Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Psychic Powers !

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran
edited July 2014 in Meditation

Kia Ora,

Tis said that meditation 'could' lead to the meditator obtaining psychic powers/abilities...

When it comes to the paranormal, I have an open mind (be it not so open that my brain falls out) but open nevertheless...

However when it comes to psychic powers "I" can't see the need for them in my everyday life...Ok, they might go down well for a party trick .

I tend to view psychic phenomena as the flowing and interaction of energies in one form or other, and a person having or developing a special connection to certain energy flows...Tuning in so to speak....

Some no doubt, might enter into the practice of meditation in order to gain psychic powers...

I don't 'mind' being a psychonaut ie, riding the waves of consciousness through meditative means, (for me personally it's been very beneficial), but I don't need psychic powers....

After all....People think that I'm psycho enough as it is . :D ..

How about you ? Does the thought of obtaining psychic powers psyche you up ?

Metta Shoshin . :) .. :

HollyRose1

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I don't think you always choose to have them other than like you said intentionally trying to develop them. I would say powers are not a reliable refuge in themselves. Whatever talents we have we are subject to ego clinging. But if you could develop them to help sentient beings that would be good.

ShoshinEarthninja
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited July 2014

Kia Ora, Shoshin!

"Psychic powers" for some people are just an ordinary part of life. Some experience it as intuition. It's definitely about tuning in, and you can improve your abilities by practicing that "tuning in".

Meditation quiets the busy, chattering left brain, which allows the right brain to come to the fore. Intuition and other psychic abilities are the purview of the right brain. We all have those abilities to some extent, but in Western culture, we've learned to suppress them. The more you learn to tune in, the more natural it becomes. Don't worry about it. If it happens, just let it happen. The key is to not get all wrapped up in it so your ego gets involved. Always practice non-attachment.

Kia Ora! :) .

ShoshinmmoEarthninja
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

They do arise and are nothing but a hindrance. People feel they are a mark of progress. They can to a degree be developed through magical dharma systems and intense concentration methods.

If you want to impress Buddha Babes at Dharma parties, go for developing qualities, would be my approach . . .

:buck: .

Earthninjaoverthecuckoosnest
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Telekinesis would be the coolest. Clairsentience or clairvoyance would probably be more useful though.

Don't let your secret get out though or men in black SUVs will come get you.

Earthninja
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@person said:

>

Don't let your secret get out though or men in black SUVs will come get you.

Kia Ora,

Or men in 'white' coats . :D ..

Metta Shoshin . :) ..

lobster
    edited July 2014

Kia Ora,

I should point out that I live in a community where nearly every second person is either a counsellor or psychic (or claims to be), so I'm not unfamiliar with psychic phenomena, just not impressed in any way by it...

It's possible most members (and lurkers) here have experienced a psychic surge, for example you're thinking of a particular person and all of a sudden the phone goes or there's a knock on the door and it's this person in person.... creating a "Wow ...I was just thinking of you!" moment.....

"Mind over matter" events that are meant to distort the laws of physic, like for example "levitation" leaves a lot to be desired, but who knows....perhaps it's karma and I'm not meant to be there when things like this happen...

edited July 2014

@Jeffrey said:
    I don't think you always choose to have them other than like you said intentionally trying to develop them. I would say powers are not a reliable refuge in themselves. Whatever talents we have we are subject to ego clinging. But if you could develop them to help sentient beings that would be good.

Kia Ora @Jeffrey,

That's true....I think when it comes to someone 'desiring' psychic powers, it's a "Be careful what you wish for" kinda thing... Abilities like this don't normally come with an instruction manual...

Jeffrey
    edited July 2014

@Dakini said:
    Kia Ora, Shoshin!

"Psychic powers" for some people are just an ordinary part of life. Some experience it as intuition. It's definitely about tuning in, and you can improve your abilities by practicing that "tuning in".

Meditation quiets the busy, chattering left brain, which allows the right brain to come to the fore. Intuition and other psychic abilities are the purview of the right brain. We all have those abilities to some extent, but in Western culture, we've learned to suppress them. The more you learn to tune in, the more natural it becomes. Don't worry about it. If it happens, just let it happen. The key is to not get all wrapped up in it so your ego gets involved. Always practice non-attachment.

Kia Ora! :) .

Kia Ora,

If one thinks about it, we are all made up of the same stuff ie, organic matter, and which for the most part we seem to act (in a way) as consciousness conductors...Any form of psychic ability/power must work through the ol' gray & white matter and possibly involves the creation of special neuropathways in the brain (bearing in mind I'm no neuroscientist, so I'm more than likely talking crap-but I'll continue anyway)...

