Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Reconciling morals

Ever since really learning about Buddhism and attempting to apply its practice in my own life, I have struggled with the notion of morality. From my understanding, the Zen perspective (not as certain of others) does not really perceive a "right" and a "wrong" as it rejects such a dichotomy.

But when I hear of respectable monks such as Thich Nhat Hanh and his role in speaking out against the Vietnam War, which can arguably be seen as an act of protest, I wonder what drives this act? Is it not a call to do something "morally good?" Is it something else that drives such individuals to remove themselves from a stance of inaction, to one of action? How might this be identified? What is the motivation behind this?

Any thoughts on this? Thank you, all!

Comments

• RodrigoRodrigo São Paulo, Brazil Veteran
    I have the same struggle. I made a similar question not long ago and received great answers from the NB community:
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/20421/morality-x-mind-with-no-preferences
    Vastmind
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited February 2014
    In terms of Buddhism in the theravada and ancient pali texts, morality is 1/3 of the practice at least. The practice is sila(morality), samadhi(stillness/concentration), and panna(insight/wisdom). The Buddha taught starting out with dana(generosity) and sila, which will allow you to be calm and concentrate easier. Its also cyclical because as your practice advances you naturally live more skillfully.

You cannot advance to the hights of meditative bliss without the practice of livinga more beneficial life for yourself and others through performing skillful actions of thought, word, and deed.
    VastmindNirvanaBunks
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    I'm not a Zen guy, so I'm speaking about Buddhism in general. Hopefully I don't repeat much of what I said on the thread Rodrigo quoted.

- Buddhist ethics aren't like Christian ethics, they aren't rules given by a father figure that you have to obey just because.
    - There is a big theme of ethics being related to practice-- if you're smashed drunk, you can't meditate.
    - Some ethical rules follow from metaphysical realizations regarding impermanence, change, anatman, sunyata, and so on-- usually some variation on reframing our sense of self so that altruistic actions are just as desirable to us as selfish ones.
    - Buddhism has the same idea as the Confucians that a good (enlightened) person will do the moral thing naturally, so the nit pickly lists of rules are a temporary thing until you are doing the right thing because that's what you'd do anyhow.
    - Engaged Buddhism is something of a new thing. Historically renunciates were all about leaving society to form a new community, a sort of utopian vision. Someone has to pay for and permit this, so Buddhism in all countries had to have the support of the government-- to actually give it money and so on, or to explicitly allow it exist. So Buddhism institutionally didn't rock the boat much. When Buddhism arrives in a new country, it picks up some of these values of the time and place- so TNH is rather modern with respect to engagement.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    For the first nine years of my Zen practice, almost no one mentioned morality/precepts as I recall. It was pretty much sit, sit and sit some more. Don't lie, cheat, kill, steal, etc. were not emphasized.

My experience was that with meditation practice, the precepts began to keep themselves ... that it was impossible to be peaceful WITHOUT keeping them. Morality was not so much something you ought to do because you'd get punished if you didn't, but rather something without which the understandings of meditation didn't make any well-rounded sense and a full understanding simply would not materialize. The importance of morality lay more in the fact that "it works" than in some other make-nice sense.

This is not to suggest that anyone can just run around doing any damned thing s/he pleases until the dime drops. As with all else, there is a phase of what might be called faking it -- following good rules because it's socially nicer to do so. With practice, unless I am mistaken, what was once goody-two-shoes virtue just evolves into what's obvious ... not fancy, just obvious.

There is no knowing from what grounding anyone makes a decision to speak or act out ... as for example speaking out against the Vietnam war. Is it an activist virtue schtick or is it because, as Shunryu Suzuki put it once, there are things "to do" and things 'not to do?"

There is simply no knowing another's grounding. But there is knowing your own -- finding your own grounding and then acting. You may be right. You may be wrong. OK ... but pay attention to and take responsibility for the action or words. In this way, a little at a time, a moral lifestyle will become less of a praiseworthy goal and more just par for the course.

Just some noodling.

VastmindlobsterRodrigopommesetoranges
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @mynameisuntz

If you can accept that...
    Morality is the manifestation of compassion, love and wisdom. &
    A lack of morality is the manifestation of greed, hate and delusion.

What would your question look like?
    lobsterperson
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

When I hear of respectable monks such as Thich Nhat Hanh and his role in speaking out against the Vietnam War, which can arguably be seen as an act of protest, I wonder what drives this act?

Buddhism is the Religion of Peace. Was the napalming of Vietnam commendable on any moral ground?

Is it not a call to do something "morally good?" Is it something else that drives such individuals to remove themselves from a stance of inaction, to one of action? How might this be identified? What is the motivation behind this?

To be a peace enabler????

