Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Secular Buddhism

Hello,

I previously visited this forum when I was trying to get a better understanding of what Buddhism was, and decided that I wasn't sure what direction I wanted to take. I would generally consider myself to be agnostic (leaning toward atheism) with no religious/spiritual beliefs in particular.

I like many aspects of the teachings of Buddhism, and the focus on self improvement, and I have more recently felt that I would benefit from something of the kind - however I have difficulty coming to terms with some of the more supernatural aspects. Following an internet search I stumbled upon 'Secular Buddhism' which at face value seems quite appealing - I was wondering what the general feeling about it was on the forums.

Comments

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    It is better to keep an open mind, All of Buddha teachings are verifiable but they require deep insight and meditative concentration to discern they are correct, This isn't developed over night.

Keep an open mind, develop a basic practice of meditation, Find a tradition you like, Find a good teacher, Receive some more specific instructions, Develop a more controlled mind.
    BhikkhuJayasaraJeffreyperson
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    caz said:

It is better to keep an open mind...

Good advice, and keeping an open mind is an important aspect of Buddhist practice. There is no need to adopt belief or disbelief, and traditionally skeptical doubt is one of the hindrances.
    cazDavetheseeker
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2012
    meh_ said:

Hello,

I previously visited this forum when I was trying to get a better understanding of what Buddhism was, and decided that I wasn't sure what direction I wanted to take. I would generally consider myself to be agnostic (leaning toward atheism) with no religious/spiritual beliefs in particular.

I like many aspects of the teachings of Buddhism, and the focus on self improvement, and I have more recently felt that I would benefit from something of the kind - however I have difficulty coming to terms with some of the more supernatural aspects. Following an internet search I stumbled upon 'Secular Buddhism' which at face value seems quite appealing - I was wondering what the general feeling about it was on the forums.

for me personally there is something about secular buddhism that lacks.. but thats from my perspective and I can't quite quantify it or justify it, maybe its the monastics.. I dunno, so you can ignore my opinion lol. that being said I am a Theravada Buddhist however I am agnostic with regards to things I don't know yet. As Caz said there really is nothing to "believe" in Buddhism, it takes development to come to know how things truly are.

don't think you HAVE to BELIEVE in becoming(buddhist term for rebirth) or kamma. it is fine to shelf these things for later. In the Kalama Sutta the Buddha even discussed that if there is no "rebirth" then the practice brings great fruit here and now in this life.. and if there is rebirth then you are doubly rewarded. The most important thing is the practice, of sila(morality) and Samadhi( concentration ie meditation/mindfulness).

also there is "Pragmatic" buddhism with is like secular but follows a Zen style meditation tradition. the Buddha Center has two pragmatic buddhist reverands who teach there and I have enjoyed their talks. - http://www.pragmaticbuddhism.org/
    cazBunks
  • While, as has been mentioned by caz, understanding of some of the teachings may come from deeper insights - I do not feel that I could start from a point of being totally open minded about ideas such as rebirth and karma.

If I was able to have a functioning, secular Buddhist practice from which deeper insights arose I would be okay with that.
    edited December 2012
    meh_ said:

While, as has been mentioned by caz, understanding of some of the teachings may come from deeper insights - I do not feel that I could start from a point of being totally open minded about ideas such as rebirth and karma.

If I was able to have a functioning, secular Buddhist practice from which deeper insights arose I would be okay with that.

I think the issue comes from the term "religion", peoples aversion to it, and how that affects Buddhism.. I like what Venerable Punnaji defines Buddhism as, "psychotherapy". When you view the practice that way, only the practice matters( the practice again not just being meditation, but also morality).

so whether you call your practice mahayanan, theravadan, secular, or pragmatic.. these are all just conceptual terms we attach to the practice.. it is the practice itself that matters most and through which we will see fruit of our efforts.

also as an aside regarding open mindedness.. as you practice and you observe your mind and how it works.. I have a sneaking suspicion you will grow in your open mindedness.. that is just how it works... you don't have to "will" yourself to be open minded now or feel bad about it.. just proceed with the practice.
  • edited December 2012
    I know that there are a lot of benefits to be gained from meditation, even if you remove the teachings of Buddhism, so I would be quite happy to (willpower permitting) practice meditation regularly. I would find adhering to a moral code more difficult. However I get the impression that you are saying ideas about morality will become clear through a solid practice of meditation?
    meh_ said:

I know that there are a lot of benefits to be gained from meditation, even if you remove the teachings of Buddhism, so I would be quite happy to (willpower permitting) practice meditation regularly. I would find adhering to a moral code more difficult. However I get the impression that you are saying ideas about morality will become clear through a solid practice of meditation?

the morality ( doing skillful actions, abandoning unskillful actions) goes hand and hand with proper meditation, they are utterly connected. For the mind to be calm, clear, and bright, it needs to not have many worries, regrets, fears, etc... so the more skillful you are in your actions of body, speech, and mind, the easier concentration will come.

that being said, "vowing" (ie using force of will) to live a "more moral life"(ie following the five precepts) does not work.. you have to come to see the validity of following these precepts on your own through your own experience. so yes in essence the more you meditate, the more you see things as they really are, your motivations, tendencies, etc and the more sense it makes to you to abandon unskillful actions and perform skillful ones.

are you familiar with the five precepts at all?
  • Relatively familiar - 1&2 are fine, 3, 4 & 5 depend on interpretation I'm assuming. How do you let go of your regrets, worries and fears though? If you need the mind to be calm and clear to meditate, but it can only be made calm and clear by meditating - how does that work?
    edited December 2012
    meh_ said:

Relatively familiar - 1&2 are fine, 3, 4 & 5 depend on interpretation I'm assuming. How do you let go of your regrets, worries and fears though? If you need the mind to be calm and clear to meditate, but it can only be made calm and clear by meditating - how does that work?

the Buddha called this a "gradual practice".. it is not something done over night. learning to " let go" is very important in our practice. This is especially important for beginners as I know first hand.. I didn't learn to let go till many years into my utterly frustrated practice.

I highly reccommend watching this video -

just know that meditation is a PRACTICE.. meaning that you get better at it the more you do it.. never ever expect to have peace and bliss right off the bat, never expect to be able to sit for more then 5-10 minutes before stopping due to physical or mental issues. learning to let go also means letting go any ego issues regarding our meditation and not expecting anything, to just be there in the moment, objectively observing all phenomenon(from itches, to pain, to sexual fantasies) come and go.

regrets are your mind fixated on the past.. worries are your mind fixated with negativity on the future, the past and future do not exist outside of our own mind. Only the present moment is "reality". The present moment is where we see things clearly and know what the best course of action for us to do is.
  • I'm a secular Buddhist and I wouldn't have it any other way.... unless something changes my mind, which is always a possibility when one keeps their mind open to other perspectives and options. ;)
    But so far, as of today, this moment -- I'm a secular Buddhist.
    I try to follow the middle way and the 5 precepts to the best of my ability. As for meditation, I did a whole lot more meditation while I was a pagan than a Buddhist. I'm just not really into meditation at this point. Again, that could change tomorrow, next week, or 5 minutes from now. :)
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2012
    meh_ said:

While, as has been mentioned by caz, understanding of some of the teachings may come from deeper insights - I do not feel that I could start from a point of being totally open minded about ideas such as rebirth and karma.

One of the main purposes of the practice is to understand how our actions (kamma) contribute to our suffering and the suffering of others, as well as how they condition our sense of self. But if you don't see the usefulness in this aspect, meditation in and of itself can still be of benefit and may eventually lead to the same insights. If meditation is all that you're interested in, I suggest checking out this and this.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    caz said:

It is better to keep an open mind, All of Buddha teachings are verifiable but they require deep insight and meditative concentration to discern they are correct, This isn't developed over night.

Keep an open mind, develop a basic practice of meditation, Find a tradition you like, Find a good teacher, Receive some more specific instructions, Develop a more controlled mind.

Yes, you are correct. Keeping an open mind is crucial. And my viewpoint about certain Buddhist teachings has evolved over time, in part due to discussions on this forum.

