Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is it wrong to lust?

Wrong ... not only like a sin but unskillful etc.

Did the Buddha (not buddhist scholars but the Big B himself) say anything specifically about lusting - that we shouldn't look at women, think about them etc.? Or was he liberal in this respect ... cuz he understood it was virtually impossible to control lust for beautiful women?

I need his words, at least something close to this matter. Thanks.

Comments

• Trungpa said that no thought deserves a gold star or a sanction..

On the other hand lust is lust. It has an effect on the mind.

So if I have lust in meditation I just let it be.

If I have lust for a co-worker or something then I just let it be.

What else can you do other than remove your hormone producing regions?
  • What else can you do other than remove your hormone producing regions?
    Don't try this at home . . .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skoptsy

I am thinking 'castration of the mouth' may help my 'right speech' efforts . . . :buck:
    jaesean
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    The Buddha's third precept covers it.
    Kamesu micchacara veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami, "I undertake the course of training in refraining from wrong-doing in respect of sensuality." Some lay people who, usually for a specified period, undertake more than the usual five precepts, take this one in the stricter form: Abrahmacariya veramani..., which commits them, for the duration of the undertaking, to observe the same restraint as the monks.
    From here.

His words, AND something close to this matter.

Read and enjoy.
    anatamanZero
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited January 2014
    We don't do right and wrong. It is dangerous to get caught up in sexual lust because lust is another way of saying strong desire, and desires motivate our actions and lead to suffering. Look at the scandals that have caught even our elevated Buddhist Masters who thought they were above such things, and sexual lust is always a factor.

But lust is such a broad term that like the word desire or suffering, it can lead to people thinking all thoughts of a sexual nature are bad and the biological urge to merge must be eliminated from your life. I'm not talking about the desire for an orgasm. There are drugs and surgery and if nothing else the effects of old age that can eliminate that urge. Certainly, stopping all desire for sex would make it easier to obey the Precepts and eliminate one hindrance, wouldn't it?

But the lust that is dangerous is a state of mind that finds an outlet where it can and infects all of our desires. What do you cut off the body to stop the lust for power? How do you stop the lust for revenge? The scandals of the Buddhist Masters were as much about the lust for power as sexual desire.

To lust is to let the natural desires rule the mind. Those that teach we can eliminate all natural desires are fooling you. That's like saying you can eliminate all thoughts. Instead of wrestling with the Ox, you have to tame it, and then ride it first. After that, what? Who is the Ox, really?

And now I've definitely succumbed to preaching the Zen which to anyone who doesn't practice this way only confuses. If anyone has read this far, I apologize for wandering off into left field.

It's an American holiday where we honor a true hero who died too soon. The children have a day off from school but I have to go to work. Have a nice day!
    VastmindseanS_Mouse
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    betaboy said:

I need his words, at least something close to this matter. Thanks.

See here: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn08/sn08.004.than.html
    Zero
  • Good advice, everyone, but it is often instinctive - hence the problem. At least other desires are simply learned behaviors, so some sort of control or mindfulness may help. But is there a solution to instinct?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    No.
    Lust is never instinctive.
    Lust is programmed into us.....

Sexual desire, is an inherent trait, not an instinct. Every animal on the planet has the inherent trait to reproduce.
    It is we, as humans, who have added so many different facets and clouded the original objective with so many layers of extraneous baggage.
    Lust is one of them.
  • It's not instinctive, it is a behavior we learn from modeling others and from the pleasure it brings us, and it can be unlearned with sufficient determination. At least that is the Buddha's theory. I still have sex with my wife, so I'm not exemplary.
  • More hot not-on-Ananda action:
    Then Ven. Ananda approached the nun and, on arrival, sat down on a prepared seat. As he was sitting there, he said to the nun: "This body, sister, comes into being through food. And yet it is by relying on food that food is to be abandoned.

"This body comes into being through craving. And yet it is by relying on craving that craving is to be abandoned.

"This body comes into being through conceit. And yet it is by relying on conceit that conceit is to be abandoned.