How can people be free to cultivate peace when they are being attacked and savaged by outside forces? Is there any other recourse than to speak out against the perpetrators of violence, even if they be thousands of miles removed from the scene that they are responsible for?
    how said:

Morality is the manifestation of compassion, love and wisdom. &
    A lack of morality is the manifestation of greed, hate and delusion.

Excellent!
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I don't think you can say that, "Buddhism is the Religion of Peace."
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited February 2014

Ever since really learning about Buddhism and attempting to apply its practice in my own life, I have struggled with the notion of morality. From my understanding, the Zen perspective (not as certain of others) does not really perceive a "right" and a "wrong" as it rejects such a dichotomy.

It does conventionally perceive right and wrong, if it didn't, no monks or laypersons would ever take precepts vows. :)

"No good/right or bad/wrong" in zen generally should be viewed in the context of attachment and non attachment. For example, "me" being alive is "good or right" and "me" dying is "bad or wrong" according to most everyone. If you don't make "me living" and "me dying" into some "good vs bad" thing, then living is ok and when it comes time to die, that's ok too. :) No right or wrong is really about non-attachment (because all 5 skandhas are empty) not about morality IMO.

There is a good zen story about this:
    True compassion means to become one with whatever situation you find yourself in, moment to moment. This is enlightenment. This is what the Buddha’s enlightenment teaches. There is a famous story about Zen Master Man Gong, Zen Master Seung Sahn’s grand-teacher which illustrates this clearly.

One day, Man Gong Sunim was walking into town with Hae Am Sunim, who at that time was also a Zen Master, a junior Zen Master. Along the path they passed by a pond where a boy had set up a little stand, much as when you drive down the street in your neighborhood and there will be a little lemonade stand. Except, this boy had set up a little frog stand. What he had done was catch a number of frogs and put a little string around their legs tethering them to the ground. Then he would sell them to passersby. Hae Am Sunim saw this and right away he went over to the boy, took out some money, and bought all of the frogs. Reaching down he undid all of the strings tying the frogs. Immediately the frogs jumped back -PLUKE! PLUKE! PLUKE! — into the pond. Then they were all very happy, just sitting there, bulging eyes looking up. Returning to the path where Man Gong Sunim was waiting, he said, “Oh, I just saved those frogs! I bought them all and released them.”

Then Man Gong Sunim said, “Yes, those frogs are very happy, but you are a devil.”

Hae Am Sunim was quite taken aback, “Master, why do you call me a devil? I just saved those frogs from suffering.”

“You said, ‘I saved those frogs.’ You have ‘I,’ so you are a devil.”
    Some other stuff from the Platform Sutra.
    “Good Knowing Advisors, Maha Prajna Paramita is
    a Sanskrit word which means ‘great wisdom which has
    arrived at the other shore.’ It must be practiced in the
    mind, and not just recited in words....

“What is meant by Maha? Maha means ‘great.’ The
    capacity of the mind is vast and great like empty space,
    and has no boundaries. It is not square or round, great or
    small. Neither is it blue, yellow, red or white. It is not
    above or below, or long or short. It is without anger,
    without joy, without right, without wrong, without good,
    without evil, and it has no head or tail.
    “All Buddha-lands are ultimately the same as empty
    space. The wonderful nature of worldly people is
    originally empty, and there is not a single dharma which
    can be obtained. The true emptiness of the self-nature is
    also like this."

“Good Knowing Advisors, the emptiness of the
    universe is able to contain the forms and shapes of the ten
    thousand things: the sun, moon, and stars; the
    mountains, rivers, and the great earth; the fountains,
    springs, streams, torrents, grasses, trees, thickets, and
    forests; good and bad people, good and bad dharmas, the
    heavens and the hells, all the great seas, Sumeru and all
    mountains–all are contained within emptiness. The
    emptiness of the nature of worldly men is also like this.
    “Good Knowing Advisors, the ability of one’s own
    nature to contain the ten thousand dharmas is what is
    meant by ‘great.’ The myriad dharmas are within the
    nature of all people. If you regard all people, the bad as
    well as the good, without grasping or rejecting, without
    producing a defiling attachment, your mind will be like
    empty space. Therefore it is said to be ‘great,’ ‘Maha.’”
    And commentary on that by Master Hsuan Hua.
    Empty space not only holds all good things, it includes all
    bad people as well. Empty space would never say, “You bad
    person! Get out of my empty space! Good people, come on in!”
    In the same way, you should see good and bad people
    without being attached to the good or repulsed by the bad.

