Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Who wants to introspect some more? - EDITED

Comments

• @genkaku said:
    describing experience never really describes experience because the description itself creates a separation from the experience which the experience-r cannot be separated from.

True. If one would go into the extreme, one would see that in the end every translation of certain experience into words is futile, impossible. Even if you tried to directly report the experience - "in medias res" - by doing so you would already alter the original experience and make it something else ...

However, one can try. The written report of the imagined experience is at least an attempt to get close to the original one; certainly better than with standard quantitative questionnaires ;)

• Also do you want me to think in terms of how being Buddhist affects an experience specifically?

• @Jeffrey said:
    how much detail do you want? For example I could say a person close to me dying would make me sad. Or I could talk more in detail how I would expect that process to be.

Like it's said in the instructions (if you opened the file): at least 5 sentences per question.

Also do you want me to think in terms of how being Buddhist affects an experience specifically?

I don't want you to think this or that way. YOU are the one deciding what and how to describe - do it freely and without reservations :)

Can I message you here and you cut and paste to a word doc?

You could as well write me private messages. Can't you do it in your file? It can be any other format, like .txt, for example ...

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

The instructions ask for at least 5 sentences. Most of mine were probably like 7-10 sentences.

• @Spiral_69 I think I can do it in Pages and export it as word or pdf. I am sick today and five sentences is too much at the moment.

• @Jeffrey said:
    Spiral_69 I think I can do it in Pages and export it as word or pdf. I am sick today and five sentences is too much at the moment.

Take your time them and don't worry. I'm glad that you're willing to cooperate, anyway ;)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

When are you scheduled to complete the research and hand in your evaluative work?

I'm just wondering how big this mountain is.
    I did complete the form by the way.

• @federica said:
    When are you scheduled to complete the research and hand in your evaluative work?

I'm just wondering how big this mountain is.

Till the end of the march.

I did complete the form by the way.

I answered on your mail :)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Thank you. I have responded.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    These aren't really hypothetical because most of us will or have already dealt with these experiences. It's all part of the package.

Are you trying to see how well Buddhists deal with life as compared to non-Buddhists?

I fail to see how these questions could be tailor made for Buddhists and would imagine your responses will be just as varied if you asked everybody.

Have you had any positive review from Buddhists?
    edited February 2015

Could I just add at this point, on behalf of the OP that there were certain directions he omitted from the first post which he would like to have added, and will in due course, actually send to me to add.
    At the moment it is difficult to see what the OP is asking.
    Perhaps in due course, it will be clearer.

Please would everyone kindly review the first post: it has been considerably amended.
    Many thanks.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

The important point to realise here is that qualitative analysis as a method is a bit like cutting the throat of a lamb with a teaspoon to understand how it felt about death - it may be time well spent, and the the investigator sees the individual lambs slaughtering response as something revealing in this particular instance, and yes eventually a lamb slaughtered in this way will die and it's innards will then be revealed, cooked in some scientific way, perhaps with a little rose, mary and thyme, and thoughtfully digested; but using a teaspoon may not have been the best way to understand how the lamb felt...

The insoluble Koan: How can the point of life be known, when a teaspoon shows no mercy...

...\lol/...

That's not for you to ask. If you could just provide answers, the calculations are up to him, not you.

I fell into that trap.
    He's not really deeply interested in how you feel. he's interested in how you EXPRESS how you feel.

lobsterSpiral_69

Have I not done just THAT @federica.

I gave him my answers previously, and everyone can evaluate them - and he (or she) can use them in a qualitative sense.

Like I said before - perhaps if people want to research buddhism - everyone needs to be aware of that interest, and there needs to be a 'place' or 'category' on NB where they can do that...

But as an academic, I'm used to being poo-pooed, ridiculed, dismissed and denigrated, before being accepted.

...\lol/...

I find it odd, and difficult to figure out the meaning of your posts, @anataman when you always sign them with "lol." Perhaps that is your intention though.

You gave answers, yes, but you didn't follow the directions which kind of makes your answers invalid.

Vastmind
  • @anataman , Even though I understand that you probably wanted to make a point with your answers, you didn't follow the only direction/limitation there is, as also @karasti pointed out.

And, mr. funny academic - could you, please, be so kind and show me the way to the sharpest knife for cutting lambs? lol ;)

yes it is my intention @karasti....

