Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Police: 27 killed at Conn. school; 1 other dead

http://news.yahoo.com/police-27-killed-conn-school-1-other-dead-205242303.html

With all my heart and love I send my regards to all who are suffering in this horrible incident.
May one day all suffering come to an end. May (god), angels, enlightened beings, Buddha's bless and have compassion for the families. all of us on the path, Buddhists or otherwise, pray and send out our compassion and love as well.

May All beings be free from suffering.

Let us remember the divine messangers of children...may they all have a happy rebirth in the higher plans.

With Metta,

-Kashi
DaltheJigsawJohnG

Comments

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2012
    all beings in samsara suffer daily. give metta to all beings daily in your practice :).

because I know that all beings suffer across the universe at all times.. and many children die daily for many different reasons.. knowing this and being aware of death on a regular basis as the Buddha urges us, this one incident does not surprise or shock me.. but if you do not think about death unless it smacks you in the face.. then emotions and shock come.
    Jeffrey
  • Jayantha said:

all beings in samsara suffer daily. give metta to all beings daily in your practice :).

because I know that all beings suffer across the universe at all times.. and many children die daily for many different reasons.. knowing this and being aware of death on a regular basis as the Buddha urges us, this one incident does not surprise or shock me.. but if you do not think about death unless it smacks you in the face.. then emotions and shock come.

Though I do not disagree I am not shocked nor am I blind to the fact that death happens everyday...but at the same time were talking about the worst killing of CHILDREN in american history ages 5 to 10 man....I think a little sympathy for this one incident is in order without the whole "everyone is in samsara" speech.

MaryAnnecarolann
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    This made me cry internally. :( I am speechless. I ask that all beings are free from the SUFFERING IN THIS SAMSARA!!!
    mfranzdorf
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I felt very fortunate to be able to sit in front of the TV as the school story unfolded and just cry. The news business I was a part of before I retired was racing around on the TV screen trying to tell "the story" and the more they raced, the dumber it all seemed to get. Understandable, sure, but also dumb as a box of rocks.

When death is a gob-stopper, what is the matter with silence ... or, for me, luckily, tears?
    Jeffreylamaramadingdong
  • 101 views and 4 comments....wow. I might have misjudged this site.
  • kashi said:

101 views and 4 comments....wow. I might have misjudged this site.

What are you hoping for?
  • robot said:

kashi said:

What are you hoping for?
    Not hoping for anything. I just find it to be a lack of caring when more people are leaving comments on much less important things. Granted nobody is obligated to leave any comments....but....this is a forum where thats the whole idea.
    It shows people do not care enough to say anything about more important issues but will comment all over topics like "Should a buddhist give up cake?" or something stupid to that effect.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited December 2012
    kashi said:

robot said:

kashi said:

What are you hoping for?
    Not hoping for anything. I just find it to be a lack of caring when more people are leaving comments on much less important things. Granted nobody is obligated to leave any comments....but....this is a forum where thats the whole idea.
    It shows people do not care enough to say anything about more important issues but will comment all over topics like "Should a buddhist give up cake?" or something stupid to that effect.

Really, what is there to say that has not been said many times by all of us, often in a more intimate, meaningful setting.
    Unless of course this is the first incident of this type that someone has knowledge of due to young age. In which case the unanswerable questions may need to be hashed through.
    I was, (is gratified the right word), I'll say moved, to see President Obama in tears during his press conference this morning. My feelings are my own.
  • edited December 2012
    I think the main reason is because someone else started a thread on the exact same topic nearly immediately after it hit the news, not that people don't care. The whole nation was shook up by it.
    kashi said:

• CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited December 2012
    kashi said:

No, it's wonderful. Sometimes the feelings are too deep, too powerful to express and words aren't enough. What do we, as Buddhists, need to say about such a tragic event? Nothing. All we can do is grieve along with everyone else.

It's been noticed that download of this one song in several versions has exploded on youtube since the shooting. People everywhere reach out.

NiwalenDaltheJigsaw
  • I felt a shock, and a chill, and despair when I heard the news. I trembled a bit for a few minutes with the shock of it.

Then this afternoon someone referred me to a webpage which showed that 7.6 million children under the age of 5 die every year in the developing world.
    That's 21,000 children who die every day from hunger, illness, and other poverty-related causes.
    That's twenty-one thousand. Each day.
    That's the same as the Sandy Hook massacre every two minutes.

