Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

ToE a blow to the idea of god?

If natural selection can explain life and its evolution, why introduce god or any other factor?

Comments

• Natural selection and science can only explain our world. It hasnt a clue on the other realms.
    Remember 2500 years ago, the Buddha was already talking about other worlds, the universe etc. Also natural selection and evolution can be explained by dependant origination.
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    music said:

If natural selection can explain life and its evolution, why introduce god or any other factor?

Because people have been taught by their parents and culture to believe in - and need - nonsense.

Um... plus god or other factors do offer easy explanations to things we don't understand, and things we feel deep within us. A God of the Gaps.
  • Always are amazing for me to see "the credulity of incredulity", believing that all the creation is an automatic process without programmer. Such an automatism, immense, perfect (for it obeys mathematical laws), seems to me impossible to produce spontaneously! 8-| On the other hand, science not contradict God existence, it can't. There are great scientists that believe in God, others that don't, and others than shrug their shoulders: no idea about it.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    music said:

I guess it depends on what one means by "God".

What is it that "selects" exactly?

• Natural selection is not a theory of everything. It is theory of how species differentiate and evolve. There is a lot left over to explain. For example, it does not solve the problem of consiousness, which which would be a minimum condition for a ToE. It would not explain the origin of life and has nothing at all to say about God. The whole of the natural sciences have nothing to say about God other than to limit the claims we can make for Him. For an argument for or against God we would have to adventure into metaphysics and theology.

BhanteLucky
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Florian has got it exactly.

Now we should stop with all these science vs religion debates ... of which there seem to be many recently... and get to work with the tools we have.
    The Eight-fold path.
    lobsterFullCirclemfranzdorf
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    music said:

The idea of God was there before the Theory of evolution so I think the wording of your initial question is a little off as it was natural selection that was introduced to God. Its still around partly because it was there first.

• Now we should stop with all these science vs religion debates

No one is forcing you to debate anything. And it's none of your business what others choose to discuss.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    It confounds me why anyone who can speak solemnly of "meaning" and "explanation" would be in the least surprised by one more "meaning" or "explanation" ... this one entitled "God."
  • We are ignorant thus we
    Project duality. Since there is a self there has to be an other.

God is just a big other. We are all born theists. We all believe in some kind of other or some kind of objectivity. Even our doubt is a reaction which in turns solidifies the external. All our little theories on how this world works is just more fuel for the dualistic view that we project onto this world.

This isn't to say there is no god but rather god is arisen due to our ignorance.
    But forget the god concept and let's work with something more concrete say like our friends or parents.

To us they seem so real, so solid, so fixed. These aren't even ideas we hold but rather we feel this in our bones, in our basic sense of intuition of this world. Of course they're real,
    Solid, etc.

See this is the same duality proposing god and self. The same bond we are projecting, interpreting and living with.

This solidity we give things is the cause to all our suffering.

We are completely ignorant of this. And for the most part I don't see
    Many people breaking through to see the voidness of all these reference points we project.

And in many cases it freaks people out. It's a hard pill to swallow. Intellectually it's a nice idea. Oh everything is unreal. But if one really sees it for a minute even for a second they can't handle it.

Oh and truly many people come to god as a social element.

We cling to all our little ideas until we're
    Fearless enough to drop all of it and to be authentic with our condition. And this condition is the god principal we are all seeking, except without the dualistic lense. No who, where, when, it, etc.
  • To be fair even this is a very dualistic view on Buddhism.

This whole world and its condition is the truth body of the buddha and each luminous arising is the magical display. Completely empty, yet completely vivid.

Science and God are not far apart. Both signify mystery and the unknown. Both different means to express and recognize the unknown.

Buddhism isn't about that though. It is about suffering and the end of suffering. Not about ontological stance on whether the TOE or if God is real/unreal, etc. Even if we understood everything and we recognized that God was real, would our condition change? Would our basic ignorance change? Can knowledge take away our basic sense of suffering/stress?

This isn't to dismiss these ideas, but rather we should all examine our motivation/intention for studying and practicing Buddhism. And to find God, to find the answers the universe are all valid but completely secondary because Buddhism deals with perception itself.

My long ass rant is finished.
    lobsterFullCirclemfranzdorf
  • Natural selection may explain life and evolution, but still far from "everything".
    vinlyn
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited November 2012
    music said:

This is a Buddhist board. No one's introducing god or any other factor. Buddhism is a discipline, not some supernatural "factor". This is more a question for a theist forum.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Florian has got it exactly.

Now we should stop with all these science vs religion debates ... of which there seem to be many recently... and get to work with the tools we have.
    The Eight-fold path.

I don't often find myself agreeing with Florian, but you're correct in my view -- here he got it exactly right.

Why you think that means there shouldn't be such discussions, however, I don't understand. And if you don't want to participate in them, then don't. There are lots of discussions here on the forum just I stay out of, sometimes because they don't interest me, other times because I am bored with the repetitiveness of them.

But, you do make a valid point that we have the tools to work with our lives, either with or without such debates.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2012
    music said:

There are many ideas about this.

