Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Sutra Club

2»

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    Looks like the Sutras and Suttas are the core teachings. Given the different traditions represented here, this ought to be a very interesting discussion.
    riverflow
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

Looks like the Sutras and Suttas are the core teachings. Given the different traditions represented here, this ought to be a very interesting discussion.

Unless you are talking about zen which is based on "no words, no sentences" and having zen masters burn the scriptures in the fireplace, and then hit you with a stick :lol:
    BhanteLuckyInvincible_summer
  • I think I'll sit this thread out.
    But I do have my fishing pole at the ready... you know, for when that big ol' can of worms is opened! :hair:
    Invincible_summer
  • Great idea!
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    riverflow said:

I'd be willing to prep things up and do some basic maintenance, certainly. But I'm no expert--I'm just good at setting up self-study programs for myself once I have an overarching idea of how things fit together (whatever the subject matter). My girlfriend and I have listened to lectures together, even written book reports to one another (we're both nerdy that way!).

If the mods give the thumbs up on it, and if everyone else is interested, then count me in. Please, if anyone has any other suggestions, things to add, do the reading in a different order, or anything at all, please give your input. And I welcome having a partner(s) too. I'm not interested in any credit either, this is ultimately a collective venture after all.

Each sutta could have its own thread, with a link to the text. I think a sub-forum might help keep things organised.

Friday nights and Saturdays are (usually) the best days for me, unless I get called into work (which doesn't happen too often). Most of these first suttas are short and I would say two weeks per sutta would be suitable. The longer ones would be a month, or handled so many chapters per two weeks maybe. We can be flexible--not all suttas need to be treated in the exact same way for the exact same length of time.

I really think between all of us here we could all contribute some good insights all around which could help us each in our own personal practice.

Any more thoughts? We implore Thee, O Moderator gods on high to approve of this Noble Quest. What say Thee?

Book reports... hahahaha... that is so nerdy and adorable.

I suppose all we would really need is someone to steer the operation by posting the sutra in the main thread... the rest can just be discussion and thoughts on it.

I don't think timing would really matter all that much since people will just comment when they can. Fri/Sat nights are no good for me (usually work), but Sundays are so I can just comment the next day with my thoughts... no biggie. Not like it's a live chat or anything, you know.

Mods... @federica @lincoln Any thoughts?

I don't know that we'd need a subforum, fyi. We could probably just post it in "Advanced Ideas" ... or... "Buddhism for Beginners"? Lol, I'm not sure. Sutra study is sort of advanced... but we all keep saying we're a bunch of novices... hm.
    riverflow
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    Just start a new topic each month maybe in Advanced Ideas, like "Sutra Club: The Heart Sutra"
    riverflowTosh
  • I suppose... we should start? I'll do as James suggests, under Advanced Ideas, with the Kalama Sutta. I'll post it up (with a link) in just a moment...
    karastiVastmind