Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Screen name info...share

2»

Comments

• @carolann its nice to meet you ^_^
    I haven't seen you around here much
  • Hello Carolann!
  • carolanncarolann Explorer
    Hi everyone , I just do a lot of loitering I m afraid , learn from the masters lol x
    Kundo
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    I just do a lot of loitering
    ah ha!
    loitering and lurking without intent . . .
    sounds like a plan . . .

:thumbsup:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Vastminds said:

the name I didn't decide to pick...when I joined, I couldn't think of
    anything and I asked hubby...and I though..."I like that!"

Now I wish I would have left off the -s...because it should
    be singular....it's not an 'us' on here...it's a me..
    So....Vastmind(s) it is...hahaha

BTW...good thread ....... :)

@Vastminds - you can get @Lincoln to change it if you want....

Vastmind
  • I have a badly-behaved little rescue dog named Lucy. She had a rough start in life and is now, as a direct consequence, horribly spoiled. Because she'd been abused and starved and treated to who knows what sort of other abuses, I could never bring myself to discipline her. That doesn't stop me from sometimes trying to convince her to "be good." So it is a constant refrain around my house: Lucy, be good! :)

And all this time, I thought you were making a Chuck Berry reference! haha
    Lucy_BegoodDavidKundo
  • I have a badly-behaved little rescue dog named Lucy. She had a rough start in life and is now, as a direct consequence, horribly spoiled. Because she'd been abused and starved and treated to who knows what sort of other abuses, I could never bring myself to discipline her. That doesn't stop me from sometimes trying to convince her to "be good." So it is a constant refrain around my house: Lucy, be good! :)

Hey @Lucy_Begood - have you ever seen a guy called 'The Dog Whisperer' on TV who deals with dogs that have been traumatised? I think he is quite extraordinary.

Lucy_Begood
  • Hi @John_Spencer - yes, I've seen his show and even have several of his books. He is amazing! I wish I had the ability he has to really communicate with dogs.

Lucy is actually not too terribly behaved. Now that she's got plenty of self-confidence, she's just a bit of a loudmouth. Compared to how fearful she was when I first got her, I guess I wouldn't really trade that for anything. She certainly knows how to tell off the neighborhood squirrels!
    riverflowJohn_SpencerJeffrey
  • John_SpencerJohn_Spencer Veteran
    edited May 2013

Hi @John_Spencer - yes, I've seen his show and even have several of his books. He is amazing! I wish I had the ability he has to really communicate with dogs.

Lucy is actually not too terribly behaved. Now that she's got plenty of self-confidence, she's just a bit of a loudmouth. Compared to how fearful she was when I first got her, I guess I wouldn't really trade that for anything. She certainly knows how to tell off the neighborhood squirrels!

If she was fearful and is now confident it sounds like you do have an ability to communicate with dogs!

:)
    riverflowLucy_BegoodKundo
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    Excuse me Sir @Lincoln :vimp: ,

Can you drop the s from my name? So I can be a Vastmind....
    instead of Vastminds.
    I can attest to only having one...not more.

No hurry....Thank-you!
    riverflowSillyPuttyLucy_BegoodBeej
  • Vastminds said:

Excuse me Sir @Lincoln :vimp: ,

Can you drop the s from my name? So I can be a Vastmind....
    instead of Vastminds.
    I can attest to only having one...not more.

No hurry....Thank-you!

Yeh - would be embarassing to drop the wrong 's'.

:)
    VastmindInvincible_summerKundo
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Sabre said:

A sabre is a weapon used in fencing. In fencing people say the French words "en garde", which means, "be on your guard", a way of saying "be mindful". With a sharp sabre one can pierce through things, just like sharp awareness can pierce through the truth.

But to be honest, it just sounded cool. :p

I was just reading about that concept in The Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi.

Aw, drat... I could have sworn the book was right here. I can't remember what he called it exactly but it's just like what you said except the same means are for two entirely different ends... The one sword or something... Doh! Now I'm on a mission.

I bought it thinking it was different than it was. Although it mentions Buddhism, Buddhists pretty much cleaned up whatever mess the swordsmen made and were only useful if wisdom was sought.

