Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How to sit

Some people insist on pain and contortioned torture . . . Not the middle way guys . . .

Here is the Traditional wisdom
http://www.samye.org/posture.htm#mindbody

chair or egyptian pose
http://www.wildmind.org/posture/chair

Other traditions use squatting (orthodox Christian monastics)
And are not too bothered by straight spines . . . . or dance, engage in craft
Or other activities (sufi)
. . . And what are some of those yogis up to . . .

How do you sit, or walk or kneel or . . . ?

Comments

• ToshTosh Veteran
    I use a zafu with a meditation bench. I covered the feet of the meditation bench with some spongy stuff so it doesn't damage the zafu.

I just can't sit cross legged in any fashion, even with a cushion. I don't think I'm that inflexible - I'm a runner and stretch regularly - but maybe because I run my joints/muscles give me problems?

I find I can sit for 20 minutes comfortably without changing positions; half-an-hour with trying to work with the discomfort, and then I've had enough of it. If I want to meditate longer I have to stand up, and I meditate standing up for a few minutes and then sit back down.

I'd be interested to hear how other people deal with it.

Good topic.
  • Tosh said:

I use a zafu with a meditation bench. I covered the feet of the meditation bench with some spongy stuff so it doesn't damage the zafu.

I just can't sit cross legged in any fashion, even with a cushion. I don't think I'm that inflexible - I'm a runner and stretch regularly - but maybe because I run my joints/muscles give me problems?

I find I can sit for 20 minutes comfortably without changing positions; half-an-hour with trying to work with the discomfort, and then I've had enough of it. If I want to meditate longer I have to stand up, and I meditate standing up for a few minutes and then sit back down.

Good topic.

The same as you Tosh, apart from the running and stretching part lol. I get to about the 20-30 minute mark and pins and needles will kick in to the point where I know as soon as I uncross my legs it is going to hurt quite a bit for a couple of minutes. I haven't really found a way to deal with this so I just get on with it. I find that if I change position then I lose my rhythm totally and awareness fades. If my uncomfortable position gets too much of an issues I switch my attention to it rather than my breathing.
  • I sit in a loose semi-Burmese position using a gomden. The only discomfort is in my knees, but it's very little.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I started out by kneeling. But after a couple of retreats, when I realized there was no way my knock-knees would escape the pain, I said the hell with it and took up half-lotus. I never did take the next step to the more steadied full-lotus and it's too late now. :)
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Kneeling (Zasa) with a small zafu and zabutan has been the position my body/mind has been the most comfortable with. I'll sometimes switch back and forth with burmese during longer retreats. I've used a chair or corpse pose when injured. 1/2 or full lotus for short physical demonstration purposes with a fake smile like I'm trying to convince a kid how good the broccoli tastes.
    Vastmind
  • Wherever I am, however the posture is. Right then and there is how I sit.

Whatever is happening the intention is to be there fully in full presence. Present.

And since that is contrived even that is relaxed and let go.

This is practice and life, non dual.
    BunksBegin_BeingStraight_Man
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited January 2013
    If i'm with small kids...we sit criss-cross applesauce. :)

If im alone, and no one is home.....in a chair, I made all
    pretty on my side of the bed. Ahhhhh.....,

or a fancy thing my H spent too much $ on. :grumble:
    It's a nice ball of thread filled with some sand,
    He found it in a Zen mag. hahaha

My favorite sit spot?
    Legs stretched out...on the
    grass.
    or crafting...hahaha
  • I'm trying to find a good posture for 30 minute sits. I did two with a zafu, first time, and got it. But now I am doing 10 minute sits (multiple) for this month but will build to 15, 20, 25, and finally 30. My goal is to be able to sit that long so I can participate in public sittings.
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Tosh said:

Good topic.

I used to do loads of running too @Tosh & my hammys are still as tight as a Scotsman!
    Tosh
  • I was having a problem with this -- I read all kinds of descriptions, but I could never exactly figure it out from a book. I went to an intro class at a local Zen center this past Sunday. While this turned out to be a place I will never go back to for various reasons, it was worth going for this one thing alone -- the teacher showed us different ways to sit. Kneeling with the help of a zafu was completely amazing -- no back pain! No asleep legs! The worst I experienced was that my ankles got a little stiff. As soon as I get the money together, I'm so getting a zafu.

Bunkslobster
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Sorry, in my earlier post I said zafu, I meant zabuton. I bet no-one is bothered, but thought it may confuse if I didn't point out what I meant. I use the big square buck wheat filled mat thing and on top of that I put a meditation bench and sit kinda zazen.

My toes go off the end of the mat, so there's less stress on my ankles.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Zabutons definately reduce the ankle strain of those kneeling in Zasa when a portion of the foot is allowed to drape off the end of that Zabuton.
  • Yoga is good, in fact, some believe that Yoga originated as a means to strengthen the body to facilitate meditation. Yoga helps posture and provides ways of getting into sitting poses such as Padmasana (full lotus).
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Predominantly Burmese on a zafu + zabuton. I tried seiza a couple of times and my legs were completely numb. Don't get why it's supposed to be "more comfortable."
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    It tends to be comfortable for those with skinny legs or those willing to use a higher bench or zafu, but the reason why there are so many sitting postures is because there are so many different body types.
    Invincible_summer
  • I use a low seiza stool on a yoga mat (folded to get double layer for comfort). i have no problem with legs and lower back. Quite often get annoying pains in the neck, chest and shoulder blade areas. i sit for 30 minutes on average.