It made me wonder why I reacted so much when I heard the news about the most recent school massacre. Is it because they were white? Or maybe because they are people I can identify with, whereas kids in Africa are pretty alien to me. Or maybe I am a bit racist underneath. Or maybe because it's kinda expected for them to starve to death, or die of dysentery... whereas in the USA young kids being shot is unusual.
    Or maybe because it was a violent death. But then, starvation is a way worse death than being shot.

I dunno.
    It's all horrible, regardless.

I'll give some metta and do a dedication to them when I sit tonight, it might help I guess.

Holy shit guy...really?.....

First of all I already said above I know things like this happen. But your big deal, shit happens like attitude your basically saying why did I even post this cuz death happens everyday. I hope you never watch the news again or read anything for the rest of your life in the newspapers....maybe the news should just go fuck themselves and not cover a g-damn thing ever again.....Or maybe only go to africa and talk about all the starving children.

Im really referring to your comment "But then, starvation is a way worse death than being shot." And "I guess"...

Idk why you even bothered.
  • Cinorjer said:

kashi said:

No, it's wonderful. Sometimes the feelings are too deep, too powerful to express and words aren't enough. What do we, as Buddhists, need to say about such a tragic event? Nothing. All we can do is grieve along with everyone else.

It's been noticed that download of this one song in several versions has exploded on youtube since the shooting. People everywhere reach out.

Very powerful song. Simple beauty.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    kashi said:

kashi said:

robot said:

kashi said:

What are you hoping for?
    There is very little you can say to something like this. :(
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I think expecting that everyone wants to share their feelings on this, is a bit much. Plus, there is another thread related to the topic where many people have already shared their feelings and don't want to type it out twice. Of course it is sad. Of course we are praying and meditating and sending our love. What more is there to say?

As far as the shooting versus starving children...I don't think you can compare the 2. I think about the children of poverty, war, starvation often. Pretty much daily. I try to help in what small ways I can. I care about them and I have much compassion for them. But when my dad called me and told me what had happened yesterday, I turned on the news, and I sat down and I cried. Because our minds cannot fathom someone going into a classroom full of babies and killing them. Does that make their deaths more valuable or more worthy somehow than those babies who starve every day? Of course not. But it was a new low in American mass murder, and a place where up until now, little ones were safe, because no 5 year old has done anything to hurt anyone.

Just because horrible things (I don't think you can quantify horrible. A child's life is a child's life) happen everywhere doesn't mean the things that are closer to home, so to speak, won't impact you more. If you lose your job today, you are going to worry, be stressed, be upset, and it very well might be the worst thing that happens to you in a year. It's good to keep things in perspective, but just because other people have it worse doesn't mean the immediate problem affecting you isn't important, too.
    MaryAnne
  • @Kashi, honestly, your reaction to JamesTheGiant is shocking to me. I suggest that you read his post again, more carefully, because he nowhere plays down the tragedy of the shooting in any way.
    BhikkhuJayasara
  • To add, I sympathize with the sorrow that you feel over this event, I understand that it has upset you deeply, it is a very human reaction.
    BhikkhuJayasara
  • edited December 2012
    Perhaps I was a bit harsh Giant...Forgive me. *bow*
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    It's not that we, as Buddhists, are not deeply moved by this killing in Connecticut. It is that we live, every day, in full awareness of all the suffering that goes on in the world. Not just the suffering of the victims, but also the suffering of those who make victims out of others ... those who are at peace within do not go and shoot children. And all of this is indeed the 1st of the Four Noble Truths. Suffering is inevitable ... we cannot close down into denial over the reality of our suffering and the suffering of all other sentient beings. Not just humans, but even the animals suffer too. The path of Buddhism is (as Pema Chodron put it) a path that is bittersweet, like unrequited love .. as our awareness increases we experience not only more joy but also more sorrow. Use your sorrow for the suffering of others to generate and increase your compassion.
    kashiDairyLamaoctinomos
    I also want to point out that just because people are commenting, or commenting more, on other threads doesn't make what happened less important. Keeping a sense of normalcy, and seeking it, is an important part of moving forward. For us, and for those who were directly impacted. Knowing that in most areas, life is still moving on, things are still the same and things are still ok is just part of our human psychological needs. Immersing yourself in such tragedy serves no one well.
    FoibleFull
  • Sometimes there are no words. I didn't even know HOW to pray for all those people. What do you say? What do you pray for? What do you ask god to give those people, because how would it ever be enough? Love, peace, metta, none of it seemed like enough. I'm still part Christian, and all I could think was that Jesus taught us how to pray with the Lord's prayer and that was the best that I could do. Because I had no words. Nothing that I could come up with seemed like enough. How could it be?