Sabre
  • Book of five rings is like the bible of japanese swordsmanship. I have 2 translations of it
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited May 2013
    kashi said:

Book of five rings is like the bible of japanese swordsmanship. I have 2 translations of it

I really do like it on one hand, but it is totally about warring. Highly disciplined stuff and I respect it very much in that regard. I have a little training in gumdo but for some reason I was expecting the philosophy to be more along the lines of the Shaolin.

• @ourself by the way I sent you a private message on here so check your email when you get time
    kashi said:

@ourself by the way I sent you a private message on here so check your email when you get time

Finally got my computer so don't have to hassle with the phone anymore.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2013

Hey @Lucy_Begood - have you ever seen a guy called 'The Dog Whisperer' on TV who deals with dogs that have been traumatised? I think he is quite extraordinary.

Hi @John_Spencer - yes, I've seen his show and even have several of his books. He is amazing! I wish I had the ability he has to really communicate with dogs.

This is seriously off-topic, and as a Moderator, I really should know better, so I apologise from the outset, but - I can't let this pass:

That man is awful.

His methods border on the cruel, and he's not at all popular, here; he came to the UK to try to "Expand his empire" if you like.
    he appeared on a chat-show here - and was absolutely slated for his methods. The audience definitely gave him a rough ride, and i think he was definitely taken aback by British attitudes... he left the show with his tail very much between his legs....
    He also tried to film some programmes in the same vein as he does in the USA and he had to abandon the project because so many dog-owners objected to what he was doing.
    Incidentally, the electronic collar is banned in Wales, and very much frowned upon in most other parts of the UK....

I'm a Dog behaviourist, and I deplore his methods.
    In all my years (20+), I have never had to control a dog by kicking it, pulling its collar so high that it chokes the dog, or by pinning it down.
    it's just completely unnecessary and deplorable....

Apologies for the thread-jack.
    I just feel very strongly about this.
    SillyPuttyInvincible_summerpoptartnenkohai
  • I feel strongly about animals as well. I dont mind that the thred went off topic. I have a papillon who i love very much. She looks like a baby fox
  • riverflowriverflow Veteran
    edited May 2013
    ^ ^ ^
    Or "El Duderino" if you're not into the whole brevity thing....
    BeejLucy_Begood
  • federica said:

This is seriously off-topic, and as a Moderator, I really should know better, so I apologise from the outset, but - I can't let this pass:

That man is awful.

His methods border on the cruel, and he's not at all popular, here; he came to the UK to try to "Expand his empire" if you like.
    he appeared on a chat-show here - and was absolutely slated for his methods. The audience definitely gave him a rough ride, and i think he was definitely taken aback by British attitudes... he left the show with his tail very much between his legs....
    He also tried to film some programmes in the same vein as he does in the USA and he had to abandon the project because so many dog-owners objected to what he was doing.
    Incidentally, the electronic collar is banned in Wales, and very much frowned upon in most other parts of the UK....

I'm a Dog behaviourist, and I deplore his methods.
    In all my years (20+), I have never had to control a dog by kicking it, pulling its collar so high that it chokes the dog, or by pinning it down.
    it's just completely unnecessary and deplorable....

Apologies for the thread-jack.
    I just feel very strongly about this.
    I like this: a moderator with a bit of bite!

:werr:
    Invincible_summer
    Yeah: @Lincoln fixed that for ya..... ;)
    riverflowVastmind
  • John_SpencerJohn_Spencer Veteran
    edited May 2013
    federica said:

While you were busy enforcing your Alpha Mod-Whisperer identity, I pooped in your shoe.

I think of @federica as more like this: http://www.sheepdogsrus.co.uk/

...keeping us safe from our own inner wolves must be difficult sometimes.
    JeffreyKundo
    My title (before the evolution of this website, and when you could add your own title at whim) used to be "Official Forum Tugboat".

Sheepdog fits, though. :)
    John_Spencer
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    poptart said:

Yes, but how does one best control a mod?

I'm known around the internet as The Mod Whisperer, using positive reinforcement and treats to teach good behaviour. Sometimes mods do become vicious and then they need a firm hand, but it's important to always be fair. A properly trained mod is a loyal and loving companion.

lol