Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

No birth, no death; no coming, no going; no same, no different; no being, no non-being.

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

I was reading a book of Thich Nhat Hanh’s, called No Death, No Fear. In it he talks about the basic concepts that fuel our fear, and the teaching of the Buddha’s traditionally given to quiet that response. He calls it “the eight no’s”, of no birth, no death, no coming, no going, no same, no different, and no being and no non-being. I thought it was a particularly beautiful teaching, but it takes a little while to absorb. I read the book over about 4 days, and it is still reverberating in my being. I intend to go back and reread the entire book.

It is quite amazing that a book can dispel notions of death, ownership of the body, and other such core features of the body-mind complex. A lot of different teachings were mentioned: the three dharma seals, inter-being, impermanence in great depth, annatta and dependent origination a little.

But I haven’t been able to find a sutra for “the eight no’s” and I thought perhaps you could help me out. Anyway it’s an excellent book, I recommend it.

elcra1golobster

Comments

• elcra1goelcra1go Edinburgh, Scotland Explorer
    edited August 2018

I have read a few books by Thich Nhat Hanh- I am about 3/4s of the way through 'Awakening of the Heart: essential Buddhist sutras and commentaries.' It is great because it contains the original translations, then TNH goes on to explains 9 different sutras, in that simple, clear way than he has... the sutra on the full awareness of breathing; sutra on the four establishments of mindfulness; sutra on knowing the better way to live alone; the sutra on better way to catch a snake; diamond sutra; the heart sutra; sutra of the middle way; sutra on the 8 realisations of the great beings and the sutra on happiness.

Not sure if it contains what you are looking for; as on page 430 something of 520 odd...

JeroenJeffreylobster
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

@Kerome said:

But I haven’t been able to find a sutra for “the eight no’s” and I thought perhaps you could help me out. Anyway it’s an excellent book, I recommend it.

The Heart Sutra is the most popular.

ShoshinlobsterJeroen
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Besides missing the mark, too many no's is every bit as flummoxed as the yes's that preceded them.

Ask any daisy or sneeze.

lobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited August 2018
  • VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran

Mūlamadhyamakakārikā also has these 8 negations.

person
  • I intend to go back and reread the entire book.

No Way!
    I mean ... Know Way.

It is the mark of the useful that it deserves study or multiple impacts ...

For me the ultimate negation is the assertion that also includes its opposite in non being, which @genaku and the Mahayana hint at:
    Form is emptiness, emptiness is form
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/20569/form-is-emptiness-what-does-it-mean