Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meat to Veg.

Is it difficult to make the transition from a meat eating diet to a vegetarian diet. Something that I've wanted to do for a while now but have been unable to take that first step. Any tips please.

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited October 2012
    I went from a standard british blue meat diet to instant lacto ovo vegetarian upon entering a monastery for a retreat. I worried for my health with such a change but really never noticed the difference. I just stayed a vegetarian ever since.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Maybe try not eating meat a few days a week as a transition and to gain some experience in the types of foods and nutrition needs.
  • Learn to make nutloaf, beanloaf. We had Linda Mccartney sausages for tea - veggie yum.
    soya mince = easy
    Aim to be vegan, then successfully fail into veggieness
    It is very easy. Don't buy meat, then you won't eat it.
    I used to only eat meat when eating out. That is a halfway approach.
    Eat fish only to start.
    It is easy. You don't miss meat and you tend to eat better.
  • Unfortunately I am not a fan of eating fish, just couldn't get on with the taste. Yuk
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited October 2012
    One thing I'd suggest right of the bat is seeing which (if any) non-meat "meaty" things appeal to you. Many times it's not just the actual meat people miss, but a nice, textured, savory "meaty thing" of some kind.

I don't know if you've tried seitan/wheat gluten, for example, but it can be fried/boiled/baked/grilled/you-name-it into all kinds of delicious meaty-like dishes. You can use the same sauces, marinades, seasonings, etc. you would on chicken or beef. At a Taiwanese Buddhist gathering once they were roasting what looked like a massive pork hock and I was really confused--found out it was a massive gluten hock ;)

Tofu gets an unfairly-bad rap; if you get the firm stuff and fry it hot enough, or bake it, especially after marinating, it's awesome and has plenty of "chew."

There are also Adventist product lines (Worthington Foods, Loma Linda Foods--I think they've merged now), that make delicious canned products designed to be meatlike--much tastier, often, than the secular equivalents, although those are improving rapidly. Fri-Chik (like chicken nuggets), Big Franks (like beef franks), Skallops (like scallops), etc., are a few examples. My family now insists I make stir-fry with Fri-Chik instead of regular chicken!

Once again, I find myself hungry and drooling after reading a NewBuddhist thread ;)
  • person said:

Maybe try not eating meat a few days a week as a transition and to gain some experience in the types of foods and nutrition needs.

Exactly. Cut it out slowly. It might take a little while for your body to adjust and this will give you time to explore other foods that leave you feeling full and that are nutritionally viable.
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Well,

rice
    mushrooms
    eggplant
    peppers, tomatoes, all veggies
    all fruits,
    tofu
    beans (oh so tasty -- legumes -- you can make soups, spreads, anything)
    breads (although I guess technically contain Egg?)

Anyway, mushrooms are a good replacement "main" for most meats. I get Roasted Black Bean patties from the store and they are scrumptious. When I went Veg I didn't know what to eat, but try just swapping out meat with [non-meat] and go from there. I also learned to love every vegetable. Yum, so crunchy, juicy, tasty! =D
  • I eat a low meat diet -- no meat at home, but I eat meat at family dinners and sometimes in restaurants. In a typical week I eat around two non-veggie meals. I would like to further limit my meat intake by cutting out meat (except fish) at restaurants. Family dinners are really hard, and I don't even want to attempt dealing with that yet. Anyway, what I've found works for me personally when it comes to changing habits is to not try to make enormous changes all at once. When I do, I tend to fail big time and become disheartened and lose motivation. Taking smaller steps keeps me from becoming overwhelmed.

When it comes to vegetarian meals I eat a lot of beans and chick peas which are good sources of protein and can be prepared a lot of different ways (thrown in salads, baked in casseroles, stews, soups etc). I also eat almonds for the same reason (I like to put them in salads), but I have to be somewhat careful with my nut intake since I managed to eat walnuts too often and developed a mild sensitivity. Hummus makes great sandwich spread. Roasting veggies in the oven is a lovely way to prepare them and is super easy. I am all about the easy when it comes to food preparation. I love to eat and try new things, but I did not inherit the cooking gene that the rest of my family got.

