Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@newbuddhist.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take up to 48 hours. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

My venerable MacBook Air

KeromeKerome Love, love is mysteryThe Continent Veteran
edited October 9 in General Banter

I don’t know if anyone here has an older computer, but I have a venerable and much cherished MacBook Air from mid 2011 which is about to go out of support. I have installed macOS High Sierra on it, which is the most recent OS it will run, but the last security update for what is now a three-year-old OS has just come out. I’m not yet ready to buy a new computer, and I’d like to keep this machine as my working laptop for a while yet.

So I am looking for tips how to keep this older machine secure and in working shape, and thought I’d ask to see if anyone has any advice in working with older Macs? One good tip I have had is to move from Apple’s Safari to Google Chrome, which offers an up-to-date and secure web browser even for older OS revisions.

It’s a shame that a machine which is still in good shape — I recently cleaned it, and it looks shiny and still only weighs about a kg so it’s light and is fast enough for my modest needs — is getting limited by security concerns. It wouldn’t usually be a big deal, but I do my online banking on it.

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited October 9

Is it really a concern for security or just a business model that promotes new purchases?
    I think that even if there wasn't a security concern then some other cause would be manufactured to mandate the need to buy the latest company offerings.

• KeromeKerome Love, love is mystery The Continent Veteran

Well it’s a good question. I have to say, anyone who gets nine years’ use out of a computer is doing pretty well. The laptop had six years of yearly OS updates, and has had three years of patches and security updates beyond that. So it has had a good run.

But the thing is, I don’t really need a faster laptop, and the machine has only seen light use, so it’s in very good shape. If it wasn’t for the security concern I’d still be using it for light work such as writing, doing my taxes and online banking for a good while.

So how bothered am I really about security? Well, I don’t go gallivanting off to the dark corners of the internet, so I don’t need super robustness, but an accident can happen to anyone. My stepfather once accidentally installed malware on my mother’s Mac, and that was not easy to get rid of. So I don’t think concerns are totally unfounded.

I will install Chrome, but I wonder if there is anything else I should be doing.

• You could run Linux on it <3

or at least use the Brave Browser
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_(web_browser)

edited October 10

I have quite a lot of old-but-good software on my MacBook Air, so I don’t really want to install another OS, but thanks for the suggestion @lobster. I was looking at some installer hacking that people have done to get the more recent macOS Catalina to run on older Macs, but I’m not sure I want to go down that road, at the risk of making things less stable.

I recently booted up my old Dell laptop from 2008 which was still running Windows Vista, it gave me a series of ‘out of support’ warnings when I got it running, surprising that I still remembered the password.

But I am surprised that all these old computers are still so serviceable after all this time. There has really been a sea change, I remember the days when computers would basically double in speed every two years and you’d buy a new one. Not anymore.

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Heh,
    The RAM on my late '08 MacBook Pro went kaput a couple of days ago. Had to pick up a used one today, don't have the cash right now for new. CAD440 for a Mid 2014 13".

Hopefully I'll get a few years out of it. I will need a new battery sometime soon.

edited October 11

Yeah there is a decent market for second hand Macs, a friend of mine just picked up a 21” iMac from 2017 for 498 euro’s. You can do a lot with tablets, but sometimes you still need a computer with ports.

It wouldn’t surprise me if this second-hand market had something to do with the slower pace of obsolescence of computer hardware. After all, twenty years ago you bought a computer and two years later it was half the speed of a new model, and nowadays with a new computer you only lose 10-20% speed in two years compared to a new one. It just means that today’s computers last longer, and do better second-hand.

@Kerome said:
    I was looking at some installer hacking that people have done to get the more recent macOS Catalina to run on older Macs, but I’m not sure I want to go down that road, at the risk of making things less stable.

I found out that under Catalina my old Microsoft Office 2011 package would no longer run since it included some 32-bit code. Another good reason not to upgrade, because all my taxes are done in Excel spreadsheets with that software.

But I have enabled the built-in Firewall in High Sierra, which should help make my laptop a bit more secure. Surprisingly it was switched off up to now.

edited October 17

@Kerome said:
    Yeah there is a decent market for second hand Macs, a friend of mine just picked up a 21” iMac from 2017 for 498 euro’s. You can do a lot with tablets, but sometimes you still need a computer with ports.

This turned out to be an iMac from 2010 with an SSD upgrade... she was not pleased. There is a big difference between a machine from 2017 which is still getting os support and one from 2010 which is already a retired model.

But it just goes to show how careful you have to be when picking a refurbished computer. For example, I was helping one of my uncles, who was looking at an auction site for refurbs, and he thought he had spotted a bargain, an Intel core-i7 PC going for 190 euro’s. He asked me to take a look, just as well because the CPU was a Core-i7 840 from 2009. Its easy to get confused, especially with cpu’s which have maintained the same branding for a decade.