The lack of words on this thread means nothing. It doesn't mean we don't care or aren't affected. It just means that sometimes there is nothing you can say.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    In reply to RebeccaS, you practice Tonglen .. meditate on visualizing that you take in the suffering of others and in turn send them them love, joy, and peace.
    Tonglen does help. Prayer or other such practices are not there to make us feel better, IMO, though they often have that effect. I don't believe in God, but I do believe we all share connected energy. We all come from the same things, and as a result we are all connected, and we can direct our shared energy to other people in their time of need. Tonglen is a terrific practice. Lately my meditation time has gone up heavily because of how much Tonglen I am doing. You can concentrate it on a person you know, a person you don't know, and expand it to eventually include the whole planet. It's a powerful practice.

That is why when such things happen, you often here so many phrases of "these were all of our children. We all stand with you today." Of course on the outside we do not know the grief of these families and this community. But we really are all one.
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    kashi said:

Perhaps I was a bit harsh Giant...Forgive me. *bow*

I apologise too, I could have put it better.
  • In reply to RebeccaS, you practice Tonglen .. meditate on visualizing that you take in the suffering of others and in turn send them them love, joy, and peace.

I tried that, but when I imagined the pain of those people my heart just broke. Then I realized that only something much bigger than me could possibly have anything to offer and I had to submit to that. I had to let go of any idea of what I thought would work or be good enough, because it wouldn't be. Maybe it doesn't make much sense, but it was quite profound - something along the lines of "let go and let God".
    Not trying to convince you otherwise, @RebeccaS, just sharing what I think. Whatever works for you is what is important. To me, any type of "God essence" is what interconnects us all. Like I said I don't believe in a higher power, but I believe there is power within us, within all of us, and that we can access it and use it to help each other. While for you, the practice I do creates different feelings and maybe anxiety or something else in you, for me it gives me comfort in feeling like I'm doing something. For you, letting go and letting God is what makes you feel that way. While when I think of doing that, it feels like handing over my ability to help to someone "better" than me, and I never thought of God that way. Just an interesting difference and observation, neither is right or wrong as long as it works for us. I think any types of good thoughts, feelings, etc sent their way will help, and no matter how you do that, that is what we are all doing, I think.
  • Jayantha said:

@Kashi your reaction and emotions are very common. It is good you apologized but do not feel any further guilt over it :).

This is why I tend to not speak much during these types of situations with anyone but a buddhist because if you bring up that thousands of kids die every day it gets people angry... why? attachment of course :)

we naturally have less attachment to people who are not part of our culture, country etc.. all the levels of attachment. So when we hear about Obama drone striking children , or children otherwise suffering halfway across the planet we feel sad.. but when children die in what some would consider a senseless way here in america, "where this isn't supposed to happen".. in a sleepy little town " where this isn't supposed to happen.. at a school " where this isn't supposed to happen" with young children " who this isn't supposed to happen to".

all of these levels of attachment add on to each other to create stronger and stronger emotional reactions.

Yes...as a buddhist I want to say "no attachment, no suffering" and as a person who still has levels of normal human emotion, and dellusion, I can't help but let my emotions be in control from time to time. Even though the buddhas wisdom is so very correct. It is a difficult thing.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    I have been exposed to much nastier death.

I cried yesterday and today....not for the
    death of the children, but for the suffering
    they endured. I immediatly went to thoughts
    of how I could have comforted them in their
    last moments. Held them. Sang to them.
    Trying to calm anyone I could have.
    *tears hiting my 'puter*

I know I cant die with them...
    but it is my belief, we all are attached to the idea
    of not going it off alone. Im not brave enough yet
    to say I want to die alone. Without comfort.

For the rest of my living days.....May I
    be a lamp of love and comfort to all who
    need it. Including myself.
    kashi said:

Jayantha said:

@Kashi your reaction and emotions are very common. It is good you apologized but do not feel any further guilt over it :).

