Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Eight Worldly Preoccupations

1. Hope for happiness
2. Fear of suffering
3. Hope for fame
4. Fear of insignificance
5. Hope for praise
6. Fear of blame
7. Hope for gain
8. Fear of loss

Taken together, these preoccupations represent attachment and aversion.

personVastmindShoshin1paulysotoolobsterLionduck

Comments

• Reminds me of some of my mental health manuals.

Are you studying the Abhidharma? It does include a fascinating and interesting analysis. It is surprisingly missing in most psychology books (not even one mention..), yet Buddhism sometimes does not like to mingle or receive the label of "philosophy of mind".

Good day!

lobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

They are also known as the Eight Worldly Winds.

• IdleChaterIdleChater USA Veteran

These are often presented as 4 pairs: 1 & 2, 3 & 4 and so on.

Taken that way, they are opposites. The first is happiness and suffering. Happiness and suffering are opposites. It's the "opposites" that are most important. Preoccupation with happiness is an obstacle, as is one with suffering. Both are conditioned and ever-changing. Illusion. By being preoccupied with both, like seeking to avoid suffering and finding happiness, you introduce duality. A preoccupation with one is a preoccupation with the_ other_.

Vastmind
  • paulysotoopaulysotoo usa Explorer

@IdleChater said:
    1. Hope for happiness
    2. Fear of suffering
    3. Hope for fame
    4. Fear of insignificance
    5. Hope for praise
    6. Fear of blame
    7. Hope for gain
    8. Fear of loss

Taken together, these preoccupations represent attachment and aversion.

hate and love.the trick in my daozen is accept both nature.a mudra to fold left hand of hate to the right hand of love and say be well. the space between hand folded is my tantric effort be the namaste. to error is human to forgive is divine.

the middleway fron extreames is our buddha dharma approach. train the energy in thought what is your balance, center of being. in daozen train in the middle, we practice this is enough for me in our ego channels. for example praise and blame. acnowledge both, praise is nice, and blame is good to do better.

• LionduckLionduck Veteran

These hopes and fears, these hindrances, are such only if we give them the power to do so. After all, the hindrances are really reflections/effects of/arising from our mindset.
    The eight hindrances are called such because they cloud our minds and hinder your actions if you allow them to.
    We must strive to be self-aware without arrogance. We must come to accept our being and to accept others (and ourselves) as true gems of life.
    A bodhissattva celebrates the success/gain of others and morns their losses, even as he/she lives his/her own life's challenges, knowin also that life is change and that momentary gains and losses are efemeral.

Peace to all

lobster

@Lionduck said:

The eight hindrances are called such because they cloud our minds and hinder your actions if you allow them to.

agree. the shine is our clear heartmind to disspel coudy thinking. duality is not an exlude this or that proposition. the"I"making or energy in thought make both propostion this or thought as options to learn and grow what is sutable to your "I" ability. the buddhist goal is to move past cloudy thinking into the clear void of peace that anything is not mutualy exlusive to realise volition is the beauty of freewill given to us on dao earth or maa dharma.

We must strive to be self-aware without arrogance. We must come to accept our being and to accept others (and ourselves) as true gems of life.

zen for me help flex E^3 "I" be state. to see we same

A bodhissattva celebrates the success/gain of others and morns their losses, even as he/she lives his/her own life's challenges, knowin also that life is change and that momentary gains and losses are efemeral.

life is full of wonder, may we all play with the bird, bees and tree. zen bodhissattva is fun, mantra: why so serious. simple living "I"be is peace and love what dao earth given.ty ma dharmakeya.

Peace to all

i love love eating duck tantra.

Lionduck