Some people seem to be more tuned in than others, hence their uncanny ability to see what others can't see, sometimes this might involve seeing into the future...Which reminds me, some scientists are working on the theory "Time can be bent" so who really knows how consciousness works...

"There was a young lady call Bright
    who could travel much faster than light
    She set out one day in a relative way
    and came back the previous night !"

HamsakaJeffreyBuddhadragonEarthninja
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Shoshin said:

It would be a nice fringe benefit. I would like to be able to fly. ;)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

One I would HATE to have, is the ability to read thoughts. At times it would be useful; most of the time, though, I suspect it would be debilitating.

I would like to be able to disable technology completely through the individual.

What I mean is, that if some jerk is driving his car in a dangerous and road-hoggish manner, i'd make the car inoperative. But only to that jerk. And that would go for any car they tried to drive.
    If someone is being obnoxious on a train, with their mobile phone, I'd make that phone inoperative - but only to them. And that would go for any phone (emergency calls only).
    if someone is trolling maliciously, being deliberately provocative, rude, obscene and disruptive on a forum (any forum) I'd make any computer or similar device, inoperative to that person.

It's never happened here, you'll all be glad to know.

(Ever wondered why that was....? WEG... :D . )

@federica said:
    I would like to be able to disable technology completely through the individual.

I try that regularly but haven't worked it out as yet. ;)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I agree. frustrating, isn't it...? :D .

@federica said:
    I agree. frustrating, isn't it...? :D .

This is what we need: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse

That's what I WANT!! It's on my Christmas list!! :lol: .

Kia Ora,

I know exactly what is going to happen next...... :coffee: ..

SarahT
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

I would absolutely give a limb if I could heal sickness or injuries. That would be awesome. Of course I would have to keep it a big secret and just sneak around doing it.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    Kia Ora,

Metta Shoshin . :) .. :

If those powers can save beings from suffering, yes!

Powers just for the sake of having powers...Meh.

:)

lobsterBuddhadragon
  • Love is the most powerful of all!

lobsterShoshinSarahTyagr
  • rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran
    edited July 2014

Friends, please help me about my query.

I learned astrology and to see birth charts and it making me mad because i hardly can decline it to be true

Even someone of you will provide me details of DOB,POB and time of birth. I can tell almost everything about that person.

I feeling like i have got something black hidden magic and not able to believe that this can happen to me that i can predict everything. And also have predicted many birth chart on internet and helped people.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@seeker242 said:
    If those powers can save beings from suffering, yes!

This is how they arise spontaneously. The lesser motivation through concentration is fraught with complications, most of which are along the line of, 'this ability denotes progress'. Ideally they are unnoticeable and of no consequence and attract no attention.

http://www.buddhisma2z.com/content.php?id=325

Shoshin

Kia Ora,

"Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely!" Lord Acton

I guess having psychic powers is no different-the temptation will be there...

Politicians are good examples of how power corrupts...Many start out with "good intent" but after a term or two, tax payers money begins to vanish into thin air . :D ..

• upekkaupekka Veteran

@rohit said:

Even someone of you will provide me details of DOB,POB and time of birth. I can tell almost everything about that person.

>

ok

this is a DOB :1954/02/07
    and
    time is 7:00 AM

try your skill and tell what you can see

• rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran

@upekka said:

place of birth?

@upekka, @rohit: you guys want to play your little game, do it via PM only.
    Thanks.

@federica said:
    upekka, rohit: you guys want to play your little game, do it via PM only.
    Thanks.

Kia Ora,

I had a weird feeling this was going to happen . :D ..

• Woah93Woah93 Veteran

I practiced telekinesis for a good while because I thought it was utter bullshit, but after a week or so I could do the pen roll :) I don't see any use in that other than showing off though so I don't really bother anymore. Other then that I tend to notice what people think or feel really quickly but that's just a lot of empathy or whatever :) It definitely is interesting stuff though.

Dakini
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran

@Woah93 said:
    I practiced telekinesis for a good while because I thought it was utter bullshit, but after a week or so I could do the pen roll :) I don't see any use in that other than showing off though so I don't really bother anymore. Other then that I tend to notice what people think or feel really quickly but that's just a lot of empathy or whatever :) It definitely is interesting stuff though.

Dude! Awesome! I have done all kinds of wierd stuff people wouldn't believe if I told them. But I haven't got the pen rolling to work. (despite instruction).

What did you do?

Tilting usually works..... :rolleyes: . :D .

VictoriousDavidSarahT
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2014

om ma hum vajra guru pema siddhi hum..

