Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Self Esteem

This coming year i am going to dedicate a year to improving my self esteem, once i have done this i will hopefully be in a better happier place, have better more healthy relationships with others and finally once i have mastered myself i want to dedicate my time to helping others with their low self esteem issues. i could right a book on why i am doing this but i would rather not lets just say 23 years of mostly negative reinforcement of who i am and many masdive hutdles to jump. The past year i have dabbled in it and made minor changes but these have only been temporary. So what i would like to ask does anybody have any wisdom, workbook recommendations etc or would someone like to join me on my self improvement journey and maybe we can confer our journey notes lol. Any input would be very much treasured, i am sick to death of my negative thoughts so i am taking the powerback lol. Thank you for your time and to all those who celebrate it i hope you had a verry merry christmas.

Peace out
lobstercvalue

Comments

• Good plan.

I wish you every success. I find positive feedback by reprogramming the subconscious can be helpful. You should be able to find hypnosis DVD's that are useful.

Good luck :)
    Wisdom23cvalue
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2013
    alright.. I have to :P

"no-self esteem"

also, ever thought about a blog? my blog is basically a place to post dhamma and my occasional insights and experiences. I'd follow you're blog. here is mine

http://jayantha.tumblr.com/

I know a young monastic, just starting out, who is being encouraged to journal and post things like this, a blog is a pretty good thing, even if you are the only one who ever reads it.
    lobsterWisdom23cvalue
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    You might consider getting a little professional help. I had a bit of a crisis following my Dad's death a few years ago and at my mediation Mentor's suggestion I got together with a counselor with Buddhist sympathies (although not a Buddhist herself) and having a kind, objective shoulder to lean on for a couple months was a big help.

You can try to work through it yourself and you can be successful with it. I've found that if self-esteem is a problem, it's good to identify what ways low self-esteem manifests iteslef and work from there. Many times it's habitual patterns of thought and reaction. Find the cause and break the pattern. Kind like quitting smoking. In the absence of what triggers or indulges your low self-esteem you can better learn to actually like yourself.

That said, I still highly recommend some help.
    lobsterWisdom23Jeffreycvalue
  • This requires permanently changing your thinking habits. This won't happen overnight but requires time, persistence, discipline and awareness. The first step is becoming aware of automatic negative thoughts (ANTS). The second step is to get rid of them one by one. We do this by telling our mind to STOP when you become aware when your stuck in ANT thinking, you have to consiously tell your mind that you don't want it there, that it isn't healthy. At first you probably won't be able to stop ANTs on your own so you need a distraction when they occur. Scientifically the best way is to sing along with your favorite song. It instantly shifts focus from thought to sound and speech. Notice that these are tactics to permanently change negative thoughts into rational ones and it takes persistence and a lot of repetition untill you'll see results. It took me about a few months of breaking the habits until I really saw major positive changes. BTW I really recommend looking into CBT
    lobsterJeffreycvalue
  • Shame & Acceptance
    So think of yourself as a craftsman. And learn to develop a skillful sense of shame, self-esteem, judgement, acceptance, and non-acceptance: learning with practice which things are skillful to accept, which things are not skillful to accept, so that you can develop mastery in what you're doing.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I think a question to ask is, are my negative self-esteem issues a problem of my perceptions, or are they based on reality. The former you have to learn to dismiss. The latter you need to work on changing reality, which of course is tougher.
    Wisdom23Jeffreycvalue
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    All of us are just expressions of karmic inertia birthed of issues of self delusion.
    All views of self, whether pleasing or not, are predicated on our assumption that there is a self to be had.
    I only mention this to point out that in considering the issues of self esteem,
    where the world concerns itself with endless manifestations of self,
    the Buddhist path toward sufferings end simply describes how to let go of it.
    GuiJeffreycvalue
  • GuiGui Veteran
    Concepts of ourselves are just concepts. So does it really matter if they are positive concepts or negative concepts? It only matters to our self-definition which we mistakenly think is permanent self. Why not just cut to the quick, so to speak?
    howJeffrey
  • GuiGui Veteran
    I think reality is a main aspect of what I'm trying to get at. Or should we be more concerned with our feelings? Feelings matter as much as we let them matter, anyway. IMO.
    Wisdom23
  • how said:

the Buddhist path toward sufferings end simply describes how to let go of it.

