Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Secular Buddhism

Comments

• I absolutely agree with @vinlyn, to make a choice does not have to mean it was a 'rejection' of anything/something else. Rejection is a strong word, much too strong a word in this context.

To repeatedly use the word rejection is to insist that the glass is half empty, and not half full, coming from a totally negative perspective.
    Why should anyone's choices be construed as a negative response, especially when they (some here, anyway) are clearly stating there is no negativity - or rejection- involved in their choice?

I don't understand, @pedanticporpoise, why you seem to be trying to get us secular types to - I don't know- admit we are rejecting what you call "traditional Buddhism" because we're just into rejecting (all) religion, and not accept at face value that it's simply what we choose not to believe in, for any number of good reasons...
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Cool, MaryAnne.

In fact, it's the discussions on this forum that have moved me more toward the secular side.
  • Personally I practice as if all of the dubious things are true because they benefit me. For example belief in rebirth and karma, it makes my life more meaningful, I feel, because I can imagine finishing my business in samsara and reuniting with loved ones in the next life as I walk the path. I wouldn't like to think that the only thing to life was the epicurian mindset. The view is vaster if the mind goes onward and death is less frightening. Karma makes me feel that every tiny action matters. I even saved my mom's life because I checked on her 'just in case' and she had a blood clot in her lung. So I can thank remembering karma. Instead of just keep wasting my time at home I checked on her and found she couldn't get to the end of her walk due to exhaustion.

It doesn't matter to me whatsoever what someone else thinks of karma other than that it might bother them if I ram my views down their throat. Now it's a different story when they ram *their* views down my throat. In that case, I don't like to be criticized even if they think they are doing the right thing by making me be more scientific or whatever they are thinking.
    Sile
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    vinlyn said:

MaryAnne said:

I'm guessing that the majority of western Buddhists are open-minded on these questions - but does that make them "secular Buddhists"?

I believe the best answer to that question would come from each individual follower of the Buddhist path. It's a label only they should apply to themselves, IMO.
    I agree, but I wonder if people are clear about the label - to me "secular" implies a rejection of the religious, not a truly agnostic position, ie leaning more towards disbelief than "don't know".
    "Rejection" is such a strong word, and the way in which you are using it seems very negative.

If I am offered a tray with a cherry turnover and a blueberry turnover, I will choose the cherry turnover. It's my preference. It doesn't mean I have rejected the blueberry turnover. It's just not my preference. If the tray had 2 blueberry turnovers, I probably would have eaten one.
    Your point is clear, Vinlyn, and when we're deciding on which pastry to eat it's all well and good. Under other circumstances however, differences of this kind can get quite easily polarized, and so called 'seculars' are not immune to this behavior.
  • Dakini said:

Dakini said:

In his book, "Confession of a Buddhist Atheist", he says he takes an agnostic position.

I disagree, the clue is in the title.
    ;)
    Well, obviously, but the fact remains that he does say in the book that he takes an agnostic position. That part isn't arguable. The title is a little strange, when you think about it, because Buddhism is non-theistic. So it's a bit of nonsensical title. But "Confession of a Buddhist Agnostic" isn't quite as catchy, somehow...
    I've read all Stephens books and to me he comes across as rejecting the "religious" content of Buddhism, not as an agnostic.
    The point was about his discussion in a specific book, that's all.

Nevermind said:

"Rejection" is such a strong word, and the way in which you are using it seems very negative.

If I am offered a tray with a cherry turnover and a blueberry turnover, I will choose the cherry turnover. It's my preference. It doesn't mean I have rejected the blueberry turnover. It's just not my preference. If the tray had 2 blueberry turnovers, I probably would have eaten one.

Your point is clear, Vinlyn, and when we're deciding on which pastry to eat it's all well and good. Under other circumstances however, differences of this kind can get quite easily polarized, and so called 'seculars' are not immune to this behavior.

You need to reread my post and read what I actually wrote, rather than what you wanted me to have said. We were talking about the inappropriate use of the word "reject". Just like I didn't reject a blueberry turnover, I don't reject rebirth or certain other Buddhist concepts. I am open to being convinced. But thus far, the evidence is not there.

