Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

In Your Life, What Is The Hardest Thing To Accept

We often hear people say things like I can't stand liars, or thieves, or pedophiles, or arrogant people. I was wondering in your lives, which is the hardest thing to accept?

Paradoxically, for me it is judgmental people. LOL I imagine I am not like them but I am actually behaving exactly in the way they are by judging them.

BunksTosh

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited November 2014

hmm, well, arrogance is a tough one. Arrogance and judgmentalism can have consequences, you know. In a work context, they can prevent people from getting jobs, from networking career-wise and advancing in their careers, for one thing.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

That's a really good question. I guess the quick n easy answer for me would be liars, because there are so many creative ways to lie! The pain and trouble it causes people is heartbreaking.

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Mine is liers too. Its still hard for me accept people can look you right in the eye and
    tell a bold face lie. Also....injustice. In the online retreat that @Chaz set us up on...one
    of the subjects was how hard it can be to accept and sit with the social issues going
    on in the world. When your socially active working for the better of the group..it can
    be hard to accept some things wont change or may get worse or too slow to change.

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

It's been hardest for me to accept that there is no solution, no happy Hollywood ending, that everything either dies or crumbles and is forgotten. That there is no 'force' looking out for me personally.

It's been even harder to accept my personal responsibility in all this -- to even begin to understand my responsibility, much less accept it wholeheartedly.

Vastmind
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

In Your Life, What Is The Hardest Thing To Accept?

Stupid people being able to breed. Not much I can do about it, so I try to focus on making sure I'm not one of them and that I can try to leave the world a better place than when I entered it. shrugs

BunksBuddhadragonmmo
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Good question!

Not much really. People mistreating kids is one I can't fathom but often they've been mistreated themselves so it's just a vicious cycle.

Buddhadragon
  • Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran
    People who harm animals, children, and vulnerable people in society. It leaves me outraged and heartbroken. I try to remember Buddha nature while decrying the actions, but, man, it's really hard at times.
    vinlynBuddhadragonmmoNerima
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited November 2014

@Vastmind said:
    Mine is liers too. Its still hard for me accept people can look you right in the eye and
    tell a bold face lie. Also....injustice. In the online retreat that Chaz set us up on...one
    of the subjects was how hard it can be to accept and sit with the social issues going
    on in the world. When your socially active working for the better of the group..it can
    be hard to accept some things wont change or may get worse or too slow to change.

Man's cruelty to man in general (and wo-man). Whether it's lying, swindling, harming, abusing, whatever. What gets me is the fact that humans have the capacity to create heaven on Earth, truly. But look at what they do instead. :(

BunksVastmindsilverJeffrey
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

The hardest thing for me to accept is whatever I am unwilling to face in this particular moment.

VastmindlobsterBuddhadragonmmo

You didnt answer the question. Are u unwilling to? @how

SarahT
  • Ignorance.

You didnt answer the question.

Everyone knows it. We all live with it. Everyone has it.

Trite?
    Must be ignorance.

Rowan1980Buddhadragonmmo
    edited November 2014

@lobster said:
    Ignorance.

Ignorance does sum it all up, doesn't it?. I'm detail orientated....hahahaha.....

Trite? Nope. Spot on....but investigations into the causes/roots sure can help wash those nasty defilements away.

The devil is in the details. Was that trite?
    Must be too much rum cake today. :D

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited November 2014

@Vastmind

To elaborate on what you found wanting within my answer..

The hardest things to accept are not really the occasional emotional kickers that we can all self righteously get behind but are instead the more continuous moment to moment obfuscations that maintain my own dream production.

lobster
  • I have been alone for a long time (in terms of not having a partner). I have a hard time accepting that I may live the rest of my life alone, too.

@how said:
    I did answer the question.
    The hardest things to accept are not really the occasional emotional kickers that we can all self righteously get behind but are instead the more continuous moment to moment obfuscations of our own dream production.

Come again?

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited November 2014

@Vastmind
    Put another way...