That's only true for the end of the path. For instance, the Mahanama sutta is explicitly about fostering a positive sense of self. As Ajaan Brahm says in the talk linked above, you have to learn about dependent origination by giving birth to pleasant self-identities before you learn to drop the process of dependent origination altogether.
    lobsterHamsakacvalue
    vinlyn said:

Gui said:

Concepts of ourselves are just concepts. So does it really matter if they are positive concepts or negative concepts? It only matters to our self-definition which we mistakenly think is permanent self. Why not just cut to the quick, so to speak?

Considering the number of people who have lived depressed lives or even committed suicide, I don't think considering them just concepts that don't really matter is unrealistic. And while Buddhism may be about letting go of things, it's also about being realistic.

Absolutely right!

It's all well and good to say that our feelings and emotions are "just concepts" and empty and therefore don't matter, but this only applies to the phenomena in an absolute sense. In a relative sense, all these things that bother us, like with the OP, are very real. They should be dealt with accordingly. That's why rather than say he should just get on a cushion and let go of whatever's bothering him, I said to get some counseling. Talk it out.

There are very few among us who can mediate their emotional issues away.

Why do you think Naropa offers post-grad coursework in congnitive psychology?
    lobsterJeffreyHamsakacvalue
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @fivebells
    I know/ I've read that too/I just see the process of letting go as an integeral part of the entire path, rather than an end bonus value.
    Jeffreycvalue
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Chaz said:

vinlyn said:

Gui said:

Considering the number of people who have lived depressed lives or even committed suicide, I don't think considering them just concepts that don't really matter is unrealistic. And while Buddhism may be about letting go of things, it's also about being realistic.

Absolutely right!

It's all well and good to say that our feelings and emotions are "just concepts" and empty and therefore don't matter, but this only applies to the phenomena in an absolute sense. In a relative sense, all these things that bother us, like with the OP, are very real. They should be dealt with accordingly. That's why rather than say he should just get on a cushion and let go of whatever's bothering him, I said to get some counseling. Talk it out.

There are very few among us who can mediate their emotional issues away.

Why do you think Naropa offers post-grad coursework in congnitive psychology?
    You just agreed with me on something. Get in your car and drive to urgent care or the emergency room immediately.

MaryAnneChazcvalue
  • ^^ Hit the Life Alert button!! ;)
    Chaz
    vinlyn said:

You just agreed with me on something. Get in your car and drive to urgent care or the emergency room immediately.

Will wonders never cease??

But it's true. The OP needs some help. All the talk about medatative stuff, and letting go, and relative vs. absolute, is really pointless in his case. If he already has a strong practice that can help, but that's not indicated. Better to get professional help. You can even get a counselor with Buddhist leanings if not actually Buddhist. I know several in my area. Naraopa in Boulder cranks out a few more every year. Not a single one I know would EVER recommend "letting go".

It's not the sort of thing you do on your own.

As an aside - The curriculum at Naropa was directed and inspired by Chogyam Trungpa. I've always thought it sad that he didn't take advantage of that program in his personal life. We might still have a great teacher among us.

You can lead a horse to water I guess .......

lobstercvalue
  • Wow.
    Varied and hopefully helpful advice. :)
    Sort ego first. You will be unable to practice if not mostly stable, relatively normal etc. Just the way it is. You CAN do both concurrently. Stabiles the emotional well being AND find its real nature/reality.

We are mostly Buddhist. We have the technology. :wave:
    Toshcvalue
  • Woah93 said:

This requires permanently changing your thinking habits. This won't happen overnight but requires time, persistence, discipline and awareness. The first step is becoming aware of automatic negative thoughts (ANTS). The second step is to get rid of them one by one. We do this by telling our mind to STOP when you become aware when your stuck in ANT thinking, you have to consiously tell your mind that you don't want it there, that it isn't healthy. At first you probably won't be able to stop ANTs on your own so you need a distraction when they occur. Scientifically the best way is to sing along with your favorite song. It instantly shifts focus from thought to sound and speech. Notice that these are tactics to permanently change negative thoughts into rational ones and it takes persistence and a lot of repetition untill you'll see results. It took me about a few months of breaking the habits until I really saw major positive changes. BTW I really recommend looking into CBT

That sounds like a good technique for dealing with psychotic voices. I will report back should it work. Thanks @Whoa93
    Hamsakacvalue
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2013
    I listen to this song when I am sad.. (find the music that resonates you)

It shows me that I need to give myself a break when all the while I am thinking of what I am not doing and what I do not live up to. When I am down on myself.
  • Also 'poor me' is just layers of thought. It's not real, rather it is just a projection like a movie projection. But really you are just at your computer looking. Sense consciousness. Manos "I" consciousness with seeds always coming up from alaya and blooming.

If you can smile at each seed it could be very liberated.

What do I know?
    Wisdom23cvalue
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Wisdom23 said:

This coming year i am going to dedicate a year to improving my self esteem...

Have you tried the metta bhavana practice?
    See here for example: http://www.wildmind.org/metta/introduction/outline
  • Wisdom23 said:

This coming year i am going to dedicate a year to improving my self esteem, once i have done this i will hopefully be in a better happier place, have better more healthy relationships with others and finally once i have mastered myself i want to dedicate my time to helping others with their low self esteem issues. i could right a book on why i am doing this but i would rather not lets just say 23 years of mostly negative reinforcement of who i am and many masdive hutdles to jump. The past year i have dabbled in it and made minor changes but these have only been temporary. So what i would like to ask does anybody have any wisdom, workbook recommendations etc or would someone like to join me on my self improvement journey and maybe we can confer our journey notes lol. Any input would be very much treasured, i am sick to death of my negative thoughts so i am taking the powerback lol. Thank you for your time and to all those who celebrate it i hope you had a verry merry christmas.

Peace out

I just know of Science and Mathematics workbook. As for self improvement, I just have to live life and through trial and error, become a better person. I am still bungling but that's just as well. It is better than being dead. I want to live yet.
    Wisdom23
  • Thank you all for your input much appriciated. I have had a lovely past few days trying to view things from a more positive view point lol wishing all a hapoy new year
    MaryAnnelobster
  • Wisdom23, have you ever read the "Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle?

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    I must have heard or read this ten times . . . the Dalai Llama was answering questions from an audience in the US and when someone asked him what to do about self-hatred, he had no idea what 'self-hatred' meant. He said later he was sure his translator has misinterpreted the question. He expressed bewilderment at how a person could dislike their own self. "Aren't we all of Buddha nature?" was his puzzled response.

Self dislike (and self esteem, as a desirable outcome) might only be a meaningful concept in the West. When I was in nursing school, I remember reading that the 'sense of self' was very different in Occidental (western?) culture than in Oriental culture. 'Self' in the Orient is much more inclusive of other people, particularly family. What one does reflects not just on the individual but upon the whole family, and decisions are made more in a group-like manner. The family is revered and honored, thus the sense of 'self' shares in that honor and reverence *and* lies within a group context. A person's personhood is not confined to the outline of a single body. In Occidental culture, individuality and independence is the emphasis, and thanks to the preponderance of Judeo-Christianity's distrust of the body and inherently sinful nature we are born with, the individual 'self' of the westerner is distrusted and always falling short of the mark, never good enough.

So what IS self-esteem, if it doesn't exist as an issue for half of the human population? Maybe only a cultural thing? Well, OK, it's a relative truth, and there's no doubt that it is important, especially considering the suffering of self hatred.

What *I am* (and y'all of course) is above reproach, and so far beyond petty human judgment that its 'worth' is infinite. Whether I like mySELF or not, the worth and value is untouched. We are Buddha Nature, beneath all the nonsense :)

Perhaps what we suffer over is just our unquestioned, personal additions to the 'self' that accumulate thanks to culture and misperception. How can a person dislike themself if they are Buddha Nature? I get the Dalai Llama's consternation!

Gassho :)
    lobsterInvincible_summer
  • @AllbuddhaBound
    well said.

Knowing and accepting oneself AS A FAILURE, whatever ones achievements is very liberating.

I did this.
    I did that.
    I die.

That is life. When do we start?
    :p