...\lol/... is a sign off because it expresses many things - in fact it expresses release, and freedom for me, and I'm happy to discuss these things, and I'm glad you've brought it up, because I believe we have become far too serious as people, let alone being serious buddhists - If I were to say something like:

purple, grackle, make and shackle

what nonsense would that appear to be to most people; but some in this overly structured society, might find a little release that the tensions they find in themselves are relieved by reading (and in so doing so hear) these ridiculous words... Why? Because we have become so ridiculous bound by our selves - that even here, we are expected to behave in a certain fashion.

When you become bound by scientific dogma - then you have become bound by it, and when you try to analyse the world bound to a view - you cannot be objective!

I am happy to expound on this view, but sadly, few will agree,or will be polarised sufficiently by this view to appropriately comment - but thats ok - polarising peoples thoughts - is as cool as a sweatshop masseur/masseuse!

Not welcome?

...\lol/...

ok @Spiral_69 - and I do note that you have adopted the interesting mergence of scientific and piscean (and other religious) similies: however, the fastest way to the sharpest knife is to go to the cutlery drawer...

But I didn't need to tell you that did I?

• @anataman said:
    in this overly structured society, might find a little release

I agree on that! Everything is overly structured, especially psychological tests - that's why I left total freedom for everyone to spill their inner worlds (not innards) onto the screen and write whatever and however they want. With a tiny little exeption, it has to be at least some material for me to thoughtfully digest it ;)

When you become bound by scientific dogma - then you have become bound by it, and when you try to analyse the world bound to a view - you cannot be objective!

I agree on that, too! Man, we're closer than you think, lol. That's the reason my study will be more of a philosophical treatise than some "hard objective scientific stuff" - if I wanted to do that, I'd put you all into scanners (but without the teaspoons).

lobster

but the philosophical treatise has already been written and expounded - and that's why all we can do is be... teaspoon or not - i've read your scientific stuff called publications and conference blah blah btw!

...\lol/...

edited February 2015

oops that wasn't you it was someone else...

No, seriously I'm interested in Psychological research, and did read some stuff you've published. However, methodology in psychology is always questionable...

silver
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@anataman said:However, methodology in psychology is always questionable...

The absence of methodology is even more questionable, though that's probably another discussion.

• @anataman , @SpinyNorman - please, be aware, that this is phenomenological research, not psychological; look up phenomenology ;)

Also, deliberately vague instructions don't mean that there is no methodology in the background. There is plenty of it, but it's different to that you're used to.

• Spiral_69Spiral_69 Explorer
    edited February 2015

Funny. Not even sure, why they are separated :)

If you read the content of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenomenology_(psychology), you'll see that there are almost only philosophers mentioned. After all, modern psychology (and its approaches) stemmed from philosophy. I would then rather recommend http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenomenology_(philosophy), because it's more written about phenomenology as a style of thought.

For the research methodology, you can also check: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenomenography

Does that help?

• VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited February 2015

@Spiral_69 said:
    For the research methodology, you can also check: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenomenography
    Does that help?

Er. No? Just slightly more confused.
    Taken from above link:

Phenomenography is not phenomenology. Both phenomenography and phenomenology have human experience as their object; however, phenomenology is a philosophical method in which the philosopher is engaged in investigating his own experiences.[5] Phenomenographers, on the other hand, adopt an empirical orientation and they investigate the experiences of others.[5] The focus of interpretive phenomenology is upon the essence of the phenomenon, whereas the focus of phenomenography is upon the essence of the experiences and the subsequent perceptions of the phenomenon.[10]

So what are you doing?

/Victor

edited February 2015

What do you think?

@Victorious said:
    Phenomenology is a philosophical method in which the philosopher is engaged in investigating his own experiences. Phenomenographers, on the other hand, adopt an empirical orientation and they investigate the experiences of others.

But, please, don't be caught too much in the words themselves. I've already explained my goal in the introduction. And, more important, I would be so thankful if any of you would answer my questionnaire :)

P.S.: In three days, I've got just 2 returned questionnaires from people on this site. In the same days, I've got 13 of them from other people.

Victorious

We're a rum lot, aren't we...? Maybe we think too much. But Buddhism is a Religion of the Mind, and Bringing the Mind Home, is part of the process, in meditation.

We strive to shed the superfluous, dwell in the present and not complicate our minds by excessive cogitation.