I don't like many of the fake meat products and tend to just enjoy veggies for what they are (did find a decent meatless chorizo sausage though). I don't have any plans to ever give up dairy or eggs, and if you wish to continue eating those that will give you plenty of options too. My problem isn't a dislike of vegetarian meals or a specific craving for meat in general, but having trouble turning down my family's excellent cooking (plus I hate to inconvenience people) as well as situations where there are not a lot of alternatives available -- despite wanting to have a meat free weekend, I ended up with a meat pie at the Ren Fair *sigh*.
  • Thank you one and all, you have certainly given me food for thought.
    sova
  • Unfortunately I am not a fan of eating fish, just couldn't get on with the taste. Yuk
    Does not compute, some form of taste heresy . . .
    Try masala fish or curried with something you like.

Without fish. No life. [Lobsterian saying]
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Sile said:

Tofu gets an unfairly-bad rap; if you get the firm stuff and fry it hot enough, or bake it, especially after marinating, it's awesome and has plenty of "chew."

Yes, tofu is yummy but not easy to get hold of where I live. I tend to eat quorn which is widely available and tastes a bit like chicken...
    :D
    lobster said:

Without fish. No life. [Lobsterian saying]

I'm glad to be a mammal and not a fish... :p
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    @Sile Seitan's texture is so awesome! It is by far the best 'meaty thing' substitute I know of. It absorbs flavor, browns nicely... it's all around awesome. The taco joint by me uses Seitan in their veggi tacos.

Quorn is a brandname that makes a great chicken/turkey patty substitute of a sort. It's made out of a form of fungus (you can think mushroom, if you like, lol) that is high in protein and provides a nice natural texture and flavor. It doesn't exactly taste LIKE chicken, per se, but it does taste nice. In my experience, I don't much care for the veg things that are supposed to taste LIKE their meat counterpart because they will almost always be disappointing (try veggi bacon, I dare you). I'd rather eat something that tastes good on it's own without adding in a bunch of weird chemical flavors.

@black_tea Did the veg chorizo you mention come from Trader Joes? Someone else told me I should try it but I haven't yet.
  • SileSile Veteran
    Wheat gluten has a long history of use in Asia as a food in its own right. It's true that much of the tradition swirls around vegetarian desires, but it is often served as "just another meat," too.

Two of my faves are 油麵筋 - yau min jeung (oily wheat tendon, lol) are those delicious little tender bites, sometimes called mock abalone

And all-time fave, 烤麩 - hau fu (baked wheatbran), sometimes braised and marinated. My mom used it for our curries - it soaks up sauce like nobody's business:

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Steve108 said:

Is it difficult to make the transition from a meat eating diet to a vegetarian diet. Something that I've wanted to do for a while now but have been unable to take that first step. Any tips please.

I'm with you! I seem to be able to do it gradually. Perhaps that is where one should begin?
    arunsinghnepal

• @black_tea Did the veg chorizo you mention come from Trader Joes? Someone else told me I should try it but I haven't yet.

I got it at Krogers I can't recall the brand off the top of my head -- it's been awhile since I've eaten it. I think chorizo lends itself well to being made meatless since it's pretty highly spiced and is crumbly -- easier to mimic the flavor and texture.

• People use to ask me about being vegetarian: "But what do you eat then?"
    and I always answer "Anything but meat". =D That's really how it is. I prefered to think of it as a creative opportunity to make dishes without meat in the beginning.

Just watch out for the lack of B12 which is mainly gain from meat and dairy products.

Good luck!
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    krut said:

Just watch out for the lack of B12 which is mainly gain from meat and dairy products.

If you eat healthy (and not have any genetic b12 deficient diseases) B12 never will be a problem in your life until you get really old when consume supplements is recommended for vegetarians and not vegetarians.