"This body comes into being through sexual intercourse. Sexual intercourse is to be abandoned. With regard to sexual intercourse, the Buddha declares the cutting off of the bridge.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited January 2014
    And there it is.
    If you are going to follow the Sutrayana thats where the bar is set...
    No kidding yourself that you can lead a normal sexual married life without putting back your awakening by a hundreds of lifetimes..because you can't.

Hence the Vajrayana...
    Cinorjer
  • anandoanando Explorer
    Hi,
    the rule ist to be sexual celibacy. The exeption of the rule is: If you can´t hold back, please don´t have sexual intercouse with married women.
    G.Buddho had, as a prince, 40 ladies in his harem.
    He says also that sex is the law of common people.
    On one hand is our biological, hormonal constitution and on the second hand there is
    the sexual socialization. This educational part want´s to urge it´s sight of view upon
    you, to reproduce yourself.
    There are different levels of testorerones and the one who have less of them are not
    that much bothered with it. If more testosterones are urging your mind on women and sex, all you can do is watching these thought and feeling come and go in meditation.
    Look at women as they really are, not with that lot of testosternes in your eyes and mind. It can take a long time to get rid of the socialized sexfeelings- and thoughts
    but getting older might decrease the pressure of hormones.

sakko
  • @Citta, I think that's why Mahayana is much more prevalent than Theravada. Telling adherents that sex is totally OK is a huge advantage in terms of proliferation and conversion. Personally, I try to value ideas in terms how they clarify my thinking and improve my life or behavior rather than the extent of their proliferation, though. I'd much rather acknowledge the problems in my life and work on doing better than pretend that everything's OK.
    Cinorjer
  • Reminds me of the Shaker colonies here in the USA. One of the dozen or so utopian societies that people tried out briefly. The Shakers were known for their liberal, egalitarian, democratic ideals where men and women were treated equally, all property belonged to the community, etc. Unfortunately they believed and practiced strict sexual abstinence so eventually they simply died out, without children to inherit the farm so to speak.

And here is where our modern Buddhist approach has to look at the traditional structure of old monks preaching celibacy as necessary for spiritual advancement, yet supported by a lay community happily perform nature's law of making babies for a new generation, and shake our heads. Not gonna fly in today's world. The Catholic church demands that their Priests be celibate, but even they don't preach that the lay members aren't going to Heaven because they have fun between the sheets.

VastmindCitta
  • fivebells said:

@Citta, I think that's why Mahayana is much more prevalent than Theravada. Telling adherents that sex is totally OK is a huge advantage in terms of proliferation and conversion. Personally, I try to value ideas in terms how they clarify my thinking and improve my life or behavior rather than the extent of their proliferation, though. I'd much rather acknowledge the problems in my life and work on doing better than pretend that everything's OK.

Which is of course only an issue at all if you see sexuality for lay people as a 'problem '..
    I suspect that many people with a friendly warm sex life characterised by mutual regard would say that it was indeed OK.
    No pretending needed.
    DharmaMcBum
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran
    edited January 2014

Lust leads to grasping (if you know what I mean) ;)

And grasping may sometimes lead to premature enlightenment? ;)
    ....Er..... No.
    how
  • From the Buddha's perspective, my friendly warm sex life is most definitely a problem. :)
    vinlyn
  • fivebells said:

From the Buddha's perspective, my friendly warm sex life is most definitely a problem. :)

How can you be anything but conflicted ?
    You are attempting to live by the social mores of an ancient civilisation that internalised the idea of sexuality as unclean , impure and a harbinger of catastrophy..that idea was common in the Subcontinent among all of its indigenous religions ...Jainism, Vedanta and Buddhism.
    The Vajrayana was not merely a populist reaction. It was a recognition of the need to bring sexuality into the spotlight of openness and to utilise its drive not to be reduced by it to repression and to fear of it.

Jeffrey
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    :eek: I have no sex life, not even with myself. It troubled me a tiny bit (I mean, NO sex life???) until NOW. :clap:

I have every other hindrance in abundance and in alternate manifestations, just in case anyone gets the impression I am tooting my own horn here.

