Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Your healthy habits

Hi all,

Do you have any particular habits you developed intentionally for your health?
Just curious what others are doing specifically for health.
I have started drinking warm lemon water every morning 6-7 months ago.
Recently did a health assessment which says I have cholesterol issues. :eek:
I am not overweight, weighting 51.7kg (I think).
Age - 29
Total - 5.6 mmol/L
HDL - 1.8 mmol/L
LDL - 3.5 mmol/L
Triglycerides - 0.6 mmol/L

Thinking to add plenty of oatmeal, avocado, tomato and garlic.

May you all be healthy. :)

Comments

• What a wonderful thread idea @mmo :) .

Garlic, oh yes and ginger when possible, also great spices like turmeric, cinnamon etc.
    Herbs such as sage, rosemary, thyme etc.

Fruit and veg as much as possible. Tomatoes even tinned or in cartons is one of my fav.

Basically food as medicine.

More walking to get around, usually quite fast. Walking is free exercise . . . if it was good enough for the Buddha . . .

• edited October 2014

Plenty of anti-oxidant rich foods/beverages such as macha green, red cabbage & pomegranate (Fruit and veg in general).
    Zero animal products to lower igf-1 and methionine levels but also to reduce cholesterol (as a cancer preventative and age extension strategy) .
    Supplements include flax and hemp seed for omega 3, vitamin d3 and B12 which- I trust- is healthier for vegans.

Oatmeal is a good source of soluble fiber and blocks cholesterol. Garlic is a good anti-bacterial among other things.

May you also be healthy.

• howhow Veteran Veteran

I've convinced myself that taking some blueberries (anti oxidants) everyday has kept me cold free for the last couple of years. No pills or supplements.
    A daily lunch sandwich of avocado, cheese, lettuce and balsamic vinegar.
    I go to the the gym every couple of days for 30 minutes of strenuous weight exercises. 30 minutes of fast walking to and from the gym is my nod to cardio.
    A varied vegetarian diet but the health aspect of it is only eating till I am 2/3 full and no more. 8 hours sleep every night. A tendency to look at any developing stress in my life as my teacher asking me "to make a priority of facing it's cause".

I am not sure what proportion of the above is placebo based or not but as my overall health is better than any of my friends..I'll stick with it.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I gave up the bleedin' booze and fags, and I ain't doing nuffink else. :p .

ZenshinlobsterHamsaka
  • mmommo Veteran

@lobster, Yes tomatoes are awesome. A great base for all those delicious dishes.

• Prawns, tomatoes, coriander, garlic, onion dish
    • Spicy dried fish or dried shrimps tomato dish
      I also keep a package of tinned tomatoes in the cupboard.
      Tomato basil soup is also great.
      Walking is great. I am just hoping that the weather is not too wet like this morning all the time.
      @ownerof1000oddsocks‌, fruits and vegs are essential for the well-being. I tried to bring some fruits (Mostly apples and nectarines) in the lunch boxes these days. I have been taking quite strong prescription vitamin d as well (cholecalciferol I think).
      @how, Avocado sandwich recipe is cool. I will try it out sometimes. A friend mention of a soup made of avocado. Will ask next time how it is made.
      @SpinyNorman‌, is it alien language? :P

Yus, it's cockney. :D .

mmo
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Although far from where I should be, in the last 2 years I improved my heart function from a lousy 59% to 92%. While I occasionally miss a few days here and there, I try to do a 1.5 mile walk (either outdoors or around the track at the YMCA) OR 20 minutes on the weight machines at the Y almost every day.

Since retiring 7 years ago, I have dropped from 265 to 217, and 16 pounds of that was since last June.

