Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Quick approach to Judging of others

edited September 2012 in Diet & Habits
I read this idea recently, and it has been so helpful that I wanted to share it. (I will try and remember where I found it)
paraphrasing.... DId you every play that game where you add the words "in bed" to the end of a fortune cookie?
When I catch myself judging other's, with a thought such as "She is being so _____", (fill in the blank, selfish, rude, arrogant, etc.) I have been adding "Just like me" to the end, or "Just like I sometimes am" (the level 1 version).
I have found it so useful, that I have my kids do this when they judge each other or their peers: "He isn't sharing!".... "Just like I sometimes don't share!"
Not only does it bring immediate compassion for the other person, it helps spark wanting to do avoid that behavior, seeing how it makes someone else feel.
Lee82PrairieGhostpersonzombiegirlMaryAnneamandathetexankatelyn90lobsterLucy_Begood

Comments

• I read that comment in your earlier post and thought it was a fantastic way to look at things, especially to encourage children to think that way. I will have to see if I can introduce that kind of thinking in my children's minds :-)
  • @Lee82- It's been so useful I wanted to pull it out and give it its own post! Now I just have to remember where I read it... LOL. I use it all the time when I find myself getting annoyed with others. I think, possibly every day last week!
  • mmmm i will try that guess it would lead to viewing and treating all as equal. Thank you for the handy advice.