Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is the problem desire, craving, or ignorance?

zenguitarzenguitar Bad BuddhistNew England Veteran

Here's a basic (I think) question. I have read varying interpretations of the Second Noble Truth. Some say that the cause of suffering is desire, others say it is craving, still others say ignorance. Which is it?

Personally, I'm partial to the ignorance explanation, because I interpret this as meaning I don't need to renounce too many pleasures to practice Buddhism. But perhaps that is just me being ignorant.

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Why does it have to be one or the other?

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

If you're ignorant about how reality actually is, you'll have (and follow up on) cravings for things you shouldn't. So it's all really the same thing.

overthecuckoosnestkarastiBuddhadragon
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

My teacher says it is turning away from our own experience which can be dulling out, trying to grasp at nothing, or dull with a sense pleasure.

zombiegirlCinorjerBuddhadragon
  • @AldrisTorvalds said:
    If you're ignorant about how reality actually is, you'll have (and follow up on) cravings for things you shouldn't. So it's all really the same thing.

That was just about what I was going to say, so I second this.

Toraldris
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited June 2014

It is the Craving to Be someplace else, something different, somehow transported away from Present condition or circumstances that is the cause of this dukkha. It is not craving for things, but a craving for a more exalted or safe BEING, for lack of the right adjective.

The Buddha makes this clear in the Four Noble Truths, I believe --namely that craving is the cause.

lobsterJeffreyzombiegirl
  • I suppose the problem is wanting answers over questioning needs. The necessity for existence is love, breath, food, shelter. this is my home when all else fails.

Skeeterkbmmo
  • SkeeterkbSkeeterkb Explorer

Seeking a cause can lead me down a rabbit hole of chasing the next cause of each cause. For my self, it is most helpful to stay in the moment even if it is suffering. Then see what I can change within myself and my perceptions as my first action unto changing my present experience if it is suffering. Yet always mindful that much pain is chosen, but some pain is unavoidable and a simple reality.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Is the problem desire, craving, or ignorance?

They are the three primary causes . . .
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_poisons_(Buddhism)

VastmindnamarupaCittaperson
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited June 2014

The problem is one mechanism. The ”three poisons” describe it very well I think.
    We are driven by aversion and desire and are ignorant of how this never stops; how running around in circles gets us nowhere; how we never reach the point of contentment for very long.

One way of describing practice is to stop doing this. Stop adding the words, the concepts and the preferences on top of the actual experience. Just sit and allow thoughts and feelings to come and go.

At this point for me aversion is the topic. I think it is an underestimated poison - for me; and now that my focus is on the subject I see it more clearly in people around me too.
    It can also be part of a “spiritual” identity; having aversion towards “worldly” people and their interests, or simply having aversion towards life in general.

zenguitarlobsterVastmind
  • MeisterBobMeisterBob Mindful Agnathiest CT , USA Veteran

@AldrisTorvalds said:

Hmmm...ignorant about how the unknowable (reality) actually is... perhaps ignorant about how I perceive the unknowable hits the 'mark" closer for me. Perhaps that's what you meant. I don't know . Perhaps I just wanted in on the conversation! lol! Bob

• zenguitarzenguitar Bad Buddhist New England Veteran

Ok, thanks everyone. I feel a little less ignorant now. :)

• It kind of goes back and forth with seeing that there's "a problem", and not seeing that there's a problem. When everything goes our way, there's no problem. The source of the problem is not seeing the problem, which would be considered ignorance/avijja.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    edited June 2014

@namarupa said:
    When everything goes our way, there's no problem. The source of the problem is not seeing the problem, which would be considered ignorance/avijja.

As long as things go our way we don't experience dukkha. Our first contact with dukkha happens when we stumble over the first roadblock experience will place in our way.
    Ignorance would be trying to get rid of the roadblock or striving to groove it into our personal vision of life somehow, rather than accepting it for what it is and going on living despite its presence in our life.

lobsternamarupa
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@zenguitar said:
    Here's a basic (I think) question. I have read varying interpretations of the Second Noble Truth. Some say that the cause of suffering is desire, others say it is craving, still others say ignorance. Which is it?

