Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I have made my peace with the world

This world is a mixture of joy and pain, light and dark, although it is evident that pain and all that is dark often overpowers the rest. The Bad often outweighs the Good things like love, peace, creativity, etc.

I no longer look for light in the midst of shadows. I no longer yearn for love in the middle of this brutal, brutal world. I have come to terms with the truth: that this world is a bed of nails, that we have to wear of crown of thorns. It doesn't matter whether you're Buddhist or Christian, it is true that pain is an ever-present reality even among the so-called well-to-do. There may be occasional flashes of joy or love, but like I said these are few and far between - this world is mostly a house of pain.

I have accepted this fact and no longer expect much from life. What is, is. If life gives me warmth, I will take it. Thank you very much. If life is all heat and fury, I will take that too. I no longer have the strength to resist. I resign myself to fate.

I've made my peace with the world. I suggest you do likewise.

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    edited November 2013
    Baloney.

I am afraid for you. You will be in my meditations.
    Tosh
    Of course, Betaboy likes to be provocative...or is this serious? I am worried.
    MaryAnne
  • Peace with the world is one thing. Peace with yourself, quite another.
    EvenThirdvinlynMaryAnne
  • betaboy said:

Didn't we establish you have clinical depression? I believe you had made peace with that and were involved in treatment?
    As for those worried about your move to the 'dark side'. I actually sense a greater sense of possibility?

Your friend in the Hell realms, Daath Lobster.
    Therapy, medication, exercise . . . and we will return balance to 'The Force'. Long live the Sith.

anataman
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited November 2013
    I'm not sure I like the sounds of this doom and gloom 'resignation' about life, either.
    I'm with @vinlyn on this. I hope you're not having a bit of 'dramatic' fun with us, Betaboy... but just the same-

Here's what I posted in your other thread, @Betaboy, when you told us you were recently diagnosed with bipolar disorder:

".... Eat well, sleep enough, keep healthy, find yourself a good doctor who believes in talk therapy as well as medications to help keep things on an even keel, and be aware of how you feel, day to day.
    The more you know about your condition, the more aware you become about your own ups and downs within it.

Medications always (yes, always) need to be tweaked and/or changed right from the get-go - and many times for a good long time after. Always discuss with your doctor how new dosages or different meds make you feel; no matter how insignificant you may think the changes are.

Remember, there are different levels of function/dysfunction within the diagnosis of "bi-polar disorder". Don't let the diagnosis get you down! You have a great chance to live a HAPPY, full life, all while managing your BPD. "
    JainarayanEvenThirdJeffrey
  • “Life is what happens when you’re busy making other plans” (John Lennon)

A traveler travelled for miles and climbed for days to meet a wise man who could give the definition of happiness on arrival the traveler asked for the secrete of happiness but the wise man was busy so told the traveler to wait for him and have a look around his palace and he would be with him to talk shortly. BUT the wise man gave the traveller a teaspoon with three drips of oil placed on the spoon with the instruction go anywhere in my home but do not spill a drop of oil.

The monk did as he was instructed and waited while walking the halls of the palace inside and out at all times being mindful not to drip a single drop of oil from the spoon. The guru as promised came and met with the traveler and once more the traveler asked for the secrete of happiness.

“Did you walk my palace” asked the wise man “yes” replied the traveler. “Did you see my paintings, the garden with flowers in mid bloom, the array of colours and hear the wild birds sing”? No replied the traveler seeking truth. This is where you go wrong, “the secrete of happiness” said the wise man“is to see the beauty all around you while not spilling the oil”. The monk saw the meaning and went for a second walk through the palace.
    MaryAnneJeffrey
  • MaryAnne said:

Medications always (yes, always) need to be tweaked and/or changed right from the get-go - and many times for a good long time after. Always discuss with your doctor how new dosages or different meds make you feel; no matter how insignificant you may think the changes are.

Remember, there are different levels of function/dysfunction within the diagnosis of "bi-polar disorder". Don't let the diagnosis get you down! You have a great chance to live a HAPPY, full life, all while managing your BPD. "

This is spot on. I've mentioned I am bipolar 2 hypomanic/depressive. It's one of the reasons I can come off as goofy and jovial, or downright snotty, abrasive and nasty. It's so bad sometimes the only thing that keeps me from checking out is the worry about who would take care of my furry kids (2 dogs and cat)... yes attachment causing more dukkha.

