Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Gay Rights- Thoughts?

StormerStormer Explorer
edited March 2013 in General Banter
Just for some background on the subject, America is currently in a heated debate over whether or not to allow same-sex partners to legally marry each other. The main opposition comes from staunch Christians who believe it is not ethical because it says so in the Bible. I personally think that they should be allowed because it really doesn't make a difference in my life if the gay couple next door (metaphorically) is married or not. Anyway, I just wanted the opinions of some fellow Buddhists.
Zero

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Absolutely no reason in todays world to deny another human a basic right. Love is love, no group deserves to have a monopoly on marriage, nor should we tolerate so.
    riverflowstavros388
  • it really doesn't make a difference in my life if the gay couple next door (metaphorically) is married or not.

Exactly.
    Unless you are that couple. Then it makes a big difference.
    Buddhism = mind your business, not other people's . . . :clap:
    riverflowLucy_Begood
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    lobster said:

it really doesn't make a difference in my life if the gay couple next door (metaphorically) is married or not.

Exactly.
    Unless you are that couple. Then it makes a big difference.
    Buddhism = mind your business, not other people's . . . :clap:

In general, minding one's own business is good advice.

But it is not true that "Buddhism = mind your business, not other people's". Please show me that in Buddhist scripture.

Marriage is an expression of intimate love between two (consenting) people--people. That's about it, really, in my opinion. Why should I not be happy to see two people in love with one another? Again, I stress that word: People.

As far as Christians (or at least people who refer to themselves as such), the Bible is only used as an ideological justification after the fact of what they really just feel icky about. Just as others before them felt icky about interracial marriage. In reality, it isn't that it is sinful--its just icky to them. They don't see people, just ickiness. Using the Bible to prop that ickiness up is just a way to avoid facing the obvious prejudice. If they truly believed the Bible were the real reason for their opposition, they would be just as vehement about adultery and a host of other "abominations."
    HoteiMaryAnnestavros388chela
  • edited March 2013
    Morgan freeman said something along the lines of "I dont like the word homophobic. Youre not afraid, youre just an asshole".
    riverflowvinlynBhanteLucky
  • I could never understand why gay marriage isn't allowed. It's simply people trying to tell other people how to live their life. All I would like to ask those opposing it is "What difference does it make to you?".
    riverflowStormer
    Over time I've come to believe that marriage should be only a church status that has no legal standing in terms of governmental matters.

The government should sanction only civil unions between any two partners.
  • StormerStormer Explorer
    Just to put out my own entire view I'll just copy and paste a post I made on another site earlier.

Why do people oppose gay marriage? It doesn't affect you at all. Why do you care? It's not like every gay person is just going to say "Well I can't marry my partner so I guess I should just be straight." Honestly if they want to get married, let them get married. Who are you to stop them anyway? Just some food for thought.
  • vinlyn said:

Over time I've come to believe that marriage should be only a church status that has no legal standing in terms of governmental matters.

I believe marriage in a church is only a church status. At least here in Ireland, you essentially have to be married twice, if you have a church wedding. Once in the eyes of the church, then again in the eyes of the law, by signing documents and such.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Fully in support of equal rights. You cannot claim just because someone is different therefore they deserve fewer rights, or "separate but equal" rights. Rights are rights, we are all the same. This is a very trying topic for me, so I try to be careful what I say, lol. I have a lot of gay loved ones in my life, family, friends and neighbors and seeing them treated like second class citizens, and in some cases worse than so-called Christians treat their pets makes me angry. Unbuddhist of me, I know. I'm working on it, lol.
    riverflowchela
    @karasti, I don't see anything that is un-Buddhist in your statement.
  • Jason_PDK said:

vinlyn said:

I believe marriage in a church is only a church status. At least here in Ireland, you essentially have to be married twice, if you have a church wedding. Once in the eyes of the church, then again in the eyes of the law, by signing documents and such.
    In the US we are only asking for governmental recognition for same sex couples who want to marry ... the same government protected 'civil right' that is afforded man/woman marriages.
    No one is trying to force Christian churches, temples, synagogues or any other religious institution into changing their own rules or religious laws.
    They are certainly free to discriminate as they see fit.