Looking back at human history, both ideas about the origins of life have been present in some shape or form since at least the beginning of recorded history. In ancient Greece, for example, one can find philosophers who held what can be considered rudimentary theories of evolution. The same goes for Buddhism, e.g., when taken literally, the creation myth in DN 27 can be seen as an attempt to give a naturalistic explanation of the origins of life and the universe, and the Buddha gives what can easily be interpreted as a rough theory of evolution in that the physical characteristics of the mythological beings in question change due to environmental changes and interactions.

That said, many who study human history (particularly anthropologists) believe that the idea that an unseen being or beings created, controlled, and/or influenced the natural world came first, in the midst of our prehistorical evolution, and was a fairly sophisticated idea, stemming from early observations of the natural world for which early humans developed creative ways of explaining. Changes were observed, and many early humans hypothesized that invisible spirits were responsible for some of them, partially due to the perceived distinction between immaterial and material phenomena (e.g., mind and matter), and partially due to early humans conceiving themselves on more or less equal footing with other animals, plant life, and natural forces based upon early, animistic beliefs (e.g., see Ideas That Changed the World by Felipe Fernandez-Armesto).

I think that by taking a broader look at the history of ideas, it becomes a bit clearer how these kinds of ideas not only influenced the political, social, and cultural environments in which they arose (i.e., in the early days of human history and evolution), but how they have continued to influence much of our thinking in modern historical times as well, albeit in more sophisticated and innovative forms. Regardless of their objective validity, they're an integral part of our cultural, intellectual, political, and social history, and I think it's at least worth appreciating them from this point of view. Changes in our thinking take time to evolve, just like everything else.

As for whether the theory of evolution is a blow to the idea of God, it certainly makes the idea less necessary. The more we can explain from a naturalistic point of view, the less God is needed as an explanation. Moreover, Darwin's theory of evolution can be seen as an alternative to, and rejection of, Aristotle's implicitly teleological doctrine of form and actuality, which is the basis of certain theological arguments for God. However, due to the limits of what we can observe, the idea of God as a first cause (e.g., as the instigator of the big bang) and the architect of the natural laws of the universe, including evolution and natural selection, can't be entirely ruled out, which leaves room for these sorts of ideas to have a place in the broader discussion, though not as much in the laboratory.

Just my two cents.
  • ourself said:

What is it that "selects" exactly?

'Nature'. But nothing actually consciously 'chooses'. It's simply that any advantageous changes to a species tend to survive, whereas less advantageous traits tend to get bred out, or the species will become extinct. The tricky bit is that the entire environment is constantly changing, and hence so is the definition of 'advantageous'.
  • @jason, the point is, why would god be the architect of evolution when the latter seems to be such a trial and error process? With his super intelligence, surely god could have created a world where we don't have to eat each other to survive?
    music said:

@jason, the point is, why would god be the architect of evolution when the latter seems to be such a trial and error process? With his super intelligence, surely god could have created a world where we don't have to eat each other to survive?

Why didn't I as principal direct everything, give teachers no freedom as to what to teach or how to teach it? I could have directed everyone and gotten much better state test scores.

• music said:

With his super intelligence, surely god could have created a world where we don't have to eat each other to survive?

And in that world there would be yet more things to be dissatisfied with...
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    music said:

@jason, the point is, why would god be the architect of evolution when the latter seems to be such a trial and error process? With his super intelligence, surely god could have created a world where we don't have to eat each other to survive?

That's not the question you asked. As for the answer to this particular question, there are many answers posited by those who hold such beliefs. For example, @vinlyn has given you one derived from the free-will argument (i.e., natural laws and constants being established and then allowed to play themselves out, just as humans are born with free will and allowed to make their own choices); but it'd probably be better to seek out a forum dedicated to explicitly theistic discussions for more informative answers since many here are more or less non-theistic and don't worry about such things.
  • Julian Huxley:
    Natural selection, in fact, though like the mills of God in grinding slowly and grinding small, has few other attributes that a civilized religion would call divine. . . . Its products are just as likely to be aesthetically, morally, or intellectually repulsive to us as they are to be attractive. We need only think of the ugliness of Sacculina or a bladder-worm, the stupidity of a rhinoceros or a stegosaur, the horror of a female mantis devouring its mate or a brood of ichneumon flies slowly eating out a caterpillar.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited November 2012
    music said:

Because natural selection only explains hows, not whys. :)
    seeker242 said:

music said:

Because natural selection only explains hows, not whys. :)
    That's a very good point.

• Because the beings have the karma to be in this world.
    music said:

• DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    edited November 2012
    music said:

Because Natural Selection isn't really a teaching, but rather an observation of what occurs in the world (evolution). It doesn't really "explain" life; just what happens when animals adapt to and from their environments.

Besides, who says that "God" didn't have anything to do with it? ;)
  • Dakini said:

music said:

This is a Buddhist board. No one's introducing god or any other factor. Buddhism is a discipline, not some supernatural "factor". This is more a question for a theist forum.

Skillfully stated :)