This is why I tend to not speak much during these types of situations with anyone but a buddhist because if you bring up that thousands of kids die every day it gets people angry... why? attachment of course :)

we naturally have less attachment to people who are not part of our culture, country etc.. all the levels of attachment. So when we hear about Obama drone striking children , or children otherwise suffering halfway across the planet we feel sad.. but when children die in what some would consider a senseless way here in america, "where this isn't supposed to happen".. in a sleepy little town " where this isn't supposed to happen.. at a school " where this isn't supposed to happen" with young children " who this isn't supposed to happen to".

all of these levels of attachment add on to each other to create stronger and stronger emotional reactions.

Yes...as a buddhist I want to say "no attachment, no suffering" and as a person who still has levels of normal human emotion, and dellusion, I can't help but let my emotions be in control from time to time. Even though the buddhas wisdom is so very correct. It is a difficult thing.
    this is why it has to be known at an experiential level , as opposed to an intellectual.. and we gain that wisdom on an experiential level through our practice gradually.

This is how we know the eradication of ignorance means direct knowing of the four noble truths.. the buddha said that he did not claim to be enlightened until he saw the 4NT.

and don't worry about " I can't help"... we all can't let go fully... not until we gain insight and direct understanding as the Buddha did.. until then we are all stuck in our greed, hatred, and delusion , but even so that does not mean the buddha would not not have compassion for the beings who died yesterday, but enlightened beings see beyond what we see to the core of things, you can have compassion and equanimity(a mind without like and dislike.. or without greed, hatred, and delusion) for all beings and their great sufferings, this is why the Buddha wanted to find a way out in the first place.

• when will americans realize that having many guns
    is bad for your well-being.
    US is probably the only country in the world where you
    can go to a shop and buy a sub-machine gun legally.
    kashi said:

http://news.yahoo.com/police-27-killed-conn-school-1-other-dead-205242303.html

With all my heart and love I send my regards to all who are suffering in this horrible incident.
    May one day all suffering come to an end. May (god), angels, enlightened beings, Buddha's bless and have compassion for the families. all of us on the path, Buddhists or otherwise, pray and send out our compassion and love as well.

May All beings be free from suffering.

Let us remember the divine messangers of children...may they all have a happy rebirth in the higher plans.

With Metta,

-Kashi

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Be calm, people; Compassion doesn't necessarily have a language. To become angry with one another for harsh words, is still to be angered by circumstances where something offends our spirit.

There are massively varying degrees of Anger, offence and indignation. But if we show our anger - to one another, here, of all places - we expose the same weakness, fear and Anger displayed, in far greater measure, by the very people we condemn for their horrific actions.... It is what I believe is known as a form of 'degrees of separation'....

let us not 'be like them' - in whatever measure.

JohnG
    edited December 2012
    hermitwin said:

when will americans realize that having many guns

the mindset that blames inanimate objects for the actions of people is the same that thinks that other people or things control your happiness.. this is most of our mindsets in this day and age.. and it just doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

an object is not inherently bad or good, only the action attached to how it's used.
    sndymornRebeccaS
  • Jayantha said:

hermitwin said:

the mindset that blames inanimate objects for the actions of people is the same that thinks that other people or things control your happiness.. this is most of our mindsets in this day and age.. and it just doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

an object is not inherently bad or good, only the action attached to how it's used.
    At the same time there is no logical reason whatsoever that 1 single gun should have ever been made. Guns don't kill people do.....I have that mindset because its the truth of the thing...however, as stated above......at the same time.....etc.
    edited December 2012
    kashi said:

Jayantha said:

hermitwin said:

At the same time there is no logical reason whatsoever that 1 single gun should have ever been made. Guns don't kill people do.....I have that mindset because its the truth of the thing...however, as stated above......at the same time.....etc.
    there is plenty logical reason for guns to exist.. people fear for the safety of themselves and their family so they wish to have means to protect themselves. That sounds logical to me.. whether it fits with the way of dhamma is something very different.

human beings are tool makers.. that is how we survived as a species up to this point.. if we did not make tools to hunt, to defend our clans, to cultivate the land.. we wouldn't even be here to be able to practice dhamma. a gun is one of those many tools humanity has used to get to this point. Thousands of people use guns to defend themselves successfully each year.