If you say that broad Buddhist principles are all verifiable, then I would say yes. I would not, however, say that everything attributed to Buddha in Buddhist scriptures have been verified...and some are just not correct.

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited December 2012
    meh_ said:

Friend there is no such thing as "Secular Buddhist practice" there is simply Buddhist practice that is universal to everyone, From practices such as Concentration, Loving kindness and compassion, Morality and Wisdom.

Karma is simply action and effect we can see its effects now it is not hard to see but only the wise can actually discern the cause of innumerable experiences, Having cultivated wisdom and insight Buddha saw the Interconnectedness of all phenomena and hidden phenomena such as Rebirth.

An open mind is essential because all Samsaric beings essentially have wrong awareness that cannot currently ascertain the way things are, But with a mind purified by Concentration and wisdom these wrong awarenesses will cease and we can discern the truth of Buddha's deeper teachings for our selves.

If you cannot accept such teachings just put them on the shelf for now because you will find as insights grow so does our understanding of Buddha's teachings.

It is okay to be sceptical but in order for it to be successful one has to be like a scientist and use the tools at ones disposal to enquire about what is true rather then like a fool who dwells in Ignorance.

Be well :)
    BhikkhuJayasaraKundoVastmind
    caz said:

meh_ said:

Friend there is no such thing as "Secular Buddhist practice" there is simply Buddhist practice that is universal to everyone, From practices such as Concentration, Loving kindness and compassion, Morality and Wisdom.

Karma is simply action and effect we can see its effects now it is not hard to see but only the wise can actually discern the cause of innumerable experiences, Having cultivated wisdom and insight Buddha saw the Interconnectedness of all phenomena and hidden phenomena such as Rebirth.

An open mind is essential because all Samsaric beings essentially have wrong awareness that cannot currently ascertain the way things are, But with a mind purified by Concentration and wisdom these wrong awarenesses will cease and we can discern the truth of Buddha's deeper teachings for our selves.

If you cannot accept such teachings just put them on the shelf for now because you will find as insights grow so does our understanding of Buddha's teachings.

It is okay to be sceptical but in order for it to be successful one has to be like a scientist and use the tools at ones disposal to enquire about what is true rather then like a fool who dwells in Ignorance.

Be well :)
    well said friend! sadu :)
    cazBhanteLucky
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    You have a meditation practise. It only asks you to sit still admist what ever arises.
    You don't need to bring a belief to it. Your practise will show you what ever you need to be face. Good teachers will teach of the truths that they've understood for themselves but great teachers will teach you how to find your own truth.
    MaryAnneCinorjerrelaylobster
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Secular Buddhism speaks to a lot of Western Buddhists. I say, whatever works. What attracted me to Buddhism in the first place was its inherent logic: the 4 Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path, the basics. After a detour of a few years through the wilder and woolier aspects of Buddhism, I find Secular Buddhism brings me back to that streamlined foundation of logic. I'm a different person now, so I no longer have a problem with rebirth, so I'm not 100% "secular", but much of that particular approach to Buddhism is very helpful to me.

Following a moral code would be difficult? What?? :confused: The purpose of the precepts is to allow for the development of discipline, the goal of which is to facilitate the abandonment of grasping at ego, and the cultivation of compassion for others. It's not a moral code for its own sake, it's a means to an end.
    MaryAnnerelay
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanistic_Buddhism
    Check out Humanistic Buddhism, it very popular in the Pureland and Zen traditions in China and Taiwan.
  • Thanks for reminding us, @Takuan. Humanistic Buddhism does sound pretty impressive.
  • @meh
    meh_ said:

Relatively familiar - 1&2 are fine, 3, 4 & 5 depend on interpretation I'm assuming. How do you let go of your regrets, worries and fears though? If you need the mind to be calm and clear to meditate, but it can only be made calm and clear by meditating - how does that work?

