Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How to eat

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited January 2022 in Diet & Habits

I was reading mainstream media on eating and sky meditation …
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/jan/30/easy-wins-if-stillness-isnt-for-you-you-can-meditate-while-eating

Reminded me of attending monastic settings were a clear delineation exists between those practicing mindfulness and those just eating, gibbering and living a mindless cycle of being.

I prefer using the word 'focussed' rather than 'concentrated'. Really because of the difference between tension and attention. So mindful eating is an attention to the 'taste gate' awareness.

So eating as meditation is a singular attention?
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/eat-your-way-to-enlighten_b_231308

How do you eat?

BunksJeroenVastmind

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@lobster said:

How do you eat?

Without mindfulness and usually in front of the tv or iPad. 😞

lobsterShoshin1
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

With great gusto — I enjoy my food 🍱

BunksWalkerShoshin1
  • Tee Hee @Bunks.
    You are honest … but you will not taste the food if the ipad or TV has your attention. You know that 💗

Bunks
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited January 2022

How to eat

I'm mindful of the colours of the food, its smell, its taste and how it makes me feel and like @how mentioned of where its come from and what was involved in producing it...Also how grateful and fortunate I am to have food and clean drinking water...

(the last part is not always present at mealtime, just every now and again this thought will arise...but the colour. smell, taste and how it make me feel is part of every meal...

I'm also learning how to eat humble pie, I have had to eat my words on more than one occasion...humble pie is an acquired taste .....

lobster
  • @how Well-said!

lobster
  • Eat graciously, mindfully, any way that meets your needs.
    But, for the love all that is good and sacred, DO NOT PUT WORCHESTERSHIRE ON SUSHI!
    :p=)B)<3

Peace to all

lobsterBunksShoshin1
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited January 2022

But, for the love all that is good and sacred, DO NOT PUT WORCHESTERSHIRE ON SUSHI!

Good tip. I have some sushi seaweed and Worcestershire Sauce. Nom! Nom! Nom!
    … is there nothing sacred? No! >:) … maybe it goes with humble pie? Or health cake? Vegan fish cake?
    https://www.notzen.net/2012/07/not-zen-12-everything-sacred-nothing.html

Which way does your cookie crumble?

• My friends get a good laugh when we eat together because I'm always sighing in delight at the dinner table. I read somewhere to eat every meal as if it is your last. This thought has stuck around on its own, pleasantly allowing me to enjoy each meal just a little more than before. I'm grateful for that thought, the writer of what I read, and what caused them to write it.

Bunkslobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I can understand that @FleaMarket My stepfather who is now 85 has lost a lot of capabilities over the last few years. His knees are so bad he walks around the house with a cane, and he can no longer remember what all the icons do on his iPad so he regularly gets tangled up when trying to search for something on the internet.

But he has acquired this habit of closing his eyes when he takes a bite to eat. A whole lot of pleasures may have disappeared, but boy, does he savour his food… of course there is also downside, in that he often refuses to eat food which he doesn’t find in good taste.

BunksFleaMarket