Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@newbuddhist.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take up to 48 hours. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is it wrong to put an animal out of their misery?

milesmiles america New

I have some pet chickens and earlier today one suffered a fatal injury and was laying there dieing. There was no way she could have survived or been patched up, and if I left her to die she would have spent hours just laying there twitching and clucking, so I killed her quick and almost painless. Im not sure what I did was right since all life is sacred , but im also not sure leaving her there would have been right either. Did I do the wrong thing?

DavidShoshin1コチシカlobsterChoephalSuraShine

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Is it right to allow primates to suffer?
    Welcome to Boddhisatvas 101 ...

As a semi sentient wer-lobster and cousin cannibal cructacean carnivore, I eat 'lesser' life forms.

Increasingly we can care and do well for animals, plants and edible politicians.

Of the specifics. If able, I would have killed the chicken (and eaten your pet) 🤭

I may be evil :3
    Be kind. You were. Job done.

BunksChoephal
  • ChoephalChoephal UK Veteran
    edited April 15

One of my Tibetan teachers, one of the most gentle people have ever met, learned to drive. He lived in an English town . One day when leaving his house he ran over a hedgehog, it was in obvious great pain. So he reversed over it.
    “It was the only sane thing to do” he said.

FosdickBunkslobsterTheEccentric
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran

Is it right to let them suffer ?

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Well said @Shoshin1

We live in samsara (a nirvana pureland for the dedicated practitioners).
    We will not escape levels of karmic murder, mass slaughter of insects, eg. on vegetable crops we consume.

Hoover However, fear not. Intention and the movement towards goodwill to hedgehogs is the key.

As my dharma mother used to tell me

Be Good

Iz plan ...

TheEccentric