Ego can make a mess whatever powers you have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siddhi

Shoshin
  • DakiniDakini Veteran

@Jeffrey said:
    om ma hum vajra guru pema siddhi hum..

Ego can make a mess whatever powers you have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siddhi

There's always that possibility. But there's also the choice to use one's Siddhi/s compassionately, to benefit others.

JeffreyVictorious
  • upekkaupekka Veteran

@rohit said:
    place of birth?

i knew you need it for calculation

place of birth : Colombo, Sri Lanka

do not ask for any more data, pl

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

@rohit said:
    Friends, please help me about my query.

I learned astrology and to see birth charts and it making me mad because i hardly can decline it to be true

I feeling like i have got something black hidden magic and not able to believe that this can happen to me that i can predict everything. And also have predicted many birth chart on internet and helped people.

Hey, in my 20's I was fascinated with astrology, and even did about a dozen readings 'professionally' (ie, I got paid). One woman stopped the reading because she didn't expect to have me make comments on her marriage nor were they welcome (later learned she was divorcing, his call). I admit this now with reluctance but I still get all caught up if the subject comes up.

You can do me and PM me if you want :D I am serious and would be very honored. 6/28/1965 Puyallup, WA 1:30 am PDT.

Now it goes completely against all rationality and logic, and yet I smirk when Mercury goes retrograde and almost inevitably, our electronic medical record develops big glitches or the intercom stops working in the rooms on one half of the unit. Well, not inevitably, and absolutely, this is laughable. I don't believe it, and I don't know why it seems to 'work' but for some reason, I love the symbolism and intricacies and complexities. I also love mythology and science fiction/fantasy, and am willing to entertain anything that strikes me as fascinating.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread subject.

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

At the very least, personally, I know that I'm not trying to gain psychic powers through my practice because I don't think they exist. If I believed, at all, then maybe even on a subconscious level that's what my practice would be all about... after all, who doesn't wanna be a Jedi? ;)  

Shoshin

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread subject.

@Woah93‌, The penrolling dude? Seriously! What did you do? :) .

/Victor

edited July 2014

@upekka said:

We are born in the same place. _/\__ Ayobowan. :clap: .

• lobsterlobster Veteran

The penrolling dude? Seriously! What did you do?

No psychic powers required to know what is . . . how can I put this kindly . . . important or irrelevant even to Sith . . .

Buddhadragon

Moderator Note Please do not publish your contact details on public forum. This is simply a taboo thing to do.

If folks here want to explore the astrological aspect more deeply, please keep such matters to PMs. It's a safer way to go, and carries fewer risks of unwanted investigation by others. Remember these forums are open to public scrutiny, member or not. (Only 1 forum is private, and requires member registration).

Thank you.

Thank you @lobster‌. Look what I found.

It all looked ok until about 3 min 40 sec... When it got really disturbing...

Oh good grief.....

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Victorious said:
    When it got really disturbing...

:)

. . . a few years of nut training should sort out the men of science from the nut less . . .

Having studied the mechanics of some aspects of tai chi chuan, you I believe study aikido, these party tricks seem miraculous. However they can be studied and replicated without recourse to magical thinking.

People are attracted to such abilities but I would suggest the benefits of martial arts training are more to do with moral and mind discipline, which are where the real benefits of martial arts are . . . as you know . . .

_/_

edited July 2014

@lobster
    I have studied Aikido and Kushin Karate yes.

But also Itchuan, Kyusho and Kiaijustsu and tried many mental exercises of my own on myself and fellow practitioners.

And let me tell you there is no way the science of today can explain half of what I have done myself not to speak about what I have seen others do.

Not feeling pain is not a special power that is only about training as you say.

EDIT: But most things are... I guess when it comes down to it then most things are. Even the ability to roll pens. ;) .

/Victor

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@Victorious said:
    And let me tell you there is no way the science of today can explain half of what I have done myself not to speak about what I have seen others do.

I hope you spend your new wealth wisely . . .
    http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html :wave: .

edited July 2014

You know you'd be amazed at how many people who have never tried any crazy stuff at all blows curious fascinating stuff off.

http://www.smajl.se/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/augusti_Kräftskiva_Fest-_porträtt_ica1.jpg

It is like they are afraid they have missed out on the fun. And you know what. They have.
    Lifes too short dude.

:dunce: .

This's ma lobster eating hat...

/Victor :) .

lobsterWoah93

@Victorious said:
    /Victor :) .

Yes, it's always good to try stuff out before dismissing it. ;)

Victoriouslobster
  • Woah93Woah93 Veteran
    edited July 2014

@Victorious The telekinesis? One pointedness, willpower and trust in the ability which was the hardest one as a skeptic.