For @Betaboy or anyone else struggling with it, even with medications, which I have plenty of :rolleyes: there will always be breakthrough episodes. It is the nature of the disease, and has to be ridden out. You can't let an episode feed on itself and spiral out of control, causing more depression or anxiety. I withdraw and let the storm pass, lest other people irritate me and it gets worse. Hiding out? Yeah.
    MaryAnneEvenThird
  • Believe it or not, this is actually a positive message. I didn't mean to be negative. I am placing value on hope - hope in the afterlife - as opposed to false hope in this present life where there is nothing but disappointment.

I know a lot of people will take potshots at my depression, but that's okay. This isn't depression speaking; it is hope.
    lobster
  • JainarayanJainarayan Veteran
    edited November 2013
    betaboy said:

Believe it or not, this is actually a positive message. I didn't mean to be negative. I am placing value on hope - hope in the afterlife - as opposed to false hope in this present life where there is nothing but disappointment.

I know a lot of people will take potshots at my depression, but that's okay. This isn't depression speaking; it is hope.

"There is always hope." - Aragon, in the 'Two Towers'.

When I almost cried because I couldn't lift a 1 lb dumbell after shoulder surgery, and I used to do side raises with 35 lb dumbells, I thought of this. He lost his arms after being electrocuted working on electrical lines:

I complain about what I can't do because of my injuries, but look at this guy.

[IMG]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=217600&d=1120644781[/IMG] [IMG]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=217597&d=1120644725[/IMG]

Everyone has their own pain, but how badly do we want to overcome it? He lost his arms after being electrocuted working on electric lines.
  • This isn't depression speaking; it is hope.
    :clap:
    That is how I understood it.
    It is not about what others say but your interior movement.
    Hope. Wonderful. :clap:
  • "Believe it or not, this is actually a positive message. I didn't mean to be negative. I am placing value on hope - hope in the afterlife - as opposed to false hope in this present life where there is nothing but disappointment. "

Hmmm... doesn't sound 'positive' to me.
    If I had heard this from a friend whom I knew had suicidal thoughts or attempts (in the past), honestly?... I'd be getting
    a little worried about now.

But you claim it's all positive? Ok then. So be it.

vinlynriverflow
  • The world is beautiful and worthy to be loved, as St John tells us, even with its darkness and any disappointment is only of our own creating. After all, this is the world in which the Buddha chose to gturn the Wheel of Dharma.
    EvenThird
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    howVastmind
  • @MaryAnne
    In this fallen world, depression is inevitable due to circumstances, chemical imbalance, other people, etc. Countless reasons to be depressed or no reason - depression for some could even be a natural state because of their genes, chemical imbalance, etc. Point is, I accept that this earthly life is full of thorns and thistles. I don't live in denial anymore, I don't expect the impossible anymore. I have learned to accept facts - and this gives me peace. And belief in the afterlife gives me hope.

So I may not be jumping about for joy, but I have something more powerful: hope. And this hope is my strength.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited November 2013
    Like Maryanne said keep working with the meds till the depression starts to let up.
    The world is basically neutral about whether you suffer or not. There is no malignant force at work to ruin your life.
    How do I know? Experience. With depression and medication, for myself and many, many others that I know and have known.
    And experience with beauty in nature and in people.
    As a mariner, I see the ocean when it is so beautiful it would make you cry. Half an hour later you might be shitting yourself in a gale. It's only different conditions and how you feel about them. No agenda.
    EvenThirdhowlobsterMaryAnne
  • robot said:

Like Maryanne said keep working with the meds till the depression starts to let up.
    The world is basically neutral about whether you suffer or not. There is no malignant force at work to ruin your life.
    How do I know? Experience. With depression and medication, for myself and many, many others that I know and have known.
    And experience with beauty in nature and in people.
    As a mariner, I see the ocean when it is so beautiful it would make you cry. Half an hour later you might be shitting yourself in a gale. It's only different conditions and how you feel about them. No agenda.

Maybe so, but the bad outweighs the good - we have to face that. That's what the Buddha did.
  • "Maybe so, but the bad outweighs the good - we have to face that. That's what the Buddha did."

The Buddha did quite a bit more than that.

MaryAnneriverflow
    betaboy said:

<
    Maybe so, but the bad outweighs the good - we have to face that. That's what the Buddha did.

First, I don't agree with that.

Second, my philosophy -- quit whining and get on with living.

MaryAnne
  • sova said:

there are four noble truths, not just one.

^^^
    THIS.
  • vinlyn said:

betaboy said:

<

First, I don't agree with that.

Second, my philosophy -- quit whining and get on with living.