• That always pisses them off at the cafe when you are saying you are agnostic on your coffee order, :p
    DaftChris
  • SileSile Veteran
    With all due respect, I think "secular Buddhism" is a problematic label, because it implies adherence to a certain (as yet not clearly defined) set of dogmatic (dis)beliefs. As I understand it, we are, as Buddhists, meant to test things out for ourselves rather than accept any particular (dis)belief out of hand. No Tibetan teacher has ever asked me to subscribe to karma or rebirth as a symbol of "religious Buddhism," so I think it's somewhat humorously ironic to find the disavowal of these specific things held up as a symbol of a "secular Buddhism."

I don't consider the subset of disbeliefs (disbelief in karma, disbelief in rebirth) often ascribed to "secular Buddhism" particularly remarkable or worthy of some new sect status; what about disbelief in one of the Four Noble Truths or several parts of the Eightfold Path; would it be fruitful to form a subsect in Buddhism made up of, say, those who believe in #1, 3 and 4 of the 4NT and 1-6 folds of the 8FP?

Isn't it, rather, the case in Buddhism that each of us is constantly exploring our path and that no particular belief or disbelief is really that remarkable, much less something that needs to be signed off on as constituting membership in some kind of "this" or "that" club within Buddhism?

The Dalai Lama himself has said he's not certain about the concept of rebirth - does that mean he, or the Gelug school, are examples of secular Buddhism?

I'm definitely not troubled by people having varied views on karma, rebirth, and a thousand other issues within Buddhism; I'm just wary of the impulse to create yet more clubs (labels) when so much of our practice is about shedding the need to label.

andyrobynFlorianDaftChris
    Sile said:

With all due respect, I think "secular Buddhism" is a problematic label, because it implies adherence to a certain (as yet not clearly defined) set of dogmatic (dis)beliefs. As I understand it, we are, as Buddhists, meant to test things out for ourselves rather than accept any particular (dis)belief out of hand. No Tibetan teacher has ever asked me to subscribe to karma or rebirth as a symbol of "religious Buddhism," so I think it's somewhat humorously ironic to find the disavowal of these specific things held up as a symbol of a "secular Buddhism."

I don't consider the subset of disbeliefs (disbelief in karma, disbelief in rebirth) often ascribed to "secular Buddhism" particularly remarkable or worthy of some new sect status; what about disbelief in one of the Four Noble Truths or several parts of the Eightfold Path; would it be fruitful to form a subsect in Buddhism made up of, say, those who believe in #1, 3 and 4 of the 4NT and 1-6 folds of the 8FP?

Isn't it, rather, the case in Buddhism that each of us is constantly exploring our path and that no particular belief or disbelief is really that remarkable, much less something that needs to be signed off on as constituting membership in some kind of "this" or "that" club within Buddhism?

The Dalai Lama himself has said he's not certain about the concept of rebirth - does that mean he, or the Gelug school, are examples of secular Buddhism?

I'm definitely not troubled by people having varied views on karma, rebirth, and a thousand other issues within Buddhism; I'm just wary of the impulse to create yet more clubs (labels) when so much of our practice is about shedding the need to label.

Very good post, Sile.

Of course, man has a tendency to classify things.

But I think those of us who are more on the secular side of Buddhism have been pushed there by people who criticize or imply a criticism when someone questions certain topics.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    There seems to be a view that "rejection" is being used in a negative way, which I find puzzling. I'm just describing what I see, a skeptical stance which leans more towards disbelief than belief, and which tends to reject the religious content of Buddhist teaching. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with rejection.
  • PatrPatr Veteran

@sile

Wow, so is he the reincarnation, rebirthed, reborn, reformed, re-came 14th Dalai Lama
    or the whole Tulku thing is a sham?

:-/
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Oops. Posted out of order.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited January 2013
    @PedanticPorpoise
    But the entire philosophy of Buddhism is a skeptic's heaven ;)

On the serious side, I think our experience of being raised in culturally-fundamentalist societies tends to make us leap to conclusions that Buddhism requires similar dogmatic behavior. Ask a teacher of Buddhism flat out if you "should" believe in karma - see what the answers are. In my experience, Buddhist teachers tend to point you towards evidence they feel is worth considering, but never in my experience has any Buddhist teacher pressured me to believe in anything.

@Patr

I don't think being open-minded is a sham. The Dalai Lama has said rebirth as we understand it could be something that happens, or it could be a misunderstanding, or something in between. Probably more helpful if we look at some actual quotes - I'll try to find some.

We are so used to things having to be black and white ("Heaven exists!" or "Heaven doesn't exist!") that when we encounter open-mindedness, I think it's hard for us to know how to deal with it. We feel that open-mindedness, or in-betweenness, is somehow shaky. In a way, many of us (myself included) would be emotionally more secure being given more boundaries; but Buddhism, from what I can see, is about removing boundaries.