But DAYUM, am I lucky or what? The way this thread is going, the 'simple' lack of sexual gratification will hasten me toward Awakening faster than anything else. This can't be true. Sexual gratification (simple, non-wrongdoing, non-lustful, mutually respectful) can't be more important, surrendered, than stealing or lying.

Gassho :)
    VastmindCinorjer
  • Who needs a sex life if you can actually toot your own horn...?

Actually the fact is that some perfectly happy well adjusted people have little or no sex drive...its just become a taboo to admit to it.
    But as you say Hamsaka it does not mean anything one way or another as far as awakening goes.
    HamsakaBunks
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited January 2014
    What about your 'lust' for Knowledge. You don't have to be married or have excessive testosterone to be grasping around forever with that one do you. What about your social intercourse, don't you get emotionally and even physically caught up in them in the same way as you do with "LUST".

Come on this is the middle way - Sex can be happy, pleasurable and enjoyable with your partner or spouse, or yourself LOL, as can reading a good sutra, or a newbuddhist thread. You've just got to be mindful when you are doing it. It's all just an illusion isn't it? Don't let all those misleading beliefs lead you astray, and let the lust just fall away.

Dedicate all the lustful feelings you have felt at the end of your little intercourse or night-time read to the enlightenment of all beings, then you might be free to continue without regret.

CinorjerVastmindTheswingisyellow
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited January 2014
    The thing is, if you look at history and world religions, it's not like Buddhism is anything unique in struggling with the subject of sex and how or if to fit a sex life into a spiritual life. The religious rules usually end up trying to restrict and control it in some way, with varying degrees of success.

For all the talk about the "Middle Way", Buddhism started off and continues to be a religion wrapped around renunciation. A religion which has its Noble Truth that "desires are bad and to be eliminated" cannot be practiced without rejecting a lot of what is considered normal human behavior.

Not that it's a bad thing. "Normal" human behavior includes a lot of stuff that makes us miserable and hurt each other. It's to Buddhism's credit that it pretty much leaves the lay population alone except for a handful of rules about avoiding the worst of excesses. On the other hand, current Buddhist cultures aren't the examples of enlightened philosophy that we'd hope for, if our religion is actually the lifeline for humanity we'd like it to be. The temples aren't even the oasis of enlightenment we'd prefer, sometimes.

Just something to think about. And somehow I wandered way off topic, didn't I?
    @Cinorjer In my recent thread on addiction and renunciation, much was commented on addiction, but little on renunciation. To wander off slightly as well, what I understand is that in terms of the 4NT and suffering we are to 'renounce the self, it's the cause of our suffering - self evident truth; when we have done that, what is there then to renounce thereafter? Funny that, because I can't go beyond that little step to anything of substance. Perhaps you could enlighten me on what else needs to be renounced? Food, Air, Water, Light, all the other wanderers in Samsara? Compassion?.
  • anataman said:

@Cinorjer In my recent thread on addiction and renunciation, much was commented on addiction, but little on renunciation. To wander off slightly as well, what I understand is that in terms of the 4NT and suffering we are to 'renounce the self, it's the cause of our suffering - self evident truth; when we have done that, what is there then to renounce thereafter? Funny that, because I can't go beyond that little step to anything of substance. Perhaps you could enlighten me on what else needs to be renounced? Food, Air, Water, Light, all the other wanderers in Samsara? Compassion?.

I think in the end, the hardest thing for me to renounce was the idea that there is such a thing as a perfect life, a perfect world, some way of life or set of rules that would eliminate mistakes in my life, or some magic state of mind I could reach that would fill my world with only beauty and peace. I had to "kill the Buddha." I think that was the true start to my spiritual journey.

But I don't know what it takes for other people.
    anatamanVastmindTheswingisyellowRowan1980
    Sounds like you have embraced the buddhist philosophy with a true heart, and now possess a fundamental basis on which to progress through this imperfect life with equanimity. Nice lesson! Thanks for sharing this with us all. :bowdown:
    federica said:

Sexual desire, is an inherent trait, not an instinct. Every animal on the planet has the inherent trait to reproduce.

