Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hellfire and brimstone

nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

Recently someone posted a link to the Wang Saen Suk Hell Garden (see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wang_Saen_Suk ). One thing I always disliked about Christianity (or at least how it was practiced in my hometown) was the constant emphasis on hellfire and brimstone. It seems that the Hell Garden is a Buddhist version of that. I'm curious what the other forum members think of the hell realms. Do you think they are abstractions of harmful mental states, or a very real destination after one has shuffled the mortal coil? Do you think fear of damnation and torment is an effective way to encourage moral behavior?

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

These places are not uncommon in Thailand.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited July 2015

Wang Saen Suk Hell Garden

Great place for a picnic.

The hell realms are understood in different ways. The literal and ignorant think they can end up there when dead for [insert unforgiveable naughtiness]

... however I would suggest different parts of our being are in different aspects of the six realms
    http://www.buddhistdoor.com/OldWeb/bdoor/0006e/sources/realms.htm

Rabia the well known Islamic Bodhi said it well:

http://www.suficomics.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Rabias-Prayer_colored-resized-for-upload1.jpeg

What a guy!

All Fallen Angels are forgiven in the end.

However for Buddhists too much dukkha is either unfortunate or a waste of time. Do not add to lifes difficulties. That is hellish self indulgence IMO ...

nakazcidsilver
  • PöljäPöljä Veteran

Hmmm, about 95 % of Christianity over here follows the humanistic aspects of the religion. Love and peace (quite close to Ned Flander) - and I appreciate it although I don't have any religious faith. Those scenes of Hell Gardens are gross. Maybe some people (men) have a deep need to hate some others (women).

mmo
  • mmommo Veteran
    edited July 2015

@Pöljä, i agree with you. It has so many depiction of women bodies in a quite explicit and brutal way. No need for that, I think.

By the way, with your forum name, it is impossible to refer to you. O.o

• If you visit any Buddhist temple in Korea, the first thing you encounter are ancient statues and paintings of grotesque, frightening demons with fangs and horns and forked tongues. That seems far removed from the peaceful, enlightened Buddha sitting under a tree.

They are guardian spirits, frightening the evil away, we are told. I think people just really liked a good scare. But even stranger are the penis totems and festivals in Korea and Japan and Thailand. In ancient times every Korean village had a penis totem, a huge erect boner thrusting toward the sky for everyone to see. Fertility magic in your face, the best kind. I was told that villages at war would steal or destroy the other's penis totem and cause the enemy village to wither away.

http://www.justenoughkorean.com/blog/tag/penis-park/

lobsterInvincible_summer
  • Bottom line, you create your own hell and you create your own happiness.

Anyone for some smores?

EarthninjasilverBuddhadragon
  • Plenty of hell to be encountered without seeking it. I find more peace in seeking and focusing on the serene.

Vastmindmmo
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Lionduck said:> Bottom line, you create your own hell and you create your own happiness.

That's a pretty good definition of kamma.

Shim
  • @Lionduck said:
    Bottom line, you create your own hell and you create your own happiness.

So much responsibility! But wait, who is you? Ahhhhh.

• @Daozen said: So much responsibility! But wait, who is you? Ahhhhh.

Ah, the awesome freedom of responsibility. Love it!

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

And don't eat pigs unless you want to be reborn as one!!

• mmommo Veteran

Hmm I am screwed I have eaten a lot of fishes. :( It is just hard to organise a veggie diet when you work full time.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

(I work full time, and I don't have a problem.... :confused: )

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

I would think it much easier working full time.

Since I had to take some time off, I had to go back to eating chicken.

As soon as I'm able to go back full time it's back to abstaining from meat.

As for hell realms, I see people there every day.

Earthninja
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

@nakazcid said:
    Do you think they are abstractions of harmful mental states, or a very real destination after one has shuffled the mortal coil?

Both! :)

• I luvs hell. All my old friends and departmental persona that @DhammaDragon mentions are there ... We do indeed create heaven and hell in this very life and body.

Some perverse human demons even try to worry us with post death states - pah! :p

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran
    edited August 2015

@DhammaDragon said:
    "Heaven and hell are compartments in our psyche.
    Every day we choose on which side we stand.
    Nothing worse than being held hostage in a hell of our own creation."

I really like that...a simple expression of our everyday follies:

• 1 Awesome
    • 1 LoL
    Buddhadragon