One very well-known quotation in Buddhism is "How wonderful how wonderful, things exactly as they are!" which is an indication of the tendency to strive to accept, without concession....
    A Meditation instruction from a great Lama to his student, was this:

"When you meditate, and you perceive you thoughts, are you aware of when one particular thought process begins, then ends, and then there is another thought?"

"Yes," replied the student.
    "And you know that almost imperceptible gap, between the end of the first thought, and the beginning of th second?"

"Yes...."

"Well. Widen that gap."

So actually, we strive to pay little attention to the constant flotsam and jetsam of the Mind, and try instead to remain in Calm abiding.

I think this is why some are having such a hard time discerning what you want.
    because, on the face of it, it's the direct opposite of what we are doing!

I've tried once more, to complete the questionnaire.
    I hope it will suffice. I think I've just been more verbose....

silveranataman
    edited February 2015

@federica said:
    We're a rum lot, aren't we...? Maybe we think too much.
    [...]
    We strive to shed the superfluous, dwell in the present and not complicate our minds by excessive cogitation.

Hmm?

One very well-known quotation in Buddhism is "How wonderful how wonderful, things exactly as they are!" which is an indication of the tendency to strive to accept, without concession....

Yes, things are wonderful exactly as they are! That's why you can try and transmit things "as they are" into words. If you, on the other hand, think that all putting things into words is futile ... then you can probably close this forum ;)

"Well. Widen that gap."

I think this is why some are having such a hard time discerning what you want.
    because, on the face of it, it's the direct opposite of what we are doing!

Strictly technically speaking, yes - it's the opposite. But, hey, I haven't told anyone to ruminate and have the constant flotsam and jetsam for a whole day! You could as well write down few words at the time, really naturally, really effortlessly - as soon as you caught a thought in a "mid-air". And then, you'd let the gap come again. I think you're just exaggerating a little - I haven't actually halt the progress of your path with a few questions, right? ;)

I've tried once more, to complete the questionnaire.
    I hope it will suffice. I think I've just been more verbose....

Thank you very much!

We tend to forget that aversion to various things is just as bad as over-attachment to other things, especially our own mind and thinking processes.

Spiral_69

Yes, that's what I meant when I said "maybe we think too much."

maybe Nike had a point: "Just do it".

:lol:

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Still not sure how it will help but I sent it to you.
    edited February 2015

Still not sure how it will help but I sent it to you.

Thank you, @ourself ! But, why are you still not sure if it will help?

In this kind of research, the usual roles of the researcer and the participant get equalized, more interwoven - the "participant", with his introspection actually researches his own experience and the "researcher" just listens, or in some cases, reads. They are, in a sense, both researchers. They are co-researchers.

So, you already helped a lot by sharing your descriptions. There is nothing "more to help" here, there is not a thing you could do better - or worse in that sense. Because, this is your experiece, your description. Do you understand?

In ideal setting, and if I did larger research, I'd meet you in person and we would talk on several occasions, again cooperating. However, what I am doing now is part of my study process - and you've also helped me learn more.

edited February 2015

I understand the difference between the phenomenon and the neumenon...

I have read Plato, Kant and Satre - chilling.... yet nonetheless I have survived the enquiry and anxiety - and saw the humour which is required to counterbalance the shudders....

So you want to develop a new philosophy? Read the Kegon philosophy - which inevtably leads you to the Mahayana precipice... then decide if your philosophy might be more encompassing and greater in magnitude....

Don't waste your time coming inevitably to the same conclusions as the greatest minds that have ever sat in meditation...

...\lol/...

...\101/...

Then you will surely find that you arrrive at Simulacra and Simulation

It's a whole new world and field of discovery...

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED: but it's not worth a rabbits foot, good luck

...\lol/...

It isn't that I don't understand what you're doing, it's that I don't really see the benefit.

Obviously just answering is enough for your research but what is the point of the research?

@ourself, that, if I may say so, is none of your business.

This young man is going through his schooling. This is his vocation.

Now, either help, by completing the questionnaire, or don't.

But his motives are for his ultimate reasoning, not yours.
    He has asked that we complete his questionnaire, if we would be so kind.
    What more reason is there to have?

edited February 2015

@anataman said:
    So you want to develop a new philosophy? Read the Kegon philosophy - which inevtably leads you to the Mahayana precipice... then decide if your philosophy might be more encompassing and greater in magnitude....

Chill out dude. I don't want (or hope) to move mountains here - neither did I ever express some great aspirations in this particular thread. I'm just a student, as I said a million times already, and this is just a part of my learning process.