BhikkhuJayasara
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited January 2013
    I think a big question I have is why karma and rebirth (or any particular concept) are given as examples of "secular" Buddhism. I know plenty of not-caught-up-in-Tibetan-cultural-traditions-Buddhists who accept the Buddhist philosophies on karma and rebirth, and I know Tibetans very much immersed in aspects of Tibetan Buddhist imagery who nonetheless aren't certain about karma and/or rebirth.

It seems to me as if "secular Buddhism" has already been decided, by someone else, for me, and even though I feel I am in tons of ways a so-called "secular" Buddhist, I now have to explain that I nonetheless believe in karma and rebirth (but don't care if others don't).

I think just saying "Buddhist" is more than enough - there are huge variations already accepted within that label, and as we have discussed elsewhere, even the label "Buddhist" can be too narrow or misleading.

There is also, without question, often a tone of "secular (intelligent, modern) Buddhist" vs. "traditional (superstitious, uneducated) Buddhist" to the labeling system. I know that not everyone feels this way, certainly, but in reading Batchelor's writings, for example, a very clearly condescending tone is apparent towards non-secular Buddhists. I don't find anything like this tone, however, when, say, the Dalai Lama is discussing open-mindedness; i.e. when he talks of the possibility of rebirth existing or not existing, I don't sense any negative judgement toward either belief, whereas in Batchelor, the negative tone stands out quite clearly, to me at least.

One of the things that most drew me to Buddhism was a notable absence of negative, judgemental tone, so when I see it (rarely) in Buddhism, it arouses my curiosity.
  • SileSile Veteran
    I'm sorry for the triple-post, but it just occurred to me that I'd love to hear people's various answers to this question, and have to run to work:

If you feel drawn to distinguish yourself as a secular Buddhist, why is this?

Is it, for example, an instinct to distance ourselves from "other" Buddhists in some way?

If so, why is it important to us not to be mistaken for these other Buddhists?

Sile said:

@PedanticPorpoise
    On the serious side, I think our experience of being raised in culturally-fundamentalist societies tends to make us leap to conclusions that Buddhism requires similar dogmatic behavior. Ask a teacher of Buddhism flat out if you "should" believe in karma - see what the answers are. In my experience, Buddhist teachers tend to point you towards evidence they feel is worth considering, but never in my experience has any Buddhist teacher pressured me to believe in anything.

That's been my experience too, and it was a point I was trying to make earlier. As if there is some mythical straw-man fundamentalist Buddhist who is pushing people kicking and screaming towards skepticism and secularism....

;)
    MaryAnne said:

Why should anyone's choices be construed as a negative response, especially when they (some here, anyway) are clearly stating there is no negativity - or rejection- involved in their choice?

Why are you making the act of rejecting something into something negative? I don't get it.
  • I have heard Buddhist practitioners describe themselves in weird and wonderful ways . . . esoteric, cultist, celtic, New age, original teaching, devotional, wisdom based (as opposed to stupid based . . . perhaps) . . . They are judging themselves in ways they might not so readily do with others . . . Therefore others are drawn into contention, when the description excites the need to put right the deluded other . . .
    I have found all of them sit on very similar asses . . . :wave:
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    Sile said:

I'm sorry for the triple-post, but it just occurred to me that I'd love to hear people's various answers to this question, and have to run to work:

If you feel drawn to distinguish yourself as a secular Buddhist, why is this?

Is it, for example, an instinct to distance ourselves from "other" Buddhists in some way?

If so, why is it important to us not to be mistaken for these other Buddhists?

I can give you my answer because it's the same root that we all often hide because of the PC culture. I consider myself a theravadan Buddhist...

Theravada was not the first type of Buddhism I came across, Tibetan was, but in my perspective there was too much superstition, too much mythology, and it didn't seem to fit me right and what I knew of what the Buddha said. When I found Theravada this mind could attach because it made more sense.

Because my mind then attached to Theravada, the ego then naturally says these other types that don't make as much sense to me are lacking, and Theravada is superior I every way. Then the ego boosts itself and developed more delusion and then it goes further into " hah look at those fools who prostrate and do silly things".

You see this a lot with athiests " hah look at those fools who believe in some imaginary god". Its the same roots in the mind.

