Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hunting

ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
edited September 2012 in Diet & Habits
I have moved out of my house due to the atmopshere there, there was something in there that really was causing friction between me and my partner. When we moved to this new place we instantly felt a weight off of our shoulders, strange. Anyway, I was flicking through the channels on the TV (yes now we have one T__T ) and I came across a hunting channel. I watched it for a little while and cannot understand their mentality. They shoot elephants and atilope etc dead and then go up to the dead animal and say how beautiful it is, how an amazing creature it is, well yea it was before you just shot it dead... It is not to survive, it is for fun, not a happy bunny here.
vinlynSabre

Comments

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Yea, I definitely do not understand the hunting culture either. I did understand it when we needed to survive as a human species, but to make it some type of sport is just too much. And great about you moving out! You are back with your lady? :)
    vinlyn
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I live in an area where hunting, fishing and even trapping are still very much a part of daily life and culture. The majority of people use it to supplement their lower incomes to support their families (the median family income here is like $27,000). We however just started our bear season here, and few of the bear hunters use the meat and mostly are after a rug. Ugh, makes me sick. My dad supported our family through a lot of lean years when he was laid off from his job, by trapping, and I respect him greatly for doing it because it's a very, very difficult job. But it kept us off government assistance. I do not understand trophy hunting, at all, and killing animals for fun. But I do understand the culture, even in today's world, of hunting and fishing and trapping to support a family, and I know a lot of people who still do it. Not to mention, the food that is obtained from hunting wild animals is nutritionally superior to that you can buy in a store, and the animal at least lived free and not caged. I don't personally hunt anymore, but I used to, and my son still does. If we had the need to do it to feed our family, I would do it again.
    RebeccaSMaryAnne
  • What Karasti said. :)
    Trophy hunting is absolutely vile to me. Hunting for food and/or to keep herds thinned and healthy, is acceptable to me, even though I could not personally do it.
    I occasionally eat meat that was legally hunted by other family members and given to me. If I didn't plan to eat it myself for whatever reason, I gave it to others who were needy.
    vinlyn
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    So in trophy hunting, what is done with the meat? Surely someone eats it?
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Bunks said:

So in trophy hunting, what is done with the meat? Surely someone eats it?

Sometimes yes, often times no.

My grandfather hunted dear and moose, as well as ducks and pheasants. Some venison was eaten, but there was far more than we wanted. The moose was...yuck...and so most of that did not get eaten. My grandparents did eat duck and pheasant.

• It's the law in some places that the meat must eaten - for sure in Canada, I guess it could be different in other places in the world. I have no idea what they would do with the meat otherwise.

I would like to learn to hunt (I'm a firearms enthusiast anyway) as a skill but I've never been able to do it because I don't have the legitimate need to. I've never understood trophy hunting and couldn't support it, but if I had to hunt to feed my family I would.
  • As a Hunter, I really don't like the Trophy Hunting culture either. When I hunt it is strictly for meat. I'll even take the skin to a Tanner just so I have leather to use. The leather comes in handy for when I need something fitted, I'm making a wallet or patching some clothing or canvas, what have you. And all of the meat gets eaten. I don't set up bait piles or anything either or sit in a blind (too boring and not sporting.) instead I'll track the animal down. If it escapes and I go home meatless, well that's the way it goes.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    RebeccaS said:

It's the law in some places that the meat must eaten - for sure in Canada, I guess it could be different in other places in the world. I have no idea what they would do with the meat otherwise.

I would like to learn to hunt (I'm a firearms enthusiast anyway) as a skill but I've never been able to do it because I don't have the legitimate need to. I've never understood trophy hunting and couldn't support it, but if I had to hunt to feed my family I would.

How about shooting skeet?

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    karasti said:

I live in an area where hunting, fishing and even trapping are still very much a part of daily life and culture. The majority of people use it to supplement their lower incomes to support their families (the median family income here is like $27,000). We however just started our bear season here, and few of the bear hunters use the meat and mostly are after a rug. Ugh, makes me sick. My dad supported our family through a lot of lean years when he was laid off from his job, by trapping, and I respect him greatly for doing it because it's a very, very difficult job. But it kept us off government assistance. I do not understand trophy hunting, at all, and killing animals for fun. But I do understand the culture, even in today's world, of hunting and fishing and trapping to support a family, and I know a lot of people who still do it. Not to mention, the food that is obtained from hunting wild animals is nutritionally superior to that you can buy in a store, and the animal at least lived free and not caged. I don't personally hunt anymore, but I used to, and my son still does. If we had the need to do it to feed our family, I would do it again.

