Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Spending Time With Stephen Batchelor.

Batchelor seems to have become a bit of a boogieman to some. Someone to scare the Buddhist kiddiewinks with.
It might be of interest to learn a little of what it is like to spend time in his company, and that of his wife Martine ?
What comes over most strongly is their kindness and sensitivity to others.
They do not talk about their absence of belief in Rebirth when talking informally... there is absolutely no glint of fanaticism in their eyes.
They do not present at all as people who know that others are wrong.
They do not criticise others.
They are always encouraging to others regarding meditation practice.
They each spend a good deal of time each day on the cushion.
And its all done with kindness and gentleness.
DaozenFoibleFull

Comments

• BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    Yes, all the people I know who have done retreats with them, have said how warm Stephen and Martine are.
    And that included several very faith-based Theravada Buddhists, who were very much into devas and rebirth and levels of existence. The faith-followers had nothing but good things to say after their retreat.
    So, that's nice.
    Daozen
  • Personally James I am a great believer in the old adage that its all about walking the talk..and I think they do.
    Daozen
  • Nice to hear a different perspective on Mr Batchelor. Very nice indeed.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Im sure they are very nice, But even nice people can have wrong views and that is the critic of Stephen Batchelor not his personality.
    JeffreySilePatr
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Lots of people are " nice " Caz...the Batchelors walk the talk.
    The converse of those who ( to quote The Incredible String Band ) "
    " Know all the words
    and have sung all the notes
    but have never quite learned the song. ".
    " Wrong views " are not just a matter of correcting credence to things not personally experienced..
    Wrong views are any view that needs defending.
    RebeccaS
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Not all wrong views are created equal. I don't reject Batchelor's view on rebirth as wrong, only his pressure on others to accept it as right. Meaning, I believe in rebirth, but I'm fine if others don't. I think holding a view that we should pressure others is a wrong view, and I think preaching a view that those who don't accept our view are "unmodern" is a wrong view. There is simply no logical or ethical justification for even mild ad hominems as a basis for fueling the wildfire of one's own view. If calling other Buddhists unmodern is the way to be a modern Buddhist, then I think I'll stick with being unmodern.

I certainly have no ill feelings toward the man. Maybe it's a matter of the printed word and his niceness getting lost in translation. But we are left with the question then of why his printed works (and transcribed interviews) have an edgy tone of proselytization combined with imagery of battles, camps and fault lines.
    DaftChrispersonRebeccaS
  • Its not just his niceness that does not transfer to print...its his basic openness. I have
    seen him with various people who accept literal post mortem rebirth and his aim with them and with everyone else at all times is to encourage practice practice practice..That is his priority.
    Someone I know wanted to do a highly traditional retreat taught by a teacher who sees post mortem rebirth as an essential belief PRIOR to practice..However he was short of cash..
    Guess who helped him out financially ...
  • Citta:

Regarding your OP, lots of Buddhist newbies are looking for a mum and dad. I understand where you're coming from. I bet they are very nice people—sweet as chocolate pie. But being super nice and sweet doesn't mean Stephen and Martine and Mr. & Mrs. Buddha. Far from it.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited November 2012
    I really dont care what you think about this or any other topic " Songhill " I think I have got your number....but feel free.
    vinlyn
  • Citta said:

I really dont care what you think about this or any other topic " Songhill " I think I have got your number....but feel free.

You're making a big leap from people being kind and sensitive, to teachers who actually know something about Buddhism. I would caution anyone that kind and sensitive doesn't always equal knowledge of the Dharma. I don't get the impression from Bachelor's works that he is seeking the unborn and won the unborn who then opens the door of the deathless (amata).

• Kindness IS the Dharma.
    DaozenlobsterMaryAnne
  • RebeccaS said:

Kindness IS the Dharma.

Its absence is one of the clearest indicators of adhamma. The coldness of the scholar. The deadly touch of the puritan, the tunelessness of those who know all the words have have never opened their heart to the song...