@ourself said:
    Obviously just answering is enough for your research but what is the point of the research?

The point is to learn something new.

edited February 2015
    It most certainly is my business, @federica, don't be silly. If you didn't fill it out then perhaps it is none of your business but since I filled it out it is mine.

If my posts warrant moderation then by all means but don't tell me what is my business.

@Spiral_69;

I'm not trying to take the piss out of your study, I just wanted to know what it is you hope to glean from it. Surely you can understand my curiosity.
  • @ourself said:
    It most certainly is my business, federica, don't be silly. If you didn't fill it out then perhaps it is none of your business but since I filled it out it is mine. If my posts warrant moderation then by all means but don't tell me what is my business.

Please don't argue. @federica just wanted to be kind - and she did fill out my questionnaire. Love each other, guys :)

edited February 2015

The point is @Spiral_69 from my point of view - that there is a lot out there to digest, and much much more to discover, but you will be challenged - and this is a very good place to decide whether you are being challenged or not challenged enough.

Please don't find my comments offensive, rude or difficult - they are not meant to be. I once considered doing qualitative research - quantitative scientists find it difficult to deal with, as the boundaries are not easy to define. As @federica has poignantly pointed out you are in a learning phase - so if you learn anything from the comments you receive, especially as you will never learn anything of value from me, just do it - or did I get that from Nike... Do you wish me to give age and gender to the answers already provided to complete: 44 M - that is my UK chest size as it goes - probably too much info...!

I wish you well with your project - researching anything scientifically is a tough road at the best of times and I am just a little boulder - learning how to deal with boulders, particularly in your line of enquiry, and especially if you think you can bulldoze anything into surrendering itself, can prove to be very daunting.

I won't comment any more on this thread, unless you invite me back into it.

namaste

edited February 2015
    The reason I am asking about motivation is because it seems like it could be questionable. I'm not saying it is but that it could be.

Motive should definitely be questioned in any empirical study lest the findings rest on bias. Motive often times makes the difference between science and pseudo-science. Sometimes the facts are tailored to the conclusion instead of the other way around.

I understand that the main reason is to learn how to put together this kind of project but also think there must be a reason why this particular survey is of interest.

To be honest the first thing I figured was that it is designed to see what belief system has the most well adjusted individuals.

If your prof asks you why you chose this particular subject will you say "to get a mark" or is there something you are trying to discover?

I am not trying to argue with anyone and @federica surely knows I love her but it is silly to say there is no cause to ponder motivation if we are asked to take part in a survey.
  • @ourself said:
    I understand that the main reason is to learn how to put together this kind of project but also think there must be a reason why this particular survey is of interest.

Yes, the main reason is to learn. For instance, this will be the first time I'll perform a linguistic analysis - I'll also learn how to use one special program for that.

To be honest the first thing I figured was that it is designed to see what belief system has the most well adjusted individuals.

Nope, it's nothing about that, I promise. Like @federica and @karasti have noticed, it's all about the expression, the description. Maybe l will, through the linguistic analysis, see some differences (or not) between HOW people express themselves, how they describe the world around them. And why Buddhists? I could take any other group of people - let's say mechanical engineers or those that dress up in LOTR costumes ... I chose Buddhists, because I feel close to Buddhist way of "thinking" (and not to the way of thinking of previosly mentioned groups).

Does that satisfy your curiosity? Well, I have nothing more to add, anyway. I still hope I will get some questionnaire in my mailbox (so far, the number has risen from 2 to 4, yay!)

Yep, that's all I wanted to know, thanks.
  • Fellow NB peeps, thanks for 5 answers in 5 days! Who will be the lucky one today? :pleased:

edited February 2015

After initial "guardedness", you have "softened up", which was great! But now you folks have gone quiet - which is good for your practice, I know ;) However, I still need around 10 answers from Buddhists - I'd be very thankful if I would get at least 3/10 from this forum!

Love to all,
    Lovro

Have you investigated other Buddhist sites also? I'm wondering if other forums have been included by you (and whether they gave you as hard a time as we have - !)...?

I could answer 7 more times and just write something different each time, :lol: I'm sure the first thing that comes to mind today would be different than what did the other day... :)

^^ I was thinking exactly the same thing^^...

As the saying goes, "A man cannot look at the same river twice".....

• VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran

I thought there already had been 5 answers from here ?

I have
    @Federica has and @karasti has so that is three right there?