I'd have thought sexual desire is an instinct?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instinct
    betaboy said:

But is there a solution to instinct?

Don't be ruled by them.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Citta said:

How can you be anything but conflicted ?

Life is full of conflicts. I value keeping them out in the open to reduce the risk of them blindsiding me.
    Citta said:

You are attempting to live by the social mores of an ancient civilisation that internalised the idea of sexuality as unclean , impure and a harbinger of catastrophy..that idea was common in the Subcontinent among all of its indigenous religions ...Jainism, Vedanta and Buddhism.
    The Vajrayana was not merely a populist reaction. It was a recognition of the need to bring sexuality into the spotlight of openness and to utilise its drive not to be reduced by it to repression and to fear of it.

I'd be interested to read a historical analysis supporting these claims.

I don't think the Buddha saw sex this way, it was more that lust makes it hard to settle down into effective states of concentration, and that sex leads to childbirth, which is miserable and all-consuming for both parents and child.

Also, if you take the middle way, there is no repression or fear, there is simple acknowledgement of the conflict, and that there is still work to be done. The closest thing to outright conflict from my attitude is my wife's fear that I might ordain (not likely, as I am still strongly attached to sex, money and intellectual masturbation. :) )
  • So you have sex but you are conflicted about it and your wife fears that you are going to ordain ?
    You see having children as miserable and time consuming ?

I don't think that is the middle way. I think that is a pretty good description of hinayana.

• Yes, I am conflicted, and my wife fears that the trajectory I'm on leads to ordination. It might not be the middle way in your definition of it (Not the definition in the hinayana Pali canon, I presume :) ) but at least it's honest and I'm working to find a peaceful way through. It's better than pretending that everything's perfect and carrying on in resignation and willful ignorance.
    Jeongjwa
  • Pretending is not a good idea. Full stop.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Sex is part of what we are, it's why we are here. No worse than eating ......a meal. If I grasp at either, both can cause big issues.
    The idea that we should toss aside all that MAY potentially bind us is ludicrous. My grasping or non-grasping can apply to anything in life, my speech, my emotions, my body, my mind ect..... Am I being mindful? What is my intent and does it spring from goodwill, joy, compassion and love?
    Yik_Yis_Yii
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited January 2014
    I agree @Theswingisyellow, but there is a proportion of Buddhists who are unable to distinguish between the essentials of Dharma and the psychocultural norms prevalent at the time of Shakyamuni.
    Its exactly like trying to have a conversation about cosmology with someone who insists that the cosmological view found in the Pali Canon as described by the Buddha is ontological truth.
    In other words that the Earth is circled by a vast ocean. which is the origin of earthquakes, and that the universe has a gigantic mountain at its centre..
    It might seem unlikely that modern educated people should hold such views...but they do.
    In the same way there are people who refuse to see that some of the Buddha's views are the product of his time and culture. And that includes a negative view of sexuality. A view which persists in the Subcontinent to this day, and which is the actual source of the hostility often found towards women.
    CinorjerTheswingisyellow
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Each one of us need only look at any of our own "lusts" held up to the light of the 4NT to see what is true or not.
    HamsakaVastmind
    @fivebells said: 'I don't think the Buddha saw sex this way, it was more that lust makes it hard to settle down into effective states of concentration, and that sex leads to childbirth, which is miserable and all-consuming for both parents and child.'

I disagree, when my wife and I made a commitment out of love for each other when we chose to get married we discussed children and welcomed them into our lives. We knew there would be challenges, but we believed we would overcome them together and whilst the challenges have been sometimes overwhelming, I wouldn't call it any more miserable and all-consuming than the life we had before children. In fact it probably made us appreciate how selfish we had really been and moderated our behaviors and brought our excesses under control. Truly knowing that someone is dependent on you for everything probably for the rest of your life is a lesson in itself. Extrapolating that to yourself and everyone else is a realization. Realisation opens up the heart and mind of wisdom. The karma of those lustful moments, are slowly blossoming, and in this imperfect world there is the odd patch of mildew and fungus, but they are only being fed by the beauty that is life's poetry in motion.

If we can produce 3 children who are self-sufficient, conscientious, loving and giving and able to productively contribute to society, and make someone else's life better, then that will bring us further challenges I am sure but also happiness.

Mettha
    ParlaDharma
  • wangchueywangchuey Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Society says it's ok to lust because that is what our society has modernized into. But it is wrong when it could hurt someone close to us, or break up marriages.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2014
    @anataman, now that you have kids, it's your responsibility to raise them well and the attitude you outline will help you to do that. But bringing a kid into the world is explicitly demanding a huge chunk of the worlds resources: assuming average life expectancy, they will require approximately 60 million calories of food just for starters. I think you mentioned that you are an MD and assuming that's the case you will relatively little difficulty carving out a niche for your kids. But even if all your dependents prove equally capable, that logic will only work for a few generations before population growth among your offspring runs up against resource limits, and then there is conflict and life for a parent becomes a struggle to make room for offspring. Historically Anglo-Saxon countries have been relatively insulated from this because we are still riding the crest of wealth and power extracted from the rest of the world by imperialism, but we are pushing up against the limits now.

Also, it's safe bet that your kids will be just as insecure and unhappy as you are.
    ...[the mother, Suppavāsā] had the child show reverence to the Blessed One and the community of monks. Then Ven. Sāriputta said to the child, "I trust, child, that things are bearable for you. I trust that things are comfortable for you. I trust that there's no pain."

"From where, Ven. Sāriputta, would things be bearable for me? From where would they be comfortable for me living seven years in a belly of blood?"[1]

Then Suppavāsā — (thinking,) "My son is conversing with the Dhamma General!" — was gratified, joyful, rapturous, & happy.

The Blessed One, knowing that Suppavāsā was gratified, joyful, rapturous, & happy, said to her, "Suppavāsā, would you like to have another son like this?"

"O Blessed One, lord, I would like to have seven more sons like this!"

Then, on realizing the significance of that, the Blessed One on that occasion exclaimed:
    The disagreeable
    in the guise of the agreeable,
    the unlovable
    in the guise of the lovable,
    pain in the guise of bliss,
    overcome
    one who is heedless.
  • how said:

Each one of us need only look at any of our own "lusts" held up to the light of the 4NT to see what is true or not.

I would say the lust is exactly the topic of the 4NT.. Well maybe confusion also.
    Putting aside the comment that I will have 'little difficulty carving out a niche for my children' for a moment @fivebells, you can't hide that poor judgement - that really is wrong thinking, and demonstrates that wisdom is far from developed.

Regarding worlds resources @fivebells. Someone else would still have the benefit of them if my kids don't, and possibly more likely to abuse them. Also the worlds population cannot continue to grow exponentially. There will be a natural braking system. If the worlds resources are used effectively, and recycled and reused and we all ate a vegetarian diet, the world could support approximately double the number of people it does now.

Back to your comment:
    My wife and I have worked very hard and come from nothing to get where we are. Both of us were the first to go to university in each of our respective families. We have worked hard, paid for our own university educations, have never asked for any benefits from the state, we have private medical insurance, we pay for our children to go to private school even though we pay national insurance and taxes that fund the NHS and education system in this country that we are just as entitled to. That enables others to take our children's places in hospitals and schools. I worked for the NHS for nearly 20 years for a basic salary that a tube driver gets for doing 37 hours a week, at times I have worked more than 120 hours in a week for the same, sacrificing time I could have enjoyed with my family benefitting others. We give to charity, I have done voluntary and charity work, our children have never eaten meat, and my wife and I have pretty much been vegetarian most of our adult life. We conscientiously reuse and recycle everything we can. In short we are aware of our dependence and interdependence on society, and educate our children with that understanding.

Now lets face that dismal future you foresee together but look now and see it as there are at least 5 people out there working for the rest of you. Anyone want to join me and my family?

Of course as a Theravadan you are probably just focussed on the 3 marks of existence, and I can understand that can be a little unfulfilling. As a mahayana practitioner, on the path of no path, I enjoy and surrender myself to the present moment, where I am charged and lit up with everything around me. It's good to have a human incarnation, you can do a lot with it.

