Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How to eat

Comments

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

@karasti Yeah, from the article I linked it looks like they are pretty much the same, maybe there are different sub-species. The bushes I remember grew about 10-12 feet high, and the 'trunks' were never very thick, maybe about the thickness of a quarter. The berries were never very big.

They made excellent pies, but when Mom would send us out to pick we'd eat more than we put in our containers, lol.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Reminds me of a sign at the entrance of a 'pick your own' farm.

"Upon arrival and before leaving, children will be weighed."

(Fortunately, it was humorous....)

WalkerVastmind
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Blueberries which grow wild in many parts of America just like blackberries in the UK are flown in and overpriced here. For some reason they are not growing locally, the closest we have are bilberries but they are rare or nonexistent in most areas. Elderberries are common but best made into jam. One of my favourite local berries that few know about is yew berries. These are toxic BUT only the pip is toxic. The rest is sweet and delicious and in season for winter walks.

Thanks everyone. <3

edited June 2015

Banana Muffins (makes 12 regular sized muffins)

(These are a good way to use up bananas that have been allowed to over-ripen)

Preheat oven to 375ºF/190ºC

In a medium mixing bowl, mix together wet ingredients:

2 mashed bananas
    2 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1/4 cup sour cream
    1/4 cup vegetable oil

In a large mixing bowl, mix together dry ingredients:

1-2/3 cups flour
    1/3 cup white sugar
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    pinch nutmeg

Mix wet ingredients into dry, and spoon into paper cup-lined muffin tray. Bake on centre rack for 18-20 minutes.

Try adding 1/3 cup of chopped walnuts, or chocolate chips if you're feeling extra wikid. :)

lobsterroots
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Banana Muffins

ah - health cakes <3

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Even to buy blueberries here is quite expensive. Even in the summer they are imported from other states and we probably pay $5-6 per half pint. When I pick, I usually pick 5-7 gallons (20 liters or so) in a few hours. They are very common here, which is awesome, but so are the bears that eat them, lol. Nothing better than going into the frozen berry stash to make pie or muffins when it's -40 in January! They are terrific in oatmeal, too.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Tons of blueberries where I am from in Michigan. Yummy in pancakes.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

About 2 weeks ago, I bought cherries for $1.99; two days later, I went in and the same cherries were $4.99. Gadzooks! :angry:

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Must be time for a dance break?

Who has made/had carrot cake? Yum! I think it might work with a mashed banana filling?

OK back to the food dance ...

WalkersilverKundo
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Carrot and banana... a match made in heaven!

lobster
    edited June 2015

Here's one @lobster
    Looks yummy

lobster
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

I rather like zucchini bread, as well. mmm so moist.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

This morning I made pancakes with no flour just two ingredients.
    Banana and egg.
    http://ourbestbites.com/2014/02/2-ingredient-pancakes/

Well I did add a pinch of nutmeg and cinnamon, in future I will try it with raisins. I had it with lemon juice. Suggested is butter or honey. But I found it sweet enough.

The recipe made two sets of three in a pan pancakes. Healthy, simple, breakfast, pudding. Seems a keeper ... =)

Walker
  • rootsroots Veteran

@lobster said:
    I then felt all Italiano ...

OMG lol im so glad i went back to this thread

In my city, *where I come from, I've worked with many Italian chef's and suppliers. We have a relatively large Italian presence including a heritage of rum running with good ole al capone. My grandfather worked in the saltmines (for real) and said that he saw the gangster in his youth on a cave entrance off the detroit river - hat and machine gun toting cronies included.

Anyways yea, lol, Italians face a stereotype, but they really do emphasise with their hands - when you get into the family (metaphorically), you really get to sense their esteemed passion and reverence for simple and basic joys, like good cheese, good olive oil, tomatoes, cured meats, the viola, the fresh air of naples - peter isn't too far off in his discussion. My Italian friends will fervently defend their beliefs inside a culturally exclusive dispute - and interestingly, their arguments with their first-language brothers and sisters are often just heartfelt debates and friendly chides disguised in a boppity boop beepy. But omg - stay out of it, or face a wrath worse then a fishy sleep.

But Mediterranean cuisine - fresh peppers, olive oils, hummus, pasta and bolognese and mozzarella and reggiano and basil and naan bread and italian breads - super healthy, super delicious, and maybe the best thing to come out of Rome (although I'm impressed by the latest pope) (yes carb denouncers, moderation is key) -

um I usually have a closing point, but I'm off to make pasta :+1:

lobster
  • rootsroots Veteran

@Jeffrey said:
    Tons of blueberries where I am from in Michigan. Yummy in pancakes.

