Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

beginning zen buddhism

Hello all,
It has been some time since I have made a post but I come with a question up for discussion.
I have recently taken an interest in zen buddhism and the thought came across my mind.
In todays western world where most are some denomination of christian or even catholic not by choice but because they are taught that way by tradition and know nothing else, how would you teach someone to be buddhist?
most of have discovered this way because we were interested and did the research, or we sought out another way.
From the beginning where would you start as a buddhist, to say as to start a young child on the path?

Earthninja

Comments

• How would I teach someone to be Buddhist?

Slightly different question: WHY would I teach someone to be Buddhist? I wouldn't. When someone discovers Buddhism (or Greek yogurt, or The Beatles) resources abound. I wouldn't teach. I might share thoughts, discuss, as on this forum, but I'm not personally out to recruit converts or teach my way of doing things.

Earthninjalobster
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

@frozenlotus said:
    Hello all,
    It has been some time since I have made a post but I come with a question up for discussion.
    I have recently taken an interest in zen buddhism and the thought came across my mind.
    In todays western world where most are some denomination of christian or even catholic not by choice but because they are taught that way by tradition and know nothing else, how would you teach someone to be buddhist?
    most of have discovered this way because we were interested and did the research, or we sought out another way.
    From the beginning where would you start as a buddhist, to say as to start a young child on the path?

I have thought like this also, but to be honest I've found the best thing to do is be a role model.
    Let the child or other people come to you. It might come up in discussion but I haven't yet engaged someone else about this.
    For me it's a spiritual path that is like a bug I have caught, I can't help but look for the cure.
    I'm not out to convince others to catch the bug lol.

Invincible_summerSpoogleyagrBunks
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited August 2015

@frozenlotus said:

I would personally start with teaching them a basic meditation practice.

Invincible_summer
  • @seeker242 said:
    I would personally start with teaching them a basic meditation practice.

Sadist! Child abuser! [oops] ;)

I must say I agree with bringing up good people and then letting those people find spirituality, judaism, capitalism, shamanism, hedonism, cosplay or whatever floats their boat ...

... and leave your pets out of it too ...

Invincible_summeryagrVastmindCinorjer
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

@frozenlotus said:
    Hello all,

How did you discover Zen Buddhism?

If you set up the proper conditions, it's likely that those around you may discover it on their own terms as well.

Personally, I never understood how modern-day missionaries get their job done. If someone came around all the time trying to convince me to believe in their faith tradition, I'd just be less likely to give any attention.

However, finding a faith tradition on your own is much more rewarding and helps you build your own personal connections with it, as opposed to the connections that someone else tells you to make.

Finally, not as a personal attack on you, but I find it amusing and ironic that you are interested in promulgating Zen Buddhism. It's the one school of Buddhism that tends to be against that... hell, even some monastics deny that they are Zen monks, or that they're Buddhists.

Vastmind
  • find a teacher who can teach you how to teach?

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

"From the beginning where would you start as a buddhist, to say as to start a young child on the path?"

Just lead by example ie, Thoughts>Words>Deeds

Daozen
  • The best way, the only way - to truly teach - is by example.

Earthninjapegembarasova
  • OP, I came to Buddhism as a young child. It was the 4 Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path that intrigued me; the inherent logic and the absence of a make-believe Santa Claus-like divinity in the sky are what appealed to me. It doesn't take much. Kids are naturally inquisitive, with minds like little sponges. Unless they've been heavily propagandized by authority figures in another tradition, kids would be curious about something new, I would think.

Walkersova
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

@Dakini said:
    OP, I came to Buddhism as a young child. It was the 4 Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path that intrigued me; the inherent logic and the absence of a make-believe Santa Claus-like divinity in the sky are what appealed to me. It doesn't take much. Kids are naturally inquisitive, with minds like little sponges. Unless they've been heavily propagandized by authority figures in another tradition, kids would be curious about something new, I would think.

Oh, how I wish I had been exposed to Buddhism as a child. Instead, I was exposed to heavy propaganda.

silverajhayes
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

"It's never too late to start again today".
    You're here NOW, @Walker. Be happy, and make the most of it.... ;)

Walkerlobster
  • @Walker said:
    Oh, how I wish I had been exposed to Buddhism as a child. Instead, I was exposed to heavy propaganda.

lol! In 4th grade Sunday school, they hired a new teacher, a college student who was studying World Religions. So she gave us a World Religions course, and taught us how to take lecture notes. I was in heaven! (It sure beat the dumb passtimes they had us doing in 3rd grade, like making creche figures out of pipe cleaners and colored paper. :p ) And the Buddhism "chapter" and also the Taoism section hooked me. After that, I'd scour the library for books on Buddhism. =)

Walkersilversova
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

@Walker said:

FWIW I've met kids with Buddhist parents and they think its' all boring, going to temples and meditating and chanting.

lobsterhowShim
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

My younger son, at an early age, was the only one of my children ever to ask to come and do zazen (seated meditation) with me. He was nine or ten at the time. We sat down and I gave him a very simple set of instructions about sitting still and being silent. On the first strike of the meditation bell, as the sound floated away, he spoke right up: "It sounds like birds in my ears," he said. And who could contradict him? Not me.