Now I started with this ego and to an extent if truth be told I still do have the beliefs that " the true teachings of the Buddha" are the best. What I've come to find in my practice is that this is all fine and good " for me". So while my ego mind still has the bias( we all have biases based on our delusion), my mindfulness and practice teaches me to let go and that it doesn't matter what other people do, also I've come to know that there are many paths across the stream, and there are many paths up the mountain but only one view.
    edited January 2013

MaryAnne said:

Why are you making the act of rejecting something into something negative? I don't get it.
    Yes, clearly you don't get it.

Just because you do not accept something does not mean you reject it.

I don't accept rebirth because I see no evidence of it. Show me evidence, I will accept it.

TheEccentric
  • SileSile Veteran
    It's kind of funny to see what Buddhist philosophy might do to the sentence:

I am a secular Buddhist.

Buddhist: label
    secular Buddhist: label of a label
    I am: Am I?
    I: The "I" does not exist from its own side

Personally, I realize I probably have so much work to do dealing with that last one that I shouldn't even begin to spend time on the other three, lol.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Why are we picking on the label "secular Buddhist"? Why isn't anyone asking similar questions about people who choose Tibetan Buddhism, Zen or any other school of Buddhism? The exact same arguments could be brought to bear there as well. This has nothing to do with making "I" statements.
    :confused:

Why would someone's choice to follow secular Buddhism generate controversy, while a choice to follow Zen or other schools doesn't? It's just another "school", though one of more recent creation. Why the fuss?
    vinlynlobster
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Try thinking of it this way.

Does one not believing in rebirth, karma, the realms, etc. make them less of a Buddhist?

Conversely, does one believing in any of these make them any less secular?
  • @Dakini, I find it no more unusual than Thanissaro Bhikkhu writing essays with polemics criticizing the Mahayana schools. Instead Batchelor is writing essays and people are responding to his essays. Healthy debate is good, but unsolicited criticism is often not welcomed. Overall arguments about religion are some of the worst discussions. There is a reason people say not to talk about religion and politics. This forum is a special case because it is reserved with the purpose of debate. I say live and let live.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited January 2013
    I'm not picking on secular Buddhism, for sure; just responding to the OP, since I find it an interesting (and as yet ill-defined, imo) topic/label.

I think "agnostic Buddhist" might be a better label, for example, since it doesn't require any particular set of disbeliefs, whereas it seems to me "secular" tends to.

Language is so powerful - without meaning to, we can subscribe to a term that ends up shaping the thing it is attempting to describe; and since there isn't an agreed-upon definition/shape of "secular Buddhism" yet, it's good to try and choose the right term while we still can (if such a thing is seen as necessary, which it seems to some people is).
    Vastmind
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Also, it's interesting to see what else is accidentally defined by picking a definition for one thing; "secular Buddhism" to me says, silently, that "regular" Buddhism (or whatever we want to call it) requires belief in [x], and therefore it's necessary to delineate a "secular" Buddhism which does not require belief in [x]. But the reality is that "regular" Buddhism does not require belief in [x].

Fact is, regular Buddhism does not require belief in anything, and in fact warns strongly against such an ethic. in Buddhist terms, faith in this or that principle is meant to be a personal understanding, acquired through experience - not taken from someone else's.

There's no problem whatsoever in trying to define a certain, Western shape of Buddhism, not at all - I only worry about the very quick assumptions that seem to be going along with this particular term, secular Buddhism - case in point, that secular Buddhism is defined by disbelief in karma and rebirth - which for me, it's certainly not. And further, that calling it secular Buddhism implies something about regular Buddhism (hinting that regular Buddhism requires belief in this or that) which is not the case.

Vastmind
    edited January 2013
    vinlyn said:

You need to reread my post and read what I actually wrote, rather than what you wanted me to have said. We were talking about the inappropriate use of the word "reject". Just like I didn't reject a blueberry turnover, I don't reject rebirth or certain other Buddhist concepts. I am open to being convinced. But thus far, the evidence is not there.

Sorry, Vinlyn, I did not mean to put words in your mouth, if I did.

The word "reject" is not inappropriately used under the circumstances, in my opinion. If any words are being abused I'd say it was in the oxymoron "secular Buddhist."
    @Nevermind, I guess you and I will just have to disagree on this.
    vinlyn said:

Yes it does. Not accepting = rejecting.
    Neither accepting or rejecting = agnostic.

Dakini said:

Why would someone's choice to follow secular Buddhism generate controversy, while a choice to follow Zen or other schools doesn't? It's just another "school", though one of more recent creation.