I forgive your judging mind, and hope you enjoy your practice, I hope it bears the fruit you lust after.
    Citta said:

In the same way there are people who refuse to see that some of the Buddha's views are the product of his time and culture.

And there are people who refuse to see that modern interpretations are also a product of time and culture.
    anataman
  • Which is why it is essential to find the core of Dharma which does not take its direction from cultural norms, ancient or modern.
    anataman
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited January 2014
    The Buddha mentions it in one of his first teachings.

Monks, these two extremes ought not to be practiced by one who has gone forth from the household life. (What are the two?) There is addiction to indulgence of sense-pleasures, which is low, coarse, the way of ordinary people, unworthy, and unprofitable; and there is addiction to self-mortification, which is painful, unworthy, and unprofitable.

Avoiding both these extremes, the Tathagata (the Perfect One) has realized the Middle Path; it gives vision, gives knowledge, and leads to calm, to insight, to enlightenment and to Nibbana.
    One "who has gone forth from the household life" and "ordinary people" are the key words there IMO.

The Buddha gave two different teachings on sex, one for monks and one for laypersons. For laypersons, it is quite liberal. Just don't engage in misconduct, AKA keep the 3rd precept. He even called it a "worldly joy, worldly happiness, worldly equanimity".
    "Now, O monks, what is worldly joy (happiness, equanimity) ? There are these five cords of sense desire: forms cognizable by the eye that are wished for and desired, agreeable and endearing, associated with sense-desire and tempting to lust. Sounds cognizable by the ear... odors cognizable by the nose... flavors cognizable by the tongue... tangibles cognizable by the body, wished for and desired, agreeable and endearing, associated with sense-desire and tempting to lust. It is the joy (happiness, equanimity) that arises dependent on these five cords of sense desire which is called 'worldly joy (happiness, equanimity).'
    The problem with that though is worldly happiness is conditional, impermanent and seeking it can only end in suffering.

For monks and people who really want to follow the way, it's a whole different story. He had nothing but condemnation for it. Calling it base, vulgar, ignoble, unprofitable, unskillful.
    Dhammapada 347. Those who are lust-infatuated fall back into the swirling current (of samsara) like a spider on its self-spun web. This, too, the wise cut off. Without any longing, they abandon all suffering and renounce the world.

356. Weeds are the bane of fields, lust is the bane of mankind. Therefore, what is offered to those free of lust yields abundant fruit.
    The Buddha gave two separate teachings on sex. What he says depends on which one you read. :)

Jeffrey
  • Which simply proves that the Buddha shared the same neurotic view of sexuality that was the norm in his culture and time.
    It is no more to be taken as a viable model of behaviour than his view that earthquakes are the result of the ocean in space that circles the earth, should be taken as science.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Citta said:

Which simply proves that the Buddha shared the same neurotic view of sexuality that was the norm in his culture and time.

Disagree 100%. :)
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Of course. :)
    I think it would be unrealistic to expect the Buddha to have knowledge of modern astrophysics and meterology.
    Like everyone of his time and culture he had a view of these phenomena which bears no resemblance to our understanding based on empirical evidence.
    In the same way he was a product of his times and had a view of various social issues which we in the main do not share.
    He saw sex as dirty and taught that wives should always obey their husbands for example.
    The fact is what he discovered or rediscovered was of real importance beyond mere cultural prejudices.
    Citta said:

Which is why it is essential to find the core of Dharma which does not take its direction from cultural norms, ancient or modern.

Good luck with that.
    Citta said:

Which simply proves that the Buddha shared the same neurotic view of sexuality that was the norm in his culture and time.

And there isn't a neurotic view of sexuality now?
  • I think @Citta still has to demonstrate that the Buddha's view was uncritically absorbed from his background culture. Is it the case, for instance, that most people of the time would agree with his assessment of Suppavasa's joy at the birth of her child?
  • There is Norman..
    But that current brand of neuroticism is not what informed and shaped Buddhism's collective stance to sexuality..that was shaped by what has been described as the Subcontients '
    'Body Negative ' position, to which the early Buddhists were heirs.