Generally, I think the rule of thumb for children interested in a practice-based spirituality is ... "go out and sin some more." In this way, the soil of spiritual life can be honestly enriched ... or anyway that's my take.

Invincible_summersilverajhayes
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran
    edited August 2015

@Walker said:

It's refreshing to make it into some sort of weird and magical clearing, isn't it? :awesome:

Walker
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@frozenlotus

In one Buddhist monastery I practiced at, children were encouraged to join their parents in meditating if that's what they wanted. They even set up a community of families near the temple to help facilitate this. Sunday school and the whole nine yards.
    Some of those kids eventually grew up to be monks where as most went their own way, just like anywhere else.

Ones practice, to ones kid, is best taught by your living example of it.
    If one practice was actually right for everyone, we'd already all be in it.
    &
    personally I'd practice to be the best parent possible and respect my kid to figure out what path is best for them.

Bunks
  • KarikoPuppiesKarikoPuppies Veteran
    edited August 2015

I hesitated wether I should say this or not but since I've already mentioned this in other thread, so why not.
    Shakyamuni Buddha said that practice differs each time (1st 500years, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and from 5th 500years after his extinction - Mahāsamnipata-sūtra )
    Meditation is the method for 2nd 500years.
    practicing meditation as a buddhist practice would not give you any merit but I think it is good for other purposes as non buddhist.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Moderator Note: The above comment is utterly irrelevant to the thread topic of 'beginning Zen Buddhism'....
    Please stick to the topic in hand.
    (The comment was alerted.)

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Maybe when they get their heart's broken for the first time or lose a loved one they may turn to the dharma? Who knows........

Invincible_summer
    edited August 2015

@federica said:
    Moderator Note: The above comment is utterly irrelevant to the thread topic of 'beginning Zen Buddhism'....
    Please stick to the topic in hand.
    (The comment was alerted.)

I am not sure 100 percent but
    don't zen buddhism practice zen meditation?
    I was trying tell OP that buddhist meditation is the practice of the past time according to Buddha's word to begin with. and also even at the zen buddhism school they only let certain level of monks to do zen meditation because it could be dangerous spiritually. I am just trying to tell that he/she might have to be careful with meditation practice as a buddhism practice especially for a child. ( I don't know much about regular western meditation, so I can't say much about it ). I don't know why this had to get warning if I did? I am just trying to say to be safe than sorry when it comes to buddhist practice, that is all. but if I did write something offensive or if it was irrelevant I apologize sincerely.

Earthninja
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@KarikoPuppies
    What interesting views you bring here.

so....
    If the Buddha's first meditative experience was at the age of eight, perhaps you could tell us what kind of meditative warning advise you would have offered that child.

Invincible_summer
  • @how said:
    KarikoPuppies
    What interesting views you bring here.

so....
    If the Buddha's first meditative experience was at the age of eight, perhaps you could tell us what kind of meditative warning advise you would have offered that child.

If you were referring Shakyamuni Buddha, he became a Buddha way long before ( in one of his previous lives ) he was born as Gautama siddhartha.
    so that Buddha child was not an average child.
    I get the feelings that people think he first became a buddha in that life time when he was born as gautama siddhartha.
    I should just shut up cuz whenever I try to be helpful someone feel uncomfortable.
    I will just hang out and say nothing then, I like here so can I stay please? I will be quiet.

• ShimShim Veteran

@KarikoPuppies
    I think Theravada Buddhists view Buddha as someone who was an ordinary being and then became enlightened. This is also how Buddhism is usually presented in the West, as a religion who was founded by a man who sat under a tree and got enlightened.

And please, stay with us. Isn't one of the purposes of having a Sangha that people can have their views challenged from time to time? :)

lobsterWalkerKarikoPuppiessilver
  • @Shim said:

thank you so much for being kind to me, I only want to be helpful and nothing less nothing more, maybe I sound rough cuz my english is not so good, I only know simple english. in fact it takes quite a long time to write just a little paragraph cause I have to look for words in english and try to make it understandable so I won't be misunderstood.
    I like being here and I like people here, it's so nice to peak into what everyone is interested in. but the nosy person in me keeps popping up. I will try to be more polite then.
    anyway, thank you so very much for sharing a little warm seat with me : ) I really appreciate, Shim.

edited August 2015

@how said:

Welcome to the party, KarikoPuppies.

Thank you so much for kind welcoming I am so thankful for it.
    I am learning lot of things not only about the buddhism but also how to live daily life with others here. I would love to learn more about you guys and share thoughts ect. I will do my very best : )
    Wishing you a very pleasant and healthy weekend! thank you~

• BarahBarah Veteran
    edited October 2015

@frozenlotus said:

Give him experience he will enjoy and value.

• @frozenlotus said:

Perhaps you are the child in the question?

In that case the answer is different because personal volition to grow into Zen is present. Personally if that is indeed the nature of the question, I would: