Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Anyone Into Photography?

Comments

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Gnaw...acshully, I was doing a micro (macro?) - a close-up of this guy's hair do:

rootslobsterNerima
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

I really enjoyed the sense8 series on Netflix.

One scene features Primrose Hill with a quote in stone from William Blake
    'I have conversed with the spiritual Sun. I saw him on Primrose Hill.'

So I went there. On the way I passed this restaurant on Regents canal ...

ToshsilverZenshinroots
  • ToshTosh Veteran

@lobster, love the bottom pic; the colours are spanking!

@roots said:
    I LOVE vintage lenses! The touchy feely of focusing is so tactile, it makes me feel connected to the past and immersed in the process, more then just the button kid wih the dslr.

Here's my latest addition; a cheap Industar 69 28mm f/2.8 from the Ukraine. These lenses were made in the 1960 to early 1970s:

photo P1080818_zpsbcnjuwa9.jpg

The main reason I bought it was that it's so small, which means I can now put my camera in a bum bag and take it running with me.

It's a small mirrorless camera, but fully manual; not bad at all for the size of it.

Unlike this, a Vivitar Series 1 (Tokina version) 300mm, f/5.6:

photo P1018839_zpsbrvzlngz.jpg

Which is a bit of a beast.

• NerimaNerima Veteran

I got my first camera at the age of 10 (a cheap plastic mail-order thing). I always took photos of my family. Now I'm 56 and having just lost my mom to cancer, I'm sifting through lots of old family pics in albums she had squirreled away.
    Currently I enjoy taking photos of travel scenes with my iPhone and Nikon.

lobsterToshsilver
  • ToshTosh Veteran

@Nerima, sorry about your Mum. I love looking through old photos too. I'm half-Japanese on my mother's side; I think cameras is in my DNA! O.o

Nerima
  • rootsroots Veteran

@Tosh said:
    Here's a pic of my dog (because he's lovely)...

photo DSCF6036-2_zpsxisinylr.jpg

AWWWWE
    puppyshocute
    yesh u are

ToshmmoZenshinNerima
  • rootsroots Veteran

@TOSH

BEAST indeed *drool I want a 300mm soo bad its so beutiful

haha newbie I take it back, ur modest mouse

• ToshTosh Veteran

@roots said:
    TOSH

BEAST indeed *drool I want a 300mm soo bad its so beutiful

I think I paid about £40 for it, but it is old, and it is f/5.6, so it can only really be used in ideal conditions. Taking the crop factor into consideration it's effective focal length is close to 600mm.

It gives a great bokeh I think (long focal length helps with that):

P1080058

M43 cameras are ideal for adapting vintage lenses. They don't have a mirror or prism so their bodies are slim which means almost any vintage lens can be put on them, with the correct adapter (and there's loads of them about).

My Olympus has 'in body image stabilisation', so even with 30 year old lenses, the modern technology helps.

I have an autofocus lens (the kit lens), but I rarely use it.

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Blackbird? Plus lense and filtering. Gosh, wonderful. <3

I enjoy reading you hardware nerds on your kit. The results are impressive. It is an interesting approach. What fun. My nerdy side loves the post editing but I probably need to exercise more creativity at the point of shoot ... my plan is to make more use of my backup camera, which is an ipod.

Must do my photography homework ... =)
    http://petapixel.com/2015/07/16/13-exercises-for-photographers-that-can-help-jump-start-creativity/

Tosh
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Scooby looks like he's enjoying the water!

ToshJeffreyroots
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

They are all just great - my favorites are the woman walking the dog down the blue hallway - cool perspective...and the two boys in the wading pool / fountain with our favorite you-know-who off to the lower left side. B)

WalkerTosh
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited July 2015

Very impressive :star:@Tosh you are moving into the area of art, rather than just technical. The first photo is technically correct but some of the others really show what photography can be.

I iz jealous :blush:

Toshroots
  • ToshTosh Veteran

Thanks, Lobster. I'm still playing and I think part of me likes the naughty feeling I get from 'stealing' candid images from the unwary.

Humans are very interesting animals.

silver
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

You actually need to be careful you don't infringe privacy laws....

• ToshTosh Veteran

@federica said:

In a public place, in the UK, taking photos is perfectly legal. I think it ought to be done with some common sense and some ethics too though.

The 'big debate' in street photography seems to be about the taking of images from people who're suffering (like street alcoholics). They're easy targets and generally don't post a threat.

Taking a photo of some big beefy tattooed bloke who looks like he could damage you takes a bit more courage.

I guess common sense applies at all times. I was a bit daft yesterday though and took a few candid photos of a bunch of people buying pirated DVDs in the street. The vendor looked as if he could be dangerous, if he was so inclined, and there I am taking photos of his illegal selling. O.o

They didn't come out very well though.

• mmommo Veteran

How many dogs do you have @Tosh? They are so cute.

