Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@newbuddhist.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take up to 48 hours. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How to walk

During Lockdown walking was a high risk activity. Now I am doing more. Trying my best to avoid those coughing. Quite a few in London. I have had vaccine shots but not the flu jab.

Interestingly I can feel I need to straighten up. Basically shoulders back, head up and speed walk. Great exercise.

maybe this might come in handy … eventually …
https://prepareforchange.net/2016/07/09/the-lung-gom-pa-runners-of-old-tibet/

Any walking tips?

BunksShoshin1

Comments

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Yeah - try using two canes instead of one. It balances the stride, and you can stand up nearly straight instead of hunching over and being all lopsided.

Bunks
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Also, the lamer one becomes, the more walking at all seems to become an unpleasant ordeal, weighing heavily upon the mind whenever it must be practiced. Better to regard it as an end, a practice in itself, and not at all as a means of getting from point A to point B. Don't struggle, and rejoice in the mastery of what you can do.

BunksWalkerShoshin1lobster
  • Walking sticks, mmm … sounds like a plan

Shoshin1Jeroen
  • Any walking tips?

Most important tip....Enjoy it...

Perhaps you could try spicing it up by throwing a bit of backward walking into the mix...

sharpens the senses and mental clarity.
    improves coordination.
    boosts body consciousness.
    adds variety to your training.
    strengthens less used leg muscles.
    decreases lower back pain.
    puts less strain on the knees.
    speeds up the body's metabolism.

WalkerJeroen
  • JeroenJeroen Do it with a smile Netherlands Veteran
    edited November 28

@lobster said:
    Any walking tips?

I often go for longer walks in the Dutch countryside, it’s very enjoyable if you have the better part of a day to spare. Here is what I do…

• Choose a train or bus station to start walking from, and choose one to walk to. Often others will have already mapped out decent walks online. Try https://www.ramblers.org.uk/ for a British resource.
    • Make a printout of the walk you have chosen, including map and description. Take it with you in a transparent plastic cover.
    • Take a smartphone for emergencies, navigation and taking the odd photograph en route. For the very safety conscious, you can buy walker’s emergency kits with first aid materials, flares and so on, but those are really meant for the mountains.
    • Choose a smartphone walking app that supports OpenStreetMap and topographical maps and overlay routes from .gpx files and live GPS view, this is very handy for when you’ve downloaded a route from the net but later you’re not quite sure if you’re still on your track. Try OsmAnd, which is good and not expensive.
    • Allow yourself a good hour per 4 km that you are walking, more in very hilly terrain. Four hours is a good long walk, more becomes more strenuous than is pleasurable.
    • Choose a good day for walking: not too hot, not too cold, and not rainy. Dress in layers and take a waterproof jacket just in case of showers, because weather forecasts are not perfect. Good walking shoes are a nice extra.
    • A packed lunch and enough drinking water are recommended.
    KotishkaWalker