Right? Mich and lower ontario are perfect for blueberries.

My friend was actually the prince of a blueberry dynasty, but they closed the farm last year. Quite sad.

• rootsroots Veteran

k for real pastatime

• mmommo Veteran
    edited July 2015

It is true that blueberries are expansive here in UK, but when I shop around, I can find good deals. Like sometimes, supermarkets, like iceland, sometimes sell twice amount for same price elsewhere.

• PöljäPöljä Veteran
    edited July 2015

Mmm, biology... :) Huge amounts of different kind of berries and mushrooms for everyone and almost everywhere over here. Most valued berries are cloudberry and arctic raspberry, tho the latter is seldomly abundant. My speciality is to make cloudberry jam flavoured with honey. It has a beautiful golden colour and the taste is both smooth and rich.

rootslobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Wolfing down food type eating is not really enjoyment. You will find the Theravadin monks eat mindfully. Good thing to experience on retreat.

Respect and attention to food really allows us to appreciate every mouthful.

Yesterday I had cheesecake. Yum, good cheesecake is not sickly sweet gunk - boo! It was a family get together with fish who I consider fellow marines ... that sadly get eaten. Sorry guys but Yum!

I rather like woodland eggs (free range, organic and the hens get wooodland) - pricey for sure.

Be kind to your food. Remember beans on toast ... how simple and good is that? <3
    http://theenglishkitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2009/09/beans-on-toast.html

roots

Here's how NOT to eat(?) - maybe that's her cat up there?

rootsKundo
  • PöljäPöljä Veteran
    edited July 2015

OCD for food - an annoying epidemic - may lead to bulimia, but that cat doesn't look like regretful and skinny at all.

silvermmo
    edited July 2015

Yeah, it's annoying because people die from all the damage it does to one's health - one's relationships - one's morale - it's not funny - but the movie Coneheads was certainly funny.
    <3

Pöljä
  • rootsroots Veteran

@silver said:
    Here's how NOT to eat(?) - maybe that's her cat up there?

CONEHEADS OMG awesome. Saw it in theatres when I was 7 and STILL was like yesh.

silver

As zany as Coneheads was, I always got a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye at the end when he says what he says to Connie, his daughter.

• rootsroots Veteran

@silver said:
    As zany as Coneheads was, I always got a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye at the end when he says what he says to Connie, his daughter.

I couldnt remember so I dug up the film on the internet and ended up watching the whole thing. I haven't seen it in 20 years so I was like wow :anguished: kramer, george adam sandler...

'It's not every day a father can give his daughter the world' *facepalm

:love: ah, Dan Aykroyd

Yes, and Sinbad ( <3 ) and that other comedian (don't know his name, having a conversation about 'the brothers' over the counter), I don't recall Kramer being in it(?), but Mr. Conehead says more poignant stuff in that same bit (probably corny to you), but it was all g-r-e-a-t stuff. :+1:

• rootsroots Veteran

kramers the hotel guy in the beginning.

ahah poignant and corney go hand-in-hand in my book :chuffed:

edited July 2015

Oh, I thought you meant this 'kramer'. :)

• rootsroots Veteran

No. Frasier was a father figure however. God I loved that show.

silver

The other day I signed up to receive articles from list25.com, and one about wacky potato chip flavors was included.

O.o

rootsWalker
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited July 2015

@lobster said:
    You will find the Theravadin monks eat mindfully. Good thing to experience on retreat.

Respect and attention to food really allows us to appreciate every mouthful.

very recently i found that there is more than that in mindful eating

after reading about consciousness, mind states and matter in Abhidhamma manual and contemplating on them during the meditation it seems, at this stage of our lives food contributes to our samsaric journey'

reasons are 'we are ignorance of food' (moha)
    because of that 'we crave for food' (lobha)
    so 'we act accordingly and eat food' (kamma and kabalinkara-ahara)

as a result we get/got this body and mind

try to see this when there is a pain in the stomach in need of defecating

stomach (body/ matter) touches with "whatever the name given to the 'thing' inside the bowel/ matter" brings the pain (mental states) and that pain knows by the mind (consciousness)

in this one instance there are five aggregates -form, feeling, perception, volition and consciousness

see how long they can stay, are they changing etc.

this is Insight meditation

lobstermmo

And then have a doughnut. But make sure you make a note of where the hole goes....

DavidhowKundo
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Fat bad?

Think again.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-skinny-on-fat.html

Quality oils (please don't burn them) from nut oils, olive and vegetable sources and fish for those so inclined are great nutrition.

And apparently swiss Chard, spinach and curly kale have more carotenoids than carrots. Eating two extra portions of these, per day (+ your daily 5 a day) will actually give your skin a natural, healthy glow....!

