Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is mind in Buddhism?

13»

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one !"
    ~Albert Einstein~

• KaldenYungdrungKaldenYungdrung Netherlands Explorer

Nirvana = Mind turned inwardly reflecting upon its true nature
    Samsara = Mind turned outwards lost in its projection

• One mind "looks" inside
    • One Mind "looks" outside

Therefore we move from Samsara to Nirvana or to the other shore, due to methods.

Some question(s):

• Is it for you the same mind which turns inwardly as well is lost in projections?
    • Is it possible to "look" outwardly pure ?
    • Is it possible to look "inwardly" and have a wrong result / experience about the true perfect Natural State / Mind of Enlightenment?
    • Is Mind with the eyes aware if it sees outside and inside ?
    • Samsara is Nirvana ?
    • When would Samsara be Nirvana ?
    • Maybe is everything Mind and mind only?
    • Matter is of course no mind but would it be "Mind" made ?

KY

• @SpinyNorman said:

@pegembara said: Mind is the cause of ignorance.

Ignorance doesn't have a cause in Buddhism.

This article is about removing ignorance from the mind:
    "...ultimately the supreme defilement — unawareness, the emperor of the round of rebirth — is completely obliterated from the mind."

Ok - mistakening the mind as self is ignorance. Recognising its true nature is awakening.

lobsterShoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@KaldenYungdrung said:

Some question(s):

• Is it for you the same mind which turns inwardly as well is lost in projections?
    • Is it possible to look "inwardly" and have a wrong result / experience about the true perfect Natural State / Mind of Enlightenment?
    • Samsara is Nirvana ?

KY

@KaldenYungdrung ...

Too many questions but I'll try to answer them

....Ah Ahh !!! I now have the answer...
    Owww wait a minute...... I think I can touch my finger tips ....

Now monkey mind has had its fun, so time for something slightly more on the serious side....

You are asking someone to explain something which can only be experienced by the subjective experience had...

Words strung together in sentences (to form a concept) I feel will lead to the inevitable contradiction...

However "I" must say that at times effing the ineffable can be a rewarding experience :)

Thus "I" have heard that.... "Enlightenment is Absolute Cooperation with the Inevitable !"

• KaldenYungdrungKaldenYungdrung Netherlands Explorer
    edited January 2016

@Shoshin said:

@KaldenYungdrung said:

Some question(s):

• Samsara is Nirvana ?

KY

@KaldenYungdrung ...

Too many questions but I'll try to answer them

....Ah Ahh !!! I now have the answer...
    Owww wait a minute...... I think I can touch my finger tips ....

Now monkey mind has had its fun, so time for something slightly more on the serious side....

You are asking someone to explain something which can only be experienced by the subjective experience had...

Words strung together in sentences (to form a concept) I feel will lead to the inevitable contradiction...

However "I" must say that at times effing the ineffable can be a rewarding experience :)

Thus "I" have heard that.... "Enlightenment is Absolute Cooperation with the Inevitable !"

Well there are still some questions unanswered until now.
    It would be interesting if some persons here aboard would give their opinion(s), which would be helpful to get the picture (Mind etc.) more clear.

Certainly are some experiences / visions very individual and cannot seen by others, but there are some general assumptions about visions like pure and impure ones etc.
    Also if we experience happiness during meditation , we do not know what (kind of) happiness is experienced by others,but we know the understanding of happiness, and that we can recognise during "meditation" (individual). We can speak of similarities seldom of similar things regarding meditations.

Sure, i could answer all these questions, but that was not my intention.
    My intention was to discuss these topics one by one, according some opinions from others here aboard. Maybe this is possible or not.......

KY.

• CarlitaCarlita Bastian please! Save us! United States Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    An open question.

I would say where we hold insight, awareness, peace, and all of the above. The Buddha talks about unity in mind, speech, and body. That all centers from the mind. So, I'd assume it's the bowl that holds what we eat. The thing is, are we eating what is good for us or what is not.

Shoshin
  • rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran

I assumes mind is like a air.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Yes, motion in space.

• rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran
    edited January 2016

I mean mind is like a normal air . As air dont smell and we don't realise it most of the time. But it can have different interpretation if it is diluted with some fragrance or bad smell.
    So the mind can be diluted with emotions and we starts to overrhink and finally loss the peace of mind. But if it does not has thoughts then we finds peace.