Although I still wouldn't class myself as a good eater, I have improved my diet. I have reduced my "dessert-type" snacks to once a day (usually), substituting things like low-fat swiss cheese for nibbling. Fish or shrimp dinner at least once a week. More veggies than I used to eat. At least one dish a week that contains some of the more healthy spices such as mentioned by @Lobster. A switch recommended by my doctor from butter to Smart Balance Spread. At least some whole grain breads on occasion. Reasonable reduction in sodium. Reduced my soda intake from about four 16 ounce bottles a day to one 12 ounce serving of non-caffeinated root beer per day. Increased my water intake to...well, a goal of eight 16 ounce bottles of water per day (although I usually only get up to 5 or 6 per day). Reduced portions of things like pasta, though I still love it. Increased my intake of nuts and at least an occasional yogurt. More apt to purchase at least some products which contain Splenda instead of regular sugar. Occasionally bake a fruit flan, and eat somewhat more fruit than I used to.

mmo
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2014

I eat grape tomatoes which have one calorie and fill the stomach. Also bell peppers (green and red) not sure what they are called 'across the pond'. I just snack on these.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

Do you have any particular habits you developed intentionally for your health?
    Just curious what others are doing specifically for health.

I do meditation practice. It's very healthy! :)

Plus, I'm a pure vegetarian and east mostly a whole foods plant based diet. But, that really isn't intentionally for my health. The healthy diet is more of a side benefit. :)

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

I have weight to lose too, and three weeks ago eliminated sugar and all other simple carbohydrates from my diet. I am not fond of meat (eating the bodies of critters that would prefer to live in spite of how good they taste) so I've had to be creative. My body has been throwing a MASSIVE temper tantrum from the molecular level on up. I don't know how I have made it this far but in the last couple of days there seems to be a 'shift'.

I have endured almost daily nausea and lethargy while my body and it's populations of gut bacteria die off and regrow to handle the lack of simple sugars and carbs. I have an invisible bruise on my left wrist from massaging the accupressure point for nausea (one taught to me by my chemotherapy patients, I can't believe it but it works).

The upside is a big bowl of broccoli tastes better than heaven. A couple of inches off the waist and five pounds seems like not much for the agony, and I have a HIGH tolerance for physical discomfort. But this was a transition period and shouldn't plague me much here on out.

I used to weight train and am one of those Irish farmwoman types that grows huge muscles, which kind of shocked me but were a fair exchange for a huge ass. I have put off doing this until I felt my body settling down.

Two nights ago I was completely miserable and it hit me that my body was really suffering. I spent time metta'ing the poor thing, just a hungry confused animal, and then visualizing me leaping like a gazelle across the barnyard rather than my current waddle and limp (bad knee). I believe I may have gotten through to it :) that I'm not TRYING to deprive it but prepare it for better thing to come :) .

JeffreylobsterReborn
  • @Hamsaka‌ be kind to that hungry confused animal. I spent two years on an extremely strict diet for health reasons. Things that seem mundane, do become delicious. I was allowed to eat protein and fat for calories but carbs were mostly out and sugars, even fruit based were out (anti candida diet).

It is amazing or maybe not how what we think is very directly linked to our diet. :) .

I did the low carb thing 15 years ago and made the 'transition' without bodily rebellion, so I didn't expect such a wrestling match. I knew from past experience I would feel SO much better, with no sugar cravings and delighted with vegetables. Today and yesterday have been . . . whew, so much better. I don't think my body has much of a penchant for delaying gratification, it was like telling a 2 year old 'but this is soooo good for you' and said 2 year old throwing self on floor in toddler anguish.

That's why it hit me to try and 'communicate' with my body, flood it with concern, as it must have felt confused and maybe tortured lol!

Supposedly low carbohydrate diets are THE treatment de jour for candidiasis, and though it's not been supported much by research, people swear by treating candida this way (hmm, reminds me of another current thread). The candida 'die off' after their supply of refined sugars and carb are cut. This floods the system with, well, dead cells that must be cleared out, thus a lot of the symptoms I was having. The rest of your gut bacteria, similarly accustomed to donuts and pasta, die off and there's a period of time before more appropriate gut bugs populate, and this period of time can be rough.

