Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Are you a hero or do you need a hero?

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran
edited April 2013 in General Banter

Just came across this story. You'd think we had moved beyond this kind of stuff by now. :shake:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/11/sexist-avengers-t-shirts-_n_3063942.html

Invincible_summerVastmind

Comments

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Who comes up with this stuff?

Sort of reminds me of how here in Canada, there are ads for Kinder Surprise that tell us they now have toys "just for girls!"

I remember as a kid eating a lot of Kinder Surprise and building the toys... none of them were particularly geared towards boys. In a strange attempt to be more gender inclusive, they have actually made the product more gendered.

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    Just call me by my real name....... Elastigirl.

"Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so!"
    personnenkohai
  • ewww to all that nonsense!
    nenkohai
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2013
    hm. Interesting how they divided the T-shirts by gender. I'd be the one wearing the "Be A Hero" T-shirt.

It's interesting how Western culture is sexist in that way. In Mongol and Siberian Turkic cultures, there's a tradition of women warriors. Like in Native American culture, too. This is a concept completely lost on most Western cultures. And I'm not sure why. When (and why) did the concept of Amazons become a bad thing? In those eastern cultures, it's a good thing.
    Invincible_summer
  • I like all things Marvel.

So I would wear both.
  • lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    I will be designing but probably not wearing my asexual
    'I am enlightened' T shirt shortly.

No need for heroics or saviours . . . :)