Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mindfulness at work

BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Good morning all
I work a job that requires constant thinking and decision making. Often trying to do two things at once.
Any advice on how to stay mindful?

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I wish I could remember better some of the advice I've heard over the years, it doesn't apply to my work so much so its kind of in one ear and out the other.

Anyway, I seem to remember someone saying something about taking a 3 second mindful breath every time you're about to do something common, like check an email or save a folder or something akin to that. Some sort of regular checking in and grounding.

Bunks
  • SuraShineSuraShine South Australia Veteran

Morning @Bunks

The only piece of advice I can offer is that I try to take five mins here and there and do some quick mantras to refocus. It doesn't always work, but it does help me regroup.

Sura
    xx

Bunks
  • My new friend Bot has some ideas...she can be very helpful at times...

Maintaining mindfulness at work is essential for reducing stress, improving focus, and increasing productivity. Here are some tips to help you cultivate mindfulness in the workplace:

Start your day with intention: Begin each workday by setting an intention to stay mindful throughout the day. Remind yourself of the benefits of mindfulness and how it can positively impact your work and well-being.

Create a peaceful workspace: Organize your physical environment to promote calmness and focus. Remove clutter, add plants or soothing elements, and make sure you have proper lighting. A clean and serene workspace can help support a mindful mindset.

Practice mindful breathing: Throughout the day, take breaks to focus on your breath. Close your eyes, take slow, deep breaths, and pay attention to the sensation of each inhale and exhale. This simple practice can help ground you in the present moment and reduce stress.

Be present in tasks: When working on a task, try to give it your full attention. Avoid multitasking and bring your awareness to the present moment. Engage all your senses and fully immerse yourself in the task at hand. This approach can enhance your focus and productivity.

Take mindful breaks: Incorporate short mindful breaks into your work routine. During these breaks, step away from your desk and engage in a brief mindfulness practice. It can be as simple as a short walk, stretching, or a few minutes of meditation or deep breathing exercises.

Practice active listening: When engaging in conversations or meetings, practice active listening. Give your full attention to the speaker, without judgment or interruption. Truly hearing and understanding others can enhance collaboration and build stronger relationships.

Respond, don't react: Instead of immediately reacting to stressful situations or conflicts, pause and take a mindful moment. Acknowledge your emotions, observe your thoughts, and choose a measured and thoughtful response. This approach can foster better communication and problem-solving.

Minimize distractions: Identify and minimize potential distractions in your workspace. Silence notifications on your devices, close unnecessary browser tabs, and create a focused work environment. By reducing distractions, you can maintain a more mindful and concentrated state.

Practice gratitude: Cultivate a sense of gratitude for your work and the opportunities it provides. Take a few moments each day to reflect on what you appreciate about your job, your colleagues, or your accomplishments. Gratitude can enhance overall well-being and foster a positive work environment.

Seek support: Consider joining or creating a mindfulness group at work. Collaborating with colleagues who share an interest in mindfulness can provide support, accountability, and opportunities for growth.

Remember, mindfulness is a skill that develops with practice. It may take time and patience to integrate these habits into your work routine, but the benefits are worth the effort.

BunksJeroenlobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

<3 Thanks @Shoshin1

Shoshin1
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

What they do at Plum Village is they have a mindfulness bell which goes off every so often, and then you’re supposed to take a few minutes to come back to a mindful state.

BunksSuraShine
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Today I am using a one hour Vipassana Meditation on YT that has a ringing bell every five minutes. Hoping this will help bring me back to the present moment throughout the day 🙏

SuraShine
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2023

I think I remember an instruction for practice amidst pressure and difficult responsiblities. In my past I applied it to arguments or heated discussions. The teaching was to notice amidst whatever difficulty that there is more wiggle room than it seems. Like more space to pause a moment. More space to notice an option that is less of a reaction and more of a creative moment that bubbles up from mindfulness.

And then practicing with that instruction is similar to practicing noticing the breath for a formal meditation. You start the meditation with the intention to notice the breath and then somehow in the middle of a 'thought world' you remember and notice the breath.

BunkslobsterSuraShine