B12 is produced by bacteria, not directly by plants or animals, and actually bacteria found in our intestines produce some. So is good for this and others reasons have a healthy gut flora.

So if you eat sometimes Nori seaweed in sushi and breakfast cereals you'll be fine. :)

• Just enjoy your meat!
  • Grill a portabella.
    sova
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited November 2012
    footiam said:

Just enjoy your meat!

Not exactly helpful, considering the OP.

Grill a portabella.

Ditto.

• Steve108, just dive in! Protein and iron, what you will be lacking by giving up red meat, abound in the vegetarian world.

On the protein side: tofu, lentils, garbanzo beans (chick peas here in Australia), fresh soy beans (also known as endamame, totally delicious with soy sauce and sesame seeds), kidney beans, the queen of grains Quinoa (pronounced keenwah), eggs (a source of B12). There's a fantastic product called Quorn which comes as mince, sausages, medallions etc. And don't forget nuts and seeds which you can snack on.

On the iron side: When you become a vegetarian the idea is to eat a lot of vegetables, more than the recommended 2 1/2 cups per day. Try to make every meal at least half to 2/3 plant food. That way you won't miss out on iron because it is present in most vegetables. Leafy greens a great sources, especially Kale. Those endamame beans are chock full of iron. Try and eat veges at every meal. Think eggs, spinach and mushrooms for breakfast. Avoid filling up on starches like bread, rice, potatoes and pasta, too many carbs is not a good thing.

Don't forget dairy, it's considered one of the most complete foods, but don't overdo it as it can be high in carbs and fat (provided you are not considering vegan).

Don't overdo fruit either as it's high in natural sugars.

Becoming vegetarian isn't only about replacing one food for another. You need to rethink what constitutes a meal if you aren't building around a dead animal (sorry ;-) The formats of your meals may change. Hurrah for one pot meals and substantial salads.
    There is a wealth of information and recipes on the net. Sometimes cooking vego can be time consuming but there are shortcuts.

The only hitch I've found is when I travel, and this is true just about anywhere. Warn restaurants before hand. Last year I was in Bali and all I was offered for 10 days was Nasi Goreng (rice) and tofu. Not a vege in sight except for spring onions!

Good luck Steve108, eating a well balanced diet you will look better, feel better and your body will function better... and you will be honouring sila by abstaining from taking life in order to survive.

I don't much care for the veg things that are supposed to taste LIKE their meat counterpart because they will almost always be disappointing (try veggi bacon, I dare you). I'd rather eat something that tastes good on it's own without adding in a bunch of weird chemical flavors.

I agree. But it does seem there is a market for products which taste and look like meat but aren't. Which is interesting.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Steve108 said:

Watching a bunch of videos of cows getting slaughtered, is what made it pretty easy for me personally. It made the transition effortless. It's very difficult to consider a taste preference as being important, after seeing that stuff.

zombiegirlSile
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Just a side note, fruits vary widely in their sugar content. Bananas, pineapple, apricots, melons and pineapple are high GI fruits. But pears, apples, peaches, grapefruit, oranges, berries especially, grapes, are all low to moderate on the GI scale. There are people who actually live on just fruit, olives and nuts alone. If I could afford it, that is what I'd do, lol.
    Sile
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    seeker242 said:

Steve108 said:

Watching a bunch of videos of cows getting slaughtered, is what made it pretty easy for me personally. It made the transition effortless. It's very difficult to consider a taste preference as being important, after seeing that stuff.

Same for me. I flirted with vegetarianism for a while but it wasn't until I happened upon some PETA videos that I really felt passionately enough to make the switch. Even being done "humanely" it still is pretty awful to watch.
    Sile
  • Try a little bit here and a little bit there - find veggie substitutes you like, and then make that a joyful part of your weekly diet. Eventually you may find enough wonderful dishes to mostly or completely replace meat. Don't feel like you've failed if you break down and have some fish with your mate--maybe eat two veggie meals on your own to make up for it, things like that.