• ToshTosh Veteran

Just one, @mmo; we met the other dog at a harbour-side music festival.

mmo
  • mmommo Veteran
    edited July 2015

I thought you have two, Tye and American beauty impersonation puppy?

Tosh
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited July 2015

@mmo said:
    I thought you have two, Tye and American beauty impersonation puppy?

Tye is a friend's dog I used to borrow on a Saturday morning when I was training to do an ultra marathon. We'd be out for some hours, we both got to 25 miles on our last run but I got injured and we haven't ran since.

Which is a shame.

My dog is little, stumpy and elderly. He just likes to walk slowly and sniff stuff.

mmo
  • mmommo Veteran

Coolio. :) I just notice it that you surely can capture the best pics of puppies. Tye cosmic color eyes. And that innocent face of brown puppy, he looks like he is showing how to love ❤

ZenshinToshWalker
  • rootsroots Veteran

@federica said:

Awesome article thankyou.

• rootsroots Veteran
    edited July 2015

@Tosh

M43 cameras are ideal for adapting vintage lenses. They don't have a mirror or prism so their bodies are slim which means almost any vintage lens can be put on them, with the correct adapter (and there's loads of them about).

I use adaptors on my lenses, heres one on my 50mm:

A mirrorless was my first crush when looking for my first digital camera with swappable lenses. I think I couldn't find one that could shoot 1080 30fps vid with stereo audio input that was in my price range when I was shopping at the time. I was trying to build a kit that also included 50, 85, 128, and 15mm lenses. The rationale behind getting 'better' vintage lenses was inspired by advice from some guy on some website about shooting professional looking digital video on a budget, and replicating the same quality of shot that pro vid cameras (costing tens of thousands of dinero) produced.

Well, unlike some reputable professionals, my film career was put on hold for a while, but I passively started to pick up my camera.

Honestly I'm glad I got my lenses, but if I could do it over again I would buy cheaper lenses first, for both learning purposes and the sheer joy of the tactile experience I get when shooting with different vintage lenses. They seam to all have their own personalities and quirks.

Tosh, please post more. Your pics are beautiful and you are truly talented. The old lady is just waiting to tell a story, and that man + the vid camera warning signs makes it feel like he is a secret agent or security for the president. And the boys * :awesome: overwhelmed with cuteness. Your choices in lighting and colour edits just blends em together into what might be your style. Pro lol. Lobster is right u an artist.

Tosh
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited July 2015

@federica said:
    I love it...photos of camera parts.... this thread is getting 'geeky'! :D

That's all part of it. 30 to 60 year old lenses, from places like Russia, coupled to a modern digital camera; if I have to explain it, you'd never get it. :p

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2015

How very considerate of you - you already know what a techno-doofus I am...! :lol:

Tosh
  • rootsroots Veteran
    edited July 2015

*drool wow :anguished: I cant wait to get a Soviet lens! I feel like I'm connecting with history when I hold an old lens, and since they required such engineering and precision, they also feel like important artefacts.

Toshsilver

Damm, I miss my Nikon 35mm - my ex gave it to me because he hardly ever used it - I Probly already said that - sniff-sniff - it got lost in the shuffle of our many ( :angry: ) moves. I did a roll of b&w's but the drug store I left it with screwed it up and all was lost (they treated it like regular film even though I clearly marked it as b&w). Aargh! Maybe some day I'll be able to replace it.

roots
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited July 2015

Lovely pic and she's very sweet. What lighting did you use @roots? Some flash? The catchlights in the eyes are lovely.

roots
  • Steve_BSteve_B Veteran

Once upon a time I had a Spiratone 400 pre-set. Tremendously fun lens.

I had a set of Patterson tanks & reels too. Ah, the good old days.

• ToshTosh Veteran

@Steve_B said:
    Once upon a time I had a Spiratone 400 pre-set. Tremendously fun lens.

I had a set of Patterson tanks & reels too. Ah, the good old days.

Interesting; I just watched this youtube to see what one was:

If you kept an eye on ebay, you'd probably find one of these for pocket money and they'd attach to a M43 camera easily enough.

I've a 300mm f/5.6 Vivitar Series 1, made in 1982 (I can work it out from the serial number) and on my M43, due to the cropping effect of the smaller sensor, I get something close to 600mm, which is way long enough for me. I might actually take it out and have a play with and stick a couple of pics of the results up.

• rootsroots Veteran

haha thats clever I like the closeup adaptor never seen that before

cool beans. might be hunting ebay this thread is getting me jazzed.

• rootsroots Veteran
    edited July 2015

@Tosh said:
    Lovely pic and she's very sweet. What lighting did you use roots? Some flash? The catchlights in the eyes are lovely.

No just sunlight the best of course :D she was by a door

When i posted it i was like ah her hand looks like its photoshopped

Just goes to show the value of printing/posting your media in different places/screens to get a round up of the overall impression before you publish. Digital media eh :expressionless: ?

