Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

If you're applying to join the forum simply to obtain free ice-cream...

...then we can accommodate you. Neapolitan is guaranteed....

Per4umerRuddyDuck9newlotus

Comments

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Yeah! Neopolitan should be retroactive. :grin:

RuddyDuck9
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2016

@SpinyNorman's Neapolitan Ice Cream is guaranteed _Radio_cative.... He likes to eat it whilst on his treadmill, listening to R4 and "The Archers" (Yum-ti tum-ti tum-ti tum...)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

(Incidentally, re: the 'serious' thread this is mimicking, I get at a rough guess, about 10 applicants a week wanting to obtain free literature. O.o )

herberto
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@federica said:
    (Incidentally, re: the 'serious' thread this is mimicking, I get at a rough guess, about 10 applicants a week wanting to obtain free literature. O.o )

Like the kind of stuff that gets sent out in plain packaging? :p

No, they actually believe we distribute books, by HHDL, TNH and any other prominent Buddhist you'd care to mention. "Please send such-and-such-a- title", or "I would like 10 copies of TNH's Peace is every step, please. Are they new or used?" GTF outta here....

herberto
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

That doesn't seem like it would be coincidence. You should ask them why they thought we have free books, someone must be having a joke and sending them here.

No, the applications are from world-wide applicants. Different time-zones, countries, IP numbers email addresses... It's common for Temples to have free Buddhist literature available. Many Buddhist websites do have free downloadable pdf books, so it's not a stretch to find that those applying here assume we offer the same.

• @federica said:

I can see the reason for this thread then. I'm only one member but I've got to ask @SpinyNorman for free Neapolitan about ten times a week.

ShoshinKundo
  • Huh. That's strange to me, that people expect any group to give away books. The whole idea of the internet is to send the same information directly to your screen. There's entire libraries on the internet about Buddhism, after all.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I did not get free ice cream. Though I find neopolitan to be difficult. I always separate things into color (a little ocd kicking in) and neopolitan ice cream I ate by preference. vanilla first (least favorite) then strawberry then chocolate. And it was a never ending battle to get the little bits of strawberry off both the chocolate and vanilla so I could have pure rather than mixed flavors! Thankfully since I am no longer the victim of neopolitan-loving parents, I just get my own chocolate-only ice cream and my life is much easier. Whew.

yagrSteve_BNirvanaFosdick
    edited September 2016

Ice cream in the UK is largely very low-quality. It's watery and insipid. recently bought some purportedly Cornish vanilla ice cream, "a seen on TV"... what a disappointment. Very low on flavour and consistency, but it's not alone.
    Why are ice-creams here so poor in quality?
    Because the UK has "I must eat healthily-itis" right across the board. Low this, lite that, 'virtually fat free' crap.

I've tried Ben & Jerry's but they have a lot more flavours than is good for them, and the sumptuous array of flavours is confusing and just a bit much. It's also quite expensive, at £8.00/$10.40 /litre...
    Carte d'Or is ok, but again, has so much crap in it to make it "eat straight from the freezer" that when it melts, it's actually an offensive pile of mess.

Honestly, we've become paranoid about low-fat, low calorie, low-sodium that we're preparing bland, insipid tasteless food, which sadly we are feeding our children... Kids under the age of 18 shouldn't be eating 'low' anything - they need the essential nutrients for healthy growth, but they're being deprived of them by the marketing propaganda of the Big players in the Food industry - arguably one of the most powerful organisations in the world. As well as feeding you crap, they're feeding you lies.

herberto
  • Steve_BSteve_B Veteran
    edited September 2016

Uh, OK.
    But could you please send me the ice cream anyway? And the books?
    Thanks.

yagrsilverKundo
  • @federica said:
    Ice cream in the UK is largely very low-quality. It's watery and insipid. recently bought some purportedly Cornish vanilla ice cream, "a seen on TV"... what a disappointment. Very low on flavour and consistency, but it's not alone.
    Why are ice-creams here so poor in quality?
    Because the UK has "I must eat healthily-itis" right across the board. Low this, lite that, 'virtually fat free' crap.

I've tried Ben & Jerry's but they have a lot more flavours than is good for them, and the sumptuous array of flavours is confusing and just a bit much. It's also quite expensive, at £8.00/$10.40 /litre...
    Carte d'Or is ok, but again, has so much crap in it to make it "eat straight from the freezer" that when it melts, it's actually an offensive pile of mess.