Was your candida problem relieved @Lobster, just curious?

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

. :) .. I try to stay with an ethical diet/life style ie I'm ovo-lacto vegetarian(not much eggs though-when I do they're free range) I meditate every day (twice a day) I walk a lot, I don't drink alcohol, nor do I smoke tobacco...And my drug of choice is life . :) ..

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited October 2014

@Hamsaka said:
    Was your candida problem relieved Lobster, just curious?

:) .
    Yes. Diet, supplemental garlic, probiotics, and exercise were the main helps for me on the physical level. On the internal side this sort of understanding of dis-ease was useful . . .

Hamsaka
  • mmommo Veteran

I think I gone too crazy with eggs, because it was easy for me to prepare. They are high in Cholesterol.

• mmommo Veteran

My main food is basmati rice. Doctor recommends eating brown basmati. But I am not sure. The other thing which might contribute to the Cholestrol problem is I cook rice in rice cooker. Traditionally, my family cooks the rice in hot water and drain it when the rice is soft and fluffy. Then the rice is put back on the stove to dry any leftover water. Just sharing my thoughts and ways. :D

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@lobster said:
    It is amazing or maybe not how what we think is very directly linked to our diet. :) .

>

Actually, if you were to study TCM, you would not be amazed at all.

In TCM, the Stomach is the seat of Thought.
    Food for thought, I'll chew on that, "Read mark and inwardly digest ..." that's a painful truth to swallow,.....

Not amazing for one moment.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited October 2014

@federica said:
    In Traditional Chinese Medicine, the Stomach is the seat of Thought.

I eat, therefore I think.
    Des a la carte

Hamsaka
  • Yoga.

I got into it about six or seven years ago after a severe bout of tendonitis threatened to end my musical career.

Yoga was something I was always interested in but I couldn't seem to get of my duff and start until I couldn't play the guitar any more.

My wife followed me into Yoga about a year after I started. She realized what a gift it can be and decided to become a Yoga teacher so she could help share the gift with others.

I now look at the tendonitis as a blessing.

lobsterBunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@lobster said:
    Des a la carte

>

Oh, actually, that's very good! :lol: .

• I find adding ginger,onions,garlic and hot peppers to the brown rice very tasty. I don't completely peel the ginger. Its fun to experiment. Finding what is in harmony with your inner system will prepare you for better living. Chew your food well and slowly.

• Mmo- i know i took a vow, but you're pretty cute!

lobsterVastmind
  • mmommo Veteran

Yes. ginger, garlic and onion are essential for all dishes for me. I fry them first in olive oil and either fish, prawns or fishes.

I know Yoga is supposed to be very good. Need to find a time to go to the proper class for that. I live on my own. So don't want to get stuck in that weird position at home.

@lamaramadingdong‌, what did I say? :D

DairyLama
  • ToshTosh Veteran

I run distance. All those aches and pains, the ones I used to wake up with, I don't seem to wake up with them any more.

I often have tired legs though.

But the positives are that my weight is good, without having to watch what I eat; I'm sure it's good for my mental health too, and I have a decent sense of general well being.

I also use running as part of my spiritual practise.

I've got a 42 mile ultra marathon lined up for May next year (ran all in one go); just training for it now. I'm not sure how healthy that is for you mind!

mmoHamsaka
  • mmommo Veteran

Tosh, it is quite a good habit you have there. Is marathon organised by the council? And you register for it?