• StormerStormer Explorer
    MaryAnne said:

They are certainly free to discriminate as they see fit.

Unfortunately, yes they are...
    You would if you saw some of the arguments I get in elsewhere on the internet. I try hard to just step away, but some days I fail miserably. I can count on one hand the # of civil discussions that I've seen take place about it (other than here I mean), and that's from both sides of course. Sometimes, it goes really well, even when the people involved strongly disagree with each other. But there is always someone from one side or the other that steps in with not just ignorance, but hatred. They seem to think it's their job to judge rather than God's, when they use their religion as their reasoning.

I don't understand the "you can't make me change my morals!!" line. Sigh. No one is asking anyone to change their morals. It's not like someone is asking them to be gay, lol. It doesn't help that not only is it a hot topic because of the SCOTUS cases, but the state I live in is in heated debated over it. Last fall we shot down an amendment to name marriage between men and women, and then we elected a fully democratic state government, so they are pushing to legalize gay marriage right now in our state legislature. Which is good, of course, it's just stressful. I get emails and texts and phone calls on almost a daily basis from people in my life asking why so many people dislike them, why they can't just let them live their lives and so on, including a good friend who is a lesbian and whose father is a deacon in the Catholic church. They voted against their own daughter having equal rights. I don't think some people realize how hard it is on some people to go through that. Pretty hard to realize that such a huge chunk of society thinks you aren't deserving of the same rights as them just because of who you happen to love. I don't want to make it sounds like they are all whiners or something, they aren't that way at all.
    MaryAnne
  • I think of course they should be allowed to do so, gay and lesbian people are no less of a person than a straight human, so why should they be given less rights? Also the bible says you should not kill, yet America does so in war when it is not even defending its country anymore, it is trying to protect the petrol dollar. Do the Christians who protest against gay rights consider this at all?
    riverflow
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    edited March 2013
    This is one of the many reasons why I hold resentment for Christianity, I know I shouldn't as a Buddhist However we shouldn't sugarcoat it; this belief is outdated, immoral, discriminitive and Evil.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Differentiation is obscene.
    Parking lots don't have special slots for straight/gay people, there is no 'gay' lane on the highway, and door handles are used by everyone.... It's just ridiculous to suddenly decide there are certain social areas gays may not be allowed to go because they're.... well... gay, of course.
    riverflowJeffrey
  • Parking lots don't have special slots for straight/gay people,
    Sounds like a plan for your local extremest Church. A parking space labelled, 'gays, cripples, Jesus, guests, heathens and satanists'.
    I would go and park there and see if they could guess which category I came under . . . :p
    Jeffrey
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    The nearest Anglican ( Episcopalian ) church to where I live has an large notice outside which welcomes " All people, regardless of social status , race or sexual orientation ".
    It is part of a large ' Inclusivist ' movement within the Anglican Church in the UK.
    It easy to assume that the mores of The Bible Belt are the norm in Christianity.
    They aint.
    riverflow
  • Citta said:

The nearest Anglican ( Episcopalian ) church to where I live has an large notice outside which welcomes " All people, regardless of social status , race or sexual orientation ".
    It is part of a large ' Inclusivist ' movement within the Anglican Church in the UK.
    It easy to assume that the mores of The Bible Belt are the norm in Christianity.
    They aint.

I am fully aware that this is not something that is everywhere, there are people in all religions who taint the religion itself and distort it to fit their views.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

This is one of the many reasons why I hold resentment for Christianity, I know I shouldn't as a Buddhist However we shouldn't sugarcoat it; this belief is outdated, immoral, discriminitive and Evil.

I completely understand your sentiment; however, please note that not all of 'Christianity' feels negatively towards homoesxuals.

@TheEccentric,
    I'm inclined to believe that you object specifically to this blinkered and narrow-minded opinion, held by some so-called Christians.
    If Jesus could apparently hold love and compassion for Tax Collectors, Prostitutes and Lepers, I'm pretty darned sure he would similarly have embraced homosexuals - and in a good way.
    So it's 'certain people' - not Christianity - I'm certain you have contempt for, with regard to this resentment..... ;)

riverflowstavros388
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    If church and state are to be separate in the US, then why the heck has religion got anything to do with their laws?