The controversy in this thread seems to be about what secular Buddhism is. In terms of basic language "secular" means non-religious, and logically this involves rejecting the religious aspects of Buddhism.

• SileSile Veteran
    edited January 2013
    The problem, of course, is that "religious" has different meanings to different people. To me, prostrations are not a religious component of my Buddhist practice, but rather a literal "practice" which has beneficial psychological, physical, and philosophical components. Seen by someone who doesn't realize this, it may appear as if I'm engaged in some mindless religious ritual devoted to an imaginary being; however, this is not the case.

Lately I have been thinking of "religious" or "spiritual" as relating very much to how much/how little I rely on something "other" than myself. I notice that when I am very afraid, I feel the urge to call on an "other." When I'm feeling balanced and safe, I'm more able to put into practice the aspect of teaching which (in my experience, always) stresses reliance on self, on one's own mind. But when very weak and afraid, I do call out to others--other humans, other beings, etc. I think this is interesting--almost as if the more "other" our support, the more "religious" it seems.

This means, among other things, that the definition of "religious" may be so personal, that it's really not possible to look at someone else's practice and say that it is overly-religious; we can't know what that person is thinking at that moment.

For the record, I believe that there is a time and place for all aspects of that religious-nonreligious spectrum; I don't feel like looking down on something that seems "religious," because I personally feel a benefit from such a feeling or state of mind, often. But I don't feel the need to push such a view; I would say, though, not to be in a rush to denigrate or discard this idea of a "religious" feeling; it may simply be a different state of mind, one which could be beneficial in some way at some point.
    Jeffrey

vinlyn said:

Nope. Saying that I do not accept rebirth does not mean that I "refuse to accept, consider, submit to, take for some purpose, or use". I am still open to it. Show me some evidence.

vinlyn said:

vinlyn said:

Nope. Saying that I do not accept rebirth does not mean that I "refuse to accept, consider, submit to, take for some purpose, or use". I am still open to it. Show me some evidence.

You could accept it on faith, without evidence...
    Sile said:

The problem, of course, is that "religious" has different meanings to different people. To me, prostrations are not a religious component of my Buddhist practice, but rather a literal "practice" which has beneficial psychological, physical, and philosophical components. Seen by someone who doesn't realize this, it may appear as if I'm engaged in some mindless religious ritual devoted to an imaginary being; however, this is not the case.

Lately I have been thinking of "religious" or "spiritual" as relating very much to how much/how little I rely on something "other" than myself. I notice that when I am very afraid, I feel the urge to call on an "other." When I'm feeling balanced and safe, I'm more able to put into practice the aspect of teaching which (in my experience, always) stresses reliance on self, on one's own mind. But when very weak and afraid, I do call out to others--other humans, other beings, etc. I think this is interesting--almost as if the more "other" our support, the more "religious" it seems.

This means, among other things, that the definition of "religious" may be so personal, that it's really not possible to look at someone else's practice and say that it is overly-religious; we can't know what that person is thinking at that moment.

The problem, if it is a problem, is not that "religious" has different meanings but that it is not understood, I believe. It seems to be uncommon to investigate something like this, at least in my culture. Most generally, religion is about meaning. Human beings naturally have a need for meaning.
    Nevermind said:

vinlyn said:

vinlyn said:

I thought that was the criticism most Buddhists had of Christian religions.

Nevermind said:

The problem, if it is a problem, is not that "religious" has different meanings but that it is not understood, I believe. It seems to be uncommon to investigate something like this, at least in my culture. Most generally, religion is about meaning. Human beings naturally have a need for meaning.

Good perspective!

vinlyn said:

Nevermind said:

vinlyn said:

vinlyn said:

I thought that was the criticism most Buddhists had of Christian religions.

I think that's more over the eternal soul thing, rather than faith. Clearly there is faith in Buddhism, yes?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Nevermind said:

I think that's more over the eternal soul thing, rather than faith. Clearly there is faith in Buddhism, yes?

No. For Westerners, this is not at all clear. Many Westerners come to Buddhism because of its inherent logic (as they perceive it). Some choose Buddhism because they understand it to be anti-faith. The Buddha said to take nothing on faith, but to test the teachings. People who were raised in a culture that was based on belief in a sort of Santa Claus in the sky, and his incarnate son who died and then revived, find a more intellectual philosophy like Buddhism to be appealing. This is why many Westerners view Buddhism as a philosophy, or psychology, rather than religion. Where are you from, @Nevermind?