Was the Buddha whining? Was Jesus? St. Francis?
    betaboy said:

No, they weren't. And they all got on with life and living...even Jesus, supposedly knowing he was going to be crucified.

• vinlyn said:

betaboy said:

No, they weren't. And they all got on with life and living...even Jesus, supposedly knowing he was going to be crucified.

Yes, they got on with life, but they accepted that there will always be dukkha/tribulation in this world, and peace only in the afterlife.
    Yeah, big deal. That's life.

Frankly, you enjoy suffering. You want to suffer.
  • Buddha believed in an afterlife? What 'self' is moving on to an afterlife?
  • betaboy said:

vinlyn said:

betaboy said:

Yes, they got on with life, but they accepted that there will always be dukkha/tribulation in this world, and peace only in the afterlife.
    The 4nt clearly point to a path away from suffering in this life. If you think that going to the grave clinging to your suffering is the path, you have gotten mixed up somehow.
    Have you considered starting back at the beginning?
    There are a number of threads listing books to look into.
    vinlynEvenThirdriverflow
  • betaboy said:

. . . but they accepted that there will always be dukkha/tribulation in this world, and peace only in the afterlife.

. . . meanwhile, how best to live this troubled life and for those not dealing with depression, joyful or [insert present fleeting mood moment]?

. . . find the good, better, hope, help required?

Are we all aiming for peace and happiness whilst living, even the Buddha . . . ? :wave:
  • People, for the last time I am not saying we should purposely suffer or that we must cling to suffering under we reach the grave. No matter how we feel or what we do, dukkha is a fact of life which even the Buddha acknowledged.

Most people think the buddhist path is a cure for this dukkha - meaning the path will make the sorrow vanish. That's not entirely correct. The path will make the sorrow more manageable, that's all. There is no magic cure - sorrow is here to stay until we die. In fact, death itself is a great dukkha for some.

So all I am saying is, let us not have false hopes that the buddhist path or the christian path (or any path) will make the sorrow vanish. It won't.
    Jeffrey
    Okay, I think most of us can agree with that.

But that's not what you said in the OP.
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    I've had terrible depression. The kind where everyone else knows I'm depressed while I'm clueless (read: numb). Antidepressants, therapy, wash rinse repeat. So I'm in therapy . . . again . . . and a few new tricks of the trade actually make a dent in some very old conditioning, I experience the difference, a lightness in my life. Yet . . . the news (Syria, mainly); then work. I found my patient dead in his bathroom, saw him 15 minutes before asking for apple juice. I just talked to his sister telling her 'he's doing great!'.

In the therapist's office, I'm sobbing (I hate crying period, hate crying in front of others worse) because it is just.all.too.effing.SAD.

She asks me what my spiritual beliefs are, and I reply I'm kind of a Buddhist, more than anything else. She mentions my attachment to the pain of the world, and I told her 'No, it is attached to ME. I don't want it, I'm trying to get away from it." She smiled.

I went home, and sometime later during the day, I stood in the middle of my place frozen in shock, for I had been given the unasked for gift of SEEING just how firmly, fiercely and doggedly I was holding onto the pain. I got this image of myself, like a cartoon, of me running desperately away from something I was holding onto. I remembered my goose Lila (sister to Lilly) who got bail twine wrapped around her leg and was trying to run away from it.

I started meditating a few days later, and though it's not been long, that little crack let a lot of light in.

Pain is a kind of love, pain causes us to move away to safety, the urge to fix or soothe whether we can or not. Same for fear. Neither are completely evil bad bugaboos. Yeah, that's getting real non-dual. But still. Stay brave, Betaboy :)

Gassho
    LG
    riverflowMaryAnne
  • Pain is a kind of love
    Strange but true.
    Now what? Eight fold path anyone?

Dukkha is not incidentally just sorrow, misery, gloom and suffering. A better translation (thus have I heard) is unsatisfactory, discontent, stress
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dukkha
    MaryAnne
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    edited November 2013
    betaboy said:

This world is a mixture of joy and pain, light and dark, although it is evident that pain and all that is dark often overpowers the rest. The Bad often outweighs the Good things like love, peace, creativity, etc.

I no longer look for light in the midst of shadows. I no longer yearn for love in the middle of this brutal, brutal world. I have come to terms with the truth: that this world is a bed of nails, that we have to wear of crown of thorns. It doesn't matter whether you're Buddhist or Christian, it is true that pain is an ever-present reality even among the so-called well-to-do. There may be occasional flashes of joy or love, but like I said these are few and far between - this world is mostly a house of pain.