I am an interesting example of a crossroads.. I own guns. at one point I liked to shoot guns, actually I still do but ammo is expensive now, its fun target shooting. I was never a hunter, I've never shot any living being and I have attempted to keep even little bugs alive nearly since childhood. I was also big on defending my family etc etc. Now a days as I advance in my practice I often think of the situation, if people come into my home with guns, how do I react? 5 years ago I would of said I'll grab my gun and defend my family... today i'm not so sure as I know hatred never appeases hatred.. but am I willing to put my own life, and the lives of my family on the line for that? do I act only in metta and peace, and if a family member dies I say " well we all come to death kay sera sera".. an interesting conundrum to ponder is it not ?

I'm willing to give my life for peace, and give metta at the risk of my own life.. but I'm not so sure I'm willing to allow others to get hurt for the same reason.. it's something that is still not 100% clear in my practice. I have total confidence in the term dhamma protects, and I believe also that metta protects, but for others I dunno. This is just one of the many aspects where fear and aversion come into our lives :).

remove the guns from the situation and replace it with swords.. or knives.. all just tools.. all the same situation for one who practices dhamma to examine.
    RebeccaSThaiLotus
    edited December 2012
    double post somehow
    edited December 2012
    It's a problem I think of, too. We do not have our guns to use on people, but would I defend my children if someone broke in? I would but I would make every possible attempt not to kill someone. I don't know if I could live with myself for it, knowing I killed someone elses "baby" protecting my own. But I would not be against injuring them or frightening them to the point I could hold them hostage waiting for the police. We had a scary situation last summer with a repeated person who would knock on our door and then yell things at us from the dark alley. We have a dog, which is actually a really good deterrent, but laying in bed thinking about what we'd do if the person got in the house and was armed? I don't know if it'd be as difficult a decision for me as I'd like it to be (though like I said, our guns would not be accessible, but I do have a bow that would be). Our biggest risk here is a drunk person walking into our house on accident if we forgot to lock a door. Almost happened last summer, too, lol. But that was probably the biggest risk they faced in Newtown until yesterday, too.

I think most of us believe we'd act a certain way...until we are faced with that situation. I do think a strong spiritual practice will help solidify our minds in our decisions to act though. I do value all human life. But the instinct to protect children and self is pretty strong, as well.
    BhikkhuJayasara
    karasti said:

It's a problem I think of, too. We do not have our guns to use on people, but would I defend my children if someone broke in? I would but I would make every possible attempt not to kill someone. I don't know if I could live with myself for it, knowing I killed someone elses "baby" protecting my own. But I would not be against injuring them or frightening them to the point I could hold them hostage waiting for the police. We had a scary situation last summer with a repeated person who would knock on our door and then yell things at us from the dark alley. We have a dog, which is actually a really good deterrent, but laying in bed thinking about what we'd do if the person got in the house and was armed? I don't know if it'd be as difficult a decision for me as I'd like it to be (though like I said, our guns would not be accessible, but I do have a bow that would be). Our biggest risk here is a drunk person walking into our house on accident if we forgot to lock a door. Almost happened last summer, too, lol. But that was probably the biggest risk they faced in Newtown until yesterday, too.

I think most of us believe we'd act a certain way...until we are faced with that situation. I do think a strong spiritual practice will help solidify our minds in our decisions to act though. I do value all human life. But the instinct to protect children and self is pretty strong, as well.

well said friend.. there is no easy answer, no black and white, to these situations.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2012
    kashi said:

Sorry you weren't getting the amount of comments you were expecting, @kashi. I didn't feel like contributing initially because I felt that many may not like what I have to say, and I didn't want turn this into some kind of political debate and/or upset anybody. But if you really want to know my thoughts about it, here they are:

There was a shooting an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut, today where at least twenty six people were killed, eighteen of them children. Just three days ago, a guy walked into one of our local malls and started shooting, killing two people and seriously injuring another before turning the gun on himself. It's pretty fucked up, especially considering the recent shootings at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin and a theatre in Colorado were only a few short months ago.

