Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What meditation is not

edited December 2012 in General Banter
Meditation is not a stress reduction or anger management course.
It is not about experiencing something beautiful or sublime.
Neither is meditation about saving oneself from pain.

Mediation is about bringing out all the subconscious impressions (Hindus call it vasana) gathered over many, many births. And this mostly involves pain, anxiety, boredom, and all that's negative. When we sit down and do nothing, the mind doesn't stop; it keeps going even if we want it to stop. This is because the 'impressions' gathered over many lifetimes are coming to the surface - it is not going to be a pleasant experience.

But the good news is, by meditating over and over these impressions will come to the surface and vanish. So regular meditation helps, just as exercise helps since in both cases it is a gradual process. In short, mediation is all about eliminating impressions, without which liberation is impossible. But eliminating them would entail being patient and allowing them to come to the surface - and this is very tiresome, sometimes even painful.

In conclusion, meditation is done for one purpose and one purpose alone - to liberate oneself by destroying impressions gathered over many births. It is an active work, not something passive. Nor does it revolve around experiencing this or that state, developing this or that skill, and so on. These things may happen, but they are incidental.
JeffreyVastmindsean

Comments

• Who are you quoting music ?
    BhanteLucky
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Folks use meditation for many reasons. Telling them what it is not, denies the truth of their experience and might also be a description of what meditation is not. (Evangelical Zeal)

I see your post as really more about what Buddhist meditation can be, for a willing participant.
    Wisdom23lobstersean
  • Yes and No. Meditation i believe should not be defined before it has been experienced and each time will obv will be different. Each time i sit down to meditate it may bring about different things. If this is what you have experienced from your meditation then coolioes lol i have has simular experiences too but if you are predetermening what you will get out of this then you might miss out on some of the wonderful benefits that come with it because you already know what is gonna happen.

All the best dude have a tip top new year
    sean
  • Citta said:

Who are you quoting music ?

The Buddha, who else?
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    but just sitting meditating only will not cause ending of defilements. all three - sila(morality), samadhi(concentration) and panna(wisdom) needs to be developed. each supports the other two. when all three together reach their peak, then the ignorance may be removed with wisdom.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    music said:

Citta said:

The Buddha, who else?
    I rarely ask for a sutta reference, but I will this time.

• vinlyn said:

music said:

Citta said:

The Buddha, who else?
    I rarely ask for a sutta reference, but I will this time.

Heart Sutra.
    sean
    There's an ocean of knowledge between your OP and the Heart Sutra. As they say, don't quite your day job!
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2012
    No. The heart sutra says no attainment. Since there is no attainment there is no deception and the bodhisattva abides by the prajnaparamita.

http://www.lamrim.com/hhdl/heartsutra.html

Non-attainment cuts through all of the subconscious impressions because we are not bound by any of them. This bridges to @music 's analysis actually because realization of non-attainment points out that we don't have to remove or alter our subconscious. The cittas and dharmas (things) are not really us and we begin to focus on our actual mind rather than the face of the karmic world which appears around it.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited December 2012
    I thought Musics original post showed genuine insight and integrity . . . and summation. People use meditation for lesser ends but that leads into more possibilities . . . we all start from where we are . . .
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited December 2012
    I got what the OP was saying...just explain
    this to me....
    Wouldn't destroying the impressions need the
    incidental things, experiencing, and developing
    right?
    If not, what is the 'active work' part?
    Here's the problem with the OP.

First, Buddhists don't own meditation. Other people than Buddhists sometimes meditate.

Second, many people meditate for stress reduction or anger management, or saving themselves from pain.
    MaryAnne
  • This is what I love about the teaching of the Buddha for us all to be our own lights. :) We can take things (within reason) that work for us, and leave other things that do not work for later. That's why we have Sangha to help us when we start getting a little too off-track. Buddhism is big enough to accomodate all the above mentioned reasons for practicing and then some. It's better for someone to be practicing, even with some delusions then to get too much info too fast and fall away from the path.

I think that with the advant of the internet, it's almost like we have the ''answers'' from the back of the text book, but we haven't spent the time and effort to be able to understand where these ''answers'' come from.
    sean

I think that with the advant of the internet, it's almost like we have the ''answers'' from the back of the text book, but we haven't spent the time and effort to be able to understand where these ''answers'' come from.

What an interesting way to look at it!