Daozen
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Kindness is one road to enlightenment. Wisdom and compassion are two wings. Ayya Khem explained in one talk how the five factors in a meditation purify the consciousness. Then in the next talk she said that compassion would take you eventually to the same place.

But strictly speaking kindness is categorized into relative bodhicitta of the first five paramitas. The bodhisattva practices it in order to become attractive to sentient beings. (and just because it is the right thing and feels good). But the wisdom is the equinimity produced by letting go of craving/ignorance etc

In TB there is a union of compassion and wisdom. So lack of one is evident of the lack of another.

Note: I am not the compassion police. :thumbsup:
  • But there's also a difference between wisdom and just being smart.

You can be crazy intelligent and not wise at all.
  • RebeccaS:
    Kindness IS the Dharma.
    Kindness is not the Dharma.
    The Self signifies the Buddha; the Eternal signifies the Dharmakaya; Bliss signifies Nirvana, and the Pure signifies Dharma. ~ Mahaparinirvana Sutra
    Furthermore, that which is most pure is Mind. According to Zen master Huang-po:
    "This Dharma is Mind, and outside of Mind there is no Dharma. This Mind is Dharma, and outside of this Dharma there is no mind."
    lobster
  • Citta said:

\Its absence is one of the clearest indicators of adhamma. The coldness of the scholar. The deadly touch of the puritan, the tunelessness of those who know all the words have have never opened their heart to the song...

I think what @Citta is trying to say is
    Seeking controversy, they plunge into an assembly,
    regarding one another as fools.
    Relying on others' authority,
    they speak in debate.
    Desiring praise, they claim to be skilled.

Engaged in disputes in the midst of the assembly,
    — anxious, desiring praise —
    the one defeated is
    chagrined.
    Shaken with criticism, he seeks for an opening.

He whose doctrine is [judged as] demolished,
    defeated, by those judging the issue:
    He laments, he grieves — the inferior exponent.
    "He beat me," he mourns.

These disputes have arisen among contemplatives.
    In them are elation,
    dejection.
    Seeing this, one should abstain from disputes,
    for they have no other goal
    than the gaining of praise.

He who is praised there
    for expounding his doctrine
    in the midst of the assembly,
    laughs on that account & grows haughty,
    attaining his heart's desire.

That haughtiness will be his grounds for vexation,
    for he'll speak in pride & conceit.
    Seeing this, one should abstain from debates.
    No purity is attained by them, say the skilled.
  • Citta:
    Its absence is one of the clearest indicators of adhamma. The coldness of the scholar. The deadly touch of the puritan, the tunelessness of those who know all the words have have never opened their heart to the song...
    We only need to worry about the puthujjana (the common, run of the mill worldling who has not entered the stream).
    The puthujjana, on the other hand, living apart from knowledge and conduct, being unversed in conduct, neither knows nor see things are the really are (A.ii.163) and it is through his inability to understand anything as it really is (S.ii.81) that he does not understand as it really is that the mind is radiant, with the result that there is for him no cultivation (bhâvanâ) of that radiant mind (AN 1.10)" (Peter Masefiled).
    So, let us cultivate the radiant Mind and leave Puthujjanaville. :p
  • Well, I've yet have to run into a Buddhist that isn't kind and sensitive to others in one way or another. I think Stephen Batchelor will also be. Some show it more, some show it less. I think those who decide to devote a lot of time to teaching, show it more.

With kindness,
    Sabre
  • We shouldn't forget the Four Means of Gaining Followers: 1) giving (dana); 2) kind words (priyavadita); 3) consistency between words and deeds (samanarthata); 4) helpfulness (arthacarya).

Most Lamas know this and I am sure Mr. Batchelor knows this, too. While almost anyone use the four means (yes, even politicians), this doesn't mean they've realized the unborn.
    lobster
  • @Songhill, the Mahayana has the bodhisattva path. From the perspective of the Bodhisattva path all four of those things are essential. Unless someone is not on the Bodhisattva path they should cultivate all four of those qualities in order to reach out to those in harmful effects of samsara and carry them out'a that mess.