Thank you! I totally understand trying to put food on the table or to support your family, but like you mentioned,
    "trophy hunting," that is what I am speaking off. That is disgusting!!
  • Yea like I said these people were in Africa shooting elephant and other animals and kneeling next to it dead smiling saying 'what a great trophy, a lovely animal, how great it is to be this close to one'.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Yea like I said these people were in Africa shooting elephant and other animals and kneeling next to it dead smiling saying 'what a great trophy, a lovely animal, how great it is to be this close to one'.

It just seems like cruelty to me. :-/
  • vinlyn said:

RebeccaS said:

It's the law in some places that the meat must eaten - for sure in Canada, I guess it could be different in other places in the world. I have no idea what they would do with the meat otherwise.

How about shooting skeet?

I haven't tried it, but I definitely want to!
  • I dunno, out of all of the 5 precepts for us lay people killing living beings seems to stand out most to me. It is another being with feelings and a life. Just my opinion...
    Where I live (Minnesota) it's common for hunters who have more meat than they can use, or just don't use it, to donate the meat to either food shelves or Native American tribes. Hides are also able to be donated as well, and many hunters participate in such programs. Deer hunters and small game hunters almost always use the meat here, and I know several families who live exclusively on what they can hunt and fish. Most of the trophy hunters here come from larger cities, and they take the trophies home to put in their offices to show how tough they are. They also have to use guides because they don't know their way around the woods, so they hire someone to show them when/how to shoot the animal and then claim glory for it. Ugh. The taking of record animals, where usually they are too old for the meat to be much use, also disgusts me. I don't know how people can travel to other lands and shoot such majestic animals just for the pleasure of killing them. I don't know how any one can get pleasure in killing anything.
    person
  • karasti said:

Where I live (Minnesota) it's common for hunters who have more meat than they can use, or just don't use it, to donate the meat to either food shelves or Native American tribes. Hides are also able to be donated as well, and many hunters participate in such programs. Deer hunters and small game hunters almost always use the meat here, and I know several families who live exclusively on what they can hunt and fish. Most of the trophy hunters here come from larger cities, and they take the trophies home to put in their offices to show how tough they are. They also have to use guides because they don't know their way around the woods, so they hire someone to show them when/how to shoot the animal and then claim glory for it. Ugh. The taking of record animals, where usually they are too old for the meat to be much use, also disgusts me. I don't know how people can travel to other lands and shoot such majestic animals just for the pleasure of killing them. I don't know how any one can get pleasure in killing anything.

Something makes us all tick, some people just get pleasure from killing things... I have seen on that TV channel I mentioned, I think it was 'the outdoor channel' Americans in South Africa shooting up elephants and rino etc :(
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I really like shooting tin cans off of bales of hay...
  • I've never shot a gun. In fact as a child my parents wouldn't let me or my siblings even have toy guns.
    I'm very thankful for that today.

Yes, that sounds like fun. But why can't people be content with inanimate objects? Why the need to murder animals?

• Yes, that sounds like fun. But why can't people be content with inanimate objects? Why the need to murder animals?

For food.

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    I doubt anyone would wish for others to hunt them, In general people are unaware of the law of Karma and that the actions you perform now you will experience a similar result in the future that means an experience similar to the action, A tendency similar to the cause, An environmental effect similar to the cause and Rebirth in the respective realm.

Do not harm sentient beings it is a wrong action that will lead to immense suffering in the future.
    seeker242person
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited September 2012

Yes, that sounds like fun. But why can't people be content with inanimate objects? Why the need to murder animals?
    I have no idea, but it's not everyone. There are a lot of people who shoot targets and many people who shoot skeet. I have absolutely no desire to shoot living animals.
  • I have moved out of my house due to the atmopshere there, there was something in there that really was causing friction between me and my partner. When we moved to this new place we instantly felt a weight off of our shoulders, strange.

This is the part that interests me. :D Did you consider calling someone in, whatever the local tradition is, to cleanse the place? Do they have the equivalent of shamans, or do the local Buddhist priests do anything like that? Too late now, but I'm just wondering if that was an option. Great that you escaped whatever it was, though.

Zayl said:

For food.

But why the need to personally kill the animal?