:)
    Citta
  • Other people than Buddhists sometimes meditate.
    Indeed and practice generosity, service, kindness, artisanship and a host of developments that relieve suffering. One day we will be independent of the Buddhist path and enter the path of greater humanity. First we have an ox to catch
  • Knowing answers is prajna. That should be balanced by sradda which means bringing your prajna realization into the world and your life.
    Citta
  • As far as I understand it, meditation is none of that, meditation is bare naked awareness of everything around you, your thoughts, the random sights, sounds, smells and sensations that arise during meditation are to be experienced and then released from your perception as immediately as they showed up, allowed to rise and fall as your breath does. It is not about clearing anything away, for to want to clear anything away is a judgment of it, and will only further your grasping. To allow your thoughts, but not interact with them or judge them, to hear a bird sing or a car drive by without labeling them as such, just really experience that sound without any further examination as to it's source or meaning or what people label have chosen to label those things as. Remain in the moment with nothing else. If thoughts pop up, experience them, and let them fade. The masters say that the nature of mind is that of the clear sky, while clouds and storms and dust may pass through it, the sky behind pays no attention and in itself remains un-changed and un-agitated by it's contents. We are simply to allow all things without entaglement
    DavidJeffreysean
  • I tend to agree that the OP should either give a reference or mention that this is his own experience/opinion/interpretation. What is said may be true but this is not really the point. Buddhakai begins 'As I understand it...', which solves the entire problem.
  • lobster said:

Other people than Buddhists sometimes meditate.
    Indeed and practice generosity, service, kindness, artisanship and a host of developments that relieve suffering. One day we will be independent of the Buddhist path and enter the path of greater humanity. First we have an ox to catch

But you frequently tell us that you have LEFT the Buddhist path...
    Just as you previously left the Path of Islam.
    So the ox remains where it is.
    The raft remains resolutely on THIS shore. Abandoned before it ever knew water.
    lobster
  • vinlyn said:

There's an ocean of knowledge between
    your OP and the Heart Sutra. As they say, don't quite your day job!

I suspect that the OP is nothing anything to do with the Heart Sutra.. I suspect is it not original either.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Citta said:

lobster said:

Other people than Buddhists sometimes meditate.
    But you frequently tell us that you have LEFT the Buddhist path...
    Just as you previously left the Path of Islam.
    So the ox remains where it is.
    The raft remains resolutely on THIS shore. Abandoned before it ever knew water.

And passive /aggressive smileys dont cut it.
  • Unless someone specifically quotes a passage or claims "Buddha said...", I always assume what they post is their own opinion or understanding. Personally, I don't see the need for a disclaimer. I know the old internet convention of putting "IMHO" after each post got really annoying and I'm glad it faded away.

Now, I agree meditation can have health benefits, also can relieve stress, and that isn't normally why Buddhists meditate. All those Buddha wanna-bes sitting in the Zazen hall are not there to experience altered states of consciousness, lower their blood pressure, etc. However, our Zen practice goes even further and says to even claim you're digging up and eliminating past impressions (whatever those are. Defilements?) is to go wrong. Meditation is an end to itself.

It's been something I chuckled over before about Zen, that the school that advertises itself as "meditation only" is the one that tries to minimize what meditation does. Some schools of Buddhism are really into cataloging and mapping types and effects and such of various altered states brought on by meditation. That's fine. Just not for me.

When I teach a meditation class or people ask me what I'm doing, I just reply, "Meditation is paying attention." I sit down and pay attention to what my mind is doing, and then to the immediate moment itself. Nothing fancy or special.

Citta
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    music said:

Mediation is about bringing out all the subconscious impressions (Hindus call it vasana) gathered over many, many births. And this mostly involves pain, anxiety, boredom, and all that's negative. When we sit down and do nothing, the mind doesn't stop; it keeps going even if we want it to stop. This is because the 'impressions' gathered over many lifetimes are coming to the surface - it is not going to be a pleasant experience.

But the good news is, by meditating over and over these impressions will come to the surface and vanish. So regular meditation helps, just as exercise helps since in both cases it is a gradual process. In short, mediation is all about eliminating impressions, without which liberation is impossible. But eliminating them would entail being patient and allowing them to come to the surface - and this is very tiresome, sometimes even painful.

And when that process takes place and those impressions do start disappearing, there is freedom from stress, freedom from anger, freedom from pain, all of which is sublime.
    It is for liberation, but liberation from what? Liberation from stress, anger, pain, etc, etc. :)
  • seeker242 said:

music said:

And when that process takes place and those impressions do start disappearing, there is freedom from stress, freedom from anger, freedom from pain, all of which is sublime.
    It is for liberation, but liberation from what? Liberation from stress, anger, pain, etc, etc. :)
    Not denying that, but it is only incidental. Real freedom is freedom from samsara.
  • Samsara isnt a thing...Samsara IS stress, anger pain etc
    seeker242
  • Citta said:

vinlyn said:

There's an ocean of knowledge between
    your OP and the Heart Sutra. As they say, don't quite your day job!

I suspect that the OP is nothing anything to do with the Heart Sutra.. I suspect is it not original either.
    It is there in the HS, and it is also quite common in advaita. But the point is to learn, not quibble over trivial matters.
  • Citta said:

Samsara isnt a thing...Samsara IS stress, anger pain etc

Samsara is the cycle of birth and death. Getting out of this cycle is the ultimate goal, the only goal worth striving for.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2012
    There is no cycle of life and death separate from the process of the skandhas which are characterised by Dukkha Anicca and Anatta...Samsara has no intrinsic existence.
  • Citta said:

There is no cycle of life and death separate from the process of the skandhas which are characterised by Dukkha Anicca and Anatta...Samsara has no intrinsic existence.