In the UK gay marriage isn't yet legal, but we have civil partnerships which provides the same legal status as a marriage, but the UK is progressing laws to legalise same-sex marriage.

The only people it seems to upset is the religious.
    riverflowTheEccentric
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Some religious. And its not just some Christians either. The most offensive remarks about gay men I have read recently were from a Thai woman on Dhamma Wheel.
    If they had been made on a British website she and the owner would have risked prosecution.
    And I strongly suspect that her remarks were a naive glimpse into the thinking among some Thai Buddhists.
    @Citta,

Do you mean "Only some religious people are upset by this",

or

"Huh, 'some' religious people they are!"

Either way - you're right.....

:D
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    The former was what I meant ma'am. But yes the latter fits too.
    edited March 2013
    Citta said:

Some religious. And its not just some Christians either. The most offensive remarks about gay men I have read recently were from a Thai woman on Dhamma Wheel.
    If they had been made on a British website she and the owner would have risked prosecution.
    And I strongly suspect that her remarks were a naive glimpse into the thinking among some Thai Buddhists.

A woman on Dhamma Wheel! That's a novelty......

:rolleyes:

:eek2:

;)
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    There are two I believe. And one of them is obssessed with old pop stars and jewellery and apparently hates gays.
    I fear that Dhamma Wheel does no service to your gender Fede..
    ;)
    federica
  • Citta said:

They aint.

As someone who has lived most of his life in the Bible Belt, I often need this reminder.

Just because some people yell the loudest doesn't necessarily mean they are the most common representative of Christianity (though they may also like to think they are).

And just because they have a well-oiled political machine in operation in the US doesn't make them the most representative either. Fundamentalism is a reactionary movement that is largely politically motivated.
    vinlyn
  • Citta said:

That is one woman, you should come to Thailand and see how openly and widely accepted gay and lesbian people actually are. It is wired into the culture here so much that it is great, people don't bat an eyelid at what your gender or sexual orientation is.
    riverflowInvincible_summer
    edited March 2013
    Isn't Thailand "The Home" of 'Lady-Boys'....?

So I fail to see that one person would be the epitome, or general voice of widespread opinion, in Thailand.....

(She could be male, and actually hail from Bromley..... :D )
  • Yes Thailand is home of the ladyboy lol. I seem to attract them more than women when I am walking down some dodgy bar street for some reason, even when I am with my girlfriend. Ladyboys are so accepted in the culture here that they host shows and are on the news and things like that, it is just the norm.. I would like to see what would happen if a hardcore Christian from the bible belt in the US was randomly placed in somewhere like Pattaya or Phuket hahaha, oh that would be a sight to see.
    stavros388Invincible_summerJeffrey
    There are skilful forms of attachment - and less skilful ones....

There is nothing wrong with an attachment to a Significant Other.
    There is something wrong with an unhealthy attachment to a Significant Other.
    riverflowMaryAnneCitta
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    edited March 2013
    As a gay man, I guess it's only logical that I support the legalization of same-sex marriage. Which I do.

However...

I've noticed two things this past week when it came to the two supreme court cases:

1.) I didn't change my profile pic to the red equal sign, while (almost quite literally) virtually everyone else I know did. What does this mean? Are they more passionate than I am about the issue or are they simply jumping on the latest bandwagon? How many changed it because they were truly passionate about the issue and how many others were like "Oh that 's right, the case is today. Better change my pic so people notice. I don't want to go unnoticed".

And 2.) Spring-boarding from #1, I've discovered something about myself. I do support the right for others to be married, but deep down, perhaps I don't really support any marriage at all? It seems that marriage is a dying "institution" across the board. More and more couples (gay and straight) are co-habiting or getting civil unions. To me, it seems more beneficial if everyone (gay and straight) got civil unions and not the financial hassle of marriage (the wedding and, if need be, the divorce cost). But, my view is probably in the minority and therefore, I support the legalization of marriage for the LGBT community. Why should my personal views get in the way of someones happiness?
    ThailandTomriverflowInvincible_summer
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited March 2013

Citta said:

That is one woman, you should come to Thailand and see how openly and widely accepted gay and lesbian people actually are. It is wired into the culture here so much that it is great, people don't bat an eyelid at what your gender or sexual orientation is.
    I am sure you are my right. My remark was over -flippant.
  • DaftChris said:

As a gay man, I guess it's only logical that I support the legalization of same-sex marriage. Which I do.