All good and all bad are included within the self-nature; you
    should neither grasp it nor cast it aside. Grasping and rejecting
    are defiling attachments.
    No right or wrong really just mean "without producing a defiling attachment". :)
    But when I hear of respectable monks such as Thich Nhat Hanh and his role in speaking out against the Vietnam War, which can arguably be seen as an act of protest, I wonder what drives this act? Is it not a call to do something "morally good?" Is it something else that drives such individuals to remove themselves from a stance of inaction, to one of action? How might this be identified? What is the motivation behind this?
    The motivation is compassion. Like Thich Nhat Hanh says, "Compassion is a verb". :)

That understanding being understood, nonetheless compassion is a warlike verb.
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited February 2014
    I am going to challenge your assertion that 'compassion is a warlike verb'.

Who or what is waging war on who or what? Compassion is a noun. It names a moral quality.

Mettha
    My teacher used to say that really everything is a verb. By that he meant that really everything is more of an energy field than a static doorstop, as it were.

As for the "warlike" attribute, I meant that facetiously in response to a Know-it-all comment above.
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited February 2014
    Thank you for the clarification @Nirvana. I did not take all that in when I scanned the thread. Lesson number 783. Don't comment, unless you understand what has previously been posted.

je comprends maintenant...

Mettha
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    “To avoid the doing of unskillful acts,
    To perform skillful acts,
    To purify the mind,
    This is the teaching of the awakened ones.”

dhammapada 183
  • Ahimsa. Do no harm.
    lobsterkarasti
  • Ahimsa. Do no harm.
    :)
    Yes Indeed.
    On the whole . . .

The kindness thing with demons is often to chop off their heads.
    Many of us are battling our own and life's demons. If you are lotus born and having a wonderful life . . . just remember it won't last . . . (was that a wikid reminder?)

The important thing is to leave extreme morality to the uniformed branch (the sangha). Yes they are there to inspire us in extremes of practice, precepts, drop dead dharma knowledge and other extremes that a cloistered existence allows. They have their dilemmas too.

Should we be as kind as possible? Yes.
    As we move through the hindrances and develop wisdom, we begin to understand when to be tough with the useless and often powerful delusions in our being and this gives us insight into others. Because the truth is the person we harm most often and the most . . . is . . . [dramatic drum-roll] . . . ourselves . . .

Be Kind. Start with yourself.
    Cinorjer
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited February 2014
    It is confusing to encounter the non-dualism teaching of Zen. If, as is stated in the teachings, dualism is Samsara and even thinking in terms of good and evil is a hindrance, then where does that leave room for morality?

Well, the first thing we must admit as people who practice Zen, maybe our understanding and even the teaching might be lacking. Zen as passed to us from the main sects of Japan certainly can be and is criticized for stressing intention and mindfulness over moral rules. But then, no practice can be totally separated from the culture and Zen developed in an extreme militant society. It's no wonder morality ended up being defined as "mindless action without intention is above morality" by the end of this period.

But that was then and this is now. Does morality have to be built on dividing the people and their actions into good or evil, right or wrong, etc? Non-duality remains a powerful teaching but unless we can reconcile that and retain the necessary judgement for moral behavior, then perhaps it should be rethought.

How about, saying the world and reality cannot be crammed into two opposite boxes is not the same as saying the two extremes do not exist. It's just that most of reality is somewhere between and once we assign a label on something, then we want to deal with the label instead of the reality.

But then, my own thinking on this subject is prehaps not fully enlightened. While I agree with the sutras that duality is Samsara, at the same time there is good and there is evil in the world. I don't know how to reconcile the two. Perhaps wiser men than me have found a way.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

I think when the truth is seen "morally good" is thrown out the window and replaced by common sense. What I mean is when we do what is the morally correct thing to do we are still trapped in the self vs other mindset. We want to help the other and may have the best intentions but it still feels like convention. When the truth is seen we act to help for the same reason we put on a band-aid.

A part of us is in need of healing... Common sense calls to action the logic of compassion.

lobsterCinorjer
  • I think when the truth is seen "morally good" is thrown out the window and replaced by common sense.
    Agreed.
    Common sense is not so commonly found. Either in ourselves or others. Few people need to know or be told what is the right thing to do.
    They quite often want unkind, selfish, useless behaviour encouraged or endorsed.
    Part of growing up is realising our infantile habits and how through our heedless ignoring they have become deeply entrenched.
    This is why it is so important to find a teacher, preferably within ourselves.
    Morality is about honesty and integrity.
    Are we hypocrites? Most certainly but can we perceive the subtlety of our delusions? Maybe that takes practice . . .
    As human beings we want our weaknesses admired as part of our character. We all have weaknesses but also and in a real sense, we have sila/morality as a common being.

:)
  • Ever since really learning about Buddhism and attempting to apply its practice in my own life, I have struggled with the notion of morality. From my understanding, the Zen perspective (not as certain of others) does not really perceive a "right" and a "wrong" as it rejects such a dichotomy.

You'll have to ask Thich Nhat Hanh , that is if that is what he said.