"

"The question is not correct," said the Exalted One, "I do not say that 'he clings.' Had I said so, then the question 'Who clings?' would be appropriate. But since I did not speak thus, the correct way to ask the question will be 'What is the condition of clinging?' And to that the correct reply is: 'Craving is the condition of clinging; and clinging is the condition of the process of becoming.' Such is the origin of this entire mass of suffering."
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.012.nypo.html
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    I'm not sure I catch the unfair aspect in karma that other people seem to. I think that to see it as unfair, one has to look at karmic inheritance from the viewpoint of a personal identity instead of it just viewing it as a compilation of karma accruing with the aggregates to bring into formation another sentient being. That being is just another opportunity for some karmic inertia to be dissipated.

Attributing specific past causes to account for present life circumstances is a very simplistic view when you take into account the vast plethora of diverse streams of karma that make up the average sentient's life inheritance.
    personRebeccaStmottes