There are countless delicious veggie options and the process of finding them and tweaking them to your tastes can be a really enjoyable experience.
  • Quorn is a really tasty, protein packed meat substitute you can cook with your veggies, in a curry, with tacos ect ect.. They have heaps of different options. The main ingredient is Micronutrients which comes from a funghi similiar to truffles. It looks and tastes very similiar to meat, but is soy and meat free. I love it :) I became a vego to stop supporting the meat industry/killing animals, so i still like the taste/texture of meat and in the past always substituted meat with soy products but after reading too many times that soy is detremental to health (still supposedly) I tried quorn and i very much enjoy and recommend! :)
    lillymac61
    Fun fact about Quorn... The guy who "invented" it did a lot of research to try and figure out what fungi would be the best meat substitute because as he saw it... humanity is increasing at a rate that will make farming techniques completely antiquated and unable to provide meat to the masses in the future. He obviously didn't see our new version of the meat industry coming, lol. We now know that meat consumption is on the rise, so he was dead wrong, but it now serves as a great meat substitute nonetheless.
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran

We now know that meat consumption is on the rise, so he was dead wrong.

Maybe he wasn't dead wrong after all :)

http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=4916&catId=1
  • Well OP, expect a little bit of time during the transitional period where you may feel a little ill or nauseous, you might also have loose stool or become constipated... You're radically changing your diet, doing so always involves some level of discomfort. Just be aware that eventually, your body will adjust just fine. Oh yes, learn to like the taste of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutritional_yeast
  • I'm just reading a book now called Eat, Sleep, and Run by Scott Jurek. He's a top level Ultra marathon runner; he runs (and wins) races of between 50 miles and 135 miles though some seriously difficult terrain and climates (such as Death Valley).

He's been a vegan for many years - despite people telling him top athletes can't be - and he assigns part of his success to his vegan diet.

He scatters a few of his favourite vegan foods, including stuff he fuels with, throughout the book if anyone's interested.

I don't know if Jurek is 'Buddhist', but he has an interest in Buddhism. He's from the US so I can imagine he would tone down any non-Christian belief; but it's a good read if anyone is interested in running and a non meat diet.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Jurek, and olympian Kara Goucher are both from the Duluth, MN area, which is right near where I live. He's a super cool guy, very down to earth.
  • I hope to offer my advice on this topic. Long before discovering the teachings of buddhism, I relinquished eating meat. I had a helping hand however, a brand of food called Morning Star. Most tasty meat treats I enjoyed through my childhood have a non-meat counterpart of very similar taste. So the transition was not difficult and quite literally happened over-night. Since then I have widened my beliefs to be more like that of buddha's, where if food is given containing meat, that I accept the gift and eat it regardless. I've found this to be helpful of people who simply cannot understand the choice. They may not like the fact that I follow vegetarianism, but are put at ease that they don't have to go out of the way to suit my beliefs when trying to offer dinner or such. If you have any specific questions concerning it, I would be happy to answer them to the best of my ability.
    edited December 2012

We now know that meat consumption is on the rise, so he was dead wrong.

Maybe he wasn't dead wrong after all :)

http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=4916&catId=1
    Yes! This is amazing! Thanks for posting! I've always viewed vegetarianism as a 'vote'. When you spend your money, you're essentially voting for stock to be replenished, which means more money for the supplier, which keeps them in production. That article is awesome because it proves that people's choices are affecting the amount of animals slaughtered. Very cool indeed. Even better is that the change isn't coming from vegetarians as much as it is from omnivores, choosing to eat less meat. I think vegetarianism will always be a little bit of an extreme, but it's nice to see that parts of the general population are recognizing the ills of the meat industry as well.

Oh, but in regards to what was quoted, the increase in meat consumption is only relevant because it's sustainable. The inventor of Quorn didn't think it was sustainable, thus, he thought it would lessen. We've proven that we can raise much more meat than anyone ever expected... although obviously... it's an inferior product. Something always has to give.
    Cole_black_tea