:om:
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    I don't recall anyone criticizing his writing or ideas because he was unkind or not a nice person. :)
  • Jeffery:
    @Songhill, the Mahayana has the bodhisattva path. From the perspective of the Bodhisattva path all four of those things are essential. Unless someone is not on the Bodhisattva path they should cultivate all four of those qualities in order to reach out to those in harmful effects of samsara and carry them out'a that mess.
    The only thing essential for establishing the Bodhisattva path is bodhicittotpada—it commences with it.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2012
    @Songhill, The bodhisattva practices the six paramitas. I don't know what bodhicittopada is. Anyhow I'm not an authority on bodhisattvas in any case, but I know that they try to save beings and the first five paramitas make them in position.

Don't forget that the actual bodhisattva path comes from the vast vision of liberating beings. Don't just grasp onto (the bliss of) the vision and forget what the vision is trying to accomplish.

Liturgy of my sangha:

"The past is only a thought.
    Now I can look on to others with joy that is open and clear
    sensing their goodness..

Wisdom of my heart please instruct me
    Don't leave me in the dark
    Come now and show me the pathway and how to bring others a light

You are forever within me\
    YOu are the light of my life
    Please never turn away from me
    Stay with me till the end of the path

Even as I pray to my hearts light
    the fire of wisdom and love
    stirs in my heart and fills me
    with

All of this is given for others
    that they find this open way too
    the way of the heart that is within us
    May they awaken us all"
  • Jeffery:
    but I know that they try to save beings and the first five paramitas make them in position.
    According to Grandmaster Hui-hai: "To a Bodhisattva, every thought arising in the mind is a living being." When he looks at these beings he sees that they actually have no unique own-nature (svabhâva) (e.g., the thought of anger has no anger-ness). There is only Mind which is luminous and space-like. This is the liberation of sentient beings.

Also keep in mind that Bodhisattvas are not carnal beings—they are spiritual.
    "His [Bodhisattva] body is hard, diamond-like, real, infallible and indestructible. It does not contain either a belly, or stomach, or excrement, or urine, or bad odors or impurity" (Shurangamasamadhi Sutra § 31).
    JeffreyPatr
  • You can't transmit the wisdom in your first paragraph if you don't practice the first five paramitas because nobody will listen to you.

I'm talking about helping sentient beings.

Perhaps there is a relationship between realizing Mind and the first five paramitas. There certainly is? Incidentally, you didn't respond to my saying that the bodhisattva practices the paramitas :J)
  • SonghillSonghill Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Jeffrey:

You can't practice paramitas or the bhumis without first accomplishing bodhicittotpada. How is a prithagjana with his bestial skandha body going to accomplish other than samsara? He can't even save himself.

Why does it say in the Diamond Cutter Sutra, " And yet, although innumerable beings have thus been led to Nirvana, no being at all has been led to Nirvana"?
    Jeffrey
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Sile said:

Not all wrong views are created equal. I don't reject Batchelor's view on rebirth as wrong, only his pressure on others to accept it as right.

"Pressure"? Who said anything about pressure? All he's done is lay out his experiences and the conclusions he's come to as a result of very intensive study, for others to take or leave as they choose. In fact, Batchelor has turned down numerous requests to start a formal movement or organization. Some people find his position very helpful. We've seen people here who were about to turn away from Buddhism altogether, but found a viable (for them) path upon discovering Batchelor. I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Really, if one wants to find "wrong views" in Buddhism, one needn't look very far. There already was a tangled plethora of contradictory views long before Batchelor came along.

And I agree with the OP; Stephen and Martine are very soft-spoken, and they function from a place of compassion, not ego or dogma.

vinlyn
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2012
    @Songhill, I agree and that's the whole point. The boddhisattvas practice the paramitas whereas us reg'lar Buddhists try to become inspired by them ^ and accumulate the knowledge and establish the relationship to awakening.