Look at the ebb and flow of the phenomena unfolding before you now in each evolving nano second. Our manipulation of that info is the real evidence of what we are actually finding hardest to accept. We do not need to search for the things that give us the largest emotional charges to label as the hardest when the most minute of phenomena that are happening right now is what is really dictating our habituated responses.

lobsterVastmind
  • To elaborate on what you found wanting within my answer..

An answer can be perfect and complete. Through ignorance we try to make it less than complete. We ignore its possibilities and insist it fulfill our imagined needs.

Our needs are never complete, until we let the ignorance go.

edited November 2014

Ok....gotcha that time. Thats a tall order, though. I think it takes looking at the kickers and then working in from there. Thats where Zen can get a bad rep, IMO.

Thanks for explaining again. I do appreciate it :)

@how

lobster
  • suffering in my subtle body from medicines

• @Vastmind said:
    Ok....gotcha that time. Thats a tall order, though. I think it takes looking at the kickers and then working in from there. Thats where Zen can get a bad rep, IMO.

Thanks for explaining again. I do appreciate it :)

how

Lojong a technique in restructuring egoistic thought says to work on the coursest defilements first.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

In Your Life, What Is The Hardest Thing To Accept ?

The Ignorance of not knowing...I don't think I'll ever 'accept' it....

Buddhadragon
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

As Buddha predicted, getting old, with all the baggage that comes with that.

Rowan1980BuddhadragonVastmind
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

gifts. Especially edible gifts. Funny it is, too, that in German "das Gift" means poison.

SarahTRowan1980
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@lobster said:
    Ignorance.

Ignorance is the hardest thing to accept.
    The most heinous acts are stemmed in Ignorance.
    And Ignorance also limits man's scope of possibilities, breeds hostility and resentment among people, puts blinkers on man's outlook on life.

bookwormRowan1980silver
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    That some just don't understand that we are all in this thing together.
    VastmindBeej
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

This covers it quite well for me:

"Birth is dukkha, aging is dukkha, death is dukkha; sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief, & despair are dukkha; association with the unbeloved is dukkha; separation from the loved is dukkha; not getting what is wanted is dukkha. In short, the five clinging-aggregates are dukkha."

— SN 56.11

Bodhidharma said:
    "When you meet with adversity don't be upset, because it makes sense."

How so?

Ask Bodhidharma :)

My time machine is in for repairs. :p

Rowan1980DavidKundo

Don't want to sound mean here, Spiny, but the meaning is obvious. >:)
    Have done enough explanation for you today...

vinlyn

Not obvious to me - what do you think it is?

I'll give you a clue: it is related with your comment before mine, Socrates.
    Otherwise, you can start a thread with that quote, and we'll see who hits the jackpot.
    Don't think it is a good idea to derail the thread anymore.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited November 2014
    I'm not so sure it's a derail as the topic is basically boiled down to dukkha

Could it be said that suffering caused by adversity is a good interpretation of dukkha?

I'd like to say dukkha itself is the hardest thing for me to accept but looking back, even dukkha has its use if only in the learning to extinguish.
    Buddhadragon
  • SarahTSarahT Time ... space ... joy South Coast, UK Veteran

@DhammaDragon said:
    Bodhidharma said:
    "When you meet with adversity don't be upset, because it makes sense."

Found this, which may add light:

The more we are able to embrace our sorrow and learn from
    it, the more we will also be capable of experiencing great
    joy. Yet to embrace our sorrow takes a great deal of
    courage. So often we try to soften or resist our pain. In
    every painful situation there is a lesson to be learned.
    Our willingness to be open to this learning ultimately
    brings us to experience a greater joy than we had believed
    possible.

MEDITATION FOR TODAY

May I hang on during my painful times, knowing my pain will
    eventually turn again into joy.

TODAY I WILL REMEMBER

The depth of my sorrow mirrors the peak of my joy.

FROM: TODAY BOOK, ( emotionsanonymous.org ) "(C)Copyright Emotions Anonymous

Perhaps understand joy as enlightenment?

