Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@newbuddhist.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take up to 48 hours. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Perfectionism

KeromeKerome Love, love is mysteryThe Continent Veteran

It strikes me that much of what we do is driven by a kind of perfectionism, and not accepting the world the way it is. I was talking to my stepfather yesterday, he is 83 and he was talking about how much of a mess the British government is making of Brexit. The way he said it made me realise that his underlying motivation was actually that what he wanted was something different. Now this isn’t something he could do anything about, but still he was spending his time and energy reading the bbc website and papers in order to follow what was going on.

We do this in a lot of cases. We get wound up about things that somehow we attach to in our minds. It can be an idea, or some ideal, and in fact, the world often carries on regardless of what we think. Sometimes our perfectionism is about something personal, like health or fitness. But still it is not seeing things clearly.

lobsterperson

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think the void Veteran

Yes, I think the world is messy and grey. The world exists on a continuum, rather than a binary and things are relative and contextual rather than absolute. I think this is what the doctrine of emptiness and interdependence points to.

lobsterShoshinKerome
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Whosoever sees the Dependent Origination sees the Dharma
    Whosoever sees the Dharma sees Dependent Origination

I blame it all on the five aggregates and their partners in crime, the six sense doors...I wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw them

Kerome
  • federicafederica seeker of the clear blue sky Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

The other problem as I see it, is that people identify with what they don't like. It was Tim Minchin in a recent talk, that opened my eyes to this. We personify ourselves by the things that irk us... as he described, He realised he was doing this when somebody asked him what kind of music he liked and he replied, negatively, that he doesn't listen to radio, because he doesn't think good songs are being written... then again, someone else, asked what their favourite cuisine was, replying with, "I can't stand this habit of putting balsamic vinegar on everything... " or me, being asked my favourite breed of dog, revealing that those that slobber actually turn my stomach...

We identify with the negative and thus present ourselves in a negative light. If we were instead to focus on what we find to be good about something, it might make us in turn, more detached and more pleasant, focusing on the positive....

personKeromeadamcrossley
  • lobsterlobster Veteran Veteran

Ah ha!
    Defined and identifying by the Ideal. I'll join. o:)

The Four Noble Perfections

1. Existence is Perfect
    2. Focus on the Greater Good
    3. Understanding The Natural
    4. Being Natural

Which leads to the 8 Fold Wonders

... Thanks Buddha. Nice try. :p ;) <3