Lama,
    The profile pic is quite cute ;) I am pretty sure that everyone will find it cute.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited October 2014

mmo, cholesterol in meat/eggs does not translate to high blood serum cholesterol. They are finding more and more (loads of studies out now) that high blood cholesterol is caused much more so by sugar and simple carbs.
    To make a long story short (and I am leaving some things out, but just the very basics) cholesterol in your blood is created by the body to basically patch holes in your veins. When you eat a lot of simple carbs, junk food, sugar, candy, pop, even too much juice, your blood sugar goes up. Excess sugar in the blood contributes greatly to the faster decline of the vascular system. So, the body creates more cholesterol in order to patch the damage done by the constantly elevated blood sugar. You do NOT have to be diabetic for this to be the case, but diabetics are well known for a much higher risk for vascular and nerve problems for exactly this reason.
    If you read up on recent studies, you'll find quickly that more and more, they are showing that for most people, fat in the diet is NOT what is causing high cholesterol levels.

Anyhow. As far as healthy habits, I mediate and exercise daily. I do yoga every day and I lift weights a few days a week along with other cardio activities like biking and hiking. I eat a clean diet, with a lot of variety of vegetables and fruits (except high glycemic ones). I don't smoke, I drink very very rarely. I rarely take medications unless totally necessary. I do take fish oil and vitamin D supplements. I don't drink pop, I don't eat junk food (well, rarely), I track what I eat to stay in balance. I make sure to manage stress as best I can and deal with problems as soon as possible before they create stress. I also drink a lot of turmeric and ginger tea, which is excellent with just a bit of honey. I grow a garden and make as much from scratch as I can. For me, it's a total body thing. Not just even my body, but my entire family, our pets, and our home and yard.

Hamsakalobsterownerof1000oddsocksmmo

Fats in general, though they continue to be touted as Enemy Number One by most powers that be, are not. In the presence of our modern high refined carbohydrate diet, they might be, but without, our bodies use them efficiently.

The cholesterol thing has long been 'proven' false, people with high cholesterol don't have it in the absence of other metabolic disarrays. It's a typical confusion between correlation and causation.

A low cholestrol 'diet' might be healthy in spite of itself, though. But eating eggs every day is not injecting pure cholesterol into your veins. It gets digested, broken into its constituents like everything else we eat. The mechanism that creates cholesterol formation can make all the cholesterol it wants out of the lowest cholesterol diet.

I hate to tell someone this if they've counted on a low cholesterol diet, believing it is doing them a particular sort of good. I'm sure it is a healthy diet anyway.

mmo
  • Refined sugars do not contain any anti-oxidants. So perhaps it is not sugars per se but the types of sugars outlined (processed ones) that lead to a decline in cardiovascular health and subsequent rise in cholesterol.

Animal products do clog the arteries due to cholesterol build-up. Of course this isn't going to prevent normal functioning, whatever normal is personally, just that overdoing it can stop oxygen getting to where it's needed. Anyway, the cardiovascular system will decline irrespective of a low- refined- sugar diet, so instead of blaming this or that it could be a combination of factors.

There are studies that purportedly show that dead bacteria from animal products enter the cardiovascular system and tend to cause an inflammatory response. It's known as endotoxemia; the arteries cannot relax and contract effectively due to inflammation. Something to consider if you are planning high exertion after a meal containing animal products.

• mmommo Veteran

Sugar seems to be culprit for raised cholesterol level. I do have a pinch of sugar in dishes and occasional biscuits at work. That doesn't sound too bad, I hope. I used to drink tons of orange juice which are claimed to be not from concentrate and no added sugar. Recently, I started to watch what they actually contain by reading labels. Juice seems to be evil if consumed more than 1-2 small glasses. Sometimes, wonder if what you have before the test can distort the test results, because it takes some time to get the food into the blood stream. I might have my tests done at the wrong time, probably.

The animal derived food problem may probably be true also. I had heard somewhere that, in factory farming, antibiotics are used excessively that they are detected in the milk and chickens. So when people eat too much of these, this could obviously cause problems in the body. Cow milk is seemed to be notorious for messing up the human hormones as well. I also read that the inflammation can be caused by imbalanced omega 3-6 content, where 3 is anti and 6 being pro inflammatory. That why the fish oil seemed to be praised everywhere for the high omega 3 content. Some cooking oil seem to contain high amount of omega 6 which are really bad arthritis sufferers who are prone to inflammations in joints.

authoritynutrition.com/optimize-omega-6-omega-3-ratio/

• ToshTosh Veteran

@lamaramadingdong said:
    Just looking at your profile pic- you're my type.

