Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Recognising bad food and drink

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

So after a couple of days ago trying that IJsbock beer, it reminded me why I had dropped alcohol a few years ago. My sensitivity to these things has become such that it just isn’t a pleasant experience to drink alcoholic beverages. If you really pay attention to it, there is a little rush when you start, then you feel a bit ill, then rather dull, then a long period of feeling somewhat unstable. The long tail of unpleasant feelings makes it not worthwhile to drink.

And last night, I had some espresso coffee at about 3 am, and was awake until 6 experiencing in extreme detail how coffee also produces a rush, and then a protracted period of inner energetic grinding. That’s not the first time I have noticed that, and it has put me in mind that really looking at what your body is telling you is a good guide for what is good and what is not. So I have resolved to go off coffee for a while as well.

It seems to me that as your mindfulness increases, you become more sensitive to these things.

marcitkoFleaMarketFosdickBunksIdleChaterLionduckShoshin1

Comments

• With my diet I've been experiencing the same. There are foods that, apart from their little to zero nutrition value, they make your insulin levels fluctuate in such a way that it causes you to experience hunger more often and intenser, as well as acting in your brain the same way as some drugs: easy and quick and strong reward (feeling good, delicious taste, etc). It also leaves you tired, foggy; inevitably getting fat and unhealthy.

Now that I'm eating clean, I've had two instances were I had these treats: two small pieces of chocolate and, in another ocassion, 3 cookies. They do feel funny, but I guess as long as the quantity is relatively small it does not become a problem.

With alcohol I had the same experience as you, I hardly drink now. Never liked it and I mainly did it because of "social pressure" or "custom". Now I'm a proud water drink.

Though I have a weak spot for sake from Nagano....

marcitko
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Sounds like a way of eating that seems to be getting some traction called intuitive eating.

https://www.webmd.com/diet/what-is-intuitive-eating

Ren_in_black
  • @Jeroen said:
    My sensitivity to these things has become such that it just isn’t a pleasant experience to drink alcoholic beverages. If you really pay attention to it, there is a little rush when you start, then you feel a bit ill, then rather dull, then a long period of feeling somewhat unstable. The long tail of unpleasant feelings makes it not worthwhile to drink.

This is my experience with alcohol too. Same-same with coffee in the afternoons. Also, foods like pizza, McDonalds...

And last night, I had some espresso coffee at about 3 am, and was awake until 6 experiencing in extreme detail how coffee also produces a rush, and then a protracted period of inner energetic grinding. That’s not the first time I have noticed that, and it has put me in mind that really looking at what your body is telling you is a good guide for what is good and what is not. So I have resolved to go off coffee for a while as well.

Good for you. I'd like to quit coffee too. I notice again and again how if I drink one in the afternoons it impacts me negatively. I do not notice the same for the morning coffee, but since I drink it every single morning, I have nothing to compare it to, so it might be that it is still impacting me negatively, I just don't notice it. I read recently that 90% of people on Earth drink coffee every day - wow.

It seems to me that as your mindfulness increases, you become more sensitive to these things.

I'm glad you've noticed and written this. This is because I've had this theory for some time now - as a way of explaining why this stuff impacts me so negatively these days, while I could indulge with little or no problems when younger. It's either mindfulness or plain old aging :)

The goal, to me at least, seems simple and clear, though not trivial to attain, lead a clean life in order to attain the greatest well-being.

Jeroen
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@marcitko said:
    It's either mindfulness or plain old aging :)

Maybe it’s a bit of both. I’ve been reading your blog, and I have a lot of admiration for the fact that you keep on returning to your efforts. A bad day seems to be a spur to doing better the next day, it’s a good attitude.

For me after a few days without coffee my inner experience is smoother, more level. I find it easy to wake up in the morning, have a cup of tea and then go back to bed for a short nap, only to wake up refreshed.

I’ve been eating relatively little, weight was down another 0.5 kg this morning, and I’m paying attention to what my body tells me.

marcitkolobster
  • Just wanted to add:

I've been noticing how the quality of mind (thoughts) is very much influenced by what I'm doing.

For instance, if I'm smoking they're more negative, brooding. If I'm exercising they're more positive and supporting of the good.

I've asked several friends whether they notice this and they all said they do.

• Smoking always gives me this sense of discomfort now. Obviously, my body is getting filled with smoke which is not good. Funny enough the cloud of "youthness" makes all these physical symptoms seem less of a deal and then you hit the 30 range and suddenly, you become "more mindful of them". Yet some people seem in denial or simply aren't as affected.

Breakfast is the most important meal for me to start off well. One piece of brown bread (90 grams) cut in half, toasted, scrapped tomatos, sheep cheese, olive oil and a cup of black coffee. AuuuuuuuUuuUUUU!

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

The classic Lanzarote breakfast ;)

Kotishka
  • Anyone else recommend me a delicious and protein rich meal? I'm thinking about chili SIN carne.

• IdleChaterIdleChater USA Veteran

@Jeroen said:
    So after a couple of days ago trying that IJsbock beer, it reminded me why I had dropped alcohol a few years ago. My sensitivity to these things has become such that it just isn’t a pleasant experience to drink alcoholic beverages. If you really pay attention to it, there is a little rush when you start, then you feel a bit ill, then rather dull, then a long period of feeling somewhat unstable. The long tail of unpleasant feelings makes it not worthwhile to drink.

That's a pretty good reason to not drink.

Most people I know drink for the same reasons you've decided to lay off.

Well, I wouldn't try an espresso at 3 am. The effects you describe are precisely why people drink coffee. I don't get the rush. To me, a rush is a sudden, immediate, intense, powerful experience. Like taking cocaine - it just hits you. Now. Hard. Pow! Coffee kinda slides into my experience. If I got a rush from a cup of espresso, I probably wouldn't drink it, either. At least not very much.

• What food is "Good" or "Bad" differs among individual. It also varies as we mature. As a child, I could not tolerate "Rich" foods. When I grew up, those "Rich" foods became a part of my regular diet. My dtr used to enjoy shellfish. In her 20s, shellfish, especially shrimp, became a '"Bad" food with severe allergies.
    We must each be aware if which foods are "Good" or "Bad" even as we must learn and understand which of our actions are "Good" or beneficial and which are "Bad" or detrimental to ourselves and/or others.

Please be safe, be healthy, enjoy your lives.

Peace to all

marcitkoKotishkalobster
  • Behold!

Shoshin1lobster

That looks very healthy @Kotishka, how are you going to find the bad properties in that? ;)

Kotishka
  • @Kotishka said:
    Anyone else recommend me a delicious and protein rich meal? I'm thinking about chili SIN carne.

Not a specific meal but scrambled eggs are very versatile. You can style them with whatever you're feeling like. I tend to throw left overs in with them too. It just seems to work out fairly well each time since you're picking the additions day to day. My favorites are with chopped pico de gallo with chunked spam or I like adding some pinto beans and onions with some salsa. Can even get creative with sardines and tangy kalamata olives. Lots of choices.

marcitko