Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Solitary Practitioner ???

Is it possible to be a solitary practitioner in Buddhism?? Some like myself experience a great difficulty in joining a Sangha due to location or work commitments, Can it be practiced alone ?

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    Why would your work commitments prevent you from contacting a Sangha?
    Why would location limit you? Is this site not a Sangha?
    Perhaps the difficulties you mention are something to question.
    &
    I think to really practise is to see there is no such thing as alone.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I think he means physically going to a sangha.

Can it be done in a solitary way? When Budda attained enlightenment, it was a solitary activity. So, yes.

I think attempting to go to a "physical" sangha, at least occasionally, is very desirable. But as one monk in Thailand told me, "Everything you need for Buddhism is right here", as he indicated my head.
  • Yes I see your point. Although I am physically unable to meet with a Sangha this site is the next best thing and is available 24hrs a day.
    MaryAnne
  • Check the rhinoceros sutra.
    Possible. Yes. You can be my Sangha. Everyone can be my Dharma. The Buddha awaits us.

Yeah baby! :clap:
  • There's quite a few cases where I remember the buddha actually recommending being a solitary practitioner. If I run across them I'll post them here.
    I think that absolutely you can practice fully without a sangha. I think ideally it's best to have both practice with a support structure, and also completely independently.
    Bunks
  • edited October 2012
    I think you can be solitary and still be a full Buddhist, but like others say it's good to at least hear talks on-line, or have at least an e-mail relationship with a teacher of the dharma. We have several members of our Sangha that are "long-distance" members. There are very few Nichiren-Shu temples, and so thank goodness for the internet. :) I'm fairly separated from my Sangha right now. It takes three hours to get to the temple... the closest Buddhists are Tendai and 45 mins away, and I go there sometimes to listen to dharma talks. It really helps keep me motivated to practice, and keeps me from getting angry at being taken to church. lol
  • "Everything you need for Buddhism is right here", as he indicated my head.
    You need a body as well.
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Ejou said:

... I'm fairly separated from my Sangha right now. It takes three hours to get to the temple... the closest Buddhists are Tendai and 45 mins away, and I go there sometimes to listen to dharma talks. It really helps keep me motivated to practice, and keeps me from getting angry at being taken to church. lol

LOL =D similar strides in experience! awesome *high five*

@Steve108
    yes I think so, of course! with a spirit and will to the Truth you have every being with you in your heart
  • Steve108 said:

Is it possible to be a solitary practitioner in Buddhism?? Some like myself experience a great difficulty in joining a Sangha due to location or work commitments, Can it be practiced alone ?

Of course. Many of us started out that way, some still practice that way. There are no requirements.

• 60. Leaving behind son and wife, and father and mother, and wealth and grain, and relatives, and sensual pleasures to the full extent, one should wander solitary as a rhinoceros.
    62. Having torn one’s fetters asunder, like a fish breaking a net in the water, not returning, like a fire (not going back) to what is (already) burned, one should wander solitary as a rhinoceros.
    64. Having discarded the marks of a householder, like a coral tree whose leaves have fallen, having gone out (from the house) wearing the saffron robe, one should wander alone like a rhinocerous.

Khaggavisāna-sutta
    http://www.hermitary.com/solitude/rhinoceros.html
    Lee82
  • We are all solitary practitioners, essentially - as well as being social creatures.
    MaryAnne
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    One of my favorite Dalai Lama quotes:
    "People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they’re not on your road doesn’t mean they’ve gotten lost."
    sovaRebeccaSDavid
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Steve108 said:

Is it possible to be a solitary practitioner in Buddhism??

I'm mostly a solitary practitioner these days, but I do also enjoy some Buddhist company from time to time. ;)
  • Buddhism is the last refuge of a recluse.
    lobster
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    The difficulty/danger of practicing alone is pride.

The difficulty/danger of practicing with others is laziness.

Everything has got its difficulties and dangers.

Do it anyway.
    vinlynsovaZero
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    Steve108 said:

Is it possible to be a solitary practitioner in Buddhism??

Can it be practiced alone ?

Yes.

As you are able to live alone, you are also able to practice alone.

There are many things we are able to do - whether we do them or not is another matter!

Do what is suitable for you - that will change too!
    how
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    music said:

Buddhism is the last refuge of a recluse.

There are worse places to seek refuge...
    ;)
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Welcome to the universal Sangha.