( Leaving aside the whole issue of whether animals should be killed for food ) ;)
  • Dakini said:

I have moved out of my house due to the atmopshere there, there was something in there that really was causing friction between me and my partner. When we moved to this new place we instantly felt a weight off of our shoulders, strange.

This is the part that interests me. :D Did you consider calling someone in, whatever the local tradition is, to cleanse the place? Do they have the equivalent of shamans, or do the local Buddhist priests do anything like that? Too late now, but I'm just wondering if that was an option. Great that you escaped whatever it was, though.

The place had been blessed by monks I think after it was built and had gold leaf over the door, this happens when many buildings are finished in Thailand. I don't know though, I have never had a stance on ghosts etc, but my GF had 3 times where she would have people visit her in a dream or in between waking up, twice kind of friendly and the other not so. Two of the times she was really quite shocked and scared as the dreams took place in the situation we were in whilst in the house, ie laying in bed w/e. I had one occasion where I was asleep on the floor in the lounge and I woke up a few times and went back to sleep. Then as I woke up still with my eyes closed I felt as if there someone behind me suggesting me to wake up, I thought it was my partner so I got up and she was in fact in bed asleep. But the one time my GF had this happen to her she said she saw many people in the house able to open the door and claiming it was theirs etc, she was a blubbering mess after that one.

Anyway, I still don't know what to think of it all and I know this is totally off topic as well, but meh. I did over-hear our landlord speaking with our neighbour once (they were friends and the neighbour had lived there for 10 years or so), and they were discussing why she has issues with people not renting the house for too long and why people keep leaving.
  • I have been doing a lot of wild camping and slingshot training latley. I havent tried to hunt yet but I have been wrestling with this issue a bit, in a kind of interesting Buddhist way.

I don't think i will do it, but I would still like to be a good shot.

One of my few regrets is shooting a wallaby as a young man.
    Why do people hunt their own food instead of buy it @PedanticPorpoise? Is that what you mean? There are a # of reasons, some which would not be easily explained to someone who didn't grow up in a hunting culture. I mean I've tried to explain it numerous times, but it's not usually understood just because of the gap between the cultures. Some of it is cultural. Some of it is cost. Some of it is nutrition. Some of it is not wanting to be involved in the horrible actions of slaughterhouses. Some of it is in takin personal responsibility for the death of another being. And yes some of it is just for sport, for fun, for the "challenege" in outwitting the animal.That last part I have never understood and don't agree with personally. The other things I do understand but it is what I grew up with and it still happens on a daily basis where I live. Some people prefer to not have to think about what happens to produce the neatly cellophaned hunk of meat at the store. Others prefer to shoulder that responsibility and retain a number of other benefits as well.
    Interesting thoughts @karasti

Oddly enough, when I really think about it, I find hunting more humane than supporting the meat industry as is by buying your meat from the store/fast food/wherever for several of the reasons you mentioned. I find the idea of being able to honor the animal and ensure a quick kill a lot more respectful (so long as you aren't hunting for sport, obviously). But I will admit, it confuses me that some people feel the opposite, as if the negative karma itself lies only in the killing, not in the consuming. And there is the whole "a monk can only accept meat if it wasn't killed directly for him/he didn't see/hear it happen". Trying to apply that concept to lay people, outside of monastics, seems to be the problem though. It makes sense to me that a monk should be able to eat what is given, even if it sometimes contains meat, since there is no other option. But this still doesn't seem applicable to modern society to me, unless you find yourself in a situation where you cannot choose what you eat.

I hope this doesn't offend anyone. I'm not trying to be inflammatory, just contemplating, and I welcome other thoughts on the topic so long as this train of thought isn't too far off the original topic.
    tmottesperson
  • @zombiegirl my thoughts exactly. I also (with no evidence to back it up) feel that if more people were involved in the hunting of their own food, that we would eat less meat. Not to mention that hunted meat tends to be leaner and better for you.
    zombiegirl
  • Saw a documentary recently about Fat Americans travelling to Africa to shoot animals for fun.The animals were just walking around like buffalos and zebras and they just picked them off with high powered rifles.And were intensely proud of themselves for it.Quite a strange mindset and in fact to me these people were a little bit insane /stupid.

But I will admit, it confuses me that some people feel the opposite, as if the negative karma itself lies only in the killing, not in the consuming.

Good point.
    tmottes said:

@zombiegirl my thoughts exactly. I also (with no evidence to back it up) feel that if more people were involved in the hunting of their own food, that we would eat less meat.