Buddhadragon
    edited November 2014

You see, Spiny? People understood the drift of the quote without much elaboration...

Dukkha is inherent in life, so what would be the point to rail against?
    Why insist on wanting it to be otherwise?
    Cash in the blow, learn a lesson, grow, go with the flow, accept...

I still don't get the bit about diversity "making sense". Maybe somebody who knows about Zen could clarify?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Not DI-versity, AD-versity.

vinlynRowan1980
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@DhammaDragon said: Ignorance is the hardest thing to accept.

The most heinous acts are stemmed in Ignorance.
    And Ignorance also limits man's scope of possibilities, breeds hostility and resentment among people, puts blinkers on man's outlook on life.

Yes. In the clear of the morning, it's crystal-clear that ignorance is 'it'. Because 'it' makes me want to just sit right down and cry, cry, cry. Things that we read about in the news - things that haven't even happened to 'us' - or did it? So much sad stuff around us.

Thanks to the Buddha-man for helping us out of it, huh? <3

Buddhadragon
  • I have given it more thought for myself and I realize, the hardest thing for me to accept is my own shortcomings that I am not even aware of. Or those that I nonchalantly dismiss as unimportant.

My ignorance of my own foibles is easily the strongest reason that I cannot accept that I have them.

namarupalobsterBuddhadragon
  • The hardest thing for me to accept is that there is a degree of difficulty in accepting something, and to not accept that is to overlook that difficulty.

lobsterBuddhadragon
  • @AllbuddhaBound said:
    I have given it more thought for myself and I realize, the hardest thing for me to accept is my own shortcomings that I am not even aware of. Or those that I nonchalantly dismiss as unimportant.

My ignorance of my own foibles is easily the strongest reason that I cannot accept that I have them.

B)

Indeed. It is the 'nonchalant dismissal' of the 'unimportant' that ignores that relevant to changing our condition.

You can cry and try yourself silly but where will change come from . . .

It will come from change. Nowhere else, no one else. Foibles exist. Situation is here and present. Nowhere to go, nothing to change our ignorance . . . except . . . us.

Did you want it spelled out? No need. You always knew that. <3

Here is a picture of a cushion:

namarupa
  • This.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

Hardest to accept from others? For me it's a toss-up between intransigence and people who always have to make a point.

Shoshin
  • ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

The hardest thing I've had to accept, or am trying to accept, is that no matter how reasonable I think I'm being... I can't change someone's beliefs. There's a possibility, but I have to take in stride that people aren't machines that can process new information all the same and come to the same conclusions. I've put myself though plenty of frustration in the past, but it's neither my fault that the world is so divided nor my responsibility to patch it up. I'll try, some, but I have to learn to walk away.

lobstersilverRowan1980
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited December 2014

For me, the hardest thing to accept in my life is even though fortunately I got very good parents, who provided me good education, which gave me a good job, which lead me to being married to a nice woman and then me having a cute daughter and then me strucking spirituality by studying Bhagwad Geeta, then Buddha's teachings, then Dogen's teachings, so even though I got such a good human life, yet unfortunately it seems to me that I might loose this precious gift without ending the defilements of lust, anger, greed, attachment, hatred and ego inside me. What an idiot I am to understand a little bit about ignorance theoretically, but practically the way it is going currently not even in a thousand lifetimes I might be able to reduce a little bit of ignorance. May be this is why I like Dogen's teachings as everything comes down to just a moment in here and now, which is so small in which nothing can practically be done and yet as the teachings say - a moment is complete in itself.

silverHamsaka
  • a moment is complete in itself.

Yep. How about that! Perfectly flawed. o:):p>:)

That will suffice me . . . <3

• Test
  • That there are forces in the mind that I neither understand nor control.

I sometimes get stuck in difficult emotions so deeply that I feel that I am going crazy and all is lost. Efforts to untangle myself from that net only seem to entangle me more.

It is that which I find most difficult to accept.
    silverHamsaka