Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@newbuddhist.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take up to 48 hours. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist quotes

1235»

Comments

• KeromeKerome Love, love is mystery The Continent Veteran

"To study Buddhism is to study the self. To study the self is to forget the self. To forget the self is to be awakened by all things."

• Dogen
    BunksadamcrossleyJeffrey

"Have good trust in yourself ... not in the One that you think you should be, but in the One that you are."

• Maezumi Roshi
    BunksJeffrey

Learning Zen is a phenomenon of gold and dung. Before you understand it, it's like gold; after you understand it, it's like dung.
    — Zen proverb

Just as a goldsmith assays gold, by rubbing, cutting, and burning, so should you examine my words. Do not accept them just out of faith in me.
    — Buddha

adamcrossleyShoshin
  • If, after obtaining Buddhahood, anyone in my land
    gets tossed in jail on a vagrancy rap, may I
    not attain highest perfect enlightenment.

-Gary Snyder, ‘Burning’

Bunks

The only Zen you find at the top of the mountain is the Zen you bring with you.
    — Zen proverb

Bunks

Suffering arises from clinging. Therefore for the mind which inclines to letting go, the path to enlightenment is very much easier.
    — paraphrased from the Buddha

• Anxiety, the illness of our time, comes primarily from our inability to dwell in the present moment.
    —Thich Nhat Hanh, The Heart of the Buddha’s Teaching

KeromeShoshinBunks

‘Heroes become Buddhas with one thought, but the lazy people are given the three collections of scriptures to traverse.’
    — zen sutra

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Suppose you are on a flight. The aircraft is state-of-the-art, comfortable. Beautiful sky outside the window, attentive stewardesses, soft music, classy passengers....everything is perfect. You are sure that the journey will be quite pleasant.

But suddenly comes the voice of the captain, “Our plane is off course and has lost contact with the ground. We have no landing point and must keep flying. We have enough fuel to only last ten minutes.”

How would you feel then? All these wonderful feelings disappear immediately. “Captain please try all means to find a safe landing place.”

When a person is born the plane of his life takes off. Even if one has another 40 or 50 years to live, the time is like the fuel on the plane: it only decreases and will soon be used up.

Where is the landing point of our life? Can we enjoy living at ease before we find it?

Power, status, money, career, marriage, family - are any of these the final landing point of our life?

Someone who believes these are the aim of life is like a lost plane taking the clouds in the air as a safe landing place.

Dharma Master Jingzong

person
  • Although from the beginning
    I knew
    the world is impermanent,
    not a moment passes
    when my sleeves are dry.

—Zen Master Ryokan, Sky Above, Great Wind

So, Bahiya, should you train yourself: “in the seen, there will be only the seen; in the heard, only the heard; in the sensed, only the sensed; in that of which I am conscious, only that of which I am conscious.” This is how you should train.

— Udana

Bunks