I'm sure you're right. Most people in the modern world are far removed from the killing, skinning and gutting.
    I struggle with this topic because of the fact I grew up in this culture with a family who hunted/fished/trapped to support our family. I have pretty much grown out of hunting, I usually get a license because my son needs a licensed adult to accompany him, but I do not shoot. I just found I had an increasingly difficult time killing the animals, even though we used every bit of the animal that we could, and we always did a bit of a "saying grace" type of thing after killing any animal. If I had to hunt to support my family, I wouldn't blink an eye at doing it though. And I agree about hunting vs supporting the current industries. I just cannot imagine Buddha being here today and being a-okay with supporting that kind of treatment of beings just to avoid killing them yourself. I just think it has to be an individual thing and you have to apply the teachings the best you can in today's world. I still go fishing, and I still struggle with that as well. We do fish only to keep what we eat. Last time I went fishing I caught 7 fish and released them all, they were either too small, or too big (I don't like to keep those fish that are big and have lived so long). But, smaller fish still died being used as bait.

When my son hunts, and he brings home food to feed the family, we use it. He is very happy to help feed the family and he learns a lot about self-sufficiency. I think as the world continues on this course, it's going to be important to know how to do those things, and at least I know that if there were some massive economic melt down or something, that we'd be ok with getting our own food. I just don't get the sense that my son is developing some horrible string of karma over killing a deer in the fall. I feel much negative things associated with buying meat at the store. We buy as much as we can from local farms, but it is very expensive. As a result, we do eat less meat.

It's possible at some point in my life/practice I will decide to be vegetarian. Things I didn't think I'd change, I already have, so I am always open to that possibility developing.
    @karasti A lot of what you say makes sense to me. I grew up in the country too, and although I was never involved with hunting myself, I was surrounded by it. It's kinda hard to miss a gutted deer hanging in your garage. I never could wrap my mind around hunting, but I used to really like fishing. I actually tried fishing several years back, but it just wasn't the same for me. It was like I felt too aware of the animal's suffering and could not get to the place where it was fun anymore. But of course, we did not need to fish for food. I imagine I might feel differently if I found myself in a time and place where hunting was necessary to survive. Say the economy really did collapse or something, there's no way you could survive the Michigan winters by foraging berries or whatever, heh.

• I think we also (all) need to remind ourselves to look at this whole hunting/meat-eating/vegan topic not from our own small, individual situation and surroundings, but on a global scale.
    I wish I could remember where I read it (and wish I had bookmarked it) but I read a very informative, scientific based article once on how vegetarianism is not, and will never be, a viable alternative for the planet as a whole.

One point (of many) the article made was to break down the person-to-'farm' land ratio needed to provide that ONE person with a decent (not "excellent") diet year round. Long story much shorter, we simply do not have the (farm-able) land necessary to provide everyone with enough grown food.

A counter point to this problem is often: "Well, yeah, but even now -with meat on the menu - many many people around the world go to bed hungry as well. So meat isn't the answer either."
    The article pointed out that is because of a lack of even distribution of food - which directly coincides with poverty/wealth/development (of people and countries); where as in a vegetarian world this would be because there just wasn't enough food for everyone. I tend to agree with this -- think of the waste generated by wealthier cultures and countries.

Even as someone who is very mindful of this problem, I know I do 'waste' food now and then- not intentionally, of course, but it happens. Think about the tons of food (tons!) thrown away every week, from each of our local supermarkets, restaurants, bakeries, and fast food places, sometimes for no other reason than an arbitrary "sell by" date on the label. Now times that by 100, or 1000, or 10,000 across the country... the amount of wasted food is astounding.

The other thing we need to remember is that there are cultures all over the world that live in climates and/or on land not suitable for agriculture -on any decent scale. These cultures depend on livestock and wildstock meats, with vegetables and plant foods as minimal supplements.

The bottom line is; the variety and diversity of foods from culture to culture around the world, IS what keeps the world (relatively) well fed. Being globally vegetarian over carnivorous- or the other way around - would only greatly upset the whole food scheme for the planet.

Individually it's a valid and noble choice for each of us, but globally it's a pipe dream, and potentially a dangerous one.

YMMV

karasti
  • You know, I rarely think about what I eat or where it comes from.

I used to be of the mind that farming and eating my own animals would be more ethical - I can ensure their quality of life and make sure they are dealt with humanely, but after learning that the Buddha only ate meat not killed specifically for him now I'm not so sure.

