Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

KIndness

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

UCLA Kindness Institute

A friendly smile. A food pantry donation. Or, a remarkable act of Los Angeles benevolence — allowing a driver to cut in front of you.

Such acts of kindness have a self-serving upside, too, as science has conclusively shown they also make you healthier.

Now UCLA is poised to advance that science with the Wednesday launch of the world’s first interdisciplinary research institute on kindness, which will explore, for instance, how and why being nice to others reduces depression and the risk of cancer and cardiovascular disease.

But the ultimate goal of the UCLA Bedari Kindness Institute is to spread kindness and promote a more humane world. It will develop training tools to help practice kindness and spread them through online programs, public lectures, media outreach and a free app called UCLA Mindful, which already is available. A $20 million gift from the Bedari Foundation, established by philanthropists Jennifer and Matthew C. Harris, will provide seed funding for the institute’s research projects

Every little bit ( of kindness) helps ....

In a nutshell Practice makes perfect and "Dharma Practice" makes perfect practice <3

BunkspersonVastmindlobsterelcra1goDavid

Comments

• For some ...
    Being kind to manifestations of self
    Feeding Your Demons™
    https://www.lionsroar.com/how-to-practice-feeding-your-demons/
    ... a modern interpretation of chod practice ...

Obviously this needs confidence in your powers of concentration and visualisation. A preparatory practice might be metta bhavna ...

Every little bit (of kindness) helps ....

Indeed.
    OM TARE TUTTARE TURE SOHA

BunksShoshinDavid
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

It is a good thing, spreading kindness and creating a more humane way. All little bits help indeed, whether it is research or a practical application. I look at things like Bernie Glassman’s Greyston Bakery and I see the practice that they are researching.

lobsterShoshin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

My go-to quote, is the one I could really do to put into practice more often:

"Be kind, whenever possible.
    It is ALWAYS possible".

adamcrossleylobsterShoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited November 2019

"My religion is very simple...My religion is Kindness"

~Dalai Lama~