However...

I've noticed two things this past week when it came to the two supreme court cases:

1.) I didn't change my profile pic to the red equal sign, while (almost quite literally) virtually everyone else I know did. What does this mean? are they more passionate than I am about the issue or are they simply jumping on the latest bandwagon? How many changed it because they were truly passionate about the issue and how many others were like "Oh that 's right, the case is today. Better change my pic so people notice. I don't want to go unnoticed".

And 2.) Spring-boarding from #1, I've discovered something about myself. I do support the right for others to be married, but deep down, perhaps I don't really support any marriage at all? It seems that marriage is a dying "institution" across the board. More and more couples (gay and straight) are co-habiting or getting civil unions. To me, it seems more beneficial if everyone (gay and straight) got civil unions and not the financial hassle of marriage (the wedding and, if need be, the divorce cost). But, my view is probably in the minority and therefore, I support the legalization of marriage for the LGBT community. Why should my personal views get in the way of someones happiness?

I have no issues with gay marriage whatsoever but I personally see no real reason for marriage itself in this day and age, or in other words it does not serve the purpose for what it once did decades and centuries ago. I am never going to get married and my partner knows this, if you love somebody enough I don't think there should be any reason to go to such lengths to prove it. To prove love means keeping a relationship alive and interesting daily, maintaining trust and being there when your partner needs you, not a piece of paper saying you are now officially together in the eyes of God. O yea I also don't believe in that dude/dudette so there is another reason for me to not marry. ALL of that being said, I respect other people and their opinions :) Come to think of it I have never actually been to a wedding :/
  • DaftChris said:

1.) I didn't change my profile pic to the red equal sign, while (almost quite literally) virtually everyone else I know did. What does this mean? Are they more passionate than I am about the issue or are they simply jumping on the latest bandwagon? How many changed it because they were truly passionate about the issue and how many others were like "Oh that 's right, the case is today. Better change my pic so people notice. I don't want to go unnoticed".

A good point to consider, and it is possible there are some that have done so. Of the few friends I have on Facebook, I would definitely say that is not the case though--they truly support human rights and it is good to express that. If others do merely jump on the bandwagon, fine. Better than being opposed to it.
    chela
  • ToshTosh Veteran

DaftChris said:

I have no issues with gay marriage whatsoever but I personally see no real reason for marriage itself in this day and age, or in other words it does not serve the purpose for what it once did decades and centuries ago.

Marriage is useful from a legal point of view, especially when it comes to who is going to get your stuff when you die?

riverflow

• That is one woman, you should come to Thailand and see how openly and widely accepted gay and lesbian people actually are. It is wired into the culture here so much that it is great, people don't bat an eyelid at what your gender or sexual orientation is.

This is true, in Thailand it is so much part of the culture that no one gives it a second thought. Which makes me wonder why SSM is not legal? Can't blame the Christians there, must be the Buddhists?

And if you look at this map, very few countries in the world where SSM is recognized. Also it looks those getting on board are the Christian/Catholics countries.... interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:World_marriage-equality_laws.svg
    I think marriage/legal partnership still has it's benefits, mostly in the realm of making decisions for each other and such. The last thing I want if I become ill and incapacitated or something is for my husband to have to fight with my family about what should be done about me, because he knows my wishes in much more detail than they do. It also gives a lot of stability to kids. That doesn't mean kids have to be raised within a marriage to be stable, of course. So, while I'm not a person who hangs on to marriage because I feel it's a requirement of a health society (lol look at ours, we don't do so splendidly on a lot of fronts) or anything, I do think it still has a point.