According to dependent origination the proximate cause of suffering is craving, and the root cause is ignorance. So while ignorance persists, craving persists and suffering persists.

Toraldris

@dharmamom said:
    So basically, the cause of our suffering would be the ignorance of reality as it really is, and our attachment to our distorted mental constructs.

Yes, good summary.

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

Someone recently asked me my perspective on Buddhism on another site, and I assumed he wasn't a Buddhist and really was interested, and this is what I told him (trying my best to encapsulate what Buddhism means to me without putting him off):

Sure. All things are impermanent dependently-arisen constructs that follow the rules of causality. The way we normally think and act in life is to secure permanency, even of ourselves (to think we escape death we invent souls and afterlives). We are constantly seeking happiness by temporary means, never realizing the rollercoaster ride of our lives and the futility of trying to achieve true contentment in that fashion. Buddhism tries to awaken us to how things really are, and seeing this we create a cushion of detachment from the incessant striving and craving. The lessening of our cravings, and acting more in accord with the transiency and interdependency (karma) of life result in a lessening of suffering (anxiety, stress, frustration, dissatisfaction, every form of mental ill). The more clearly we see, the greater contentment we find without constantly seeking happiness outside of ourselves.

That's just one little blurb way to put it. Ignorance of reality causes us to have unwholesome desires, and to perform deeds that only return to us as suffering, while clarity brings us true peace. There's more to be said, a lot more, but at its heart Buddhism is about chilling the F out about life (and death), and living in the present (and making it better as we go) instead of focusing all of our attention on some other place or time because we're not content with here-and-now. It's about alleviating not only our individual suffering, but that of all of humanity (and, I'd like to think, other sentient beings that we're harming).

JeffreySkeeterkblobsterBuddhadragon
  • BlondelBlondel Veteran

@zenguitar said:

This will be a mercifully brief answer. The Buddha says that our psycho-physical body (the five aggregates/skandhas) is suffering. He also says the origin or cause of suffering is clinging/desiring the psycho-physical body.

Jeffrey
  • namarupanamarupa Veteran
    edited July 2014

@zenguitar said:

I think you can say that cravings are the smaller roadblocks along the way, and ignorance is the larger roadblock made up of those smaller roadblocks. It would be easier to try and remove smaller roadblocks at a time than to try to remove the larger roadblock at once.

• zenguitarzenguitar Bad Buddhist New England Veteran

Thanks a lot, everyone, this is enlightening stuff.

@Blondel said:

I'm not sure how the aggregates themselves can be suffering if the cause of suffering is clinging to the aggregates?

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I'm not sure @SpinyNorman but part of suffering is 'pervasive suffering'. It is something that ordinary beings can't see because it is like noticing an ear ache when you are covered all over with painful sores. Once you get rid of the sores then you might feel the ear ache.

@Jeffrey said:
    I'm not sure SpinyNorman but part of suffering is 'pervasive suffering'. It is something that ordinary beings can't see because it is like noticing an ear ache when you are covered all over with painful sores. Once you get rid of the sores then you might feel the ear ache.

Sure, there are different levels of suffering. But if the aggregates themselves are suffering, and the aggregates represent the totality of our experience, how can there be any release from suffering? Or are you saying there is something "outside" the aggregates?

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I don't think the aggregates are our whole experience, but I could be wrong. I think that when we stop grasping they turn into their enlightened qualities. Or 'thus have I heard'.

form -> morality
    feeling -> meditation
    perception -> wisdom
    formations -> liberation
    consciousness -> knowledge of liberation

I learned that in an aol chatroom taught by a longtime practitioners home made teachings. It was one of my first Buddhist experiences.