Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Anyone Into Photography?

Comments

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

I took this one when I first started collecting healing gemstones.
    Mookaite jasper, rainforest jasper, leopardite jasper, and half of a geode from Mexico.

Tosh
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Just saw this story and thought the photographers of the group might enjoy. Make sure you read the whole thing though :) (or skip to the end at least)

http://indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com/i-lost-all-this-stuff-in-vietnam-1705160339

Tosh
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Tosh said:
    (because he's lovely)...

Well said <3

You been using a bit of post processing. Nice.

Tosh
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Tosh said:> I think Welshmen must like sheep with mis-matched earrings!

I heard they ain't too fussy. ;)

Tosh
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

This 60-year-old tree just teetered over into our pool a few years ago, because the property owners failed to keep it trimmed properly. What a mess that was for them to clear out of there.

Here's the rings in the cross section of this incredibly tall old tree that fell.

ToshVastmindEarthninja
  • ToshTosh Veteran

^^I've just counted the rings and I make it out to be about 35 years old. I'm sad like

@Tosh said:
    ^^I've just counted the rings and I make it out to be about 35 years old. I'm sad like

Yes, I was sad too when it happened, because the tree housed many a bird. Okay. I said it was 60-year-old but I think I meant to say it was 60 feet tall! oops. It also crushed the block wall fence between the front lawn and where the pool area starts. O.o

Here's the bottom half.

ToshVastmind
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Yesterday I was trying to take pictures of a lesser grebe. It is a common but shy bird. I was in a newly opened part of the Wandle River which eventually flows into the Thames. This area Watermeads, is owned by the National Trust and they seem to be bussing in observers as it was very busy. Had to keep waiting for the grebe and chicks to reappear whilst the pedestrian path traffic passed. The other day I noticed them for the first time. They swim underwater like a fish often all the way into hiding. Also saw them feeding fish to their young. This is a nest which sadly includes bits of waste plastic pollution.

It is being able to take these simple telephoto shots that for me makes phototography such simple fun B)

ToshZenshinVastmindsilver
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2015

That is a great, very clever option. Great rig, good plan. Lense technology will not have changed much from 30 years ago? Camera yes. G1 - nice.

I want a camera drone but the technology is fast moving.

This intrigues me too BUT too expensive, early days, not even close to the product I will be buying in a year or two ...

I luvs my camera.

luvvly dog, beautiful flowers, great camera idea ... I am not tempted by many lenses ... well a little ;)

What I want is an insect eye camera, processed by an IBM TrueNorth chip, built into a smart drone swarm using a two hour minimum graphene battery but by then ... Lobster wanders off into the future ...

VastmindWalker
  • ToshTosh Veteran

A cheaper alternative would be to get a big telescopic pole, stick a tripod head on it, attach a camera with a remote shutter release, and get running... =)

lobster
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited June 2015

Hey everyone...watch that vid that lobster posted!!!! Fantastic!!! vaca/holiday in 4 mins...hahahaha....some of those round, 360 was a head trip!!!

Yep..someone DOES have expensive taste in toys :sunglasses: hehe

@tosh .... the yellow flowers are beautiful!!!! I love that pic! Send me a 10x13!

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Photo today, anyone know what it is, a young wagtail? Was by a London river.

used max optical and digital zoom 120x plus cropped to upload here, so bit fuzzy. Used the scn option for fast moving shots.

Tosh
  • ToshTosh Veteran

Despite being in the Young Ornithologists Club as a brat (I joined for the 'free' badge of a kestrel on it), my bird recognition skills aren't great.

I think you're right though, it's a wagtail. A young one.

lobster

Some of my very first additions to my healing gemstones collection (mookaite jasper):

• yagryagr Veteran

@silver said:
    It showed 0195 when I saved/opened, but now that I'm looking in pictures, it says 0193 so that's that - one of those crazy cloud pictures -

It looks like all these individual clouds coming together...which made me think of this:

Daniel took a second before answering, “That is exactly what I'm saying.  Consider it from another perspective; traditional Native Americans believe that everyone has a spirit and they refer to their god as the Great Spirit.”  I sat listening, curious as to where this was going.  “Let's say we looked up at the sky and noticed a bunch of, let's say ten, small clouds.  How many clouds would there be?”
    “That's a real question?” I asked after a moment's silence.  Daniel nodded and I really thought this must be a trick question but I bit, “Ten?”
    “Outstanding!” Daniel exclaimed sarcastically, “After all that time thinking about it I wasn't sure you'd get it right.”  He continued before I could object.  “Now, what if the wind blows all those little clouds in such a way as they all come together?  How many clouds would you have then?”
    “One,” I ventured.
    “Outstanding, again!” Daniel cried, “You are getting so much faster at answering these questions!  So what you're saying is that the number of clouds is really dependent upon how many times it's been divided and that no matter how many times it's divided, it remains a cloud.”
    “Yeah,” I said a little cautiously because it seemed too obvious.
    “That is, in a nutshell, if you ignore the oversimplification, is what the traditional Native Americans understood that modern man has forgotten.  Each of us has a part of the Great Spirit within us and together, we are the Great Spirit.  But we aren't talking together like you and I and your mom and Sensei Li, we're talking our true natures coming together – the divine spark in you and in me and in your mom and in Sensei Li and every sentient being the world over.”

silver
  • yagryagr Veteran
    edited July 2015

It has been so long since I've done the research but can't think of a better place to ask...except maybe a photography forum. Nah, they aren't as compassionate in their responses.

There is a particular photographic filter that blocks out a certain particular part of the light spectrum. I was given the name of it about thirty-five years ago and paid it little mind. I realized there are all kinds of filters like this but about a decade later, I thought of a real world application for that particular filter that could in fact, change the world.

I think I need one paragraph to explain the botany aspect of this. So I better start a new paragraph instead of wasting space with these two sentences...

Most plants are photoperiodic, meaning they require less than a certain amount of light to flower (usually 12 or 14 hours). The apetala1 gene regulates this. When the apetala1 gene turns on, it first commands other genes to send a "stop" signal to the plant's meristems, effectively halting leaf production. Located in the areas of a plant where growth takes place, meristems are then alerted to instead begin making flowers, fruit, or vegetables. So when a green bean plant is getting less than 12 hours of light, it stops growing and starts putting all it's energy into making green beans. Light is energy. So, because it must get less than twelve hours of light for the Apetala1 gene to send this signal, the plant only gets twelve hours of energy to make green beans. Following me so far? It looks like we need another paragraph - sorry.

The apetala1 gene turns on when it gets less than twelve hours of light (in our green beans) but the way it knows is because of a certain part of the light spectrum from the light source (sun or artificial lights) causes a chemical to be released within the plant. When that chemical fails to fill the (imaginary) cup (which is filled after over twelve hours of light) the apetala1 gene kicks in.

What if the plant could get twenty-four hours of light and the apetala1gene stayed turned off? The production of green beans (or whatever) could be effectively doubled. Which means food production could be doubled. Many countries grow plants hydroponically for food production. In 1970, Japan allotted 0.3% of their food production to indoor, hydroponic greenhouses using artificial lights. In 2010, it was nearly 23%. Artificial lights can be fitted with a filter. There is one filter that blocks that part of the light spectrum that generates the chemical that influences the apetala1 gene. Anyone know what it is, because I forgot? Thirty-five years is a long time.

• Steve_BSteve_B Veteran

Dichroic.

• ToshTosh Veteran

I've got quite a nice 'new' macro lens (it's about 20 years old) which goes to 1:1:

P1080215

P1080264

WalkersilverVastmindEvenThird
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited July 2015

Wow! Wonderful photos guys. I love that two dog shot because of the expressions. Still trying to get macro shots on my camera. :3

Wonderful shot without DSLR on phone from @roots. Great street photo from @Invincible_summer

All my shots used to be lucky until learning a few 'tricks' - really makes a huge difference.
    http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-use-a-camera-phone/

Invincible_summer

Yes!~they are superb, @Invincible_summer...I was driving around today when I spotted a line of parked rr cars with some graffiti and got a quick shot of this one but I don't know how to enlarge the picture to get a better look at the actual artwork (the phrase "you can't win" are to the left of the fingers):

ToshWalkerInvincible_summer
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Invincible_summer said:> - Matt Jackisch is a friend of mine who mainly does nature photography as a hobby, but has gotten more serious and has some wonderful shots of BC and the Pacific Northwest.

That's really nice.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@Tosh, that bubble pic is magic.

I understand the stealing feeling. I tend to favour busy places to take such shots.

One group of people I don't feel guilty about taking photos of is photographers with telephoto lenses ...

Here is one with my usual high filtering/editing

ToshZenshin
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Still lovin' this thread. :heart: Seeing parts of the world I would never see otherwise. ...whether a street full of people or a bugs eyeball. When a pic tells a story...it draws you in. Beautiful job guys!!