There is spiral learning. So you improve your meditation and then you are more aware and have insight in how to practice and live. Then whatever else that comes up you keep bringing that to your meditation and it just keeps going. Mostly, at least, unless one gets 'stuck'. Gurus are helpful when stuck.
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    Jayantha said:

meh_ said:

the morality ( doing skillful actions, abandoning unskillful actions) goes hand and hand with proper meditation, they are utterly connected. For the mind to be calm, clear, and bright, it needs to not have many worries, regrets, fears, etc... so the more skillful you are in your actions of body, speech, and mind, the easier concentration will come.

that being said, "vowing" (ie using force of will) to live a "more moral life"(ie following the five precepts) does not work.. you have to come to see the validity of following these precepts on your own through your own experience. so yes in essence the more you meditate, the more you see things as they really are, your motivations, tendencies, etc and the more sense it makes to you to abandon unskillful actions and perform skillful ones.
    I'm confused by this. When did it ever not make sense to act morally?
    lobster
    edited December 2012
    Nevermind said:

I agree.

I'm not talking about any specific person here, but too many Buddhists get a thrill out of talking about almost any topic in abstract terms. They like to look, for example, at the 5 Precepts in abstract terms because it gives them more wiggle room to do what they want to do.

I don't see much abstract about the 5 Precepts, although I do feel that their interpretation can be discussed.

• Thanks for all of the helpful replies everyone.

Caz, while I'm unsure what you meant in your closing comment on skepticism, your post really helped to clarify things for me, so thank-you.

My somewhat limited understanding of meditation is simply focusing on the breath, looking at what arises in a dispassionate manner, and trying to remain focused. I am unsure of how we gain these 'insights'. Do they come to you during the meditation? Do you have to meditate on a particular topic? Does the mindfulness and concentration cultivated through meditation enable us to realise these things?
  • When did it ever not make sense to act morally
    Seems basic humanity, something I aspire to. Not any great 'path'.
    I must say humanism, secular, non cultural-circus-Buddhism and geek Buddhism are my favourite.
    http://www.buddhistgeeks.com/
    Mind you I am on a path to Buddhahood by next Christmas, so obviously have to go for only the essentials . . . :om:
    relay
    Nevermind said:

Jayantha said:

meh_ said:

uh... for those who do not know right action as right action.. and wrong action as wrong action :P
    Even secular Buddhists shouldn't be naughty... :p
    lobster
  • meh_ said:

Thanks for all of the helpful replies everyone.

Caz, while I'm unsure what you meant in your closing comment on skepticism, your post really helped to clarify things for me, so thank-you.

My somewhat limited understanding of meditation is simply focusing on the breath, looking at what arises in a dispassionate manner, and trying to remain focused. I am unsure of how we gain these 'insights'. Do they come to you during the meditation? Do you have to meditate on a particular topic? Does the mindfulness and concentration cultivated through meditation enable us to realise these things?

I think the insights play by rules of their own. They can be like buses. Nothing for a long time and then three come at once. Being a secular Buddhist won't stop them occuring. Mind you, I have little idea what a secular Buddhist is. I must go check. I can only say that I felt I had gained an important insight after fifteen minutes the very first time I tried Zen meditation. There's no predicting how things will go since we all start from different places.

Yesterday I had an excited phone call from a young person who had a strange experience while going to sleep. Two hours of dipping in and out of a state where all thoughts ceased or became like little minnows swimming in an ocean of silence, a cessation of physical sensations and a deep sense of peace and bliss. I congratulated him heartily. He's not even a pretend Buddhist.

Jeffrey
    edited December 2012
    this is in addition to my previous post to backup what I meant -

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sacca/sacca4/samma-kammanto/index.html

Its relation to the other factors of the path
    "And how is right view the forerunner? One discerns wrong action as wrong action, and right action as right action. This is one's right view. And what is wrong action? Killing, taking what is not given, illicit sex. This is wrong action...

"One tries to abandon wrong action & to enter into right action: This is one's right effort. One is mindful to abandon wrong action & to enter & remain in right action: This is one's right mindfulness. Thus these three qualities — right view, right effort, & right mindfulness — run & circle around right action."