The way I see it, though, there's no easy solution. A combination of things like better funded and easily accessible mental healthcare, stricter gun control laws, and gun safety programs may help to reduce incidents like this, but they'll never be able to completely stop them. Part of this is because the roots of much of this kind of violence within society goes much, much deeper than crazy people or prevalence of guns, and they won't be uprooted until we take a long, hard look at the society of fear and violence we've created, or that we've allowed to be created for us—a society where things like a basic guaranteed income and universal healthcare (including better funding of, and easier access to, mental healthcare) are fought against tooth and nail, and starting wars and dropping bombs seems as easy as buying a gun at Walmart.

As a friend of mine put it on Facebook in response to the news, "No amount of gun control will do anything but make the problem worse until we change the culture. The United States has been in a perpetual state of violent war, both domestic and abroad, since it was founded." Which reminded me of something Martin Luther King, Jr. said in a speech he gave in 1967, called "Beyond Vietnam," that seems as relevant today as it did then:

My third reason [for speaking out against the Vietnam War] moves to an even deeper level of awareness, for it grows out of my experience in the ghettoes of the North over the last three years -- especially the last three summers. As I have walked among the desperate, rejected, and angry young men, I have told them that Molotov cocktails and rifles would not solve their problems. I have tried to offer them my deepest compassion while maintaining my conviction that social change comes most meaningfully through nonviolent action. But they ask -- and rightly so -- what about Vietnam? They ask if our own nation wasn't using massive doses of violence to solve its problems, to bring about the changes it wanted. Their questions hit home, and I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today -- my own government. For the sake of those boys, for the sake of this government, for the sake of the hundreds of thousands trembling under our violence, I cannot be silent.
    As well as a similar, and perhaps even more directly relevant, line from a eulogy he gave in 1963 for four young girls who were killed when members of the Ku Klux Klan bombed the Sixteenth Street Baptist Church in Birmingham, Alabama:

They say to us that we must be concerned not merely about who murdered them, but about the system, the way of life, the philosophy which produced the murderers. Their death says to us that we must work passionately and unrelentingly for the realization of the American dream.
    Unfortunately, in the grand scheme of things, these deaths are just a drop in the bucket. According to the US Census Bureau, approximately 150,000 people, including children, die every day all over the world for a variety of reasons, from wars, accidents, and random acts of violence by poor, opportunistic, sadistic, or mental unstable and distraught individuals, to more easily preventable things like starvation, lack of clean drinking water and access to basic healthcare. In essence, it's partially a structural problem, and that aspect is something that'll take a long time to work out, especially when taking a broader look at human progress and seeing the cycle of revolutionary and reactionary ways we change and deal with the dialectical processes of history. The more consciously we do this, and the less reactionary we are in the process, however, the better and quicker I think our evolution towards a more cohesive and peaceful society will be.

It's sad that this happened, and I really hate hearing about things like this. So I'll continue to support things like universal healthcare in the short term, and fight for a healthier and less volatile society via progressive socio-economic changes in the long term. Beyond that, though, I don't know what else I can do. And yes, I'm politicizing this issue because the way I see it, it is a political issue.
    zenffBhanteLuckymusic
    Agree with you, Jason.
    Don't forget to that the football player killed his baby's momma and himself, orphaning his child at 3 months old over a paternity fight just within the last 2 weeks, too. A cop and father of 4 was ambushed and killed in MN 2 weeks ago-cop was answering a call to check on the welfare of a person and was killed when he answered the call.

I was just talking with another friend how deeply embedded in our culture guns and violence are, and I don't think there is any simple answer. I do think that every one of us has an ability to change the shift in our culture.
  • Guns were made out of fear and or aggression toward other beings. If you look at it from the Dhamma then sorry, there is no logical reason for this. Why? fear and anger are not logical.
    The Buddha himself said that even if one is to be caught by bandits and they were to saw off your limbs, if on that occasion you were to become angry then you are not practicing the Dhamma.

With that said, here comes the normal mindset of a reg worldly person....I would want to defend any member of my family by any means if their life was at stake....But the ultimate reality is, guns should not be in the world. Agree or not, thats where I stand.
    I think if we could zap all guns gone from the planet, it would work just fine. It becomes a problem of who has them, and who does not. Just like on a larger scale with nuclear weapons. We feel justified in having them because *we* are responsible and trustworthy. We feel fine in telling someone else they cannot have them, and we feel free to use them on others if we really felt the need to. No one is going to be the first to lay down their guns-both groups basically out of fear of the other group but for very different reasons.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    @Kashi, I have been told that Buddhists should not focus on God because we cannot confirm God's existence.