I have accepted this fact and no longer expect much from life. What is, is. If life gives me warmth, I will take it. Thank you very much. If life is all heat and fury, I will take that too. I no longer have the strength to resist. I resign myself to fate.

You can make peace with the world in many ways. One way is- When you realise that the world is dark, you light a lamp, not just to light up your life but the life of others who probably are in the same boat, living in the dark and wallowing in self-pity. When you yearn for love, others may too. While others can't give you love, most probably you can give others your love especially when you are not blind enough to see their yearnings. Buddhist or Christians, we are all humans and have the same need. We are all living in a house of pain and together, we can do some 'housecleaning' to make the house of pain bearable and liveable. In this world, you may come across many houses of pain but there are also many houses where human rules and love and understanding is aplenty. You don't have to resign to your fate.
    vinlyn
  • EvenThirdEvenThird NYC Veteran
    @Betaboy
    I was studying today, and was reminded of this thread.
    Does any of this resonate with you?

In the LAM TSO NAM SUM, (3 Principal Paths) the first path is NGEN JUNG; or renunciation. Sometimes explained as "disgust with life, with the suffering that life entails" or "disillusionment with life(and all it entails)"

This is considered the first of three steps necessary for enlightenment. It sounds negative but is in fact a very important and positive realization. Is this perhaps what you meant when you said you made your peace through accepting that things are often bad? Or am I far off the mark?
    betaboy
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    "The buddha did not change the world, he made peace with the conditions in it".
    betaboy
  • EvenThird said:

@Betaboy
    I was studying today, and was reminded of this thread.
    Does any of this resonate with you?

In the LAM TSO NAM SUM, (3 Principal Paths) the first path is NGEN JUNG; or renunciation. Sometimes explained as "disgust with life, with the suffering that life entails" or "disillusionment with life(and all it entails)"

This is considered the first of three steps necessary for enlightenment. It sounds negative but is in fact a very important and positive realization. Is this perhaps what you meant when you said you made your peace through accepting that things are often bad? Or am I far off the mark?

Something like that. But I am more of a Christian incorporating Buddhist principles (rather than a Buddhist), so my view of the eventual destination is a little bit different.
    Jayantha said:

"The buddha did not change the world, he made peace with the conditions in it".

Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that he changed the world without intending to.

I don't really think he changed the world. I think what he did do is summed up with the whole " those with little dust in their eyes would be lost for not hearing the dhamma". He was able to find a path for some few seekers in the future to follow to their own liberation. He did what he did for the benefit of all beings, fully knowing that they have to do it themselves.

the human(and probably all beings in all the world systems) condition remains the same as it has since well before the time of the Buddha, and the four ennobling truths and dhamma is there, for the few who wish to truly follow them. I can't rightly see how he truly changed the world though.
    edited November 2013
    Let's, for the sake of debate, eliminate Buddha entirely. You don't think that would have changed world history? I can only speak from the perspective I have seen in Southeast Asia, including Burma, Thailand, Malaysia, and Indonesia (as well as the other SE Asian nations I didn't visit. You would have had a much larger Hindu framework. And of course, Buddhism is dominant in other parts of Asia, as well.
    edited November 2013
    Im not sure if I'll be able to put my perspective in the right words, but here goes. If you are looking at it through a lens of culture and society perhaps. I'm thinking specifically from the Buddha as a living person teaching in his own time as opposed to what people have done with it as it became a culturally based religion.

I'm not exactly sure in my limited knowledge that the Buddha was trying to create "Buddhist countries". I also don't see how Buddhism as a cultural and religious phenomenon is any different then hinduism or any other religion. so in that regard would the world REALLY be any different had the buddha not existed?

the real difference is the uniqueness of his message(self reliance) and the path to freedom, which has little to do with what "buddhism" as a whole has become today.

so in that regard especially he really didn't change anything, except for a small few who can follow the path now, and those who will reach that point in the future.
    I indicated previously that Buddha unintentionally changed the world.

Suggest you read the history of just the relationship between the Khmer and the ancestral Thais. Would have changed the whole history of SE Asia.

But, you are entitled to your world viewpoint, as well.
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    Is this a depressive website - Yes or No.

My wife and I met an old couple on our honeymoon 15 years ago - and we have been in contact ever since. However, the 'jewish ' feminine has always suffered from depression and despite our efforts - she a does not wish to engage in our life - although us and our children would see it in a different light - apparently ash spends most nights playing ANGRY BIRDS or some other INANE game on her smartphone - she does not awnt to engage anymore .await your response`!!! with trepidation±