As for the equal sign graphic, I didn't see anyone using it for attention whoring. I of course don't know every person who used it. But I know a lot of people I did, virtually every person on my friends had it changed, and they are all very supportive and outspoken on marriage equality, they make door to door visits, phone calls, they write politicians, they go to rallies and so on. On various discussions on pages and walls, a LOT of people had the equal sign up, and all of them were very vocal in their support. I personally don't think that a significant # of them just willy nilly put it up because everyone else did. I also see nothing wrong with people who didn't put it up. It was still nice to see the consolidated support.
    riverflow
  • Tosh said:

DaftChris said:

I have no issues with gay marriage whatsoever but I personally see no real reason for marriage itself in this day and age, or in other words it does not serve the purpose for what it once did decades and centuries ago.

Marriage is useful from a legal point of view, especially when it comes to who is going to get your stuff when you die?

Just write a will... Plus at the moment I don't have anything of any worth apart from my laptop tbh, I live a very simple life. When I spoke about marriage in my post above, I spoke about it through my opinion and personal to my life.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    federica said:

Isn't Thailand "The Home" of 'Lady-Boys'....?

So I fail to see that one person would be the epitome, or general voice of widespread opinion, in Thailand.....

(She could be male, and actually hail from Bromley..... :D )

Well Bromley is the far east as far as I am concerned..

:p
    ThailandTom
    Oh I know, but wills are not uncontestable. I don't have possessions I worry about, but I have 3 children, and my husband is not the father of 2 of them. Their dad's family could attempt to argue for custody, for example. Unlikely they would win though because we are married and he has acted as their father, even though he did not adopt them, for the past 6 years. If we weren't married, and I died, it would be messier for him to keep all the children together if their dad's family wanted to push for custody. I wasn't saying people should consider marriage if that isn't what they want, lol. I was just responding to whoever said (I think @DaftChris?) that marriage is a dying institution that we no longer need. I disagree that is it no longer needed, at least at this point in time the way things work in our legal system. I could care less who gets my laptop. What happens to my children is vastly different.
  • karasti said:

Oh I know, but wills are not uncontestable. I don't have possessions I worry about, but I have 3 children, and my husband is not the father of 2 of them. Their dad's family could attempt to argue for custody, for example. Unlikely they would win though because we are married and he has acted as their father, even though he did not adopt them, for the past 6 years. If we weren't married, and I died, it would be messier for him to keep all the children together if their dad's family wanted to push for custody. I wasn't saying people should consider marriage if that isn't what they want, lol. I was just responding to whoever said (I think @DaftChris?) that marriage is a dying institution that we no longer need. I disagree that is it no longer needed, at least at this point in time the way things work in our legal system. I could care less who gets my laptop. What happens to my children is vastly different.

Yea like I said I can appreciate other people and their lives and opinions, but for me there is no point, I don't want kids, I don't really own anything (which feels really quite good actually), apart from laptop, motorbike, clothes and a few bits and bobs. So I understand why it would help in your situation but as for me it doesn't make a difference. I think though that people should be allowed to marry and divorce who they wish when they wish.
    Jeffrey
    Citta said:

They aint.

Yes, here in Colorado Springs -- somewhat of a hotbed of Christian fundamentalism -- the Epsicopal churches are very gay friendly.

I know a lot of people who feel the same. I have several friends who are happy just being in a relationship and have no desire to get married. There was just a study that came out about the US recently that said what a tragedy it is that marriage is on the decline. I don't think it's a tragedy. Let people do what they want with their lives instead of pushing them onto the treadmill of making decisions just because it should be the next thing to do. The study was a year ago , as it turns out. In 1960 over 70% of adults were married, now it's 51%. I expect it'll keep dropping, though we might have a surge if we legalize gay marriage. Plus it'll help the economy, weddings are expensive!
    Tosh said:

If church and state are to be separate in the US, then why the heck has religion got anything to do with their laws?

In the UK gay marriage isn't yet legal, but we have civil partnerships which provides the same legal status as a marriage, but the UK is progressing laws to legalise same-sex marriage.

The only people it seems to upset is the religious.

I don't see that as hard to understand at all.

You're Buddhist. If you were an elected official would you see things through your perceived Buddhist lens? I think so.

Barra

Citta said:

In comparison, yes. But it is far from universally accepted in Thailand. I've personally seen a Thai woman spit on a katooey, and in some schools it is not uncommon for gay students to be bullied and harassed.