If you like Geordie-Japanese guys with missing teeth, I'm right up your street!

As for races, some are organised by the local council, some by running clubs, some by charities and others by events companies. It just depends.

lobster
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited October 2014

Juice does have good stuff for you in it, but it is very concentrated sugar, and so in a small amount you are still getting a lot of sugar. Our youngest son is a diabetic, and the thing we give him that raises his blood sugar the fastest is orange juice. The response is immediate.

yes there is a big difference between processed sugar and sugar in things like fruits and vegetables. But even among those, there are high and low glycemic loads, and most of what you eat should be in the mid to low range of glycemic load. Bananas for example are definitely good for you, but they are best to eat before activity because they have a higher glycemic index and a lot of sugar. About 30 grams of sugar per banana. yes, you get vitamins and other things, too. But your body processes the sugar the same whether you get it from a banana or 2 Reese's peanut butter cups (actually, because of the chocolate and the peanut butter, the sugar in those is a bit slower to process into your bloodstream than the fructose in a banana...) White breads, bagels, pastries, and pastas are among the worst offenders in the typical American diet.

I know several vegetarians who have poor health because they eat so much of the white junk even though they don't eat meat. Red meat has a lot of saturated fat in it, which even though you do need it, you need to not eat too much of it (if you choose to eat it). White meat poultry has next to no saturated fat in it as long as you trim it. Saturated fat and cholesterol are not the same and don't have the same response in the body. Eating foods with cholesterol does not cause a rise in blood serum cholesterol. This has become common knowledge but it takes more than a decade for new information to reach medical practice, on average (depending on country, I imagine). Too much saturated fat in the diet definitely can cause health concerns. But it is not directly related to the rise in blood serum cholesterol even a smidgen as much as we have previously been told it did.

If saturated fat were the root of our diet evils, we'd have thinned out as a society many years ago Instead, we replaced our whole milk and butter and eggs and bacon with white bread and bagels and marjarine...and we're fatter and sicker than ever.

Alot of the problem with milk products is that even in it's pure state, milk is meant to grow baby cows, to adult cows, in a fairly short period of time. Many, many people lose the ability to properly digest casein, especially as we get older and our insistence on eating it anyhow creates a lot of problems for many people.

What you ate directly before a cholesterol test probably did not have a large impact on the result of the test. Many tests that they do show an overall picture of the state of the body over a period of several weeks, or even months. For example, we test our son's blood sugar many times a day. But every 12 weeks he has another blood test done that tells us his average blood sugar over the 12 week period. So what he eats right now, impacts what shows when we check him in 30 minutes, but by itself does not have a direct, immediate impact on the other test. Many other tests are the same way.

Toshrobotmmo
  • ToshTosh Veteran

I've read fruit juice isn't great as it's mostly sugar-water, so I tend to avoid it. I've got a juicer, which is great, but it's so messy it's not something I want to use regularly, so I've just purchased a blender, which means I'll be consuming all the fruit/veg, including all the fibre; but it's a lot easier to clean - according to the reviews.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

I eat a lot of Kimchi! But not really because it's healthy, but more because it's delicious! :)

@mmo said:The animal derived food problem may probably be true also.

I think one of the main problems with a largely animal based food diet is a lack of fiber. No animal products have any fiber at all so if you eat mostly animal products you have a low fiber intake by default.

• mmommo Veteran
    edited October 2014

I got one juicer too, I got it on a couple of gift vouchers from banks :buck: . It is good things, I also don't use it often as I should be. The juicer does have bits and pieces which need washing after and that is not so cool. By the way, @Tosh, the running thing you have there, I will try to copy it from you .

