Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dharma Craft

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited May 2015 in Buddhism Today

<3<3<3

I have not practiced western witch craft but I used to go to Santeira shops to check out their soap and candle range ...

Craft magick is a big part of Daka Dharma (my teacher regarded Tantra as witchcraft). Craftmanship of course is a form of potential meditative awareness. For example making sacred gateaux (torma) or flower arranging ones shrine offerings ...

What craft/hobby helps your practice? For me it is currently being made aware of stillness and breathing when taking a photo ...

<3<3<3

EarthninjasilverKennethZenniEvenThird

Comments

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

For whatever reasons, I've been out of the loop of taking sky pictures or whatever, for a while now and I want to get back the mood of doing that, because it seems wonderful shots seemed to just fall into my lap, so to speak. I have a nice little collection of sky pictures that NOW I believe were a gift - to take the sting out of losing my only son.

Zenni
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Art quilts sound wonderful @Kenneth.

I can sew a little, we learned it at school and my mother was trained as a seamstress. To my utter shame I do not darn socks or mend clothes as they are so cheap. However a patchwork meditation blanket made up of dharma symbols intrigues me ... must put on my thinking cap ... as soon as I have made one ...

KennethZenniEvenThird
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I am planning a water feature, a small rock pool type thingy. Need more rocks from the beach!

lobsterZenni
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

^^^ Sounds wonderful ... Suddenly realised I should be collecting rocks for garden use ... mmm ...

Zenni
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@SpinyNorman said:
    I am planning a water feature, a small rock pool type thingy. Need more rocks from the beach!

If we have unusually low tides, we'll know who to blame...

lobsterZenniWalker
  • ajhayesajhayes Pema Jinpa Dorje Northern Michigan Veteran

I recently discovered that I really enjoy painting miniatures for D&D.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

D&D.....?

My younger brother used to paint miniature soldiers and the suchlike... from the Civil war and Napoleonic wars... his attention to detail was enviable....

• ajhayesajhayes Pema Jinpa Dorje Northern Michigan Veteran

Dungeons and Dragons. I also have a lot of the miniature soldiers. I find that I get totally lost doing it and hours just fly by without a single thought entering my head.

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran

@federica said:
    D&D.....?

Dungeons and Dragons. Adventure game.

roots
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@EvenThird said:
    Here's some of my more explicitly Buddhist art from a few months back:

Stunning.

Thanks for sharing. High quality craftmanship sometimes enters the realm of art. For example in ultra realism ... however that is for another thread ...

There is room for a dharma colouring book for adults, which I might find useful when I grow up. ;)
    http://www.oncoloring.com/buddhism-coloring-pages.html

Your work reminds me of when I used to download black and white line drawings of Buddhas and mindfully colour them. They then became part of shrines and usually given away ...

I keep meaning to get my stencils out ... <3

• EvenThirdEvenThird NYC Veteran

@lobster I would actually love to be part of a coloring book project one day… mandalas and buddhas…

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@EvenThird said:
    lobster I would actually love to be part of a coloring book project one day… mandalas and buddhas…

Sounds like a plan. You could self publish and sell as a craft item, open source/creative commons it as a pdf or even start a thread here for possible freed/sharing artwork. I would certainly be happy to create a suitable page for free . . .
    A Mindful Colouring Book that turns into a Self Build Shrine . . . mmm . . . Just think of the merit (Zero for Zeniths) but the Tantrists and Purelanders would be feeling virtuous for years ;)

Because your artwork is graphic it is easily filtered to a black and white outline

Like many amateur crafties (if there is such a meaning) I enjoy seeing others work.

... meanwhile ...

I enjoy playing with computers so for example this is just a very simple spot on the Thames. Just filming and then editing the traffic with Openshot on Puppy Linux. . . http://www.openshot.org/

The lens flair I liked and it became the theme for ... what drifted by ...

EvenThirdWalkerShim
  • EvenThirdEvenThird NYC Veteran

@lobster Yes I like those ideas.. it would actually be quite easy to do, once the art is created.
    Thank you for sharing that video, it's quite peaceful & I enjoyed it =)<3

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited August 2015

Thanks guys <3

Want to return to the difference between mindless absorption and mindful absorption in crafts.

A very simple example is the morning ritual of making tea or coffee. Are we mindless in its its well worn comfortable groove or very aware of our actions ... ?

There is for me a difference B)

Vastmind
  • ShimShim Veteran

Crafts? Yikes. Not for me. (At school two different teachers told me they had never seen anyone as helpless in Crafts as I was. And one of them had been a teacher for ~40 years. The other thought I wasn't even taking it seriously...)
    So perhaps crafting would be good patience training....

EvenThird
  • For those of us who can't draw, sing, dance, do crafts or knit, the Ukulele is fantastic!

Peace to all

That very much depends on whether you have an ear for music, or you sound like you're playing with one....

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

@lobster * bows to you * Beautiful video. I think of @jeffery once in awhile while I'm making coffee....He used to talk about making his coffee mindfully in the morning. At the time, I thought...yeah, he's right. I don't do enough of that! I now get up half an hour earlier than the kids, and take my time making coffee. I even sit down at the breakfast bar while its dripping....watching....listening...then...smelling...ahhhhhh!

lobster
    edited August 2015

"Forgive others. Not because they deserve your forgiveness, but because YOU deserve peace."

Love that quotation.....

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited August 2015

Oh...sorry @Jeffrey...I spelled your name wrong in the post above.

• Hi @Vastmind I still often do walking meditation while the coffee is brewing.

Vastmind
  • First: federica - That is what makes the uke soooo gooood! I don't have a good ear for music. But it sounds good anyway. <3
    Also, your foods from a different thread - NUM! NUM! But I digress :3

@federica said:
    "Forgive others. Not because they deserve your forgiveness, but because YOU deserve peace."

Love that quotation.....

Me too.
    Corollary: "If you have anger toward someone else, it is you who suffers." (Sorry, I have't a clue who gets credit for originating that on)
    We certainly have enough suffering without inviting more.

One more thing: (paraphrasing): Smile - it costs nothing, brightens your day and warms hearts.

@lobster, @Jeffrey, and @Vastmind - Waiting for the coffee is half the fun. Of course the other half is the pleasure of enjoying that cup of joe, aaahhh! B)<3

Thanks to all for this diversion. <3

Peace to all.

Vastmind
  • ShimShim Veteran

I lied a bit... I do draw. But it's not very good and it's very naive. I'm not an 'artist'.

Haha...

silverBuddhadragonlobsterLionduck
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@Shim - I think that's a great drawing! It's humorous - you don't have to be a Rembrandt to be a good/great artist. I used to encourage my ex to do some art work because he wanted to, but insisted that he was no good at it - even though he hadn't even given it a shot.

Buddhadragonlobster
  • Oh dear..I started to write something, but my mind wandered off. I must pt a chip in it's collar so I can find it quicker...Shim's picture is nice. <3 It reminds me of myself before my cup of coffee on those particularly early mornings.

Peace to all

• Very good @Shim thanks - for sharing that image ^^^