Swiss chard is A-Maze-ING!!

mmolobster
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2015

@silver said:> The other day I signed up to receive articles from list25.com, and one about wacky potato chip flavors was included.

Nuffink like a nice Yorkshire pudding! And a nice Bakewell tart for afters. ;)

PS I have visited Bakewell several times and the tarts there really are special....

And Melton Mowbray Pork Pies... O - M- G!!

• mmommo Veteran

I tried roots vegs crips, they were surprisingly delicious.

lobster

@mmo said:
    I tried roots vegs crips, they were surprisingly delicious.

M&S do some good ones too...

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@federica said:
    Swiss chard is A-Maze-ING!!

It is. You get two veg for the price of one. A crispy stir fry stem and a spinach top. I used to grow it. You break off the stalks at the base and it grows new ones. Quite satisfying to grow ones own ...

• mmommo Veteran

Yes. I tried them too. Such a good idea to make them as crisps.

@federica, thanks for pointing out about carotenoids. For people who don't eat much animals products, bright color vegs (carrots, butternut squash and sweet potatos) are the best bet for that. I had made butternut squash dish with garlic, ginger and onions, it was delicious.

lobster
  • mmommo Veteran
    edited July 2015

I really don't know how to cook kale, swiss chard. I do use kale in juices. Need to find out how else i can eat them.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@federica said:> M&S do some good ones too...

M&S?! Sheer luxury! To me Tescos is posh. ;)

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Here are the benefits of imaginary eating
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33690211

I went to Asda. I asked whether they sold Swiss Chard. The guy took me to where the emmenthal and Leerdammer were.... No, I explained, it's not a CHEESE - it's a vegetable.

"Oh. I don't eat many vegetables. What does it look like?"
    I described it. Green, white stems.

He took me to the cauliflowers.
    "That's the only green and white vegetable I know. Is THAT it..?"

F. F. S.....!!

So I never found my Swiss Chard today and I'm not a happy Bunny! Next year - yes - I WILL grow my own!!

mmoWalkersilver
  • mmommo Veteran

I think I can find swiss chard in my local vegetable shop, some open air market in the town has more variety of leafy greens. Supermarkets only have standard vegs, like 2/3 different lettuce, spinach, brocolli, and may be rockets. if I am lucky, I can get pak choi occasionally. Sometimes, spring onions for stir fry, that is about it really. These are some of greens I can't get here in UK.

pennywort leaves Can eat this as salad with a little tomato, onion and other spices, this is supposed to be good for people with high blood pressures.

Water spinach They are really nice when stir-fried together with button mushrooms. I probably can get this at chinese grocery store at unreasonable price for a veg. They call it chinese morning glory or something.

Roselle leaves These creamy and sour leaves can either be eaten as a sour clear soup or stir fry with bamboo shoots.

In some area in London where there are a lot of asian shops around, it is really easy to get some of these.

lobster
    edited July 2015

It's ridiculous... D'you know he actually suggested I buy it 'on-line'...?
    Oh good grief....! :D

mmo
  • mmommo Veteran

Yes. With just a few selection of vegs, supermarkets probably think they have done hard work of bring variety to shelves. At least you had talked to someone.

In the city I live, there are universities and shops are always busy. Staff are either far too busy or cant be found when you need help.

@federica said:
    It's ridiculous... D'you know he actually suggested I buy it 'on-line'...?
    Oh good grief....! :D

Next time you shop there, take a picture of the stuff and ask him to get it into stock.
    Btw, have you done any more clearing on that future garden?

• lobsterlobster Veteran

This week I poisoned myself [careless crustacean]. Painful food poisoning for about 6 to 8 hours, followed by shivers and sweats.

Cause: well I am looking after my sisters house whilst her and partner are holidaying in France.
    The kitchen was spotless and I kept it spotless but ... could have been:
    flies, saw some about, dirty dishcloth, frozen veg from freezer may have been suspect. Nonstick frying pans may be dissolving into food. Chlorine or ammonia from bath cleaning chemical may have offered gas poisoning, ye ancient powdered milk that I used in coffee was more powder than milk etc.

Could have been a combination, who knows ...

This is a very rare occurrence, I put everything including the non stick pans in the dishwasher, they are rather cheap ones and I have ruined them [oops] ... I was in a bit of a state ...

Anyway ... cleanliness is next to [wait wrong religion] ... Buddliness?

No advice on what to eat as I have just been on a forced fast, drinking herbal tea, very nice and lemon and water. May go onto the hard stuff soon ... add a little honey ...

Thanks bees!

... and now back to those eating ...