@seeker242‌, are you a Korean? I remember watching a Korean TV program which suggests some Kimchi are made of meat as well. I could be wrong.

Tosh

I personally make a lot of my own kimchi, and while I have never come across Kimchi containing meat, I know that there are recipes which include raw squid or cuttlefish, raw prawns or Nam Pla - Fish sauce.
    These macerate and mature within the pickle during the fermentation process, and add to the pickle with no detrimental flavour or dangers...
    Utterly delicious stuff!

• ToshTosh Veteran
    edited October 2014

Is kimichi anything like Japanese pickles? I don't know the name for Japanese pickles, but I used to love the picked (spelling) diakon (like a big horseraddish thing). It was a yellow colour.

• mmommo Veteran

Kimchi is mainly cabbage. Homemade kimchi sounds awesome. I used to eat a lot of beansprout pickle, it is crunchy and enhances the meal as well. Just water and sugar is needed to make one.

Tosh

Kimchi can also be made using daikon alone, although certainly, the cabbage is the prevalent and dominant ingredient, most of the time. This is the cabbage in question, although I have made it using Savoy cabbage, which also works well.
    I would say that it's not so much that Kimchi is an accompaniment to dishes - it seems that Kimchi is eaten all the time, and other dishes supplement its wholesome goodness by enhancing the meal! :D

Tosh
  • ToshTosh Veteran

Cheers; I'm off to google for some kimichi recipes.

• ToshTosh Veteran
    edited October 2014

@‌federica, I know you're in the UK; where do you get Korean red pepper from?

And if on-line, Amazon sell a Korean red pepper paste (which seems more economical); will that do?

Or do you use something else?

I'll be completely honest, I either use cayenne and paprika mixed, or sweet paprika and chilli flakes, to taste. I was advised by a young Korean Student I met where I previously lived, that the mix was acceptable....

The 'heat' of the pickle is a point of experimentation. What might appear mild and innocuous to some, will appear like atomic-level gelignite to others....

ToshHamsaka
  • ToshTosh Veteran

Thanks, Fed; I love chilli, so I'll try a paprika and chilli flake mix.

I eat a banana every day. So there. :p .

Reborn

I prefer slightly under-ripe ones to those with brown patches and soft flesh... my father on the other hand, loved an over-ripe banana.

(i had to be careful how I phrased the above. After all, this IS a family show!)

• mmommo Veteran

Chilli from Holland and Barrett is nice.

• ToshTosh Veteran

I'm doing my long Saturday run, early tomorrow morning; it's 14 miles running from where I live down one side of the Wye Valley, across the bridge at Tintern, then back home down the other side of the Wye.

I've already had a large glass of beetroot juice, which always makes me think I have bowel cancer when, later after I've forgotten all about it, I go to the toilet. Beetroot juice really helps with endurance sports; there's some science to it; but I feel the difference.

And this is my post run recovery drink. It's water, three large fistfuls of spinach, a thumb sized piece of ginger (meant to be a natural anti-inflammatory) and two small bananas. It's in the fridge waiting for me. And as you'd expect, it tastes ruddy 'orrible.

mmo
  • mmommo Veteran

My mum loves banana. She always has it after meals. She likes sweet too much and sometimes have it with honey. The good thing about it is that it is quite filling.

It is cool that you can stay regular with running. For me I got parents visiting, need to spend some time with them for now. But I will definitely run later. :clap: I try to like the green juice after watching some youtube video. It was really different and I need to get used to the taste. I have better luck with carrots juice though :D . I heard that epsom salts bath are relaxing for muscle aches after physical exercise, which might be useful for runners.

Note to 'juicers':
    Carrot is probably the only vegetable you can universally mix with any fruit drink.

Apple is probably the only fruit you can universally mix with any vegetable drink.

seeker242lobsterDavid
  • mmommo Veteran

Federica, thanks.