In the same mindset, I would say why focus on what you have said since we cannot change to there not being guns. Guns are here. They are reality. It seems to me that we should focus on how we can improve the situation.

And, BTW, I very much disagree with President Obama's press secretary, who yesterday said now is the not the time to discuss the issue. As one Congresswoman said yesterday, "He's right. We should have been discussing it for years" (paraphrase). Now, when we are most horrified is exactly when we should be discussing the issue, as we are here.
  • vinlyn said:

@Kashi, I have been told that Buddhists should not focus on God because we cannot confirm God's existence.

In the same mindset, I would say why focus on what you have said since we cannot change to there not being guns. Guns are here. They are reality. It seems to me that we should focus on how we can improve the situation.

And, BTW, I very much disagree with President Obama's press secretary, who yesterday said now is the not the time to discuss the issue. As one Congresswoman said yesterday, "He's right. We should have been discussing it for years" (paraphrase). Now, when we are most horrified is exactly when we should be discussing the issue, as we are here.

Im not sure where I am focusing on God....if anything it was in my OP but in brackets (god) for those who may not be Buddhists.

• kashi said:

This bothers me. I wasn't going to comment save for that...

What can possibly be said? It's all over the news, it's all over facebook, people are talking about it everywhere... I'm pretty sure the majority of the US has heard about this event by now and as a result, has probably discussed their feelings on the topic with at least one person. I, personally, have already cried twice because the whole thing is so upsetting. We could all echo the same thoughts of how horrible it is, how sad it is, metta... but after a while it sounds disingenuous. Do we have to make a public display of our emotions in order to be considered well adjusted individuals? Is it wrong to process in private? Silence does not mean apathy.

I think we need a careful balance of being aware of the horrors of the world yet not deluging ourselves in them. RE: violent video games, my grandmother once said to me, "Why do you want to put all of that violent stuff in your head?" Sometimes I feel like these horrors are the same. The more I get sucked in, the less I want to trust people... the less I see the good in the world... the more angry I get. It's like sometimes I watch a movie that is so horrible and so sad and so disturbing, I wish I never saw it in the first place because of the effect it had on me. Obviously, when something like this happens, I want to be aware...but I don't want to become obsessed. I just don't want to carry this around in my head all day.

I have the utmost compassion for the victims, but I'm trying not to let this sort of stuff ruin my perspective of the world. It's too easy to focus on the bad and forget about the good.
    I understand what your saying...then why even click on this post to start with?

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    kashi said:

vinlyn said:

Im not sure where I am focusing on God....if anything it was in my OP but in brackets (god) for those who may not be Buddhists.

You misunderstand. I am drawing an analogy. Why should we worry about things we cannot do anything about. And, we cannot eliminate guns from the world. It will never happen. We can control them to some extent.

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    @kashi Fair question! I suppose to see if the Buddhist board had any different wisdom to offer. I'm not really sure, to be honest. I was just crying because I saw this photo on fb attached with a story of a teacher who hid her kids in the closets and cupboards, while waiting for the shooter to tell him that she evacuated her kids to the gym. She was killed, but saved their lives. Maybe I was hoping for something more positive to take me out of the funk I'm feeling right now after reading all that.

It's just all so sad and I am obviously feeling a little emotional at the moment, so that's where I was at when I wrote that. Hope this explains.
  • @zombiegirl ...well I think that there is a lot of wisdom here despite how upset I am about the whole situation. Ive been a practicing Buddhist for a number of years and only learning more and more...But at times, such as this, my compassion toward beings esp children and animals gets the best of me and turns to anger, and maybe some confusion.

But considering this is still first and foremost a forum on and about buddhism I still keep in mind the 4nt's and 8fp. The fact that people are going to suffer and this is nothing new is still a problem. Why? attachment and delusion and all the things keeping us from waking up. If the Buddha were alive today and speaking to us directly, as in face to face Im positive he would say the same things he did 2 and half thousand years ago.

So Im on the fence right now...ppl keep saying "x many people die everyday due to violence"...etc...but Im getting to the point where Im sick of this world and all the bullshit in it.

So in a way, and yeah its not realistic but I keep thinking "when will it stop? can we not just all live in peace and kindness?

No.....No its just not possible.