@AldrisTorvalds said:
    At the very least, personally, I know that I'm not trying to gain psychic powers through my practice because I don't think they exist. If I believed, at all, then maybe even on a subconscious level that's what my practice would be all about... after all, who doesn't wanna be a Jedi? ;)  

Believing it or not didn't stop me from trying, now I KNOW... No need to believe anything when you have personal experience to trust, psychic ability isn't hocus spokes and it's increasingly common to see it taken seriously these days which is a good thing, even if just for the fact that it shows signs of open minded people.

Believing anything you fancy just because is different then having an open mind, it's allowing yourself to entertain ideas and reach to whatever conclusion despite of personal opinions or feelings regarding them by my definition. If I didn't do that I would have missed out on a very fun and interesting "6th sense" to play with :)

"Perhaps the best available evidence of Mind Reading at the disposal of the public today is that found in the records of the English Society for Psychical Research. The experiments of the members of this Society and other investigators have resulted in the piling up of a mass of facts more than sufficient to fully establish the correctness of the theory of Mind Reading. "

A quote from the Creery Experiments:

"One of the children was sent into an adjoining room, the door of which was closed. The committee then thought of some object in the house and wrote the name down on paper. The strictest silence was observed. We then all silently thought of the name of the thing selected. In a few seconds the door of the adjoining room opened, and the child would appear generally with the object selected. No one was allowed to leave the room after the object had been fixed upon; no communication with the child was conceivable, as her place was often changed. Further, the only instructions given to the child were to fetch some object in the house that we would fix upon and would keep in mind to the exclusion of all other ideas. In this way we wrote down, among other things, a hairbrush it was brought; an orange it was brought; a wine-glass it was brought; an apple it was brought," etc., etc.

The report to the Society sums up the following results:

Three hundred and eighty-two trials were made in the series. In the test of naming the chosen letters of the alphabet, cards, and numbers of two figures, the chances against the girl were 21 to 1, 51 to 1, and 89 to 1, respectively. In the case of stating chosen surnames the odds against her were very much in excess of the figures just named. In the cases of the experiments of naming chosen cards it was calculated that a mere "guesser," according to the law of probability, would be able to correctly name but seven and one-third out of a total of the three hundred and eighty-two trials.

The actual results obtained by the child were as follows:

On the first attempt, one hundred and twenty-seven; on the second attempt, fifty-six additional, and on the third attempt, nineteen additional making a grand total of two hundred and two successes out of a possible three hundred and eighty-two! On one occasion five cards straight running were successfully named on a first trial. The mathematical chances of a mere "guess" doing this feat, under the Law of Average, or Probabilities, are estimated at over a million to one against the chance. And this was not merely an isolated, exceptional case, for there were other "long runs"; for instance, there were two cases in which runs of eight straight consecutive successes were scored once with names, and once with cards. In the case of the eight consecutive cards it ha been figured that the chances against the girl would figure up at least 140,000,000 to 1, according to the Law of Average and Probabilities. To understand just what this means it may help you if you will think that the feat was like picking out one chosen man in a population of one hundred and forty millions, nearly double the population of the United States. And yet there are people who would dismiss matters like this with the remark, "mere coincidence"!"

I'm not trying to convince you, but I'm curious, why not try new things? Even if they sound ridiculous to you, to many many many people through out history it isn't, doesn't that spark curiosity in you?

PS: For those interested this is a great place to start but remember your ethics if you are good at it, it's quite a bit of power to have when so few are aware this is possible. People can be controlled like puppets lol.

edited July 2014

@Woah93 said:
    Victorious The telekinesis? One pointedness, willpower and trust in the ability which was the hardest one as a skeptic.

PS: For those interested this is a great place to start but remember your ethics if you are good at it, it's quite a bit of power to have when so few are aware this is possible. People can be controlled like puppets lol.

No need to preach to the converted.
    ;) .

Not really like puppets. Try playing darts with someone who doesn't suspect and then with someone who knows. You'll see the difference. And remember (if you did not know) the karma law is not only a sales pitch. Be careful or it will bite you in the arse.

Thanks for the pointers. One pointedness as in no thought and evaluation or higher? Scepticism is hard to beat.

• Woah93Woah93 Veteran

Putting thoughts in a person's mind comes pretty close though, haha. I can have a pretty big influence in decisions of coworkers if I try hard enough, and they would never know lol. I think that is the reason why the higher ups in government and the like are so obsessed with occult rituals, symbols and mind control lol. Just look at the vatican for god's sake, black magic requires child sacrifice and molestation and it's all over the place, and to this day the pope refuses to take actual action.

