Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

When Siddhartha got enlightment ?

rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran

Just think about it!!
please correct me the data i am referring here if wrong.

It is said that when Buddha attained enlightenment and he opened his eyes then five sadhus said that he broke his promise and he want to enter into homely life again due to desires, but when Buddha said that he has enlightenment then no one believed him and they left him. Afterwords Buddha needed to give them proof.

or

Siddhartha attained truth and enlightment after he was starving to death during meditation and ate kheer offered by Sujata . That extremities are not solution but the middle path.

Comments

• rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran

Please also answer me that isn't life is idle after becoming enlightened?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Before Enlightenment, wash dishes, go shopping, brush teeth.

After enlightenment, wash dishes, go shopping, brush teeth.

rohit
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@rohit said:
    Just think about it!!

It is said that when Buddha attained enlightenment and he opened his eyes then five sadhus said that he broke his promise and he want to enter into homely life again due to desires, but when Buddha said that he has enlightenment then no one believed him and they left him. Afterwords Buddha needed to give them proof.

>

Not that I know of. He found them and preached the first sermon at deer Park, and they then knew him to have been Enlightened.

or

Siddhartha attained truth and enlightment after he was starving to death during meditation and ate kheer offered by Sujata . That extremities are not solution but the middle path.

Correct. Middle way. Not too much, nor too little. balance.

Why is this important?

So even after enlightment Buddha was learning new things?
    Isn't enlightenment is a complete achievement?

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2014

@rohit said:
    Just think about it!!

or

No, his five former companions, who admired his extreme asceticism, abandoned the Buddha after he realized self-mortification was a dead end and began to take food again. They saw this as giving up and becoming self-indulgent rather than growing spiritually.

Once he became enlightened, however, he went in search of them to let them know that he'd found a better way, a way avoiding the extremes of self-mortification and sensual indulgence, and that through this way he'd finally attained the goal. At first, they sought to give him the cold shoulder, but after seeing his peaceful contanance and recognizing the wisdom in his words, they became his first disciples.

Toraldrisrohitpersonlobster

@Jason said:
    Once he became enlightened, however, he went in search of them to let them know that he'd found a better way, a way avoiding the extremes of self-mortification and sensual indulgence, and that through this way he'd finally attained the goal. At first, they sought to give him the cold shoulder, but after seeing his peaceful contanance and recognizing the wisdom in his words, they became his first disciples.

So these two things happened in sequence...
    Thanks for the answer. :)

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2014

A version of this story in the Pali Canon can be found here. The mention of Sujata can be found in the commentaries (see this).

rohit
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@rohit said:

Yes, but I also think her act of compassion had a lot to do with his awakening.

rohit