Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Philosophize This!

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran

For anyone interested in learning about philosophy this is a really good podcast that is going through the history of philosophy in an easy to understand way, currently he is somewhere in the middle ages. You can download the podcasts @40 minutes each at iTunes or his website

http://www.philosophizethis.org/

A free podcast dedicated to sharing the ideas that shaped our world.

Beginner friendly if listened to in order! For anyone interested in an educational podcast about philosophy where you don't need to be a graduate-level philosopher to understand it. In chronological order, the thinkers and ideas that forged the world we live in are broken down and explained.

ToraldrisVastmindoverthecuckoosnestmmoCinorjerEarthninjaanataman

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited June 2014

Did you start at episode 1 or go to 9 ( Buddha) as he suggested?

Hell with it...I'm starting at 1...I need all the knowledge I can get...hahaha.

Let me know now....will there be discussion and snacks afterwards? .. :D ..

If not...it's ok. I'm learning how to be more quiet/not talk about everything. haha

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Ohhhhhh ...... I like him.

I'll be listening to all the episodes. Much Thanks!!!!

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited June 2014

@person thanks for sharing!!
    Just downloaded the app!!

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

@Vastmind said:
    Did you start at episode 1 or go to 9 ( Buddha) as he suggested?

Hell with it...I'm starting at 1...I need all the knowledge I can get...hahaha.

Let me know now....will there be discussion and snacks afterwards? .. :D ..

If not...it's ok. I'm learning how to be more quiet/not talk about everything. haha

I started at the beginning. I think if you want to skip to the Buddha mainly the context he uses is the other eastern philosophy episodes (Confucius and Taoism).

My purpose in sharing was mainly just to let others know about this because I think he does a good job and people here likely have some interest in philosophy. If you, or anyone wants to discuss something you heard though, I suppose this would be a good spot where someone else may be able to join in. I noticed the parallels between Buddhist philosophy and stoic philosophy and Stephen West mentioned that as well.

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran

Started at Buddhism went to Islam and now Machiavelli
    Nice site

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

Good stuff, thanks!

lobster
  • mmommo Veteran

This is amazing.
    Please let us know more of these, I will also post if I find any. :)
    I tried some other similar podcasts. This one is also good.

http://www.aquietmind.com/

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

If you want a good grounding of eastern philosophy from a western viewpoint, there is the Alan Watts podcasts which can be downloaded but at a cost. He expounds the intimate relationship between humans and their environment and also explores the intimate relationships between buddha god mind time space nothing man duality and the illusion that is me.

This recommendation comes with a mental health warning though, and you do need to learn a little mental discipline and have at least explored some meditation to really get some inkling of what he is really talking about.

Also I would recommend reading youlan fengs history of Chinese philosophy that he recommends reading in relation to the dharma dhatu a taster of which can be downloaded from Google books:

http://books.google.co.uk/books/about/A_History_of_Chinese_Philosophy.html?id=6vLsbZ-OFs4C

I had overlooked Chinese philosophy but it squares a circle for me.

Earthninja
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Just wanted to give this thread a bump.

His more recent podcasts have really been interesting. He's gotten past much of the older history type talks and has gotten into more relevant philosophers and topics that come up here frequently like the limits of empiricism, superstition, belief, optimism and others. Also, he eventually gets rid of the sort of aggressive sounding bumper music.

Earthninja
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    It seems I have to download through itunes but am on a crackberry and no home net right now, bummer