No intrinsic existence, you say, but we are still victims of it. To get out of it is the goal.

Jeffrey
  • We do not "get out " of Samsara. It is not a place or a thing.
    We see that it has no intrinsic existence.
    My first teacher expressed this in the title of one of his books..
    " The Goaless Goal "
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Seems so complicated.

I always figured meditation was just awareness practice.

The mind doesn't stop no, but the chattering can.

Like the wise old owl, our minds can listen more than they speak.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited December 2012
    music said:

Citta said:

No intrinsic existence, you say, but we are still victims of it. To get out of it is the goal.

I'd have to agree with @Citta on this one. There is no getting out. Getting out is just more division talk unless I misunderstand you.

• misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited December 2012
    ignorance leads to...leads to becoming (Dependent Origination) leads to birth leading to Samsara. removal of ignorance by wisdom breaks the cause effect cycle of Dependent Origination, leading to... leading to no more becoming, leading to no more birth.
  • What you have described IS Samsara... birth does not LEAD to Samsara.
    Samsara is not a "bad place " or a separate mode of existence. Samsara is the view which is conditioned by duality...Enlightenment is not a movement to a different realm. Its the same view unconditioned by duality.
    Jeffrey
    Ironically perhaps, Samsara is the cycle which leads to being enlightened.

• Citta said:

What you have described IS Samsara... birth does not LEAD to Samsara.
    Samsara is not a "bad place " or a separate mode of existence. Samsara is the view which is conditioned by duality...Enlightenment is not a movement to a different realm. Its the same view unconditioned by duality.

This is new age stuff, not Buddhism. Samsara is a mode of existence, not just a view. In samsara, we live in this world, are subject to body and mind, and all the defilements they bring. Nibanna is freedom of all that.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2012
    I give up. My teachers and their teachers are wrong. Have it your way.
    FullCircle
    music said:

Citta said:

This is new age stuff, not Buddhism. Samsara is a mode of existence, not just a view. In samsara, we live in this world, are subject to body and mind, and all the defilements they bring. Nibanna is freedom of all that.
    This is nhilism, not Buddhism. Samsara is the process which leads from ignorance to being awake.

If not for subjectivity, we could never wake up to our true nature.

• edited December 2012
    I have to agree with those who say that Samsara is not something for us to "escape" from. Miao-lo says in his Endon Sho that "Since the two extreme views are the Middle Way and false views are the right view, there is no path to be cultivated. Since samsara is identical with nirvana, there is no cessation to be achieved. Because of the intrinsic inexistance of suffering and its origin, the mundane does not exist; because of the inexistance of the path and cessation, the supramundance does not exist. A single, unalloyed reality is all there is -- no entities whatever exist outside of it."

I doubt that Grand-Master Maio-lo is a fluffy bunny... :)
    CittaDavidDaiva
  • I think I have fallen into the trap of allowing myself to be provoked...which I would guess is the actual point of the exercise.
    Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice..shame on me.
    MaryAnnelobstercaz
    It's nothing to hang ourselves on.
  • Citta said:

I think I have fallen into the trap of allowing myself to be provoked...which I would guess is the actual point of the exercise.
    Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice..shame on me.

m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DeKgPY1adc0A
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    music said:

It would help if you knew what you were talking about.
    And please give direct reference and link to the passage in the Heart Sutra your original post is based on, thanks.

• ^ That's never gonna happen......
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2012
    federica said:

music said:

It would help if you knew what you were talking about.
    And please give direct reference and link to the passage in the Heart Sutra your original post is based on, thanks.

To be fair, this is a common view found throughout Buddhism. Whether it's right or wrong, nihilism or otherwise, that's how samsara and nibbana are often presented, i.e., as the cycle of birth and death and the cessation of that cycle. Personally, I tend to see samsara as more of a mental process. As Thanissaro Bhikkhu puts it in "A Verb for Nirvana," "Samsara is a process of creating places, even whole worlds, (this is called becoming) and then wandering through them (this is called birth). Nirvana is the end of this process." But that's just me.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Citta said:

It is often seen as a realm because there is something to our awareness that experiences things as a place. My teacher teaches that we ARE space, thus thinking of samsara and nirvana as places is intuitive if not a definitive teaching.
  • Maybe sometimes the intuitive needs examining ? The posh name for thinking of Samsara/Nirvana as places is reification I believe...
  • @Citta, The intuitive does need examining :) I merely pointed out that there is something about a place that is relevant to the awareness. For example, do you recall a time when you were not in a time or place? But breaking these down with the mahayana madyamaka there is no such thing as time and place. Still when not analyzed we always have a sense of place. The madyamaka doesn't mean that our experience is void and meaningless. It just means that we don't know everything such as how or where a thought comes into our minds.
  • edited December 2012
    The Buddha spoke of six realms - heaven, earth, hell etc. If people want to believe these are just in their minds, they are welcome to. But it wouldn't make sense to practice dhamma if they were just in your mind (and not a concrete reality as such).
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/buddhism/beliefs/universe_1.shtml