Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

there are no enlightened people, just enlightened action." ~ Shunryu Suzuki ~ (what is That??)

What exactly 'is' Enlightened action??

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Well how about generosity. If it is enlightened activity there is no notion of a giver, gift, or recipient.

I think because all phenomena are empty you can not sew them up with a definition and that is part of it. I guess you could say enlightened activity comes from undistorted ultimate bodhicitta. This is what the shamata vipashnaya is uncovering.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Sneeze once and you'll get the drift.

If you don't get the drift, sneeze again ... and keep up your good practice.
    lobstersova
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I like the original quote.
  • lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    Act Now.
    Before it is too late.

I like it . . . could almost be a mantra . . . :thumbup:
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited January 2013
    five skandhas when apprehended as emptiness become the activity of enlightenment. The very activity of 10,000 things is the activity of enlightenment or Buddha Nature.

Coreless and unestablished. No center yet we can say dependently originated. Everything as it is, is the unborn mind. Dropping the mind and body and the ten thousand things bring about enlightenment.
    lobsterDavidFloriansova
  • "To study the Way is to study the self. To study the self is to forget the self. To forget the self is to be enlightened by all things. To be enlightened by all things is to remove the barriers between one's self and others."

-Dogen
    lobstersova
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    zenmyste said:

I would guess being enlightened.

The original quote "There are no enlightened people, just enlightened action" seems to mean just that. A person becoming enlightened sees that there is no person, just action.

No human being, just simply being.

Jeffrey
    What exactly 'is' Enlightened action?
    After I become enlightened (all going well, due sometime this year) all my actions, postings and journey to the toilet will be at least a little bit of enlightened action . . .
    In outward appearance, we might find no difference . . .
    There is a Zen saying, "Before Enlightenment chop wood carry water, after Enlightenment, chop wood carry water."

So it would seem the experience of the action is the difference. :)
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    lobster said:

What exactly 'is' Enlightened action?
    After I become enlightened (all going well, due sometime this year) all my actions, postings and journey to the toilet will be at least a little bit of enlightened action . . .
    In outward appearance, we might find no difference . . .
    There is a Zen saying, "Before Enlightenment chop wood carry water, after Enlightenment, chop wood carry water."

So it would seem the experience of the action is the difference. :)

Hmmm... It would seem neither "before" enlightenment nor "after" enlightenment can hold a candle to what is not "during" enlightenment.

Before enlightenment, rivers were rivers and mountains were mountains;
    During enlightenment, rivers are no longer rivers and mountains are no longer mountains;
    After enlightenment, rivers are once again rivers and mountains are once again mountains.

Once we understand the illusion, we can carry on using it as a tool.

• When someone asks me if they have Buddha Nature, I quote something I learned long ago: "To say that you have or don't have Buddha nature is to already go wrong." If they ask if I'm enlightened, I have been taught to respond with: "To say that you are or are not enlightened is to already go wrong."

If I have not earned a punch in the nose by then, I now have the correct response to someone asking, is (fill in the name) enlightened? I can now respond: "There are no enlightened people, just enlightened action."

Suzuki was an amazing man. The son of an Abbott who operated a small temple and whose family struggled to survive on the meager earnings, he was being groomed to take over the family business (yes, that is how it works in Japan) but excelled in school, practiced Zen with a zeal not found in most students and proved his destiny lay beyond performing needed ceremonies for a little village.

I think beyond any other difference between Zen Buddhism and other schools of Buddhism is this - how Zen Buddhists view enlightenment compared to other branches. Zen took the Mahayana teaching about Emptiness and ran with it, extending it to enlightenment itself. To us, it's not something we obtain or attain or achieve. Who or what is it that "becomes enlightened" and where is the enlightenment hiding "out there" for us to find?

Granted, like any group of people, our Sangha often falls short of the teachings and principles we pay lip service to. It becomes a word game, where we turn ourselves into trained parrots who spout the language of emptiness while worshipping the "Enlightened Master" because (wink, wink) of course he doesn't see himself as special, he's enlightened don't you know. But we know different.

Human nature.

lobsterMaryAnne
    Cinorjer said:

"To say that you are or are not enlightened is to already go wrong."

A wise response as is the original action quote.
    Revealing ones insight is fit only for dirt, as the Buddha did when he touched the ground to acknowledge his enlightenment. I am hoping my carpet will suffice, otherwise I may have to have a bucket of soil on standby. :thumbsup:

Noble Silence is also what the police like to call, 'a good answer'. Oh well if I 'gain' enlightenment in the next year, you are likely to be the last to know . . .

. . . sorry about that . . . :bawl:
  • If you gain enlightenment? Isn't that already to go wrong?

lobster
    Yes.
    I will give up enlightenment but not the 'search' . . . :clap:
  • I would rather give up the search but not enlightened actions... :) lol
    MaryAnnelobster
  • Enlightened activity is to keep the precepts, study, and meditate. Every day.
    sovalobster
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    the planets are not actually separate from one-another in space

where space begins and the sun ends is not a determinable

as life unfolds, on a plant it is not as if one leaf becomes jealous of another; the more sunlight the leaves get, the better it is for the whole plant.

could a human be without air?
    mingle your gaze with all who air does touch,
    the open world is even closer than our fingertips
    =)
    I would rather give up the search but not enlightened actions...
    Oh the humanity . . . :clap:

Well said. I just hope I don't end up a silent Buddha . . . even though that is the 'truest' expression . . .
    Lights, cameras, ACTION . . . :wave:
    Vastmind
  • zenmyste said:

Any activity or action untainted by greed, hatred and/or delusion?

MaryAnne