Honestly, we've become paranoid about low-fat, low calorie, low-sodium that we're preparing bland, insipid tasteless food, which sadly we are feeding our children... Kids under the age of 18 shouldn't be eating 'low' anything - they need the essential nutrients for healthy growth, but they're being deprived of them by the marketing propaganda of the Big players in the Food industry - arguably one of the most powerful organisations in the world. As well as feeding you crap, they're feeding you lies.

I remember the disappointment of my first ice cream from a vendor at a beach in England. It was like eating whipped cream. They stuck a tiny shaved piece of chocolate in it and I suppose that was to make up for it.

our kids can get fat free chocolate milk (with 25 grams of sugar) but cannot get whole fat or even 2% milk at school. So they all go with chocolate because fat-free milk is like milk water, lol. That is on top of school lunch that averages 75g of carbs per meal, which might not be so bad for the 17 year old football player. But is another story for the 6 year old kindergartener. But they are served the same meals. School lunch for tomorrow is chicken patty (on a bun), peaches, baked beans, tater tots, and for most kids, chocolate milk. All carbs, basically. That's a typical day. And they wonder why they are unteachable by the time 2pm comes around. Ugh. Anyhow...

Thankfully, we have lots of options for decent ice cream here. Many freezers full at most stores. But it's definitely not all created equal. My favorites are the brands that have just a few ingredients. Bryers makes a decent one with only 5 ingredients. But my ultimate favorite is a local frozen custard stand that is only open 3 months a year. Which is probably a good thing, LOL. All home made, amazingly creamy and delicious.

There was just a big article that went around here (in the US at least) that talked about how the sugar industry paid scientists to say that fat was the culprit of weight gain and disease and not sugar. They paid to change the studies that shaped our nutritional guidelines. And those guideliness are STILL in place! It's insanity to me. The USDA uses these guidelines not only to shape the recommendations they make, but doctors use them, and they are the basis of all food-related training, such as for dieticians. that is why our schools, hospitals, nursing homes, prisons...any institutional food program is based on a lie. All of it. It's a disgrace. Yet knowing this, no one has fixed it.

Jeroen
  • Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran

@federica said:
    No, the applications are from world-wide applicants. Different time-zones, countries, IP numbers email addresses... It's common for Temples to have free Buddhist literature available. Many Buddhist websites do have free downloadable pdf books, so it's not a stretch to find that those applying here assume we offer the same.

-Perhaps you can somehow monetize this situation, so you can reimburse SpineyNorman for the ice-cream he dolls out on newbuddhist's behalf. It would have to be tasteful though, cause no harm, and nothing too pedestrian :-)

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Having so little (good) ice cream to choose from is probably just as bad as having too many to choose from: We have a million flavors/brands/quality here. I'm glad because I USEd to be an ice cream freak. Now, it's just on rare occasions. But, I do have a favorite (or two). Dreyer's Jamoca Almond Fudge. I never go to Baskin & Robbins anymore, but if I did, my fave there is World Class Chocolate. I am a connoisseur (almost spelt it right) and could talk endlessly of flavors of ice cream. Growing up, we had variety in aces n spades: grown-up favorites were black walnut, which you never hear of these days, butter pecan, and black cherry.

@federica said:> Ice cream in the UK is largely very low-quality. It's watery and insipid. recently bought some purportedly Cornish vanilla ice cream, "a seen on TV"... what a disappointment. Very low on flavour and consistency, but it's not alone.

I know, but I don't care, I am not at all fussy when it comes to ice-cream, anything will do. :p

edited September 2016

@Will_Baker said:> -Perhaps you can somehow monetize this situation, so you can reimburse SpineyNorman for the ice-cream he dolls out on newbuddhist's behalf. It would have to be tasteful though, cause no harm, and nothing too pedestrian :-)

Unfortunately the ice-cream would melt in the post, so you will need to buy it locally and send all the receipts to Federica for re-imbursement. :p

karastiherbertoFosdick

My favorite guilty pleasure ice cream is moose tracks, because I love the huge veins of fudge in it. I don't buy it often, most ice cream is $8 per half gallon here, and to drive out of town to get it would require buying ice. So, it's a rarity which again is a good thing. But I do love a good bowl of partially melted chocolate ice cream, eaten more like cold pudding. I'm not a huge fan of mixed flavors and I cannot handle nuts in my ice cream, the difference in textures is too much, lol. But I love butterscotch, fudge, and other such things. Mmm butterscotch.

@Steve_B said:
    Uh, OK.
    But could you please send me the ice cream anyway? And the books?
    Thanks.

No problem. Send me your freezer and bookcase, and I will happily fill both for you to capacity...