Still isn't it fun to pretend we/you/one is/are a boddhisattva? :P

But my central thesis is that if you don't see the paramitas practiced it is not a bodhisattva though it could be a hardworking solitary realizer or drug store occultist or something in between.
  • Really, if one wants to find "wrong views" in Buddhism, one needn't look very far. There already was a tangled plethora of views long before Batchelor came along.
    @Dakini, I think that is true but the way Batchelor writes can rub some people the wrong way. He sort of gesticulates < new word I learned during the political elections on facebook. :lol:

You might not be feeling the rubbing the wrong way, but I certainly see time and time again people feeling he is an 'evangelical agnostic'. Anyway that's the term I coined for him: 'gesticulating evangelical agnostic'.

Great point in what I quoted though. We are in samsara and we all disagree. That's just the way it is. Luckily we don't have to agree and we all set our own course of course in friendship at times.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Jeffrey said:

the way Batchelor writes can rub some people the wrong way.
    You might not be feeling the rubbing the wrong way, but I certainly see time and time again people feeling he is an 'evangelical agnostic'.

I'm open to considering this, but I'd need to see examples. How do we know this isn't something people are projecting onto him?

• Jeffrey:
    Jeffery my good friend, Buddhism is far more subtle than you can even dream of right now—take my word for it. And yes, the Buddhas are still here. When you awaken to the pure Mind your real journey will begin. Then, in time, the Buddhas will empower you to begin your Bodhisattva journey—and what a journey it is.

_/\_
    JeffreyPatr
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2012
    @Dakini, if I could dig up the book club thread I had some concrete examples. Unfortunately I have forgotten the book. So I can't explain how he is an evangelical Buddhist. But it is evident that he rubs some people the wrong way at least some find that. Is it true? Yes it is true he rubs some the wrong way, but that doesn't mean he isn't justified perhaps. We are all grown ups and can't expect every Buddhist figure to please us. Again my last sentence also refers back to...

Jeffrey said:

Really, if one wants to find "wrong views" in Buddhism, one needn't look very far. There already was a tangled plethora of views long before Batchelor came along.

• @Jeffrey Well, you were saying that he rubs people the wrong way because he comes across as evangelical. I don't get that impression from his writing or his lectures, so I was wondering if this were something that some people project onto him. Just because his views contradict their own, and he can quote scripture to support his analysis, people may be projecting something onto him that's all in their minds. People can't annoy you if you don't let them--if you don't have anything for them to hook you with.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2012
    I am recalling that he made some flawed arguments. And he had an agenda. The actuality is somewhere between an agenda and others projecting perhaps. Anyhow I don't have anything concrete to discuss. I did list several flawed arguments in the book club thread where we read Buddhism Without Beliefs by Batchelor.

It's actually similar to this thread. A vague 'modern Buddhists'. Batchelor did the same thing and made sweeping generalizations covering all traditions such as: "meditation is (taught as) transcendental (by the establishment)."
  • I agree there are flawed arguments or inconsistencies. That's different from saying that he's pushing his views, or proselytizing his position.
    vinlyn
  • That's true. There is definitely some projecting by me, but that's to be expected. It is natural; that's samsara, Dakini, to project. No harm was done in his book. He just explained his thinking. I just wish he could write in a way that is more skillful. In Buddhism Without Beliefs I enjoyed his presentation of the dharma, the 12 links of awareness were described in a common sense way I had never seen. I think it is cool that he has a group of fans and encourages them to keep practicing without saying "oh I can't be a Buddhist because I don't have all the mystical beliefs". So I am definitely happy he is on earth. :)
    Dakini
  • hm...you're reminding me now of his writing style in Buddhism Without Beliefs. I think one reason he annoys people is that he avoided jargon in that book, and explained everything in mundane, everyday language. Some people can't relate. Actually, I preferred his other book, "Confession of a Buddhist Atheist", or whatever it was.
  • Yeah, both books are good, but Confession is the better one.
  • I have read the current topics of discussion (w/o joining in) and it has deepened my understanding of Buddhism in Westerners minds, and their outlook in respect to established traditions.

The Buddhist Dharma is an incredibly deep and vast teaching. Its also known as 'Universal Law', or the truth about existence. Truth here is divided into plain and absolute truths. Plain truth is of course everyday things which we see, read,touch and experience. One whose minds are twisted or sick would then see this differently, so there is a 'normal' level of comprehension for all.