Speaking of which have you thought about selling your media via intranets or creating a portfolio for yourself online? (I am serious not trying to sell you anything lol)

Tosh
  • ToshTosh Veteran

No, I'm just a n00b really. When I look at some of the photos on flikr and the like, I know I'm just messing about. You're very kind though.

But I'm fairly pleased with today's effort:

photo P1019206_zps2otmiknb.jpg

Walkersilver
  • rootsroots Veteran
    edited July 2015

Browse some stock images websites :neutral: . Don't underestimate urslef :chuffed: .

But yea, it does sound like a bit of a hassle, and your pic might end up on a baptist tourism brochure. * shudders *

(my good friend is baptist, im not a h8r just a prefer-to-keep-control-over-my-picture-rights kinda guy)

WalkerTosh
  • rootsroots Veteran
    edited July 2015

God I wish I had castles.

If I eat one of these I might see them.

silverTosh
  • rootsroots Veteran
    edited July 2015

^^^^ Its amazing how close you can get with a phone camera, lots of weird fungus on trail by me mums house

• ToshTosh Veteran

Smart. I went through a phase of mushroom collecting (and eating) a few years back. I went out with a local guy who really knows his stuff (he supplies wild food to posh restaurants) and he first taught me what the dangerous ones we have in our area look like, and therefore to avoid.

Mushrooms are really interesting.

• rootsroots Veteran
    edited July 2015

@Tosh said:
    Smart. I went through a phase of mushroom collecting (and eating) a few years back. I went out with a local guy who really knows his stuff (he supplies wild food to posh restaurants) and he first taught me what the dangerous ones we have in our area look like, and therefore to avoid.

Mushrooms are really interesting.

That is wonderful! There are six times more species of fungus then plants, and I'm sure you've heard they are more genetically related to animals then foliage. And to find a fragile red one on a path amongst all the dead foliage is surreal. They seam to hang out together in a certain area. I have yet to find a mushroom ring around a tree, but would love to as their association with sprites lol.

And a mushroom expert? Is he of this realm? :awesome:

Today? Ah so pritty. I HAD NO IDEA my 85mm could do that. Thank you!

Tosh, you are good, those photos are extraordinary!

Tosh
  • ToshTosh Veteran

@roots said:
    And a mushroom expert? Is he of this realm? :awesome:

No, he's ex Royal Navy, a submariner; the smell still lingers on them (all submariners have a funny smell about them from all that time spent underwater in a tin can).

Apart from that, he's okay; I just stay upwind of him.

rootssilverVastmind
  • ToshTosh Veteran

@federica said:
    Tosh, you are good, those photos are extraordinary!

Well the lens has a lot to do with it; it's an old lens (by modern standards), but it's a very good one. Macro photography isn't easy though, your focus has to be spot on; just a tiny bit out and it's fuzzy in the wrong places.

I had to lie on the wet grass to ensure a stable platform to take them. And it can be annoying when you've just focused, composed, and just before you squeeze the shutter release, the bug flies away. >:)

I tried to get some bees, but they were too quick for me. I think only ninjas can take photos of bees.

roots
  • rootsroots Veteran

I found these creepy little things and shot them with my 50mm. I will take my 85 with me from now on, because in the low lighting of the fall day that was about as close as i could get
    (?)

I haven't a clue what species the 'huddling' beetle things are, but the plant they are on is a milkweed, a plant that bleeds "milk" if its pods are punctured during summer -milkweed is poisonous, so much so it was 'illegal' where I live because (as the story goes) if a cow eats it it can kill the cow. Milkweed is the sole egg laying/caterpillar eating spot for the monarch butterfly. The law has been repealed as the monarch is endangered from habitat loss, herbicides, and invading species. We plant milkweed in the garden now.

Toshsilver
  • ToshTosh Veteran

They're great looking bugs just asking to have their images taken with a macro! You're in Canada, right? I'm in the UK; our bugs are fairly boring compared to some places.

lobster
    edited July 2015

I don't think we have milkweed plants around here (so cal) - I don't get out in the sticks much at all :-( but as a child, they were on the few wild plants that fascinated me - they were # 1 on my list (then queen ann's lace, and so on), but your photo with the alien bugs get-together is fantastic. Nice.

• NerimaNerima Veteran

@Tosh I'm half Japanese on my mom's side too! <3

Tosh
  • ToshTosh Veteran

@Nerima said:
    Tosh I'm half Japanese on my mom's side too! <3

We all have our crosses to bear. If you ever want to talk about it, just PM me.

Kind regards,

Tosh

• rootsroots Veteran
    edited July 2015

Milkweed and the monarch are native to north America. They have one of the longest migrations of any animal, wich crazy cause they just a lil bug. How generations of insects know how to fly thousands and thousands of kilometers to the same places just to breed and die is amazing. I believe they've spread to Australia and Spain since the 1800s. Dunno about so Cal though. Yup I'm in the stix Of cah nah duh.

Asian moms? Heard all about it. You were probably really good in school. I pray for your inner children.