What I mean with one pointedness is concentration to the point where you BECOME your point of focus, IE becoming the breath in deep meditation. The same must be done to the target you desire to influence. Not thinking about it but really becoming it. Your mind is energy and when it's scattered it won't have much power, but condense it in a tight beam and it becomes a force. I like the comparison with the sun and the magnifying glass you can actually burn stuff that way because you condense the energy.

@Woah93 said:
    Putting thoughts in a person's mind comes pretty close though, haha. I can have a pretty big influence in decisions of coworkers if I try hard enough, and they would never know lol.

>

Coincidence.

I think that is the reason why the higher ups in government and the like are so obsessed with occult rituals, symbols and mind control lol. Just look at the vatican for god's sake, black magic requires child sacrifice and molestation and it's all over the place, and to this day the pope refuses to take actual action.

Could you please substantiate the above comment with verifiable data.
    Statements of this kind are not skilful, unless you can support them with a link or evidence.

What I mean with one pointedness is concentration to the point where you BECOME your point of focus, IE becoming the breath in deep meditation. The same must be done to the target you desire to influence. Not thinking about it but really becoming it. Your mind is energy and when it's scattered it won't have much power, but condense it in a tight beam and it becomes a force. I like the comparison with the sun and the magnifying glass you can actually burn stuff that way because you condense the energy.

>

I'm sorry, but the above just sounds like gobbledygook.

• Woah93Woah93 Veteran
    edited July 2014

Haha federica, yes I'm glad most people don't take this seriously, it's a convenient advantage, the tiny... TINY sense of possibility people have. :)

Case in point; are you born under a rock? These things are recorded on camera, A vast amount of US political figures including the bush family's have been recorded performing satanic rituals at bohemian grove. It's everywhere on youtube. Christ it has even been on mainstream news. Masonic symbols are on every part of institution and it's in your face, obelisks, owls, pyramids, capstones, eyes, the sun, pentagrams... Even the 1 dollar bill is loaded with symbols.

The masons were directly involved in the roman church. Even christianity is a symbol for for the resurrection of Osiris, after his body parts were returned by Isis. Which is conveniently enough the name given to the terrorists armed by NATO (captured on camera) who are now raping country's in the middle east, exactly in the same order that was stated in US documents.

But yeah you know... the oldest religions in the world have all been practising nonsense, let's forget about the fact that it has influenced and still is influencing major parts of society, the fact that they can even get away with this very old strategy of problem-reaction-solution AGAIN bewilders me. UN is now asking for cease fire, people yell at obama to do something and get his shit together, he waits it out patiently till they arrive at Israel and bring his awesome democracy which the US doesn't even have to yet another poor country. And people's ignorance and will to look away allows for this to happen, daily slaughters of CHILDREN and you decide to believe it's all the fault of evil religious bearded men. Shame on you. I've had about enough of this ridicule for expressing these views, and excactly that ridicule is what surpresses so many people to be able to properly speak out. So I will say it again. Shame on you..

The sad part is though, that while you are choosing to be confined to the vastly inferior language of letters and words, you are being laughed at in your face and you don't even know it.

Even your political views are subconsciously manipulated. At 0:24 notice the word "RATS" being flashed on the screen simultaneously with the word bureaucrats to create a mental connection.

These seemingly insignificant method of suggestion creates a powerfull connection in the brain after constant exposure and repetition. How convenient that everybody owns and watches TV, how convenient that this method is rarely mentioned or known about. Yes I studied media, and worked as an editor, and yes, some are required to put these things in all the time. But it's all for giggles, it's gullible people practicing crazy voodoo :)

Symbols aren't just pretty or mysterious things, the amount of information which comes through the eyes is far superior to other senses, and with just a few symbols you can get across a story which would take a book writing it in letters if you are trained. The added benefit as well being that you only consciously take in a small part of what you see but your subconscious remembers all, so it is a cunning way of manipulation, communicating idea's and using the full potential of unconscious processing.

Disney is loaded with subliminal messages, which were removed from DVD after being caught numerous times. Disney teenage girls are suddenly acting like porn stars after being a perfect little princess. Cultural manipulation that is going on for centuries, and my god is it working. Kids the age of 12 are having sex and getting pregnant.

Movies are loaded with them of course. Secret society's have been identified through out the years. History is LOADED with this thousands of years back. It seems clear that you don't have any interest in how the world works or you would have at least know part of what humans have been doing all this time. Any how I'm not bothered to go and accumulate all these testimony's, data and evidence. If you want to know, then find out, if not then simply don't, but you're missing a huge part of the human puzzle. Not that I care, like I said, it's pretty damn convenient.

Peace out :)