Tosh
  • rootsroots Veteran

@Tosh said:
    I've got quite a nice 'new' macro lens (it's about 20 years old) which goes to 1:1:

P1080215

P1080264

I LOVE vintage lenses! The touchy feely of focusing is so tactile, it makes me feel connected to the past and immersed in the process, more then just the button kid wih the dslr.

WalkerNamada
  • rootsroots Veteran

@Tosh said:
    Taken at a village fete:

P1080361

I quite like taking 'street' candids;

I just like the expression on the faces:

P1018441

It's a bit scary though, taking candids, feels like I'm stealing. O.o

This photo is contest worthy.

lobsterTosh
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited July 2015

@roots said:
    I LOVE vintage lenses! The touchy feely of focusing is so tactile, it makes me feel connected to the past and immersed in the process, more then just the button kid wih the dslr.

Wow, me too. I agree that the process seems just as important as the result and I like the way it kind of slows me down and makes me think, rather than blasting off 70 frames on burst.

And they're cheap! =)

I've several of them now; just waiting for an Industar 69 28mm, built in the 1960s/early 1970s to arrive from the Ukraine. It's a pancake lens from a rangefinder, so very slim, and it'll mean I can take one of my cameras out with me when I go running; it'll fit in a bum bag (fanny pack if you're from the US). It has it's own special character too, from the images I've seen using this lens on flikr.

There is something about pairing an old lens to a modern digital camera body though. I think it's one of those things that if you have to explain why, it's probably not worth explaining.

Do you have any? What've you got? What do you use them on? I use two mirrorless cameras (M43s) specifically because these are ideal to pair with vintage lenses. My Olympus camera has in-body image stabilisation, so even with my Vivitar Series 1 300mm lens (I love prime lenses) that's about 30 years old, I still get image stabilisation.

• rootsroots Veteran

@Tosh said:
    Wow, me too. I agree that the process seems just as important as the result and I like the way it kind of slows me down and makes me think, rather than blasting off 70 frames on burst.

And they're cheap! =)

Haha right!? I have a 50mm that was suppost to have been made in WEST germany. Awesome right? And I'm not sure where you live, but I'm in can uh duh so when I get a package from japan or eastern europe with polish script or kanji on it im geeking all over the place.

I have a Tessar 2.8 50mm carl zeiss (50's?)
    Mc Sonnar 135mm zeiss (70's?)
    85 mm tele vivitar zeiss
    and my (piece du reesiztaunce) planar 1.4 55mm carl zeiss with the T* "lense made in Japan" (60's-70's?) - it was not cheap but worth it.

I retrofit them to my t3i dslr im just a student but awesome camera bought it because at the time it was the cheapest camera that i could get that doubled as a 30fps 1080p video camera. That's actually why I have the lenses - super high quality for light capture in video without the expense of modern lenses.

I discovered the pure joy of tactile zooming on accident. I wish I could afford to use real film right now. I'm jealous of anyone who still does. My photography needs work but it don't matter its so much fun!

And yea there is some zen in contemplating the shooting of a butterfly. Aint no point and shoot. Gotta breathe, silence doubt, and focus your intention to avoid the blurryness that comes from a rushed reaction.

Toshlobster
  • ToshTosh Veteran

Yes, that's a nice set of lenses.

@roots said:
    and my (piece du reesiztaunce) planar 1.4 55mm carl zeiss with the T* "lense made in Japan" (60's-70's?) - it was not cheap but worth it.

You wouldn't have any images with this one handy would you? I'd love to see the bokeh on it.

I do like a nice bokeh.

I've the following:

Vivitar Series 1 (Tokina version), 300mm and the 70-210mm

Vivitar Series 1 (Komine version) 90mm f2.8 Macro (the f2.5 is sought after, but the one I've got is pretty good.

Canon 50mm 1.8 (the 'plastic fantastic').
    Canon 28mm 2.8

And a really battered Takumar Macro 50mm F4, which is described as a 'lens that looks like it's full of compromises', but it's really good fun:

P1060977-2

P1070025

Gotta go to work, but will stick up a pic of my lens collection later.

Nice to meet a fellow vintage lens lover.

lobstersilver
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

I discovered the pure joy of tactile zooming on accident. I wish I could afford to use real film right now. I'm jealous of anyone who still does. My photography needs work but it don't matter its so much fun!

Fun - oh yeah ... and then some. I may be looking for tactile zoom in my next camera in a year or two, connected to a drone maybe ... Real film [lobster faints] too hardcore for me.

And yea there is some zen in contemplating the shooting of a butterfly. Aint no point and shoot. Gotta breathe, silence doubt, and focus your intention to avoid the blurryness that comes from a rushed reaction.