Dakini said:

Nevermind said:

No. For Westerners, this is not at all clear. Many Westerners come to Buddhism because of its inherent logic (as they perceive it). Some choose Buddhism because they understand it to be anti-faith. The Buddha said to take nothing on faith, but to test the teachings. People who were raised in a culture that was based on belief in a sort of Santa Claus in the sky, and his incarnate son who died and then revived, find a more intellectual philosophy like Buddhism to be appealing. This is why many Westerners view Buddhism as a philosophy, or psychology, rather than religion. Where are you from, @Nevermind?

Hi Dakini. Regarding faith and the Western view of Buddhist philosophy or psychology, do you know anyone who is enlightened? like the Buddha, for instance.

And I'm a Californiacator.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Nevermind said:

Hi Dakini. Regarding faith and the Western view of Buddhist philosophy or psychology, do you know anyone who is enlightened? like the Buddha, for instance.

We've had a couple of threads on exactly this topic. I think there are enlightened beings everywhere, not necessarily Buddhists. People who act from kindness and wisdom.

• SileSile Veteran
    The etymology and definitions section of the Wikipedia entry on religion is really interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion

Dakini said:

Nevermind said:

We've had a couple of threads on exactly this topic. I think there are enlightened beings everywhere, not necessarily Buddhists. People who act from kindness and wisdom.

So who are they? and you're saying that their enlightenment is equivalent to the Buddhas?
  • Faith in Buddhism is sradda which means applying the insights you receive to your life. So you could be seeing all this clarity on morality, the four noble truths, and so forth, but if your life is not living the teachings then you have less faith/sradda than is necessary to balance prajna/insight/intellect. So you could be living in terrible relationships and unhealthy harmful life, but be an expert on sutras or meditation. We have had members who were brilliant people get banned multiple times because they couldn't play nice like it says: "all I know I learned in kindergarten".
    Vastmind
    Nevermind said:

Define faith in this discussion, then I'll answer.

• MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited January 2013

@nevermind & @Jeffery

Let's not start muddying the waters by promoting the idea that "faith" is a complex word or concept. It isn't. I'm pretty sure numbers 1 through 4 sums up the context of the word faith - in this particular discussion...

Faith
    n
    1. strong or unshakeable belief in something, esp without proof or evidence
    2. a specific system of religious beliefs; the Jewish faith
    3. (Christian Religious Writings / Theology) Christianity trust in God and in his actions and promises
    4. (Christian Religious Writings / Theology) a conviction of the truth of certain doctrines of religion, esp when this is not based on reason
    5. complete confidence or trust in a person, remedy, etc.
    6. any set of firmly held principles or beliefs
    Thanks Mary. :)
    MaryAnne said:

@nevermind & @Jeffery

Let's not start muddying the waters by promoting the idea that "faith" is a complex word or concept. It isn't. I'm pretty sure numbers 1 through 4 sums up the context of the word faith - in this particular discussion...

Faith
    n
    1. strong or unshakeable belief in something, esp without proof or evidence
    2. a specific system of religious beliefs; the Jewish faith
    3. (Christian Religious Writings / Theology) Christianity trust in God and in his actions and promises
    4. (Christian Religious Writings / Theology) a conviction of the truth of certain doctrines of religion, esp when this is not based on reason
    5. complete confidence or trust in a person, remedy, etc.
    6. any set of firmly held principles or beliefs

It isn't that the definition is cloudy. But the use of the word is. A silly example, one day when I was having a faculty meeting and walked in with donuts for everyone, one of the teachers said, "I had faith in Vince, I knew he wouldn't let us down." Which is a lot different than saying, "I have faith in God".

• Nevermind said:

So who are they? and you're saying that their enlightenment is equivalent to the Buddhas?

Did you want to start a thread on this topic? This seems off-topic here.

edited January 2013
    Dakini said:

Nevermind said:

Did you want to start a thread on this topic? This seems off-topic here.

Faith is irrelevant to a discussion about secular Buddhism? Hmmmm........... I thought it clear that I was attempting to point out faith in Buddhism.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Not getting your drift, @Nevermind, you'll have to spell it out. All I said was that for many Westerners, faith is not seen as a part of Buddhism. We've had a couple of threads debating that topic, you can look them up, if you want. Don't shoot the messenger, I"m just stating a fact in response to your question, "Clearly there is faith in Buddhism, yes?"
This discussion has been closed.