It's like eating meat from the store... It could come from any kind of nasty living conditions, but at least it wasn't killed specifically for me. But farming my own animals... At least they would have lived well.

Going veggie isn't an option for me :lol:
    RebeccaS said:

I used to be of the mind that farming and eating my own animals would be more ethical - I can ensure their quality of life and make sure they are dealt with humanely, but after learning that the Buddha only ate meat not killed specifically for him now I'm not so sure.

I'm with you on this @RebeccaS The whole "negative karma accumulated from the killing but not the eating of meat" thing seems very contradictory to me. I posted my thoughts on this above, so I won't repost, but it is... confusing.
  • Yeah, I don't really know where I stand on the issue anymore. It seemed pretty cut and dry before - take responsibility for the animals and it's all cool - but now there is this grey area that I don't really understand. If I figure it out I'll let you know :lol:
    MaryAnne
    There is a book out there called "The Vegetarian Myth" that goes into a lot of details about why a vegetarian planet won't work. Agriculture is the most destructive thing people have done to the planet, and it continues to ravage our natural resources. It's also the reason our population is way more than the planet is capable of supporting. When ecosystems are destroyed, it affects the entire planet, and not in a good way. More rainforest is destroyed for farm land than anything, taking entire layers of the ecosystem with it, and the trickle down effect from that is HUGE. More people, more destruction of ecosystem to make farmland that makes even more people etc etc. The planet simply cannot sustain the activities that are going on right now. Even more land would need to be developed to consider feeding a vegetarian diet to everyone. Guess what happens when you develop land? You kill animals. Lots, and lots, of animals.

It has also had horrible, horrible effects on our health. Eating as much wheat and soy and corn (all of which are GMO...98% of these crops are GMO around the entire world now) as we do, is largely what is causing the huge downfall of health of people in the past 50-100 years.

If we were able to use every single acre of arable land on the whole planet (which we can't because it means clearing more land) we would need. 3.5 billion acres to feed the whole planet. The US has about 900 million of those acres wrapped up in unhealthy farm practices. Maryanne is right. If we were better at sharing, better at not wasting, we could do a whole lot more. But no one wants to give up their $1000 a month grocery budget to feed someone else, thus meaning "I'll have less so you can have some too." That's the last thing that our political climate in the US is supportive of right now, lol. The national standards for living expenses for the US, for a family of 4, is $1450 right now. $765 of that goes to food. We have a decent income and 5 people and we don't spend near $765 on food. Do you have any idea how far that goes in a poor nation? That is months, if not more, worth of food. The state of ND has a budget surplus because of their oil boom that is so large it could solve the food crisis in Africa, but the WHO can't get countries around the world to donate enough to help solve it. Greed IS the main problem, and unfortunately a large % of that greed falls on Americans.
    RebeccaSMaryAnne
  • Yeah I've read that before, that agriculture has been incredibly damaging. I can't remember where, but I think it's pretty well established as fact. Super interesting.
    MaryAnne
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2012
    Just a kindly reminder to please try to be considerate of other members and stick to the topic of hunting, not who's a smart ass or needs a reading comprehension course. Such posts will be considered off-topic and removed without further warning. :)
  • @Karasti

I wonder if that's what I read, too... "The Vegetarian Myth" .
    I'll have to look for it. Kindle, ya think?
  • RebeccaS said:

You know, I rarely think about what I eat or where it comes from.

It's like eating meat from the store... It could come from any kind of nasty living conditions, but at least it wasn't killed specifically for me. But farming my own animals... At least they would have lived well.

Going veggie isn't an option for me :lol:

One of Life's crazy dilemmas, isn't it?

• I would argue that if you buy meat, it was killed specifically for you. By purchasing the meat you are "requesting" it be killed, processed, and provided for you. That being said this whole debate about vegetarianism is really more for monks than lay people. Although become a butcher may be another story (due to the right livelihood precept). I think its a very personal decision and if you aren't in a situation to do it...for whatever reason there is no point in beating yourself up over it.

The monks not eating meat killed for them is based on a different culture and type of economy. It is based on an economy where monks are seen as doing their monk things for the good of all of humanity; therefore, they are supported by the lay people in order to focus on their job of monk stuff. The lay people recognize that it is most important for the monks to be as "karmically clean" as possible to ensure the conditions are right for realization, etc. Remember that monks are held to an entirely different standard than lay people (a lot more rules and considerations).