[lobster engages best yoda voice] Camera think not. Photo think not. Become the Photograph :3

http://www.warrenhenke.com/writing/essays/zen-photography-in-10-steps

roots
  • ToshTosh Veteran

Zen's too bitter; Tao is sweeter:

photo P1018757_zps88spvgfc.jpg

(I've probably messed up my analogy of the Vinegar Tasters.)

lobsterroots
  • rootsroots Veteran
    edited July 2015

@tosh You wouldn't have any images with this one handy would you? I'd love to see the bokeh on it.!

I do like a nice bokeh

Right? I think thats why the planar 55mm was expensive because it adds that moody blurry depth to my vid shot. Nice shots btw. That fly has plenty of pleasant blurr! (haha blurr and buzz like college.)

I googled that Takamura. G wiz that looks fun to play with, and I *love that polygonal design, very distinctive, designed by Japanese masters I'm sure. The samurai lived on in engineering and manufacturing incarnations. Nothing but perfection, and holding that lens must feel like channelling that history. I feel the same way when I use my inherited Cuisineart 1986 food processor. It was my birth year, the last model manufactured in Japan, and it still rips through anything you put in it. Am I off topic?

I tried to find some photos with varied blurryness from the planar:

lobstersilverToshmmo
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@roots , the second pic isn't coming up at all.... deliberate...? I'm getting 'Page not Found'....

• rootsroots Veteran
    edited July 2015

@federica said:
    roots , the second pic isn't coming up at all.... deliberate...? I'm getting 'Page not Found'....

try it now, thankyou btw, i tend to post and edit thats probs why

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Cool, better, thanks! Although before, i thought it was a little child...?

Just shows.... ! :D

• rootsroots Veteran
    edited July 2015

@lobster said:
    Fun - oh yeah ... and then some. I may be looking for tactile zoom in my next camera in a year or two, connected to a drone maybe ... Real film [lobster faints] too hardcore for me.

Wull my one fiend - total hipster babe - we were at a fireparty in her backyard and she brokeout the "you can't see it now" 1960's film camera with the magnificent plug-in oldschool metal flash - between the dark the firelfies and the wine, I was mezmorised - I hadnt used a camera like this since I was a little boy, and as she described some of the nuances of how different film was from digital in the ways light was interpreted - it was like that camera was part of an artistic cloudworld I could only go to when I popped in a Joni Mitchell tape, AND our journey would later be recounted via a dying method that once reinvented self conceptualisation

Well when the wine wears off and as I pre-treat the grass stains on my khaki bottoms, I'm like "developing film via dangerous chemicals? how much? we need to rent a room at the university!!?"

hahaha no.

long live digital

lobster
  • rootsroots Veteran

@federica said:
    Cool, better, thanks! Although before, i thought it was a little child...?

Just shows.... ! :D

Lol Yea, I am guild-ridden if I attempt to post the pic of someone without their permission.

Well, except for on facebook. I've warned my friends about posting unflattering pics, and now I have a fancy dslr, so their time will come :mrgreen: .

• ToshTosh Veteran

@roots said:
    I think thats why the planar 55mm was expensive because it adds that moody blurry depth to my vid shot.

It certainly does. Nice pics. I'm fairly new to photography, so still muddling along; probably still well within my first 10,000 shots and still getting the 'standard photos' out of the way.

I think I enjoy street candids the best; it's just a shame I live in a really small town (which is great btw, but not for street candids).

• rootsroots Veteran

@Tosh said:
    I think I enjoy street candids the best; it's just a shame I live in a really small town (which is great btw, but not for street candids).

Thank-you :)

We might both be suffering from newbie syndrome - I typed a disclaimer about "not considering myself a real photographer" but then erased it.

I get the "stealing their soul" vibe from random candids - although the law varies place to place, there is usually the "if you go out in public you assume that you will be photographed" stance

I posted pics from a county fair I was at - and now that I think of it, big gatherings like that might be the best place to get random shots. So many people and so much diversion.

However, I still feel that etiquette demands that I ask permission of my image donors. Is it immoral or unfair to sneak a shot? Certainly not for media lol. Now that phones, watches, cars, toy trucks and skateboards all have cameras attached, I wonder if our children and childrens children will even be bothered by the notion.

(unrelated) ok pasta for real now

silverTosh
    edited July 2015

///////////

wrong thread :3

Toshlobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

^^^ @silver that grass photo which I assume you filtered is really sharp. o:) I love the way it seems to move forward. Reminds of the mahayana maxim to save all sentients.

silverVastmindmmo