Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Novel: A Boxing Buddha

I bought a notebook the other day to brainstorm my ideas in. I am coming up with a novel (one that I wish to be of actual length, not just some short story). This story is going to be mainly based around the life of the Buddha. He is going to be a prince with a strict father, who lives inside the walls of a palace. However, the main difference is that boxing is the most popular sport of the time and it has been a royal tradition, for it is a representation of strength and power. I could talk a lot more, but I just figured I'll wait until I publish it online for free. I really hope you all will read it and help me spread it around. In my mind, it is a very cinematic story worthy of a movie.
MaryAnne

Comments

• I wish you the best with your endeavor, as long as you don't have the Buddha pulling a mike Tyson and bite someone's ear off in the second round of the heavyweight title fight.

I've been kicking around the idea of a graphic novel themed around buddhist historical events. Idk.
  • Have you read "Siddhartha" by Herman Hess?
  • Cinorjer said:

Have you read "Siddhartha" by Herman Hess?

No, why?

• Oh yea that's gonna be required reading for ya
  • Is it about a boxing Buddha? lol
  • No, it's about a young man who is not THE Buddha, but embarks on a journey of enlightenment that is very familiar to anyone who knows the story of Guatama.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited September 2013
    @Vagabond - just keep in mind that while a royal Prince, Siddhartha had not yet become a Buddha.

Or do you intend to have The Buddha actually boxing?
  • This is not going to be about the Buddha, just someone whose story is like the Buddha's.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    ... the Buddha's dad built him a great palace in part because the old man did not want his son going off and becoming a wise man, which was half of the birth prophecy that said he would either be a great ruler/prince or a great buddha/wise man. The father figured a yum-yum lock-down mode was called for. In this sense, the tale of the Buddha might be likened to a jail break.

Will our hero escape from the barred windows of boxing?
  • Yes, but he won't be leaving the palace because he doesn't want to box. He continues with training for some time after he leaves.
  • Vagabond said:

I bought a notebook the other day to brainstorm my ideas in. I am coming up with a novel (one that I wish to be of actual length, not just some short story). This story is going to be mainly based around the life of the Buddha. He is going to be a prince with a strict father, who lives inside the walls of a palace. However, the main difference is that boxing is the most popular sport of the time and it has been a royal tradition, for it is a representation of strength and power. I could talk a lot more, but I just figured I'll wait until I publish it online for free. I really hope you all will read it and help me spread it around. In my mind, it is a very cinematic story worthy of a movie.

I hope you are not rewriting history.
  • DharmaMcBumDharmaMcBum Spacebus Wheelman York, UK Veteran
    You may want to take a wee peek at stories of Bodhidharma. Not too dissimilar in essence to what you're describing as your basic plotline at the moment. Just a thought.
  • As far as I am aware the Buddha is likely to have been trained as a warrior/prince cast member. He would have known the offensive skills of the Shakyamuni 'lineage'. :wave:
    EvenThird
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    lobster said:

As far as I am aware the Buddha is likely to have been trained as a warrior/prince cast member. He would have known the offensive skills of the Shakyamuni 'lineage'. :wave:

I think some of us often forget that part.