— MN 117

so if a person doesn't have right view regarding this issue.. then it may not "make sense" to act in skillful ways.

also since I'm at it.. from the same link - a lay persons skillfulness -

A layperson's skillfulness

"And how is one made pure in three ways by bodily action? There is the case where a certain person, abandoning the taking of life, abstains from the taking of life. He dwells with his rod laid down, his knife laid down, scrupulous, merciful, compassionate for the welfare of all living beings. Abandoning the taking of what is not given, he abstains from taking what is not given. He does not take, in the manner of a thief, things in a village or a wilderness that belong to others and have not been given by them. Abandoning sensual misconduct, he abstains from sensual misconduct. He does not get sexually involved with those who are protected by their mothers, their fathers, their brothers, their sisters, their relatives, or their Dhamma; those with husbands, those who entail punishments, or even those crowned with flowers by another man. This is how one is made pure in three ways by bodily action."
    caz
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Jayantha said:

this is in addition to my previous post to backup what I meant -

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sacca/sacca4/samma-kammanto/index.html

Its relation to the other factors of the path
    "And how is right view the forerunner? One discerns wrong action as wrong action, and right action as right action. This is one's right view. And what is wrong action? Killing, taking what is not given, illicit sex. This is wrong action...

"One tries to abandon wrong action & to enter into right action: This is one's right effort. One is mindful to abandon wrong action & to enter & remain in right action: This is one's right mindfulness. Thus these three qualities — right view, right effort, & right mindfulness — run & circle around right action."

— MN 117

so if a person doesn't have right view regarding this issue.. then it may not "make sense" to act in skillful ways.

also since I'm at it.. from the same link - a lay persons skillfulness -

A layperson's skillfulness

"And how is one made pure in three ways by bodily action? There is the case where a certain person, abandoning the taking of life, abstains from the taking of life. He dwells with his rod laid down, his knife laid down, scrupulous, merciful, compassionate for the welfare of all living beings. Abandoning the taking of what is not given, he abstains from taking what is not given. He does not take, in the manner of a thief, things in a village or a wilderness that belong to others and have not been given by them. Abandoning sensual misconduct, he abstains from sensual misconduct. He does not get sexually involved with those who are protected by their mothers, their fathers, their brothers, their sisters, their relatives, or their Dhamma; those with husbands, those who entail punishments, or even those crowned with flowers by another man. This is how one is made pure in three ways by bodily action."

I'm afraid that I'm still confused, Jayantha. I don't have right view, yet making killing and illicit sex illegal still makes sense to me.
    Daiva
  • Just to clarify what I said about acting morally: I meant that I would find it difficult to adhere to an absolute moral code. I might steal something, or lie to someone (for example) if the ultimate good it brought about outweighed the pain caused by the action.
    meh_ said:

Just to clarify what I said about acting morally: I meant that I would find it difficult to adhere to an absolute moral code. I might steal something, or lie to someone (for example) if the ultimate good it brought about outweighed the pain caused by the action.

I understand what you're saying, and of course we all wrestle with such issues.

But, what good is an "iffy" moral code?

• meh_ said:

Just to clarify what I said about acting morally: I meant that I would find it difficult to adhere to an absolute moral code. I might steal something, or lie to someone (for example) if the ultimate good it brought about outweighed the pain caused by the action.

This is exactly how it works in Buddhism. There's a "higher good" principle (this is more in Mahayana Buddhism than Theravada, I'm told), whereby you weight the consequences of a potential decision to break a precept. If lying would save a life, for example, then it's better to lie. The karmic consequences of lying and saving a life will balance out in the end.

• Here's an article of Batchelor's discussing his "Secular Buddhism". :
    https://www.upaya.org/uploads/pdfs/batchelor12.pdf
  • Just a vote for what Dakini said. The moral/karmic value of the action would depend on the motivation of the actor.

And thanks to Mary Ann for the post about secular Buddhism. I wasn't quite sure what it is, and now it turns out that perhaps I am one.
    MaryAnne said:

Most secular Buddhists do not consider traditional Buddhism as “wrong” and secular Buddhism as “right”.
    Many secular Buddhist approach the sutta translations enthusiastically, skillfully, and skeptically. There is also much disagreement and agreement over the suttas.

In my experience secular Buddhists do reject traditional Buddhism, based on a skeptical interpration of the suttas.

• Hi everyone, hope you all had a pleasant Christmas and New Years festivities.