IMHO, if you are going to eat meat, it is best that you personally know and respect from where it comes. Just as we give thanks to those who prepare food for us... we should give thanks to those that become our food. This is all part of our interconnectedness. Something must die for other things to live. It is part of samsara and will probably never be avoided.
  • tmottes said:

This is all part of our interconnectedness. Something must die for other things to live. It is part of samsara and will probably never be avoided.

The way I've designed my life, nothing has to die in order for me to survive.
    I will continue to do my small part in order to maintain this.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I'm not too sure about this notion of the world not being able to be vegetarian. Animals eat crops to grow, the stat is something like it takes 16 calories of feed to produce one calorie of meat.

I'm copying this over from @Sabre's post on the factory farming thread.
    Raising animals for food is grossly inefficient, because while animals eat large quantities of grain, soybeans, oats, and corn, they only produce comparatively small amounts of meat, dairy products, or eggs in return. This is why more than 70 percent of the grain and cereals that we grow in this country are fed to farmed animals.

It takes up to 16 pounds of grain to produce just 1 pound of meat.
    http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-used-for-food/meat-wastes-natural-resources.aspx

Percentage of corn grown in United States eaten by livestock: 80
    Percentage of soy grown in United States eaten by livestock: 90
    Percentage of oats grown in United States eaten by livestock: 95
    Percentage of protein wasted by cycling grain through livestock: 90
    Percentage of carbohydrate wasted by cycling grain through livestock: 99
    Amount of total U.S. grain production consumed by livestock: 70%
    http://whitt.ca/soapbox/vegetarian.html
    So unless we're talking about only eating wild meat, being vegetarian is far more efficient and environmentally freindly.
    Sabre
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Kangaroo said:

tmottes said:

This is all part of our interconnectedness. Something must die for other things to live. It is part of samsara and will probably never be avoided.

The way I've designed my life, nothing has to die in order for me to survive.
    I will continue to do my small part in order to maintain this.
    I think it is great that you have designed your life to cause as little suffering in this world as possible. It is something we should all strive to do. I am looking at a little bit larger of a picture. Older generations must die so that younger generations can survive. Plants must die and breakdown to become food for other plants. Earthworms are killed whilst tilling the soil and thus return to it to become plants. Spiders will trap and kill insects. Big fish will eat little fish. Life is a process of transition, of ebb and flow.

It could be argued that the only way to completely avoid causing some death, is to gain complete nirvana.

On a side note... people die mining (often forced) materials needed for all sorts of electronics. It is very difficult to live in our modern world and not have some blood on our hands.
    Kangaroo

I'm with you on this @RebeccaS The whole "negative karma accumulated from the killing but not the eating of meat" thing seems very contradictory to me. I posted my thoughts on this above, so I won't repost, but it is... confusing.

Say person A went out hunting and shot a deer, and cooked up some for dinner. Then person B arrives unexpectedly and shares the meal. Person A had the intention to kill, but person B didn't - does that help?

• But why the need to personally kill the animal?

( Leaving aside the whole issue of whether animals should be killed for food ) ;)

I don't trust other people to kill my meat properly. When I do it, the animal is dead before it hits the ground. I skin and gut the animal myself, so I know it is disease free and the meat is healthier than the freezer burnt hormone impregnated "beef" that is the result of an industrialized killing machine geared towards gluttony. And because, in my own way, I view it as my burden to bear. I don't like someone to kill for me.

• I respect those who go out of their way to catch their own meat and try to prevent as much suffering as possible, and I also am intrigued at the notion that being a veggie does not help the world. My main reason for making this thread was the trophy hunters, IMO they are the same as a person swinging a cat around in the street to kill it (that was done in the UK and caught on tape), the pure thrill to kill a living being. That is not the same.
    edited September 2012

Say person A went out hunting and shot a deer, and cooked up some for dinner. Then person B arrives unexpectedly and shares the meal. Person A had the intention to kill, but person B didn't - does that help?
    Sorry, I think I didn't properly explain the question. It's not about eating what's given, it's about buying it in a store. In your above scenario, person B is simply sharing a meal in which no choice was involved. My confusion comes from when people draw a parallel between the above scenario (which is similar to what is recommended for monks) and buying/choosing meat from stores and restaurants, but still believing that this falls under the 'no negative karma accumulated due to not killing the animal/not having it killed specially for them and not seeing/hearing it killed' umbrella. These are very different times than what the Buddha experienced.

I made that clearer in my original post higher up in this thread but might have paraphrased a bit too much in the above quote.