Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Boo!

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

It's Halloween month! Our sister site usually has an annual costume party about this time...but since most of us here can't attend...we'll have to throw the virtual kind of Halloween/costume party, hahaha.

Here's a little Halloween history information with some "Did you know?" vids....

http://www.history.com/topics/halloween

Get your costumes and pics ready! I won't be doing the usual carving of the smiley pumpkin this year...but I will post a pic of what I decide to do. I expect to see plenty of tricks and treats from everyone. :)

Hungry ghosts are welcome!!

To be cont......

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I don't participate on principle.

Said the 'bah-humbug' party-pooper.....

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited October 2014

It's all good.

If the party gets too rowdy...you'll make an appearance, I'm sure .. ;) ..

Hamsaka
  • ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

But it's Christmas Season...

VastmindKundo
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

Which is the sister site?

@ourself said:
    Which is the sister site?

Icrontic ... "If geeks love it, we're on it"

http://icrontic.com/discussions

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Halloween is slowly becoming popular in Australia.

We'll probably trick and treat with the kids so I'll post some pics of their outfits on the night......

• must have candy....

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Jeffrey said:
    must have candy....

Trick or treat was a US dentist's brainwave . :D ..

JeffreyKundo
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited October 2014

Over the millennia the holiday transitioned from a somber pagan ritual to a day of merriment, costumes, parades and sweet treats for children and adults.

I think I'd prefer a sombre pagan ritual. :p .

{sound of water canon being started up}

'The Halloween Monk'

...."“All my life I have begging bowl. But this is not begging bowl. Today I have giving bowl! Wonderful, wonderful. I like Halloween!”

Peter Aronson shares the story of his unique Buddhist Halloween

http://shambhalasun.com/sunspace/the-halloween-monk-3/

Kundo

If anyone asks.....on Oct 31...I will be ....the smiling pear in the pic!! lololololol

along with....., a princess, a butterfly, a ghost, and Mummy.

I didn't carve any of the pumpkins this year...... Maybe this week-end.

Trick or Treat is on for my cube at work!! ..... :) ..

Fun Holiday here and for us!!

edited October 2014

Seriously.....

• OM YA HA HUM HRIH

That pear is terrifying. a bunch of them would make a great tart or flan. Maybe they could discuss the best way of cooking themselves? Sentient pears, ah well one day - once commercial genetics goes to hell . . .

. . . Talking of sentient killing . . .

If you meet the Buddha, kill him. (逢佛殺佛)
    Linji

As far as I am concerned that is a waste of a good Buddha, unless you are speaking of the hindrances of too much enlightenment, you lucky dog. In the less superstitious hierarchy of Buddhist Tantra, demons, stray Hindu gods, Mara the Marvel comic and his dancing daughters are all part of the imagined visualisation of interior states, experiences and mind waffle.

The original sense of "demon" in the west was a benevolent being but centuries of silliness and religion has given the hellish connotations of malevolence . . .
    Mara as chief tempter, "prince of darkness," or "Evil One" became the stooge Mo in the Chinese Buddhist pantheon.

Other fun facts: The dark arts (which I practice) was the original name for alchemy which came from the fertile Nile valley of Egypt, renowned for its fertile black silt soil.

Does your house have a finial to stop witches parking on your roof?
    http://www.rooffinials.co.uk/what-are-finials.html

Go Mo. Happy Halloween. Picnic time.

OM YA HA HUM HRIH

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Maybe if he'd actually married the girl and stayed black, he wouldn't have had so many problems.....

• did you know he had a skin disease?

Allegedly. There has been so much reported about the man I frankly don't think there is even a fine line between fact and fiction.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

I think the skin decease was the excuse he provided to justify his artificially-induced ever whitening skin.
    But "Thriller" is always a perfect Halloween clip.