While the absolute truth is beyond most people's comprehension! Sure, you read all the written material on the Dharma and translate it into thought,... mental fabrications.
    Rubbish in, rubbish out........truth in, truth out, as well.

BUT, how much of the written material is true or correct, even some of the Mahayana sutras are suspect, what more modern material by so called masters?

Coming back, what is the absolute truth? Well, the Buddha has taught us (go read the Nikayas), one might very well comprehend the written word and explanation by famous speakers, but is there really realisation?????
    Yes, this word, to realise the truth of the teachings, this is very profound, yet subtle, yet enlightening.
    Thats why masters are described as having certain 'realisations'.

The Buddha has said of the Dharma's decay setting in, esp when self proclaimed experts start compiling their own version(s), "OH! I understand and like these bits but not the others, and of course add in my own interpretations, my added signature bits, for sure". This has happened everytime a cult or branch, or new chapter or religion or club or whatever has started.

To recognise and realise the ultimate truths require innate wisdom, having 30 years of Dharma studies and being extremely kind, compassionate does not guarantee anything beyond the mundane. Only perhaps an exalted image of one's own worth. Things are compounded when they start teaching their warped virulent ideas.
    I, very much stick to the original Dharma, trying to expand and expound on it.

We all can imagine being in outer space, after all having read and seen movies, one can literally feel the sensation, but is it the same as being there. (this is only an example, no, I've not been in there too). This is whats realisation about, we can only describe it, cant bring you there, too bad, everyone has their own journey of discovery, whether its upwards/ downwards to other realms or just the neighbouring county.

To cherry pick on the original Tripitaka, saying its outdated, not for todays lifestyle, means the person hasnt understood enough. Hang in there, keep an open mind, meditate correctly, the realisations might just be round the corner.
    One cant prefer to stay on the top storey and demolish the ground floor, bcos you dont agree with it.

Remember, Mother Theresa prayed for her whole life without getting a glimpse of her God, but she didnt pack it in and most importantly, cherry pick on her Institutions
    core beliefs and start a new teaching.......................
    person
  • Citta said:

Personally James I am a great believer in the old adage that its all about walking the talk..and I think they do.

Bump...This may be insightful or it might arrogant..but I am pretty sure I know , after meeting scores of Buddhist teachers over decades and learning to detect the commonalities, who walks the talk, and who does not. Its about dozens of little subtle signs.
    And I think I know on this thread who walks the talk, and who is deluded.

I will leave it there.

• Songhill said:

Jeffrey:

Jeffery my good friend, Buddhism is far more subtle than you can even dream of right now—take my word for it. And yes, the Buddhas are still here. When you awaken to the pure Mind your real journey will begin. Then, in time, the Buddhas will empower you to begin your Bodhisattva journey—and what a journey it is.

_/\_

Songhill, my good friend, Buddhism is much simpler than you can ever hope for right now--take my word for it. There is nothing subtle about it. It is the ground beneath our feet and the silence between thoughts. It's giving without expectation of reward. The Bodhisattva vows are simple and direct, as is the Dharma we practice.

It's nothing special. A hundred Zen masters have tried to tell people that and been ignored.
    CittaGui
  • RebeccaS said:

Exactly.

I don't know anything about Bachelor, but I can tell you that I'd rather learn from a kind though not as bright person than a highly intelligent, well read person without an ounce of warmth.

You can memorize and repeat all the suttas you like, but if you haven't even got basic kindness down then you don't understand the dharma at all.

Of course, there is always room for tough love, but emphasis on the love, you know? (I think a TV judge said that but he was right :lol: )

But my issue with him is exactly that - his unkind words towards those who believe in rebirth. How can suggesting to new Buddhists that they are immediately to consider themselves members of warring camps be considered kind? Or that if they believe in rebirth, they are unmodern and uneducated, sure to be left in the dust of the modern, level-headed scientific Buddhist camp? None of that constitutes basic kindness or fosters an atmosphere of tolerance. I believe everyone here who says he is kind in person, I really do. Is it that he intends his writings for one audience, and his in-person teachings for another? In person, is it the case that he does not refer to camps and fault lines and the ignorance of people such as myself (a modern Buddhist who believes in rebirth), and if so, why the discrepancy?