@SpinyNorman said:

@Will_Baker said:> -Perhaps you can somehow monetize this situation, so you can reimburse SpineyNorman for the ice-cream he dolls out on newbuddhist's behalf. It would have to be tasteful though, cause no harm, and nothing too pedestrian :-)

Unfortunately the ice-cream would melt in the post, so you will need to buy it locally and send all the receipts to Federica for re-imbursement. :p

I would also need evidence that you've actually eaten the stuff, or else any ol' charlie can buy a tub of ice cream.

Remember however, that if I can't see it, then it doesn't exist (to rob a phrase from Mrs. Jerry Sheindlin).

yagrSteve_BCinorjer
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited September 2016

Neapolitan (Sick!) is the world's worst. I remember when as a child both my folks were in hospital, as was my oldest sibling. AnyWho, I ended up for about 3-6 weeks in an orphanage run by nuns. I was about 5 or 6 and refused to eat the dessert (Neapolitan Ice cream), and when a nun intervened I kicked her in the shin. I was soon locked into a closet for a while while my older sister, now out of hospital, helplessly looked on. I guess the nun thought I got my just deserts, though.

herberto

Just so you guys know, I got a half gallon of Breyer's natural vanilla, along with butterscotch. And sprinkles. The kids went nuts for sundaes tonight. Way to be a bad influence :wink:

DairyLamaSteve_Bfedericanakazcid

Every now and then, someone would buy ice milk for the house. I'm not entirely sure why, because it wasn't very flavorful. Although I have had worse ice cream.

• Yes ice milk was rather flavorless. I seem to recall it was seen as a low calorie alternative to ice cream.

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@karasti said:
    It's a disgrace.

I know!!! Fat free chocolate milk is a travesty :scream:

_ /\ _

silverkarasti

As much as I love neopolitan ice cream...... Bubblegum Paddlepops If I could get me some of them...............................

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Not all UK ice creams are a travesty... Green & Blacks do some very decent full-fat ice creams. And here on the continent even the own-brand supermarket ice creams are made with full fat cream, organic if you want!

Ben & Jerries is even more outrageously expensive here than it is in the U.K... some of the flavours i am quite partial to, like Phish Food and Cookie Dough. But it's a rare diversion. Holland is home to a lot of Italian style ice cream parlours which all make their own ice creams... they are rated country wide, and competition to be number 1 is fierce... so a visit to the ice cream parlour in summer is a popular treat. Many of them close during the winter though.

@dhammachick said:
    As much as I love neopolitan ice cream...... Bubblegum Paddlepops If I could get me some of them...............................

Are they like ice-lollies with chewing gum inside? ;)

@dhammachick said:

Knock yerself out my dear....!

• Could I have some Ben & Jerry's Karmel Sutra please? It is both delicious and educational =)

ZenshinsilverSteve_BVastmind
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

My favorite is Breyer's French Vanilla. Simple tastes for a simple mind...

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

@karasti Sorry, couldn't find a clip of this in English. But I think it's even more hilarious in Spanish.

karastiDairyLama

@Walker :lol: mmm chocolatay!

• Sheer luxury!

You were lucky!

@federica said:

@dhammachick said:

Knock yerself out my dear....!

drools I loved the double Bubblegum.

True story - I used to work down the road from the Streets factory in Tempe (an industrial suburb in Sydney) when I was 20 and each Friday I would buy 10 paddlepops at cost price.

Those were the days...........

Bunks
  • Well @dhammachick after hearing about those paddlepops I had to go investigate. Sounds as though they were quite a treat. My joy was Dairy Queen Hot Fudge Sundaes The fudge topping was thick not watered down. You always got a generous portion. Not at all like today. Those were indeed the days........

Kundo
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran
    edited October 2016

@karasti said

My favorite guilty pleasure ice cream is moose tracks

I have a big problem with that ice cream - I have to eat it with eyes closed because every time I see it (my wife buys it frequently) a vivid image arises in my mind of all the moose tracks I have seen out in the swamp, well sprinkled with trampled droppings. The dogs like those on occasion, but I never acquired the taste.

My favorite is the licorice flavor - colored black - that I used to get at Baskin Robins back in the old days. Haven't seen if for decades, which is probably why it's still my favorite

person
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Condolences @dhammachick. The Swans tried hard!

Difficult not to get caught up in the Doggies fairytale though. 62 years is a long time between premierships!

@Bunks said:
    Condolences @dhammachick. The Swans tried hard!

Difficult not to get caught up in the Doggies fairytale though. 62 years is a long time between premierships!

Pfft. The last quarter was a dodgy reffing affair (yes I know I sound grudgy, I am). But I console myself with the fact it will likely take them another 62 years to win :tongue:

Bunks