@Meh - this is the first I've come across "Secular Buddhism", and quite surprised, essentially, it seems to be a take on the Dharma devoid of the more unquantifiable, the undefinable, and any sense of the transcendental, is that right? Its an interesting debate because I know of several order members in the Triratna tradition who dont believe in rebirth (Karma, in the sense of willed volitions, I dont think needs to be a matter of faith anymore that I have faith that if I turn up the thermostat the room with slowly heat up, etc). Some people argue that the Buddha himself did not believe in rebirth, but used it as a metaphor to help people understand his Dharma as it was the commonly held view of the day. Some people have suggested that he meant rebirth in the sense of every day we are reborn. We'll never know either way.

Interestingly, one does have to understand that Rebirth is NOT Reincarnation. The traditional misunderstanding is that there is an identifiable person who somehow magically reappears after death again and again life after life etc is completely at odds with the teachings of Atman or Annatta, which show that there is no FIXED self to start off with, much less one there to be reborn.

If we can accept that consciousness is a phenomenon that does indeed exist, then it has to fit into one of the 6 elements (Earth, air, water, fire, space and consciousness). At death, all the other elements that constitute our bodies and mental processes are given back to the universe as the body cools, shrinks, decays, disappearing entirely eventually. Science illustrated that in any reaction, energy and matter are not destroyed but transmute and often change states. Perhaps this is what happens with consciousness at the point of death?

As different traditions have different takes on the matter, I personally would unhesitatingly recommend the British teacher/thinker/author Sangharakshita, as many of his talks are a) as the result of 70 years practice and b) he is easily one of the most broadly educated/trained Buddhist teacher who has ever lived. All other masters became masters in their tradition and no others. Sangharakshita has never claimed to be a Master or an enlightened being, but he is the only teacher alive (that I know of) who has gone through the training and taken the ordination vows within all the THREE Yanas (or schools/traditions) of Theravada (Burma, Sri Lanka, Thailand) Mahayana (China/Japan) and Vajryana (Tibetan/Nepalese Buddhism)!

Here is a link to an astoundingly good talk by the man himself on Karma and Rebirth:

freebuddhistaudio.com/audio/details?num=32

It might be a bit heavy in places, and does go into some Abhidharma-like analysis, but easy to follow and provides newcomers with a chance to look into the TRADITIONAL views of Death and Rebirth. I don't believe you HAVE to believe in rebirth (whatever it may or may not be) to be a Buddhist, PROVIDING you accept that enlightenment is attainable in this single life we have. Then you really do have to go for it! lol! Perhaps just listen to the conclusion, lol!

Me, Im gonna be an unenlightened being for the next million or so lifetimes, but it doesnt mean I should get too complacent. I do wonder thought, those moments when it feels like "coming home" to Buddhism, those moments where you think "aha, THIS is who I am" can feel very much at times like a re-learning of something one used to know intuitively... But thats probably just the romantic in me ;-)

Happy exploring guys, and may you all enjoy this day in peace and metta...

xx
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited January 2013
    MaryAnne said:

One of the best descriptions (not 'definition') of Secular Buddhist:

http://secularbuddhism.org/2012/07/09/what-is-a-secular-buddhist-and-what-do-they-believe/

here's SOME of what you'll see at that site:

" what secular Buddhists are not:

** In spite of what’s being bandied about the ‘net, secular Buddhists are not Stephen Batchelor clones. Not all secular Buddhists know about Stephen Batchelor, and while many do, not all are in 100% agreement with him on every aspect of Buddhism. And while many of us like him immensely, he is not our god, he is not our Buddha, and we do not aspire to be Stephen’s twin.

** We do not all approach practice the same way, nor do we all view the suttas in the same light, and many of us don’t even agree on Gotama himself (more on this in beliefs below).

** Secular Buddhists do not feel the need to erase the colorful rich, history of Buddhism, nor do we want to destroy traditions, their practices, their rituals, or their beliefs. Most secular Buddhists do not consider traditional Buddhism as “wrong” and secular Buddhism as “right”.

What secular Buddhist DO believe:

(edited to just a few points out of many):

Some secular Buddhists believe Buddha was a historical figure and his authenticity is of importance to their practice.

Some secular Buddhists have never thought about whether Gotama is a historical person or a myth, and some don’t care either way.

Some secular Buddhists believe in rebirth or reincarnation, while many do not.

Some secular Buddhists believe one can reach a fixed state of enlightenment and end suffering completely, while others do not.

Some secular Buddhists view enlightenment as moments of being awake, mindful in the present without mental embellishments and the suffering that creates.

and a little more:

Many secular Buddhists approach Buddhism from a practice point of view only.

Many secular Buddhists are not dogmatic about the suttas but have great respect for the teachings.

Many secular Buddhists consider the most relevant teachings to be the four noble truths, the eightfold path, and the ethics and compassion that comes out of both of those. However, there is much variation on how they define these teachings and put them into practice. In fact, we have a lot of healthy discussion and disagreement on these topics with each other.

Many secular Buddhist approach the sutta translations enthusiastically, skillfully, and skeptically. There is also much disagreement and agreement over the suttas.

Many secular Buddhists don’t care at all about the suttas, Buddhist history, or even Buddha. What they want is the practice itself; they want to know what to do.

So good it needs bumping imo. It is essential that any given teaching should not represent a barrier to practice...If it is a barrier, put it to one side..No one is required to sign up to a belief system in order to earn time on the meditation cushion.

• MaryAnne said:

Most secular Buddhists do not consider traditional Buddhism as “wrong” and secular Buddhism as “right”.

In my experience secular Buddhists do reject traditional Buddhism, based on a skeptical interpration of the suttas.

I would agree, they do (in a way) 'reject' traditional Buddhism - as their own personal path. But that is not declaring either one - secular or traditional - as right or wrong. Merely preferring one over the other as a personal choice.
    Citta said:

No one is required to sign up to a belief system in order to earn time on the meditation cushion.

I agree. Though clinging to a disbelief system can be an obstacle.

MaryAnne said:

I would agree, they do (in a way) 'reject' traditional Buddhism - as their own personal path. But that is not declaring either one - secular or traditional - as right or wrong. Merely preferring one over the other as a personal choice.

I'm not sure I see a practical difference. If somebody thought that the traditional approach was right, then why wouldn't they use it? And vice versa.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited January 2013

Citta said:

No one is required to sign up to a belief system in order to earn time on the meditation cushion.

I agree. Though clinging to a disbelief system can be an obstacle.

</blockquote

That is not a phenomenon I am aquainted with among practitioners...although I knew a number who are completely indifferent to matters like Rebirth..and neither believe nor disbelieve.
    Which for them, and for anyone without direct knowledge of the truth or otherwise of Rebirth, might be the most honest option.
    robotrelay
  • MaryAnne said:

I'm not sure I see a practical difference. If somebody thought that the traditional approach was right, then why wouldn't they use it? And vice versa.

Well, I'm not a Christian. I used to be, many many moons ago, but I am no longer.
    Do I think those who follow the Christian path are "wrong" in any way? No. It's just not the path that strikes a chord in me.
    There is no "right" and "wrong" when it comes to choosing a spiritual or philosophical path; only what appeals and 'fits' better than others.

Choosing one philosophy, one religion, one car, or one flavor of ice cream over others doesn't make anything "wrong" with the others... just not my choice.

By the way- anyone else not getting the text editing bar above when they are typing up a post? Anyone else not able to click on the "LOL" buttons, etc at the bottom of posts already up? I'm getting a Java Script error when I do.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

MaryAnne said:

Unless one is willing to believe anything written just because it is called a sutta any interpretation is going to be a skeptical one.

I prefer to think of myself as an objective Buddhist. I won't outright reject any teaching unless it contradicts scientific discovery.

MaryAnne
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    edited January 2013
    You don't HAVE to believe anything, really. That's the beauty of Buddhism. It's does not force it's teachings as the absolute truth, of which you will roast for eternity if you don't believe in them.

I consider myself spiritual with my Buddhism; about half way between traditional and secular. I do believe in a form of rebirth ( I think there is evidence for such a thing), but that's about it when it comes to the "supernatural" aspects. I don't believe in the higher/lower realms or literal karma, but that's perfectly fine. No one is going to force me to believe in them...at least I hope not. :p

To be honest, as long as one adheres to the 4 noble truths and the 8 fold path, then one is a Buddhist. And that's all that is needed.
    MaryAnne
  • Me, Im gonna be an unenlightened being for the next million or so lifetimes, but it doesnt mean I should get too complacent.
    Seems complacent to me. How about a more pragmatic approach? I appreciate you are being slightly tongue in cheek and 'humble'. Do we need to get real and pragmatic? Isn't that the only genuine Middle Way? :)
    ourself said:

Unless one is willing to believe anything written just because it is called a sutta any interpretation is going to be a skeptical one.
    I prefer to think of myself as an objective Buddhist. I won't outright reject any teaching unless it contradicts scientific discovery.

Trying to understand the suttas through the lens of scientific materialism is bound to be problematic.

Kundo
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Yes. Luckily scientific materialism is not a scientific discovery but a conjectural metaphysical opinion. If Buddhist doctrine is true then it could never contradict scientific discovery, and scientific discovery seems to be coming ever closer to proving its truth.
  • meh_ said:

As far as i understand it insights are simply thoughts that have significance to us. Every day, we decide on things and come up with useful ideas. In meditation, it is basically the same thing, with the difference that we are actually paying attention to what is happening - so we come to see what to do, get an idea about something, and start to see patterns in our own thinking - for example, we may notice that some ideas are actually from what another person told us, that some thoughts are silly but may keep on arising, that certain feelings or emotions precede a certain kind of thought.

With the understanding we are then more open to things in daily life - for example you may think of buying an expensive car, but realize that your motivation for it comes solely from unmet expectations from a person you don't even like. So you reconsider, and maybe invest in something more meaningful to you. You start to understand that just because you feel a certain emotion it doesn't necessitate a certain response; so you become more free by the understanding. That is the insight of it.

There are many other forms of meditation if you read around a bit. They are used for different things. You know your motivation, so its you who has to find a meditation that fits what you wanna do or know, or answers your questions in life.
    meh_ said:

Well, its not like you are gonna steal and the Buddha is gonna jump outta nowhere and beat you up for it. He's been dead for thousands of years. The idea behind precepts is that those actions breed trouble, and are usually done with a fishy agenda - out of fear, hate, etc. Also, they are self-perpetuating. The more you steal, the more you rationalize it, the more you see the world as not providing what you need, the greater the possibility of stealing to get what you need again. And the greater trouble coming out of it as a consequence. But you need to see it for yourself, adhering to random moral codes is useless, you would only feel forced into it. If you follow them, it is not like the Buddha is gonna jump outta nowhere with a bouquet of flowers to thank you as well :p
    relay
  • Florian said:

Yes. Luckily scientific materialism is not a scientific discovery but a conjectural metaphysical opinion. If Buddhist doctrine is true then it could never contradict scientific discovery, and scientific discovery seems to be coming ever closer to proving its truth.

Which in essence is what the Dalai Lama said..if a point of Buddhist doctrine is contradicted by science then one option is to change the doctrine.
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited January 2013
    I think he was more firm, and said we would have no other option but to change it. What a sane religion Buddhism is. A friend calls it 'enlightened common sense'.

Meh - It seems to me that the Buddha's teachings on morality do not inlude an absolute moral code, if by that we mean some kind of cosmic rule book. The morality of our behaviour would be judged according to our knowledge and intentions. As we are the only people who know these we must be our own judge. But there would be no judging. A Sufi saying has it that 'to make a man a judge is to kill him without a knife'. There is just the laws of karma at work. As we sow, so shall we reap, and this would be the absolute rule, no more involving judgements than the path of a rock falling off a cliff. The actual effect of our 'immoral' actions is not the point, and could never be the point, since those effects will reverberate down through time and may even do some net good in the long run. But we cannot be punished or rewarded for effects we did not forsee. Ignorance is the real enemy, for this is what allows us to do stupid things like acting immorally.

About insights. I would suggest that the insights and knowledge that may be gained in meditation cannot be underestimated. It would be impossible.

This discussion has been closed.