I know people can communicate very differently in different settings - print, interview, intimate classroom, dharma teaching - yet it seems to me the concept of "Buddhists at war" would have to be somewhat at the forefront of his thinking for it to come up regularly in his writings and interviews. If it is the case that it doesn't come up in person, why emphasize it in writing, but de-emphasize it in person?
    Patr
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    Citta said:

Batchelor seems to have become a bit of a boogieman to some. Someone to scare the Buddhist kiddiewinks with.
    It might be of interest to learn a little of what it is like to spend time in his company, and that of his wife Martine ?
    And its all done with kindness and gentleness.

This, exactly, is the benefit of the sangha. They show you what it is like to walk the walk. You cannot get this understanding from books, it must be observed first-hand. It is what Buddhism is about, this "way of being".

Citta
  • Cinorjer:
    Songhill, my good friend, Buddhism is much simpler than you can ever hope for right now--take my word for it. There is nothing subtle about it. It is the ground beneath our feet and the silence between thoughts. It's giving without expectation of reward. The Bodhisattva vows are simple and direct, as is the Dharma we practice.

It's nothing special. A hundred Zen masters have tried to tell people that and been ignored.
    What Buddhist commune did you come from my good friend? Is it in California? Will taking off our clothes and shoes help? Will we need a drool bucket while we sit naked on a zafu, made of organic fibers, blissfully sensing the silence between our thoughts?
    TheEccentric
  • The dog stops barking and bites. :o
  • FoibleFull:
    This, exactly, is the benefit of the sangha. They show you what it is like to walk the walk. You cannot get this understanding from books, it must be observed first-hand. It is what Buddhism is about, this "way of being".
    So when you observed Stephen firsthand do you believe that at that moment you became enlightened?
  • Sile said:

RebeccaS said:

Exactly.

I don't know anything about Bachelor, but I can tell you that I'd rather learn from a kind though not as bright person than a highly intelligent, well read person without an ounce of warmth.

You can memorize and repeat all the suttas you like, but if you haven't even got basic kindness down then you don't understand the dharma at all.

Of course, there is always room for tough love, but emphasis on the love, you know? (I think a TV judge said that but he was right :lol: )

But my issue with him is exactly that - his unkind words towards those who believe in rebirth. How can suggesting to new Buddhists that they are immediately to consider themselves members of warring camps be considered kind? Or that if they believe in rebirth, they are unmodern and uneducated, sure to be left in the dust of the modern, level-headed scientific Buddhist camp? None of that constitutes basic kindness or fosters an atmosphere of tolerance. I believe everyone here who says he is kind in person, I really do. Is it that he intends his writings for one audience, and his in-person teachings for another? In person, is it the case that he does not refer to camps and fault lines and the ignorance of people such as myself (a modern Buddhist who believes in rebirth), and if so, why the discrepancy?

I know people can communicate very differently in different settings - print, interview, intimate classroom, dharma teaching - yet it seems to me the concept of "Buddhists at war" would have to be somewhat at the forefront of his thinking for it to come up regularly in his writings and interviews. If it is the case that it doesn't come up in person, why emphasize it in writing, but de-emphasize it in person?
    I was just speaking generally. I really know nothing about this guy.

But I have seen a difference between the writings of teachers and the way they speak before. I think the real problem in some cases is that tone can be difficult to comprehend through writing because so much of our communication is non verbal. If the guy was speaking the words in his book perhaps they would seem more gentle.

Like I said though, this is a general comment, I don't know Bachelor at all.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Songhill said:

Cinorjer:

What Buddhist commune did you come from my good friend? Is it in California? Will taking off our clothes and shoes help? Will we need a drool bucket while we sit naked on a zafu, made of organic fibers, blissfully sensing the silence between our thoughts?

Shame on you.
    TheEccentric
This discussion has been closed.